Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Debut Trailer

Carbo

Everyone kind of exploded at the gameplay.
I like what they appear to have done to the movement and stuff. I really do. I'm still not convinced of the tube-in-the-sky level design. Also, while the visuals are nice and colourful, the backgrounds really bug me. Why do the hills look like they've been lifted from a Mario game? Why is the terrain so flat? I dunno, maybe it doesn't matter cause its just background stuff, and maybe I've been spoiled by the hugely detailed backgrounds of Unleashed, Colours and Generations, but I would have preferred more naturalistic terrain for the stuff that is below the actual levels......The backgrounds is perhaps the most Mario-looking thing in the game, and I really don't like it.

I need to see a bit more before I jump on the hype train on this one. Its a new formula so I always take a step back to and make sure I absorb what I see first before doing so.

I not the biggest SMG fan..way too sluggish for me. Hopefully sonic speed can fix that feeling. Regardless this SCREAMS a modern attempt at Sonic Xtreme and I'm totally okay with that.

If there is one thing thats a big plus is now you can SEE the obstacles coming at you WAY before you ever get to it so you can prepare for whats to come. That going to allow more breathing room for the people with less reflexes in platforming games and allow general gamers to get into it more. 

Edited by Voyant

This game looks gross.  Hey, where's the spin jump?  

Looks anything but gross to me. The cartoony art direction and the gameplay really stands out.

I'm not certain how the Guardians break the series' aesthetic. Uekawa's style isn't only fit for Sonic-esque bipeds. His design motifs can travel across different kinds of characters.

Well, I'm extremely excited! Ah, it's nice to be hyped for a Sonic game again after so long! The guardians look sweet, and those tiny little animals are back, along with the figure eight! I do have some questions though...like, where is Tails? Also, why are the guardians invading Sonic's world? I thought all the levels would be in the Lost world. And yeah, this totally looks like Mario Galaxy (that's not a bad thing though!). Also looks like the boost is gone, which is pretty lame IMO. I'm one of the few that liked it. And is it just me or do the graphics look pretty bad. Whatever, I'm still hyped. I'm getting a Wii U for sure now...

Looks cool. The only thing is, I'm really not digging the graphics. I spot jaggies, bland textures, and general lack of detail. Look at 0:28, and 0:41 for examples of what I'm talking about. It looks pretty bad compared to something like Generations.

I'm not certain how the Guardians break the series' aesthetic. Uekawa's style isn't only fit for Sonic-esque bipeds. His design motifs can travel across different kinds of characters.

That is, if it was Uekawa who created them. It's been a while since he has taken the role of character designer, he is more of coordinator and creating the publicity artwork these days.

Edited by El Driver

Could be the quality of the trailer. Sonic games always look better in motion.

The trailer is compressed as hell. I mean, it's full of artifacts and blurriness even when played back in HD resolution.

The Deadly Six all wear Eggman's pants. They are all the same colour as wisps. Wisps are returning.

Did Eggman finally get his way on planet wisp after escaping the white world after SG?

This games interests me, but I'm extremely disappointed with the graphics. Maybe it's just the trailer.

But I'm looking forward to seeing other classic Sonic levels lost-world-ified!

I hate to cartoony style though.

• Thumbs Up 1

...The environments look too bright and plain. And the badniks are ugly.

I see what they're trying to do here with the "classic" art direction, but, it's not working for me personally. 
I LOVED Generations and I was hoping it would look more like that.

However, I think the new move set looks like a lot of fun and at least everyone can stop complaining about Boost now biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks anything but gross to me. The cartoony art direction and the gameplay really stands out.

For me, they stand out, but in the worse way possible. I hate it. I hate how much this game is visually trying to become Mario Galaxy. I miss the details that we had in Unleashed and Generations. I don't like bland textures, and less details like galaxy. I wanted to see what a Next-Gen Sonic game would look and all I feel is disappointed and disgusted. How did we get from Sonic Unleashed to this?

• Thumbs Up 1

Also didn't Sonic Generations first reveal trailer have downgraded graphics and textures when it first came out?

You guys know it's linear (I don't see it but whatever) is due to the fact it's the first level, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys know it's linear (I don't see it but whatever) is due to the fact it's the first level, right?

That's what they always say. How often has it been true?

Also didn't Sonic Generations first reveal trailer have downgraded graphics and textures when it first came out?

Kinda, I guess. But it still looks like it had considerably more detail than what I'm seeing in the SLW trailer.

That's what they always say. How often has it been true?

Colors and Gens (for SURE) speciffically.

Seriusly compare Modern Green Hill to the later levels.

How did we get from Sonic Unleashed to this?

Christ, I knew the Unleashed comparisons would start up eventually, but not this early.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 2

I watched the trailer again... this time on the youtube slow motion feature... There definately needs to be a lot of work put into it, it doesn't look very good out of motion at all... however, I did find a few interesting things.

dTfcaik.jpg

Crumbling paths. As sonic runs over this, the path crumbles away. It's not a very fast crumble but it does it.

urgbknO.jpg

Ok, the backgrounds have no motion in them at all, not really a bad thing, though it does look a little odd how it's just static... mind you... it reminds me of Sonic CD

RdbLGl6.jpg

Ok check this out. You see where I've indicated.... look what happens.

gdCFkVt.jpg

Something is fired out, it looks a lot like some kind of fireball. But whats really interesting is what happens after this. The camera cuts and you can just see the top of this segment of wall... but theres nothing there... it's an invisible monster!

Oh and... I heard you like Wisps?

fcyz210.jpg

I think I found another.

• Thumbs Up 2

graphics are down graded but don't really care, this gameplay looks so much fun.

look at new super mario bros U their game Looked very good, but the gameplay was all mostly the same so i was kinda disapoointed, but i still played the heck of the game when it came out(not anymore)

and also if you pause at 1:04 of the trailer you can see the diamonds that was in sonic colors except they are now dark blue. it is most likely it will be used with the laser wisp.

wispdiamonds.png

This scene fascinates me. Not the cyan diamonds, but the tube. It looks pretty large and seeing how gravity is built around it, it looks like there could be a lot of movement space for alternate paths we're not seeing.

This kind of level design interests me. There are so many ways they can treat builds like this. Dio said earlier that pinball physics ought to be excluded but that might not be the case. The screenshot where Sonic runs completely upside down is set under a speed booster. Downhill momentum might be possible.

• Thumbs Up 3

I haven't heard anyone say it's linear...

And not a single grind rail in sight.

I'm very excited for this!biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 2

It's kind of hard to judge how the game is graphically by analyzing fan-made stills of a 720p Youtube trailer. The game no doubt has a ways to go these always look better in person.

The Wisps are definitely an interesting choice. I wonder how many of them we'll see, or if Sonic's going to get any more power-ups.

I'm just personally excited they're doing something different that doesn't look totally shitty.

Edited by Solly