Awoo.

Nintendo @ E3 - Smashing into June 11 [E3 Direct: 7 AM PT / Dev Interviews: 12 PM PT]

Carbo

Just caught up on Nintendo Direct. New Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Bayonetta look cool, but disappointed in the lack of third party support, Star Fox and the new Donkey Kong being another Donkey Kong Country. 

So you're denouning the game simply because it's a sequel to 3D Land and has 3D is in the title but it's not on 3DS?

• Thumbs Up 4

As someone who didn't even like 3D Land much, 3D World looks absolutely amazing.

• Thumbs Up 4

Biggest let down of the year. Seriously. We don't need a new DK, nobody asked for it.

SPeak for yourself

3D was not important in the slightest. It was only used for a visual effect in a few gimmick puzzles which here is being replaced by gyro controls. The design was a blocky Super Mario Galaxy, and design-wise this iteration is evolving on everything we've seen in previous 3D Marios.

Yeah no. This game easily belongs on the Wii U.

Yeah yes. I found the game incredibly frustrating and hard to play with the 3D turned off. This does not belong on the Wii U. I'm sick of this cheap garbage from Nintendo. Give me a real Mario game. When Pikmin, a game that thrives on relaxation and experimentation, feels more epic than this, something is horribly wrong.

I don't get how this game is cheap garbage in any sense. It looks amazing! It takes elements from their past games, expanding on the nearly perfect gameplay in 3D Land to make something even better for Wii U. The 3D effect isn't as needed here because the camera is adjustable, rather than rooted in a fixed position.

So, part of why it's garbage is that it's 3D? Then all 3D Mario games must be garbage. That's a really stupid argument, just saying. 3D Land was made specifically with a certain camera to accommodate the 3D effect, this game uses camera angles that fit the situation just like the Galaxy ones, while also allowing you to adjust the angle if you want to look around.

Edited by Super Mario

Yeah yes. I found the game incredibly frustrating and hard to play with the 3D turned off. This does not belong on the Wii U. I'm sick of this cheap garbage from Nintendo. Give me a real Mario game. When Pikmin, a game that thrives on relaxation and experimentation, feels more epic than this, something is horribly wrong.

Well.. I mean, Mario 3D Land WAS designed around using 3D constantly. There were sections that were literally unplayable with it turned off.

Also Pikmin is entirely new. We haven't had a new one in like so many years. It's been in development for a very long time too.

So the "leaked" list of demos turns out to be fake, and all Best Buys are back on the list? *fist-pump*

Can't wait for tomorrow.

OhyeahanddatXenoblade

Edited by The Deleter

Okay, explain what you mean by this, cause I really don't see anything doesn't make it a 'real' Mario game.

Yeah, it looks like a different formula from the console collectathon platformers, but who cares? It has all the stuff that makes a Mario game, and these games don't have to stick to that formula. Personally, I think that if It has Powerups, Platforming in colorful environment, and Mario or other related characters, then I think this qualifies as a real Mario game.

I hate it when people pull the 'Gimmie a real (X)' when they don't like how something looks.

Edited by Mr. Mayhem!

So it's not Mario Galaxy. Who cares? Not every Mario game has to be 'revolutionary', there's no point in innovation simply for innovation's sake. 3D Land was fantastic, and a grander version of that with local multiplayer with multiple characters SMB2-style with new types of levels, enemies and power-ups seems fantastic to me.

Not every game has to reinvent the wheel, for God's sake. Sometimes expansion-pack sequels are fine, as long as you include enough new content.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1PDfUWxdVM&feature=player_embedded

Can't decide if it's adorable or simply funny. xD

The highlights of this for me were Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros.

To be fair, I didn't really expect much from the direct as Nintendo's focus is purely on the show floor itself, with a lot of playable games available, and the mass media of magazines able to be hands-on with the games and being able to provide proper experience previews of all the games instead of just a certain few.

Yes, it does suck that the third party support is now all but gone [with the exception of SEGA and others who are friendly with Nintendo], but so long as those faithful to Nintendo pick up on these titles when they are released, maybe it will get other developers back on board.

So it's not Mario Galaxy. Who cares? Not every Mario game has to be 'revolutionary', there's no point in innovation simply for innovation's sake. 3D Land was fantastic, and a grander version of that with local multiplayer with multiple characters SMB2-style with new types of levels, enemies and power-ups seems fantastic to me.

Not every game has to reinvent the wheel, for God's sake. Sometimes expansion-pack sequels are fine, as long as you include enough new content.

And besides, this game is more or less a stop gap just like Wind Waker HD; solid games made within a short period of time to hold Wii U owners off till the next "huge" Mario/Zelda come out.  That aside, 3d World looks to be pretty fun and the fact we can play as Peach instead of two Toads in multiplayer is a nice surprise :)

And besides, this game is more or less a stop gap just like Wind Waker HD; solid games made within a short period of time to hold Wii U owners off till the next "huge" Mario/Zelda come out.  That aside, 3d World looks to be pretty fun and the fact we can play as Peach instead of two Toads in multiplayer is a nice surprise smile.png

Well Wind Waker HD is definitely an appetizer for the main event but I don't think 3D World is. It seems like it's being made by all the usual 3D Mario crew. I don't see them also secretly having Super Mario Time Space Continuum in development bak in the secret EAD Laboratories. But ya never really know, I guess.

I'm seriously getting a Wii U between now and the next month or two. Nintendo has officially sold me on a Wii U with Smash Brothers. I was planning to get a Wii U eventually just for smash but having Megaman in it has made me 10x more excited than I was before. If my Wii U ends up like my Wii and becomes solely a Smash machine so be it.

I just hope the online is playable this time around.

Mario Kart 8 is definitely a must too seeing how I love the franchise. I agree with other complaints though, I wouldn't mind seeing a new Star Fox or F-Zero.

Overall I think the direct was weak but hey.... they sold me on a Wii U.

I'm seriously getting a Wii U between now and the next month or two. Nintendo has officially sold me on a Wii U with Smash Brothers. I was planning to get a Wii U eventually just for smash but having Megaman in it has made me 10x more excited than I was before. If my Wii U ends up like my Wii and becomes solely a Smash machine so be it.

I just hope the online is playable this time around.

Mario Kart 8 is definitely a must too seeing how I love the franchise. I agree with other complaints though, I wouldn't mind seeing a new Star Fox or F-Zero.

Overall I think the direct was weak but hey.... they sold me on a Wii U.

I'm getting mine when Sonic Lost World is out, then I'll also buy The Wonderful 101 with it...that game looks so OTT and I love it!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm getting mine when Sonic Lost World is out, then I'll also buy The Wonderful 101 with it...that game looks so OTT and I love it!

Can't say I'm TOO excited for Lost World, but I totally forgot about it so when I get a Wii U I will get that as well.  I'm actually quite disgusted at myself for forgetting about Wonderful 101

Well apparently the producer of 3D World may be revealing their next project soon

Q. Some believe that the downloadable content is back to pay for something, is this title, as the current Wii U, will have this option?

KH. For now we have no plans in that direction.

Q. What is your next job?

KH: At the moment, Super Mario 3D World, 100%.

YK: I can not disclose now, but soon we will make an announcement.

SOURCE:http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/17/producer-of-super-mario-3d-land-may-be-announcing-a-new-game-soon/

Whatever it is, let it be a fusion of Galaxy and 64. That would be my ideal Mario game.

With a story similar in style and tone to the Mario RPG's. Oh wait that'll never happen 'cause Nintendo's stupid like that. 

With a story similar in style and tone to the Mario RPG's. Oh wait that'll never happen 'cause Nintendo's stupid like that.

Mario games aren't about story. They're about fun, exploration, and (More recently) atmosphere. Neither of the Galaxy games needed a strong plot to feel like a living world filled with weird characters.

I literally don't even know what a grand plot in a Mario game would be like anyways.

Mario games aren't about story. They're about fun, exploration, and (More recently) atmosphere. Neither of the Galaxy games needed a strong plot to feel like a living world filled with weird characters.

I literally don't even know what a grand plot in a Mario game would be like anyways.

What's wrong with them having story though? Not to take anything away from previous Mario games, but it's been the one aspect Mario games have kinda been weak at, yet the RPG's have been strong at. Why not? Would it hurt the game to have a better story?

What's wrong with them having story though? Not to take anything away from previous Mario games, but it's been the one aspect Mario games have kinda been weak at, yet the RPG's have been strong at. Why not? Would it hurt the game to have a better story?

I just don't see it working. It works for the RPG's because they're self-contained spin-offs, but with a big 3D game it'd be EXTREMELY awkward. Just imagine going from a level like Puzzle Plank and then stuff like the Shadow Queen or Princess Shroob come out of nowhere. When you think about it, the RPG's have rather dark concepts strewn throughout them. Especially SMRPG, PMTTYD, and PiT.

Honestly, my point wasn't that it's better off without a grand story, but that Nintendo's not dumb for not making a 3D Mario with one. And like I said, I personally have a hard time imagining that it wouldn't turn out really weird. Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just don't see it working. It works for the RPG's because they're self-contained spin-offs, but with a big 3D game it'd be EXTREMELY awkward. Just imagine going from a level like Puzzle Plank and then stuff like the Shadow Queen or Princess Shroob come out of nowhere. When you think about it, the RPG's have rather dark concepts strewn throughout them. Especially SMRPG, PMTTYD, and PiT.

Honestly, my point wasn't that it's better off without a grand story, but that Nintendo's not dumb for not making a 3D Mario with one. And like I said, I personally have a hard time imagining that it wouldn't turn out really weird.

Fair point. I just want something else apart from "Save Peach" in the story of 3D Mario games. The premise was the same with Galaxy 1 but Rosalina made things more interesting (she actually has back story too!) and not to mention that the game was pretty cinematic.

I'm just glad that Sonic games actually have different stories for each game...it makes things feel fresh. If they want to still use this premise (which they will) then at least add some plot twists or something. At least 3D World will not have a save Peach story considering that she's playable.