Awoo.

'Sonic Lost World DS discussion "3DS, 2DS, ONE DS! Thunder Wisps are go!' Title credits to Hogfather

Tails spin

Wow okay seriously I'm up to Act 3 of Tropical Coast and the 3DS version is so much better than the Wii U one.

With Wii U I am constantly thinking "Why on earth didn't they do this little thing that would have made the game more accessible/more fair/less annoying" etc.

On the 3DS, I am constantly thinking "I can't believe they thought of that".  Pushing L to center the camera on wide open areas.  On the underwater area there's a hint bubble that tells you you can push L on that level to invert the up/down controls for 3D Drill Wisp to whatever you prefer to use.

Orbinauts can't be homing attacked, you just get hurt on their spikes.  You have to do a B+Y midair kick to woosh their spikes off of them and then homing attack.  "Oh boy" I thought when Sonic started auto triple-homing attacking enemies in the vicinity of one. "I'm gonna get hurt aren't I".  Nope.  When you hit them with an automated triple homing attack, the spikes do not hurt you - not only being fair, but also opening up speedrunning opportunities for cunning homing attack chain start points.

The 3DS developers just... fucking thought of everything.

Also yes, 3D underwater sections.  At last.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

So I've been reading around and doing the rounds and...

Are we seriously in the position where DIMPs have made a better game than Sonic Team?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's funny, the 2D segments are kind of weak and Sonic 4-ish (though on the flipside if you had no problem with Sonic 4's level design you won't here), but mainly they're lame due to the zoomed in camera.

The 3D stages however are varied and gimmicky in a good way.  Not exactly Sonic platforming but damn fun and polished.

Sonic handles like a more responsive version of Sonic Colours.  It feels much more connected to the Modern era gameplay despite the new moves.

Also, elemental shields!  They're back and used completely straight - not mandatory, just there to help out.

Edited by JezMM

I will say that DIMPS did make annoying special stages though without circle pad control -_- That is the weak point for me.

I will say that DIMPS did make annoying special stages though without circle pad control sleep.png That is the weak point for me.

And the constant grinding through those sandworms in desert ruins 1 and 3 looks so mundane. 

Are we seriously in the position where DIMPs have made a better game than Sonic Team?

Well....I guess we circled back to where we started back when they were first making Sonic games.

Okay hit a little rough patch - the Tropical Coast Boss was really awkward due to how they handled gravity controls.  The Special Stages I'm actually really getting the hang of now, it's not too bad to play them sitting at all.  I've only played two, but yeah.  Also you can easily pause and restart when you're running out of time, like in other recent games.

Reading this very nearly made me choke.

I might actually have to pick this up if this is true.

• Thumbs Up 1

The levels still look overly vast and empty and Sonic still appears overly floaty and slippery. I'm not convinced.

Edited by Razorsaw

wouldn't be the first time.

For a while there, DIMPs was carrying this franchise. There is still a little magic left in them yet.

The levels still look overly vast and empty and Sonic still appears overly floaty and slippery. I'm not convinced.

He handles like a more precise version of Sonic Colours Wii.

wouldn't be the first time.

For a while there, DIMPs was carrying this franchise. There is still a little magic left in them yet.

I'd prefer to say they got their magic back. Between the periods of 2010 and 2012 it just seemed Dimps stopped giving a shit. Lost World 3DS admittedly looks like it's bucking the trend.

At least that's how I see it.

Ok amongst all this discussion I forgot to ask: Are their leaderboards in this version? I was wondering, because that's the only thing that makes me come back to that piece of crap sonic gens 3ds.

Time Attack mode is.  I haven't played it but I doubt they'd take out leaderboards if this still has online play like Gens did.

Funny story - I went into my local GAME this morning to pick up Lost World 3DS (I had some games to trade in and seeing as there was no online pre-order bonuses like the Wii U version, I thought I'd wait to get it in-store)... and it wasn't on the shelf. Like, at all. No "coming soon" boxes, no copies hidden amongst all the other 3DS games, nothing.

Fortunately they did actually have a couple of copies at the back, so I didn't leave empty handed - but still, it just goes to show, one of gaming's biggest mascots didn't even get his new game put on the shelf on launch day. And this wasn't at like 9am or anything, this was nearer to midday. They had plenty of time to put them out if they wanted to.

For the record, they also only had two copies of the Wii U version in, and they were just in amongst all the other A-Z Wii U games on the shelf. Maybe they'd seen the reviews and decide to do some damage control :lol:

On the subject of elements that are better on the 3DS than on the Wii U, I can say without a doubt that Windy Cavern Zone is much better on the 3DS. The Wii U version is a giant pipe interior with some hidden rooms, while the 3DS version is a huge expansive world with multiple paths, platforms, challenges and layers that looks fun as hell to play.

Also, 3D underwater sections that don't require Yellow Drill. We've been waiting how long for an official 3D water level to control Sonic in? About 15 years? And the underdog development team delivers it. Awesome.

• Thumbs Up 3

I might get this game sooner rather than later if it's that good. I just really want Sega to release a 3DS demo because that'll probably be the deciding factor.

Funny story - I went into my local GAME this morning to pick up Lost World 3DS (I had some games to trade in and seeing as there was no online pre-order bonuses like the Wii U version, I thought I'd wait to get it in-store)... and it wasn't on the shelf. Like, at all. No "coming soon" boxes, no copies hidden amongst all the other 3DS games, nothing.

I'm gonna go with the shop being lazy to advertise it because when I was at my local Graingers Games yesterday they was planning out where the cases of SLW was going on the shelves so I'm going with what I said :P

I'm getting pretty good at the special stages now.  The trick is when you want to make a big turn, hold X, move the 3DS in the opposite direction you want to turn, then release X.  Move back to your comfortable neutral position and Sonic will turn in the direction you want to go, leaving the 3DS in a comfy position to make minor adjustments to his path until it's time to make a big turn again.

They're actually pretty fun once you embrace the motion control, though I admit it's an acquired taste of gameplay, and traditional control method should have been left in.  But hey, at least the motion control is in self-contained levels rather than Wisp powers.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Soo it looks like you have to unlock color powers by going through zones & then you can go back to later zones & use them, pretty nice. I think you'll have to wait to get Red Burst or Cyan Laser at like Sky Road because they were shown there in some screenshots & short gameplay. Indigo Astroid is unlocked in Desert Ruins Zone 1, Yellow Drill is unlocked in Tropical Coast Zone 1 & as for the others, im not really sure.

And them boss fights look so epic on the 3DS version, totally beating the Wii U version's bosses, & damn I love the Deadly Six models for the 3DS version =D!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NADzf1NzFUk

I enjoyed watching Zavok's boss fight for the 3DS version more than the Wii U version's boss, it feels endless & boring. This fight gets me pumped to woop ass for some reason =O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKeAyoU2fbg

Zazz's boss fight or (my boss fight) was epic as fuck, I enjoyed it way better than the shitty Wii U's version of this fight. Zazz also shows up as a sorta mini boss in Windy Hill Zone 3, so theres sorta short mini bosses taking place in zones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ZeykrjOZ4&feature=c4-overview&list=UU0fHIll6LQ29C6W0Kfehn3g

The final boss for the 3DS version had more difficulty than its Wii U counterpart, loving it so much =D.

The fights I didnt show were Zomom, Zeena, Zor & Master Zik. I feel like the 2nd battle with them in the Wii U version is better than their boss fight on the 3DS, still like em though. Im gonna bet 999 rings that these fights are way harder in Lava Mountain & that they will look way better in HD & right in front of you. That video quality was ass

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what to think, then. Everything prior to release said 3DS Sonic flew around like he had no traction and that he was a sliding and bouncing everywhere. I played it at Sonic Boom and that's what it felt like. I find it hard to believe DIMPS of all people made such radical changes in such a short amount of time.

I've played through the first two worlds of this version and... I've gotta say, it's not clicking with me as much as the Wii U version does.

The cutscene quality is downright hideous, the levels rely way too much on "destroy this many enemies to move on", and the controls feel somewhat off a lot of the time. They're all things I can put up with, but they are hindering my enjoyment just a tad.

It's not a disaster, and definitely one of the better handheld titles, but for me it's lacking some much needed polish.

Yeah, that Zazz fight video illustrates what I'm talking about. Sonic just seems to jerk too far in whatever direction he's going and his jumps seem to be all over the place to the point it looks hard to lock onto him.