Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

The facts do seem to point to Inafune not trusting Capcom to handle the Megaman franchise well. The mishandling of the canceled Megaman games was the focal point of his resignation. This realization isn't claiming my fears that Inafune intended his project to replace the former.

I don't expect he meant it to replace Mega Man any more than Legends replaced the Classic series, comrade.

Those games wern't even his projects to begin with, Lost Planet and DmC with forced projects on him, can't blame him for the decisions he made and how they turned out overall. didn't he even outsource Dead Rising to Blue Castle before their merger? That turned out real well (I mean it I'm playing the shit out of DR2 and the DLCs as I speak!)

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't expect he meant it to replace Mega Man any more than Legends replaced the Classic series, comrade.

Well Classic and Legends were always intended to exist side-by-side. And of course that was before Inafune's falling out with Capcom. Their opinions towards each other have changed obviously.

well on another note, really hoping for Wii-u version

It'll probably happen at this rate.

Want to ensure it? Back it. Spread the word.

Anyone arguing the man's a dick for preferring Western developers and causing DmC, have they played Metroid Prime? That'd kinda be relevant.

Just saying.

How about we wait and see what Capcom does, hm? If they announce a big Mega Man game to try to compete and take sales back, we'll see if Inafune decides to take them on full force or put up the gloves now that Mega Man's back. Either we get Mega Man back or we get to franchises that are both very similar and also great in their own right.

Who knows? Maybe we'll get another Saints Row situation, where the first game is practically a clone of something else and two titles later it's completely different.

• Thumbs Up 3

Who knows? Maybe we'll get another Saints Row situation, where the first game is practically a clone of something else and two titles later it's completely different.

Inafune designed X from scratch and put a lot of thought into it, Zero and ZX, so I'm almost expecting Mighty No. 9 to evolve massively if it ever makes it past one game.

Edited by SuperLink

Considering it isn't one of the shit rpgs, it'll probably be fine.

As long as I can fucking dash jump >:U

ZX,

I don't think any thought was put into ZX.

Edited by Solkia

Well now that we know we'll actually get to play the game - 

What do you guys want it to play like? Personally I've always been a bigger fan of X than Classic, so I'm hoping it has the fluidity and action of that game. Could never really get into Classic Megaman for some reason. ... Except Powered Up. Powered Up was the shit.

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 1

Basically what Solkia said. Of course, with the stuff they talked about (transformations for enemy weapons, gaining powers from normal enemies) added on to that. 

I'd be fine with a more classic style too (no dash or walljump) but I'd prefer X style. 

I'd love it to be some kind of perfect mix of both X and Classic. I hugely prefer X or Zero gameplay to the Classic series, dashes and wallhops and swords and shit! I can personally see it having a lot of inspirations from X and Zero rather than focusing on Classic too much, I think Inafune considers X among his greatest work and I think a lot of people would agree.

So yeah ideally I want it to have X gameplay perhaps with the solidness of Classic or the powerup mechanic of Classic.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a bit of X's influence. Dashing and wall jumping opened up a lot of options.

I also feel like the Megaman series never really hit a good balance with the special weapons. A lot of them were too weak, too expensive, or too situational to get much use unless you knew the game inside and out, and switching always felt kind of clumsy (opening a full-screen menu is a huge flow breaker, and while being able to scroll through without pausing helps, trying to remember where to find one of 9+ weapons and identify it by just color and/or icon is a bit much to do while moving). So hopefully however they implement boss weapons will have a bit more thought towards usefulness and usability.

• Thumbs Up 4

Agreed on different weapons, that's something I didn't like much about the Classic series.

When they implement it this time I'm hoping it's far more streamlined? It was pretty quick and easy to use in ZX due to lack of loading and stuff, no opening menus and pressing select until you got the one you wanted.

Edited by SuperLink

In reaction to Mighty No.9 surpassing one million:

tumblr_mmy7173cTR1ry4q0lo1_500.gif

And this came up too.

tumblr_msghsh0JB91rwal5so1_500.jpg

Warning, may make Legends fans super Salty.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a bit of X's influence. Dashing and wall jumping opened up a lot of options.

I also feel like the Megaman series never really hit a good balance with the special weapons. A lot of them were too weak, too expensive, or too situational to get much use unless you knew the game inside and out, and switching always felt kind of clumsy (opening a full-screen menu is a huge flow breaker, and while being able to scroll through without pausing helps, trying to remember where to find one of 9+ weapons and identify it by just color and/or icon is a bit much to do while moving). So hopefully however they implement boss weapons will have a bit more thought towards usefulness and usability.

The added speed and mobility of wall jumps and dashing were a lot of fun. I too hope they come back.

In terms of weapons being useful, I think X1 actually nailed that really well. Most of the weapons really have their uses. 

-Chameleon Sting's invincibility function was crazy useful for getting by enemies that are tough to dodge.

-Rolling Shield's charged up barrier defeated weak enemies instantly and wouldn't break unless it hit something tougher, making areas like the climb into Sigma's fortress even easier. 

-Storm Tornado was FUCKING STORM TORNADO. Shreds anything in 1 or 2 hits. Enemies, mini-bosses, you name it. 

-Fire Wave was decent. Wasn't special, but it was powerful enough. Makes those grinder tank things in Armored Armadillo's stage die pretty much instantly with a charged shot. Plus, flamethrowers are cool.

-Homing Torpedo and Boomerang Cutter were good at hitting things that aren't directly in front of you. B.C. slightly less so.

-Electric Spark and Shotgun Ice were pretty useless though.

X2's weapons weren't that bad either, but X3's weapons were all terrible, except for Triad Thunder.

-snip comic-

Godspeed Mighty No. 9.

It's creepy, I made the exact same comic post, with the SAME quote underneath about 5-6 pages back.

get out of my head.

No seriously, Get Out.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's creepy, I made the exact same comic post, with the SAME quote underneath about 5-6 pages back.

get out of my head.

No seriously, Get Out.

Huh, wait, this isn't my house? Oops.

(but my bad I looked back a page or two and didn't see it, you win this round)

• Thumbs Up 1

I for one -- well, many as it would seem -- is definitely looking forward to playing this game on whatever it comes out on.

Anyway, here's something pretty cool. A question on twitter was brought up about the chances of Mighty No. 9 appearing on the 3DS.

CLICK ME!!

Short and sweet, they're not sure at the moment. However, word got to the folks over at Renegade Kid and they offered to work on the possible 3DS port. It's currently under consideration.

For those that don't know. Renegade Kid are the guys that made Mutant Mudds, the Dementium series and Moon. That was pretty cool of them to offer a helping hand. The support this game is getting is really amazing!

Edited by YoshiUnity

Gameplay-wise, I'm agreeing with some others they should take more inspiration from the X series than Classic, at least in terms of movement. Perhaps it's because I played X first, but I never could get into the Classic series.

That being said, maybe they'll come up with some new moves as well. Of course, there's already those transformations that seem really cool and could offer something unique, but yeah. I'm just really excited to see this game, aaaaa ;w;

I definitely wouldn't mind if Mighty No. 9 took more after the X and Zero series than classic gameplay-wise, but I still enjoy the classic series for what it is and it's pretty obvious that it's using that as its base. Besides, I'm tired of the grim and dark side of the later Mega Man series. I just want to go back to playing as a robot boy with the personality of a cheerleader.

• Thumbs Up 2