Awoo.

YouTube and Google +

Xtremer Sadiqachu

And the whole of YouTube breathed a collective sigh of relief.

So this is real and not a fake article right? I can get my hopes up?

The only reason why I bothered registering a Google account is so that I could comment on YouTube and rate their videos and keep playlists of what I have already watched and what I still need to watch.

I don't use Gmail as my primary email service. In fact, I only log into it like once in a whole year. I prefer Outlook.com and Mail.com instead.

And yes, those who know me for a long time should know that I did have a separate pure YouTube account in the past before the days of the integration/merger. But that was the past.

That means no more google and youtube being one?

No, Google will still be the owner of the YouTube property. They're just doing away with the whole Google+ integration that they've been trying to push for a while now, to a toxic (to say the least) reception.

I wonder what this means for the other services that they forced into the Google+ ecosystem (albeit more beneficially)? GoogleDocs, Picasa, Gmail and the like.

It really is a shame, because Google+ really would have been a fantastic one-stop shop for most typical PC usage if the social network aspect hadn't been forced to be the main focus of it about two years too late for people to want it. I constantly use GoogleDocs for work, and Picasa has basically become the only thing I use for hosting photos. GMail I rarely actually use, but it is good for setting up a dummy account for things you want but think might lead to spam. With the Android functionality built into all of it to boot Google might have had a winner with it if they tried their hand more casually.

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know, I never disliked the idea behind Google+ integration, but I just wish it was never forced on us. As an option for users to have a consistent browsing experience, that's where the idea was a good one. But Google went too far with it, and its services suffered for it.

Them removing Google+ seems like a loss of some potential, but it's for the best in the long run if Google isn't going to be smart with it.

You know... 

I don't know if I'd consider this good news or not.

Don't get me wrong, I really disliked Google+ and I still find it all but useless, I have seen utterly no benefit to having it when I use youtube or upload content to it. 

Ok scratch that, there is one thing I love about it, and that's by getting notifications when I open a new tag as opposed to getting an email. I like that.

But aside from that, comment moderation on my own videos, replying to comments, replying to videos, rating videos. None of this stuff should have (and I I evidenced earlier in this topic didn't need) google+.

However...

Now google+ as a requirement is coming to an end. 

And I bet it's going to cause nothing but problems for those who have linked/signed up for it. You can bet that there will be issues, hell there were issues with people signing up and linking their G+ accounts to it. So you can only imagine the delights that will follow when people unlink their accounts

"Oh fuck! Where have my videos gone!?"

That is... if you'll be able to unlink your accounts? I cannot see google, since they're a services company, allowing people to unlink accounts, not without some consequence.

And then I think "Well if they do go as far as to abandon G+, what does that mean for those of us who did link? You know unlinking or reverting back will not be smooth and simple, nothing google ever does goes smooth or simple.

You know... 

I don't know if I'd consider this good news or not.

Don't get me wrong, I really disliked Google+ and I still find it all but useless, I have seen utterly no benefit to having it when I use youtube or upload content to it. 

Ok scratch that, there is one thing I love about it, and that's by getting notifications when I open a new tag as opposed to getting an email. I like that.

But aside from that, comment moderation on my own videos, replying to comments, replying to videos, rating videos. None of this stuff should have (and I I evidenced earlier in this topic didn't need) google+.

However...

Now google+ as a requirement is coming to an end. 

And I bet it's going to cause nothing but problems for those who have linked/signed up for it. You can bet that there will be issues, hell there were issues with people signing up and linking their G+ accounts to it. So you can only imagine the delights that will follow when people unlink their accounts

"Oh fuck! Where have my videos gone!?"

That is... if you'll be able to unlink your accounts? I cannot see google, since they're a services company, allowing people to unlink accounts, not without some consequence.

And then I think "Well if they do go as far as to abandon G+, what does that mean for those of us who did link? You know unlinking or reverting back will not be smooth and simple, nothing google ever does goes smooth or simple.

Good thing I have copies of my videos I UPLOADED :D.

Good thing I have copies of my videos I UPLOADED biggrin.png.

Very good practice, if I do say so myself.

• 1 month later...

So something came up. Dunno if it's just me or the entire site... But here's a page yesterday (click on the image plz):

hEmEcdS.png

And here's the same page today (quality shit, click on image):

MWnor4t.png

So the player seems to have suffered a case of DerpTube induced elephantitis.

• 2 weeks later...

So YouTube has once again redesigned the site because the last one still wasn't convoluted enough for them.

I kept wondering where my playlists were. Why are they so obsessed with constantly changing things even if it becomes more inconvenient as a result?

Hey guys, remember when Google said they were gonna segregate G+ from youtube?

lachen.jpg

The only thing that I'm noticing is the bigger default video player, which I really don't mind.

The only thing that I'm noticing is the bigger default video player, which I really don't mind.

I've only noticed that in chrome, but in firefox the theater mode is still the same size as the default in the chrome redesign.

Oh hey now I don't need to use a Firefox addon to get Youtube videos to center on the screen.

So yeah. YouTube is getting 60fps support soon! Here's one of the first videos to run at a proper 60fps on YouTube.

This is EXTREMELY exciting, especially for people who capture PC gaming footage and also current gen games too.

Is the quality still gonna be that awful? Because if it is, all this means is a more glitchy mess is thrown at you per minute. 

Is the quality still gonna be that awful? Because if it is, all this means is a more glitchy mess is thrown at you per minute. 

I don't see how the video looks bad or glitchy to be honest.

Can someone tell me why annotations aren't showing up for me? I have youtube center disabled, I have Tampermonkey disabled, I have "annotations" set to "on", but they don't show up. This is all on Google Chrome?

Can someone please tell me how to fix this? I've asked this question multiple times and I'm tired of it being ignored. if you don't have a solution, just say so.

• 1 year later...