Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

I know we've seen footage of the demo but I figured cobanermani's video would be worth posting, particularly due to the speedrun at the beginning that makes good use of the spindash + jumping. (It's actually the only part of the video I've watched so far, since I'm heading out to town right away. tongue.png)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYIjVc7WZjo

Now that's a speedrun I've waited to see since I've learned how the Spin Dash works. I'm not missing the boost at all.

I gotta admit with the spin dash the way it is, it definitely makes up for not having a boost now (though it was  technically a boost that required slopes before anyway).

• Thumbs Up 2

I know we've seen footage of the demo but I figured cobanermani's video would be worth posting, particularly due to the speedrun at the beginning that makes good use of the spindash + jumping. (It's actually the only part of the video I've watched so far, since I'm heading out to town right away. tongue.png)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYIjVc7WZjo

Ugh. This is exactly why I wanted the boost gone. In reality it isn't gone. It just has a different name and appearance. Just like the spindash in Generations classic. It doesn't even look like it loses momentum. It just keeps you going at top speed forever from the look of that video. Just like the boost. The only difference is you need to stop to start using it.

I swear to god; either a game is "too fast" or "Too slow" Pick a complaint and stick with it people :V

• Thumbs Up 5

I swear to god; either a game is "too fast" or "Too slow" Pick a complaint and stick with it people :V

>Implying that the people complaining about it being too fast and the people complaining about it being too slow

Or hell, implying that his complaint was it being too fast and not the automatic go-fast button that's been present for five years now

Eh, I've never really had an issue with the Sonic Boost in itself, so if the Spin Dash in this game really is its apparent "expy", then I say, whatever. It's not like the game's focus is primarily on going fast, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 7

Is it me, or does the World Map look similar to NSMBU/3DWorld's? biggrin.png (Not a bad thing mind you!)

Dude, I've noticed since day one. Especially considering that the second level is Desert Ruins and the last (?) world is Lava Mountain.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude, I've noticed since day one. Especially considering that the second level is Desert Ruins and the last (?) world is Lava Mountain.

i dont get it

i dont get it

Mario games always have a desert world as a second world (well, most of them) and a Lava world at the end. I think that's what he's getting at.

Typically in mario games, the second level is mostly always the desert level with the last level being the lava/fire level which has nowadays been modified a bit so that when you collect all the star coins you get an extra bonus level (the star map or whatever its called) when you collect all of the star coins and if this game follows suit than that might be what the red star rings unlock after collecting them all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, I've never really had an issue with the Sonic Boost in itself, so if the Spin Dash in this game really is its apparent "expy", then I say, whatever. It's not like the game's focus is primarily on going fast, anyway.

I'm with this, actually, but to add onto it: this Spindash doesn't limit Sonic's movement to the point where you pretty much have to use it in some areas. Yes, it's possible to go through Colours and I think (some of?) Unleashed and Generations without the boost if you know what you're doing, but Sonic really isn't all that fast or maneuverable in non-boost mode.

You can also argue it doesn't limit the level design as much. While each level is probably built so there's a path for you to Spindash on if you're feeling up for it, there's plenty of alternate paths for exploration and stuff. Not to say the boost games NEVER EVER had that, but it wasn't nearly as prominent.

Edited by Sonic Omochao

Sooooooo are we gonna have a Sonic Lost world Tournament here? Generations went well and I think we should do it again With this game. 

The Spin Dash's versatility compared to the boost just gets me so excited. Sure, it looks like it can go fast, but it also looks like it takes some skill to use it in a way that's meaningful, since the game isn't constructed around it. Plus, all of its quirks make it look so satisfying to use.

I'm telling you, when I get this game, expect speedrun videos from Azoo. It'll be a new series called "Azoo Really Likes the Spin Attack, Okay". :v

• Thumbs Up 6

It isn't too fast. It's just too fast for too long too easily.

But hey, at least the level design doesn't appear to be completely built around the spin dash like Unleashed and Generations were with the boost so all in all it shouldn't hurt the game too much.

Edited by Robuttnik

The only reasoning I can think of for it going almost indefinitely is because there aren't any slopes to counteract it in a way that makes it slower or faster. Its technically just flat ground when you roll the plane of the stage out.

And if you just make it where it decelerates after blast-off, its gonna decel quickly due to everything being a flat plane. So in turn, I'd expect they just made it where the Spin Dash holds for however long you can manage it skillfully, which is good with what they got.

Edited by Aspoopkara

As I remember it [since I've put it to the test] you can complete the entirety of the levels and bosses, except the Time Eater, without boost in Generations on home consoles, but it is needed in the 3DS version. With Unleashed, some of the levels cannot [Cool Edge, I'm looking at you].

But hey! Less than a week now until release.

I'm telling you, when I get this game, expect speedrun videos from Azoo. It'll be a new series called "Azoo Really Likes the Spin Attack, Okay". :v

I will hold you to that series title.

Shadzter's been at it again, so you don't have to!

Sonic Lost World Price Roundup

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/10/sonic-lost-world-price-roundup/

Included UK, AU and US. Some especially great deals for the UK and AU. The cheapest Wii U AU price is nearly half the price of the highest.

• Thumbs Up 5

It isn't too fast. It's just too fast for too long too easily.

But hey, at least the level design doesn't appear to be completely built around the spin dash like Unleashed and Generations were with the boost so all in all it shouldn't hurt the game too much.

I wouldn't say that. You'd have to keep being in Spindash mode without hitting anything. In the first level that might be easy, but later levels will probably have more obstacles in the way, making it harder to speedrun.

But like you said, the level design isn't necessarily built around the Spindash. If you normally play the game you probably won't use it that much. Only if you want to speedrun it'll be necessary to use it most of the time if you want to get the best time.

It's just an option, being bothered by it is like being bothered that a restaurant has a meal that you don't like on the menu.

You may hold this against me if it turns out that I'm wrong :V

Edited by TimmiT

Was miayomoto involved in this game?

>Sonic Lost World OT (NEOGAF)

Finally there's a thread on one for this game, but.......

After playing this for a short time yesterday, I'm afraid this will be a huge disaster. Maybe not sales-wise, of course. But the gameplay sucked so much that I was in shock. The game mostly played itself and when it did not, I felt like all the auto-aim and auto-direction was destroying all the effort I put into the controls.

Edit: Wii U version

when is the US demo coming out ? =/ 
also lately I've been seeing disappointments from those who played the japanese demo/some game journalists have tweeted some things to worry about. 

I'm hoping this game gets 8s

.expecting 7 or below ._.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696691

I'm a bit worried on what the reviews will be on the game..... :C

Edited by Narukami07