Awoo.

Nintendo @ E3 - Smashing into June 11 [E3 Direct: 7 AM PT / Dev Interviews: 12 PM PT]

Carbo

I might actually get a Wii U sooner than I thought...

I think it was a solid direct overall.  Yeah sure we didn't learn about too many new games but considering it was half the length of all the other E3 conferences and had Iwata's sluggish yet wonderfully endearing speech there was still a surprising amount in there.  To be honest, I'm more happy about the fact that 1) every game shown had GAMEPLAY and 2) seeing more of the cool games that got me excited in the first place such as X, Bayonetta 2 and Mario 3D World (say what you will about the Mario series, but to me the 3D games have always been groundbreaking barring 3D Land and even that was an incredible game in its own right).

Oh and MEGAMAN FOR SMASH 4 MY BODY WAS NOT READY

137050627106.gif 

I'd say Nintendo won.. but since this wasn't really an official E3 conference... (and laggy as all hell) I don't think it counts :P

The Direct was alright, any video where they end in a huge game reveal is awesome. Just wish Mario didn't take up a good portion of the show again :(

I can't believe Retro's new game is Donkey Kong, that's yet another year without Metroid or StarFox. No Metroid? Really?

Biggest let down of the year. Seriously. We don't need a new DK, nobody asked for it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why is everyone so content? The Wii U is being ignored by everyne but Nintendo.

Because most of us have made peace with the fact that Nintendo probably won't get any 3rd party support at this point unless they include horrid DRM or basically pay them, which would amount to a bidding war with MS and Sony that Nintendo probably cound't win due to only having one single division to pull money from.

Was a pretty great direct, though it was sorta underwhelming at points. Excited for the new Mario, Smash, and Kart tho. Looks like Lost world and some other titles will have to carry me through the end of 2013 though if I have a Wii U by then, as alot of these games seem to be leaning towards 2014.

SSB was great, but still hoping we get starfox or Metroid news in the upcoming months....

So do I. D: It's been 3 years since that abomination Other M, it's time for a new Metroid!

I just have to say this: Villager, AND FREAKING SKYLOFT!!!

Also looks like Toon link won't be playable this time. Levels look a tasting. I'm excited to see more.

Biggest let down of the year. Seriously. We don't need a new DK, nobody asked for it.

I did.

• Thumbs Up 4

Because most of us have made peace with the fact that Nintendo probably won't get any 3rd party support at this point unless they include horrid DRM or basically pay them, which would amount to a bidding war with MS and Sony that Nintendo probably cound't win due to only having one single division to pull money from.

Seriously?

Erm... no...

If I buy a console, I want games on it. Lots of games. This is how it's supposed to work, you release a console, and you do stuff which means people want to support it. Ubisoft more or less said last night they've dropped support and Nintendo just wasted half an hour showing us that there is nothing happening right now to change that.

The only things of interest here were Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong and if you care about it smash brothers, yet I do not understand how the inclusion of Megaman suddenly means 'third party support is back!'

Hope megaman being in doesn't exclude Sonic. I'll still get it, but that would be a huge leg down to me...

Seriously?

Erm... no...

If I buy a console, I want games on it. Lots of games. This is how it's supposed to work, you release a console, and you do stuff which means people want to support it. Ubisoft more or less said last night they've dropped support and Nintendo just wasted half an hour showing us that there is nothing happening right now to change that.

The only things of interest here were Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong and if you care about it smash brothers, yet I do not understand how the inclusion of Megaman suddenly means 'third party support is back!'

Um, the conference had plenty of Ubisoft games...

I did......................

Copy-pasting concise thoughts from my Tumblr.

Nintendo played it pretty safe.

But in all honesty playing it safe is perhaps what they needed.

The real disappointment here was lack of third parties. There’s nothing new we don’t know of, and Nintendo is still going to have to thrive hard on their Wii U support. They could have done better but we’ve got the key stuff out of the way.

Also also, no price cut or talk about extending online services. This… could really have been expanded upon. Wii U needs to sell, and with the PS4’s low price it kind of looks bad next to it. As for the games.

• Super Mario 3D World… I was very iffy about this. 3D Land was one of my favorite 3D Mario games but I expected a game the scale of 64 and Galaxy. In all honesty though, it kind of looks like it’s trying to break the stigma that rehashes =/= bad. It looks like a lot of love and detail was put into it. SM2 and SMW had some of the best ideas of the entire franchise and I’m happy to see them evolve.
  • Mario Kart 8 looks fantastic. I barely get hyped about Mario Kart but this actually looks like it’s trying to evolve the entire formula.
  • I’m shockingly surprised that Wii Fit U and Wii Party U was only given two minutes of everyone’s time. Nintendo is learning.
  • The Wonderful 101 we knew of. No point in dwelling on this. But I’m still more excited than ever.
  • The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD looks fantastic but I can’t say I’m as excited about it as all other games seeing how I’ve already played it to a pulp.
  • X. Hoo boy. Highlight of the show if you ask me. It looks exactly like the kind of unique hardcore property Nintendo needs.
  • I’m incredibly disappointed that Retro’s new game is another Donkey Kong. Retro’s talent should go to making fantastic new experiences, or even a game to entice the hardcore western audience. But hell, Returns was the best platformer of last gen and I’m glad to see the good old monkey get some exposure.
  • You can’t fault Nintendo for knowing how to put on a good show, and Super Smash Bros 4 looked fantastic. It just comes to show that no one handles crossovers as good as Nintendo. Well, apart from Marvel.
In short; it’s not much, but what’s there looks to be of stellar quality. I really hope Nintendo can put their work up to speed. Wii U needs so much more than this despite the great quality.

They still have a long road ahead of them, and it was refreshing to see the entire conference put through such an intimate environment. I like that. People said it was a bad idea but it worked.

Hoping to see more soon.

Speak for yourself. DKCR was a fantastic game, I always wanted to see more. Just not necessarily by Retro.

• Thumbs Up 2

Seriously?

Erm... no...

I've accepted reality. Doesn't mean I'm happy with it.

Copy-pasting concise thoughts from my Tumblr.

They could've played it safer with Metroid, F-Zero and Wave Race. They should have.

Ubisoft games we already knew were coming to Wii U :/ even Ubi are saying the Wii U is an abandoned platform now.

I'm really sad about the future of Wii U. I hope that, if anything, it gets third party attention through sales of Nintendo games. At least people who want Smash and Mario Kart will buy it..

Here are my thoughts on the conference.

Mario 3D World looks very fun.  Adding co-op in a 3D game seems like a fun choice, and it looks a lot more creative than 3D Land.  Still would have preferred something a bit more grand like Galaxy, but this is good.

Mario Kart 8 looks like another solid entry.  Not much to say about it.

I don't care about Wii Fit U or Wii Party U.

Wind Waker HD....is it me, or are the graphics not seeming that much improved as they did at first?  I'll wait til I see a higher quality video to judge.  But it's good that they are adjusting the game, so I hope they add some improvements.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze looks awesome.  On one hand, I'm glad we're getting another after the first DKCR was so great.  On the other hand......I was really hoping Retro was working on Metroid or Star Fox.  In that regard I was disappointed.  But this still looks great, and I love the new enemies much more than the Tikis.

Wonderful 101?  More like Wonderful 10-FUN!

Bayonetta 2 is going to kick ass, I'm sure.  The first is one of my favorite action games, and that along with Metal Gear Rising have solidified Platinum as one of my favorite companies, so I eagerly await anything they work on.

X looks cool.  I'm not an RPG guy, but it looked visually stunning and the gameplay looked fun.

And Smash Bros. was friggin' orgasmic, as I'm sure you all know.  That extended Mega Man segment was mind-blowing.  And the graphics look very good, and Skyloft is showing up!  Looking good.  (But they're using Samus' Other M design.  Bad, Nintendo.  BAD).

Overall, this Nintendo Direct was solid, but not amazing.  I was hoping to see at least one of their less prominent series get some love, particularly Star Fox.  Oh well, maybe next year.

But seriously, that Mega Man segment was fucking great, and it pretty much made the whole video for me.