Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Debut Trailer

Carbo

Sonic Lost World?

MORE LIKE SONIC THIS GAME IS GOING TO MAKE ME HURL

no but seriously i'm digging that artstyle and gameplay

the level design is kinda boring

• Thumbs Up 1

Those Motobugs are... really detailed. I don't recall them looking that detailed in the previous Sonic games.

Motobug.png

to

250px-Motobug_generations.png

to

YahzI12.png

They're not exactly as detailed as the Colours/Generations designs, per-se, but they're far more endearing than they've ever been! Hell, the whole art style is; it's so much more poppy and colourful than Generations was and easily blows it's Green Hill out of the water, purely because it retains more of the cartoony and simplistic charm of the original. It's like an actual proper 3D version of the original sprites without doing what SA2 did.

Edit: Oh wow, just noticed the totem poles are there too! <3

Edited by t0ms0nic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, there's just a lack of oomph here, I dunno what it is, new Sonic stuff just doesn't seem to have that immensely frenzied, must pre-order now excitement that it used to for me anymore.

prolly for the best

meanwhile at sega forums

They don't look right - they don't follow the Iizuka-san style - even Colours has more detail. That said, people shouldn't blame Nintendo, this game would have been in development a lot longer than you realise. Hopefully when the compression artefacts are gone we can look over this again.

wow

Holy shit, SEGA!

You're doing it right!

Don't say that, they'll get complacent and fuck up again!

I was screaming "OH MY GOD" the entire time. I don't think a Sonic game has done that to me.

Day 1 purchase

Alright, not sure if this was self-explanatory or not, but for me, it took a bit to figure out. All the "Walls" are actually multiple paths, which now defeats my worry of linear level design. Here's a quick picture showing how they are paths. You can see springs and such which prove it. Again, I'm probably like the 1% who didn't realize this, but inc ase some others haven't either, this is for you.

lostworld.png

• Thumbs Up 7

I for one am happy to see more simplistic backgrounds and level geometry, you know why? This likely means they'll be able to competently develop more stages than before when the primary focus of Unleashed and Generations was to create the most beautiful looking stages possible. Not that they weren't fun games, but the majority of their budget obviously went into making each and every section of every level as beautiful as possible, making it difficult for them to create more than 18 stages.

This time around, I'm hoping that the more simplistic looks works out in our favor so that there can be more than one or two acts per "World", ala Colors. Since there are presumably 6-8 worlds indicated by the amount of guardians (I say 6-8 because there are 6 guardians, plus one final world, plus Green Hill which might be an introductory level before Sonic sets out to the 'Lost World'), I'm hoping that there will be more than two acts per world.

tl;dr The less detailed environments could be a good thing because it allows the developers to create more levels.

Edited by Solid SOAP
  • Thumbs Up 5

This does look quite excellent at face value, I have no almost no doubt that its gonna be pretty fun and worth a buy...
But I also know that colors gameplay became old to me pretty fast because of how linear it was.
I am also not a big fan of the way the 2D sections feel in recent games...I enjoy the 3D sections much more.

On another note though, Sonics wider selection of moves and him actually slowing down here and there appeals to me.
The old games were just as much if not more about platforming than speed, I am hoping this game finds that balance.

Much like everyone else, I got a Sonic Xtreme and Mario Galaxy vibe almost immediatly.
I really do miss playing as knuckles...and tails...

I would also like to see the inclusion of the spin dash somehow.
I enjoyed using it to drift quite a bit in Generations.

Edited by TheDanimator
  • Thumbs Up 1

So I was thinking. This is clearly GREEN HILL ZONE.

Reboot... of levels? Or SEGA is pulling another nostalgia move and bringing classic levels back re-imaginated? Could that ice area be...

NO. THEY DIDN'T.

ICE.

CAP.

• Thumbs Up 1

With that awkward moment when

S4_Motobug_Sprite.png

YOU

I WANTED TO FORGET ABOUT YOU

GET AWAY FROM ME WITH THOSE EYES

• Thumbs Up 8

If the 3DS version looks anything like the Wii U version then methinks the level designs are gonna really pop when the 3D is turned on. Very nice.

Also, 3DS is going to play like classic Generations, apparently?

soniclostworld052413coverjpg-50e1e9.jpg

If that's true, then this will be my reaction;

Hey look, that 3DS screen doesn't look like DS quality. I think we may get something good out of this. Especially if boost is gone.

I really hope the 3DS one isn't lazy and short..

Ok I've calmed down somewhat and wanted to apologise for freaking out about the Mario comparisons. I will say that there are worse franchises it could be compared to!

I also don't blame anyone for being sceptical, this is the Sonic series we're talking about afterall, and as someone who finds it hard to enjoy Sonic games released between 2002 and 2008 I can't really talk! I do feel good about it though and it looks like that's the majority opinion I guess?

Also I wanna say that so far my biggest disappointment is actually a pretty petty one with the guardians. Mostly how they seem to be "a group of guys with a token girl". I can't say this enough times, but jesus being female can't define an entire character. You can't just say "this character's insane, this one's dumb, this one's badass, this one's emo, and this one's A GIRL!!"

GOD NO. STOP DOING THAT, MEDIA. GIRL IS NOT A CHARACTER DEFINING TROPE.

Character groups which are all male + one girl are a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

• Thumbs Up 5

Also, 3DS is going to play like classic Generations, apparently?

soniclostworld052413coverjpg-50e1e9.jpg

Wait...where'd you find this?

the gameplay looks good also the graphics, but these guardians seem to crap, I would have preferred to Metal Sonic as the main villain.

Watching the trailer again, there are plenty of moments where I could see a lot of platforming opportunities.

If I had a Wii U, I would totally be getting this. It just looks so exciting, being able to see your path spiraling into the background like that, running on the sides and on the walls, I think this will fit Sonic's speed and style quite well. Also, that background.

GOD NO. STOP DOING THAT, MEDIA. GIRL IS NOT A CHARACTER DEFINING TROPE.

Character groups which are all male + one girl are a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

I think the Slumpy one might be a girl too. Looks sorta feminine anyway...