Awoo.

Nintendo @ E3 - Smashing into June 11 [E3 Direct: 7 AM PT / Dev Interviews: 12 PM PT]

Carbo

I'll give the Direct a 8/10. Thanks to the reboot of "Super Smash Bros.", MK 8, Super Mario 3D Land U and Bayonetta 2. 

Most of the streams were super terrible, with specific mention of the US stream. A lot of people missed presentations due to that. It may have not been Nintendo's fault in that sense, but due to that the conference was pretty terrible.

I do look forward to Bayonetta 2, Mario World, X(enoblade 2), and Smash though.

I'd say playing it safe is the exact opposite of what they needed to do.

Exactly.

They needed to make themselves STAND OUT because the Wii U isn't going to magically get attention now. The only people who care are people who were already aware the system actually existed omg.

Exactly.

They needed to make themselves STAND OUT because the Wii U isn't going to magically get attention now. The only people who care are people who were already aware the system actually existed omg.

I believe that's who the directs are targeted at. If this was an E3 conference it might be different.

Thing is if they want sales, then they need safe bets on games people will buy.

Yeah, things like Metroid or possibly Star Fox might be 2014 or 2015.

Non Nintendo, don't give Samus her Other M personality (in Smash) and we're good. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

Sony won E3 but holy fuck Nintendo is definitely not far behind in terms of excitement.

I wish I didn't have to pay for Online for the PS4 but oh well. 

I believe that's who the directs are targeted at. If this was an E3 conference it might be different.

I'm betting the only reason they didn't have an E3 conference in the first place is because they had nothing industry-shaking to show in the first place lmao. No third parties are talking to them, the system itself doesn't have much exciting and they probably don't have any immediate plans to upset things like accounts or sharing screens and video.

Sigh.

In the grand scheme of things though, Smash, Mario Kart and Mario 3D World are still basically going to be the system sellers because they always are and always have been and Ninty really need the sales.  Though shame the former 2 are coming out next year.  Did we get anything about when Mario 3D World was going to be released?

Well TT lego games are still talking, but marvel superheroes isnt till this fall. Also, what if DKCTF is a cover, I mean what if they are working on another game too, they just cant reveal it yet?  also I'm calling it now, Nintendo exclusive Megaman reboot

In the grand scheme of things though, Smash, Mario Kart and Mario 3D World are still basically going to be the system sellers because they always are and always have been and Ninty really need the sales.  Though shame the former 2 are coming out next year.  Did we get anything about when Mario 3D World was going to be released?

December.

I still wish Nintendo could've done a conference instead of a simple Direct. They would have blown us away EVEN MORE if they had a conference but... *shrug* As for the lack of interesting third parties...well it might change if the Wii U sells more units. Maybe.

Again, the Direct was short but it was packed with juicy stuff that certainly doesn't make me regret buying a Wii U. Will it make other people buy the console however? Who knows.

But I'm certainly looking forward to Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, the new Donkey Kong Country, SUPER SMASH BROS 4 and even Super Mario 3D World. I wasn't sure about the last one at first but I do love 3D Land sooo...

And X looks beautiful. I honestly can't wait to see more of that one. 

They could've played it safer with Metroid, F-Zero and Wave Race. They should have.

A property that bombed in it's latest installment? A property that sold like shit throughout it's last titles? A property no one remembers it exists?

That's not a safe bet. That's anything but.

Nintendo tried to do the risk by winging it with the Wii U game pad, but so far nothing has shown to sell it. Wii was one in a million, that thunder won't strike twice.

I'm pretty divided all the same, mostly because what's been shown was stellar qualities being applied to things we have. Wonderful 101 and X look like fantastic games worth owning a Wii U for and I wish there were more. But hell, what's there looks to be great at least.

Well remember we do have sonic, and Mario and sonic coming this year, and both should be heavy sellers

Nintendo need a mix of stuff that will sell to both core and non-core gamers in order to get the ball rolling. What they showed in this Direct is pretty much it. It's a shame about the 3rd parties, but it's possible support will still come to some degree but they are being paid to keep their mouths shut about Nintendo versions.

If 3rd parties will only get on board if Wii U sells more then these types of games are definitely the way to go to achieve that.

A property that bombed in it's latest installment? A property that sold like shit throughout it's last titles? A property no one remembers it exists?

That's not a safe bet. That's anything but.

Nintendo tried to do the risk by winging it with the Wii U game pad, but so far nothing has shown to sell it. Wii was one in a million, that thunder won't strike twice.

I'm pretty divided all the same, mostly because what's been shown was stellar qualities being applied to things we have. Wonderful 101 and X look like fantastic games worth owning a Wii U for and I wish there were more. But hell, what's there looks to be great at least.

They didn't need to play it safe, but Nintendo knows the spot they're in and it seems they're perfectly content with that. As long as they have their cult following then they'll always profit.

This of course means they run the problem of going stale (I have no interest whatsoever in Donkey Kong or Mario Kart for instance), but when they bust out games like X and Bayonetta 2, I'm driven to play them.

Edited by Marco

Nintendo's so cool that they don't even need to try and use those points as "features".

Could have garnered them some free gamer respect if they hyped about it like Sony did though.

Also there was nothing new about Nintendo Network or Virtual Console either? No announcement of GC games, online VC games, anything?

So many missed opportunities in that Direct, I can't get over how many things Nintendo needs to address but still haven't. If this is how they plan on winning over the "core" audience, it's not gonna work.

Please Nintendo, prove me wrong and don't take 2 years to do it. :c

While it wasn't Sony killing, it was satisfying overall. I think the biggest disappointment is the lack of 3rd party support. The 3rd party stuff that was announced today was stuff we already knew about. Nintendo really needs to get 3rd parties on board if they want to help make a case for selling the Wii U. 

The stream was so fucking dumb, it get kept lagging and we were probably down a game or two.

That said, I liked what I saw. Not enough to buy a Wii U this holiday, but definitely next year along with a PS4. And being in a crowd with a bunch of Nintendo fanboys made it feel even right.

I think the titles I'm most anticipating are Lost World, 3D World, Smash, WWHD, and Mario Kart.

• Thumbs Up 1

That direct was pretty good :) 

Nintendo did as I expected and not have any major new games, but man the quality of the games they showed looked better than Sony or Microsofts games; Mario 3d have four player co-op, Mario Kart finally mixing up the forumal with gravity based racing, and Freaking Megaman being playable in Smash :)

I bit disappointed that Retro is making another DK, I mean that isn't a bad thing as they finally got underwater swimming and Dixiy Kong back, but I hoped they were bring Metroid back after that disaster that was Other M or making a reboot of F-Zero/Starfox :(

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really excited about everything but Donkey Kong.

Retro, damn it, you have to win Metroid back!

Just caught up with this. Pretty clear now why they didn't have a conference, not much content outside the usual staple franchises.

I got my Bayonetta 2 trailer and that's all I really asked for. I'm not sold yet on the redesign and that trailer needed way more Fly me to the Moon but it's going to be awesome regardless.

Original alternate costume pls Kamiya.

I watched the conference pre-recorded on the official YouTube channel. I think as you guys said that there was a lack of third-party support and (to a lesser extent...?) the revealed list of showcased games that brought the conference down. But I think (and as I predicted earlier) Nintendo had the best lineup of games...even if most of them were first party. A solid second place behind Sony IMO, and far better than EA, M$, and Ubisoft.

SM3DW looks pretty cool, nice to see we get to play as Peach again as well as the co-op. Shame that it's highly likely that Nintendo won't make the co-op available online though (see NSMBU).

Mario Kart 8 also looks nice. I wish I could had watched in HQ but the video I watching had a pretty crappy stream. :/

I for one like the Smash Bros. 3DS's stylized graphics, and the Wii U version looks pretty cool. And the entire Megaman segment was badass, that's how you introduce a new guest fighter.