Awoo.

Christopher Evan Welch, R.I.P. (NOT TAILS VOICE)

Big Panda

I never really watched Adventures of Sonic, but he did a good Tails from everything I have seen. If his age was 48, he clearly had a remarkable talent, being able to voice a child believably despite being a post-pubescent male. It's a rare skill, and it's a shame to see him go at such a young age.

Even if he's younger than reported, still a sad death, as that means he wasn't even middle aged.

Rest in Peace.

Yeah, I sort of held off posting in here, since it was a bit sad to hear. If it really is him that died, it is sad that now a second major person from the show is gone, especially Tails at that. If it really is him that died, then RIP. Sad that we lost him.

Bu-bu-but Tails's voice was like the most adorable thing to come out of that show

nooooooo :(

May Welch RIP.

Very sad news, one of my voice overs from the games and tv shows. Gone but not forgotten by the fans of the show

I've been investigating this for a better part of the day. Once I hear back from the many people I contacted, I'll share what I learned.

I'm on the fence. After writing the article on SEGAbits and Retro I looked into it further and there are some contradictions...

I must admit, there are a few things here that I'm not so sure about. Even when looking into it yesterday theres a few things to suggest that Variety have got it collossally wrong.

First off, they spell his name wrong at one point in their own article.

The age is the biggest red flag though that something isn't quite right.

Edit: Hollywood reporter has a lot more including quotes from some people. They too are saying it's the AOSTH voice actor.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/actor-christopher-evan-welch-dies-661638

Edit 2: According to some of the commnets on variety... the following people claim to have known him...

Before going to The University of Washington, Chris was a reigning king of the drama department at The University of Dallas, where he elevated the bar for all of us who had the good fortune to be in plays with him there. Extreme wit, comic genius, intellectual acumen–and dedication to the craft of acting that was way beyond his then-tender years. The only grace in this horrible news is that he was able to squeeze more out of 48 years on earth than most actors–or people in general–ever do.

Chris was in the first graduating class that I taught in the Professional Actor Training Program at The University of Washington. His untimely death is a tragedy for him, for his family, for those of us who knew him and for his audiences – past, and future, who will miss his particular brand of himself that he brought to everything. Rest in Peace.

Christopher Evan Welch made his debut in my world in 1989 behind the MUSIC and DRAMATIC ARTS Building on the gorgeous University of Washington campus on my first day of Grad School.

If he was at grad school in 1989, that would put him at 48 wouldn't it?

It's now just a question as to if variety have their facts in order, which I'm not sure anymore that they do.

Edit 4: It gets even more confusing.

Internet Movie Database shows images of both Christophers, only the profile is for the AOSTH voice actor and they have listed him as being deceased

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0919525/

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess we can conclude that Rubicon Christopher and Tails Christopher were NOT the same person judging by these facts but they share the same name...but, which one is deceased? Wikipedia has him labelled as 31 while the newspapers and all that are saying 48, the Rubicon Chris looks much older than Tails Chris in my eyes.

I guess we can conclude that Rubicon Christopher and Tails Christopher were NOT the same person judging by these facts but they share the same name...but, which one is deceased? Wikipedia has him labelled as 31 while the newspapers and all that are saying 48, the Rubicon Chris looks much older than Tails Chris in my eyes.

The two photos you're referring to are the same man, Christopher Evan Welch. Every photo out there depicting Christopher Evan Welch is the same man (the 1993 photo, the two in your post, and the ones on the many entertainment sites).

What Hogfather and I are talking about is the age of Christopher Evan Welch. However, I think the age doesn't need to be disputed anymore. Christopher Evan Welch was around 48 when he passed away. This is backed up by the 1993 photos, testimonials from those who saw him perform in the 90's, the year he attended grad school. This means that in 1993, Christopher Evan Welch was around 28.

So either Christopher Evan Welch voiced Tails at 28 and was a very good voice actor, or there are two Christopher Welch's: Christopher Evan Welch who has passed away at 48 with all the credits BUT Tails under his belt and a Christopher Welch who voiced Tails in 1993 and hasn't done anything in the entertainment industry since and no photos were taken of the guy. 

I always thought it was Christopher Evan Welch who voiced Tails, but on further inspection of the credits of the actual show, I see this:

vlcsnap-2013-12-04-19h21m51s74.png

Source: Shout! Factory DVD Release Volume 1 Disc 2, Close Encounter of the Sonic Kind

Christopher Welch. Yet everything I had heard prior, and (until about an hour ago) the Wikipedia page said that it was Christopher Evan Welch. Man, I'm confused...

Edited by Frogging101

Christopher Welch. Yet everything I had heard prior, and (until about an hour ago) the Wikipedia page said that it was Christopher Evan Welch. Man, I'm confused...

It could just be that they didn't include his middle name...

Ian James Corlett has his middle name, that's part of the confusion.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I forgot to include that thought in my post for some reason though.

Ian James Corlett has his middle name, that's part of the confusion.

But Jaleel White, Garry Chalk, and Phil Hayes don't, either.  Some people prefer to be credited in full, others just first and last.  Others, like Long John Baldry, go by a stage name.  One actor having their middle name included while the others do not really means nothing in the long run.

Typically actors and crew members include their middle name to differentiate themselves from other people who are registered with various guilds.

Typically actors and crew members include their middle name to differentiate themselves from other people who are registered with various guilds.

The fact that Wikipedia does not have a list of different people named Christopher Welch leads me to assume that there aren't enough people with that name for him to have ever considered it important.

Or, if the articles are wrong and he's actually younger than 48, then it could have been a decision on his parents' part.  Either way, it's not indicative one way or the other that it's a different Christopher Welch.

While the actual identity is still up in the air, I suppose either way, an actor died while still in his prime, so it's sad regardless.

Ignore the wikipedia page.

Aparently it didn't exist until 48 hours ago and it's been in an edit war ever since.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ignore the wikipedia page.

Aparently it didn't exist until 48 hours ago and it's been in an edit war ever since.

That is correct. It did exist back in 2011 but was deleted due to not being considered notable (a policy which I disagree with, but whatever).

If this is still up in the air, perhaps after some time to allow for the healing process, someone could reach out to his wife? She started a memorial page on facebook for him so there is a small possibility she might be able to shed some light on the situation.

But, yeah, I am going with how this is NOT the same actor. Even before all of this, I had a hard time believing this guy was the same one that voiced Tails in AOSTH whenever I saw him linked up to the role just because of sharing the same/similar name.

However as I more or less stated before, what work I have seen of his, he seemed like a talented individual and will surely be missed by those that knew him well.

Welp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF33hg1bfxQ
The video suggests that AoStH's Christopher Welch and Christopher EVAN Welch are two totally different actors. Tails' Welch would have been 28 when the cartoon aired in 1993. Listen to that voice, I don't even know how a twenty-eight year old is supposed to be able to SOUND like that.

Regardless, may Christopher Evan Welch rest in peace.

Ok so I might have found a possible way to know for sure... or at least get a really good idea.

According to a really old website I found which also lists AOSTH in the acting credits. Christopher Evan Welch had a role in Law and Order in 1990.

If we could find that, it's likely we could get a very good idea as to if it's the same guy.

Alternatively... attempt to contact other cast members on the show and ask for their help in confirming.

The voice of Coconuts doesn't remember Christopher Evan Welch: https://twitter.com/IanJames007/status/408621038428123136

Then again, he may mean he doesn't remember ever meeting the voice of Tails. I hope he replies to my follow-up. I've already reached out to the voice of Grounder and Jaleel White himself. And I tastefully asked on the memorial page.

Ok so I might have found a possible way to know for sure... or at least get a really good idea.

According to a really old website I found which also lists AOSTH in the acting credits. Christopher Evan Welch had a role in Law and Order in 1990.

If we could find that, it's likely we could get a very good idea as to if it's the same guy.

Alternatively... attempt to contact other cast members on the show and ask for their help in confirming.

I do not think he was in L&O in 1990. He did appear on the series in 2008, 2009, and 2010.