Awoo.

The SSMB animation thread! running series name: 'Stadium Mayhem' Pilot under development, release TBD

Mando-Whirl-Wind

No that won't work.

Firstly because you can't exactly nominate people to a position with no volunteers

If someone wants to (or a group of you) wants this to get done, then initiative needs to be shown. Find someone to lead it, find a group of people to work on it, and develop it in that team with only occasionally getting input from people outside the group (crowd-sourcing does not literally mean getting a crowd of people to do something, but rather individuals stepping up from said crowd to offer a something that they can produce). Set a deadline and gaoals.

I'm sorry to get hard on this, but these ideas just happen constantly on the forums and always turn out like this. I'd like to see a group of people actually accomplish something like this, but unless their are people willing to put in more than talk, it's not going to happen. 

Hmm, passion...I've never seen creating art in that form before. I always put it down to motivation and inspiration.

I may not have the confidence to help move this thing forward, but do I have the passion?

We want to do this right? I'd love to be a part of it. We already have 5 pages of interest and ideas to work with.
Maybe what's pushing me to make this post is passion?

Enough questions. If nobody else wants the job, then I'll do it.
I'll look back at the previous posts and mention the best sounding ideas that we can use. But I can't do that today, I'll have to do it tomorrow.

The first thing I'd like to suggest is to remove the whole monthly animation thing, due to being too impractical, and switch to a simpler goal for now. Why don't we start out by just trying to create one animation and see how things turn out?
The next thing is possible stories. I think a group of artists could draw a comic with there own ideas, and we choose the best ones to be animated. You could base them around SSMB events, discussions or activities.
Remember to think about what the audience will see. If they are a member or not. Try to show this place in a light that's not too intimidating.

What do you guys think?

I got a couple of other ideas to share, but I'm gonna half to continue tomorrow.

I'm behind ya dude, you seem to have the drive and willingness to do it, and I dont see anyone else stepping up. As for me, I will keep my eye out and keep the first post and the title updated. if I can I will chip in elsewhere as well

• Thumbs Up 1

Well whoever is picked I won't mind being an enforcer if needed. Remind people things are coming, make sure people stick to some deadlines, and overall just be a second pair of eyes. If DanJ86 wants to be leader that sounds cool with me and so far has arguably done the most out of anyone yet, so I'm down with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm all for switching to a comic idea until we've got some solid stuff to work with in terms of animation! Seems much easier in terms of a lot of different members getting more content out.

Also, I'm cool with DanJ86 leading the project!

• Thumbs Up 2

Well whoever is picked I won't mind being an enforcer if needed. Remind people things are coming, make sure people stick to some deadlines, and overall just be a second pair of eyes. If DanJ86 wants to be leader that sounds cool with me and so far has arguably done the most out of anyone yet, so I'm down with that.

That sounds great to me. We could share responsibility to reduce overall workload and prevent a leader being in over his head. (Me?)

Okay, having looked back at the thread, this is our current staff. Is this how things still are? Does anyone want out or join in?

Overseers: DanJ86. Wolfy, Mandobardanjusik

Animators: Swiss, Alexander, Nepenthe, Naysu

Concept artists: Auto, Cero the Magnificent, MAYHEM! DanJ86, Miss Lighting Bolt, Felix, Hadan

Artists/Writers: Cero the Magnificent, DanJ86, Hadan, DaHog

Voice Actors: BakingBluePotato, Wolfy, VizardJeffhog, Hadan, Wreck-it Ralph, Mykonos, Bo-bobo, Mandobardanjusik, Alex2Beta

Music: VizardJeffhog, Wolfy

Supporters: Faseeh

Things to Consider.

The Official Title:

So we are currently using the working title "Stadium Mayhem," This could change or stay, depending on how the story format will look. We'll need a logo for when a title is finalized, as well as ideas for any other possible titles.

Basic Story Format:

Are we happy with Ceros SSMB city idea? It sounds like the one with the most potential that members seem to like out of the possible ideas mentioned so far.

Also following the episodic theme we reached earlier, I'm thinking, what if we made it in 12 short skits. One for each month. It could be like a "Year in SSMB City." With a strong emphasis on humour. Each skit could run for something like under a minute or 30 seconds, each being based during a specific month of the year.

Comics can be made of potential skits, that could last up to three panels or for an entire piece of paper. (9 or 12 panels?) The comics that are considered the best, can then double as a storyboard for planning the animation.

Character Designs:

The comic creators can either create there own character design or use one already shared. While other artists could continue to make character designs, although I'd like the design of a member to be approved by that member. I don't want anyone to be represented in a form they dislike. So try asking what they would like to look like. Also try to be varied with who appears in your comic. This place has over 5000 members, so I'd think if a member appeared in one skit, they are unlikely to appear in the other 11. (Unless they are staff, I guess.) Give others a chance to shine.

It may also be worth having some artists focus on creating member characters for the sole reason of being an extra or background character. But I don't want them to be just standing around, give them something to do.

Environment Designs:

I'm not sure on the mechanics of animation software, but I'm hoping an image can be imported into an animation so it can be used as a background. I'd like designs for possible places within SSMB City. Then I'd like those designs to to be finalized and coloured in, so that they can be used in the final animation. I don't want the animators to be concerned about the background. I think it's also important that the character style doesn't match the background style, in terms of colouring. The background can't be so distracting that it draws the audiences eyes away from the character. It may also be worth having an artist create props for the background. Nothing that had to be used. Just something that looks natural at a certain place.

If your drawing a comic, you don't need to bother with a background unless you have a specific location in mind.

Music and Sound:

It's hard to write music for something we don't yet know what it will become. So Musicians and Voice Actors can relax for now. But I'd love for some typical cartoon sound effect to be found and used, if possible. You know what I mean, right? My personal favourites are the blinking sound and the surprise sound that I remember from Dexter's Laboratory.

These are just some of my ideas and a collection of ideas from the previous posts. They are free to be changed if anyone has a better one to share. What do you think?

Edited by DanJ86
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sounds good to me, and I am willing to do some voice-acting too, just keep it clean. I can help iron out ideas too, but guess that goes under overseer really.

ok another thing Dan, is that once we have a bit of the story worked out we should also try to make an intro.

And if someone wants to mess with a design for me, you can mix up my current design with the designs of the outfits of Henry Pym from the marvel comments(Ant-Man, Giantman, Goliath and Yellow Jacket)..... hmmm have considered changing my username to Mando-Ant-Man, however I dont want to mix things up, so I am sticking with my Username.

Sounds quite big of an idea, but man would the end result be interesting, consider me interested.

Tho' the best I can probably offer would probably be voice acting, since I suck at concepts and art..But if you're interested, I can voice some characters, but since nothing about that is yet to be written in stone, I guess it won't be necessary for me to throw a whole big PM with random voice demos.

So long as I don't have to do screaming and shouting "ala Egorator" , I'm fine with throwing down some voices.

Oh, also, design wise, I'd probably discuss that over the PMs, at which I have this little drawing of a cartoony version of myself that can be used as reference.

Edited by Alex2Beta
  • Thumbs Up 1

So Dan what is happening? if you have been putting it off because no one else has posted dont be afraid to stop, keep going and people will come

So Dan what is happening? if you have been putting it off because no one else has posted dont be afraid to stop, keep going and people will come

Yeah I was hoping to get opinions or possible alternatives to the things I suggested in the previous post. I guess getting no response means everybody is okay with the plan?

I was also hoping the concept artists were going to start making some sketches for characters or locations. I recall Cero The Magnificent already had something of an idea drawn of SSMB City.

I was also going to suggest that if a member wanted to be represented in a specific way, that they approach a concept artist to work with, so they can have a design they'd be happy with. Better to do that through PM or that Skype thing though...but I'd want the permission of the concept artist members before suggesting that.

And if a member has artistic skills but cannot take part in the project, then they are free to submit there own design of themselves if they wish to.

Lastly, if the members I drew would like to have that design used, they can contact me through PM anytime, then I could start planning the colouring. If you disliked the design and wanted something changing before being used, then please let me know.

With some of the things Dr. Crusher said before, I'm concerned that some members may struggle to think of what they might like there toon self to look like. If it helps, here is the method I used to think up the designs of the members I drew.

• Are they Male or Female?
  • What interests do they have?
  • What cartoons do they like the most?
  • What meaning does there username have?
  • How old are they?
  • Have they shared a photo of themselves?
  • Do they have a favourite animal/colour/country?
  • What inspires them?

Those are the kind of questions I ask, and through a little searching, I usually found an answer to some of them.

I do also have a skit in mind that may be worth sharing. I figure you could still base a skit on a specific member if you wanted too. My idea is inspired by SweeCrue, so it seemed fitting to make him the main focus of the skit. I'll try to get it drawn soon.

I also added DaHog and Alex2Beta to the staff.

Edited by DanJ86

sounds good to me, I will make sure to keep this place clean.... if anybody decides to comment. On another note Dan, maybe you should make yourself more intimidating and leader-ish. Want to draw yourself up as a MODOK?

I've got stories for Crow, Pelly and Wolfy in the works. I'll have them by Tomorrow at the earliest. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just found the perfect theme song for this.

You know you wanna dance. Just let loose, dood!

• 1 year later...

Ok, so this entire thread was inspired by Felix's thought: What would a Sonic Stadium cartoon be? Well, I think I can answer that, or at least create a base. So what I am proposing is the Community band together to make a monthly(or bi-monthly) cartoon of well Whats going on in the community, with a bit of hyperbole of course wink.png

So I am no aniamotr myself, hey I even stink at drawing, more of a model guy myself, however I am willing to help make the base, and do voice-acting as well. So the start is to write up some guidelines, and setup a couple of base segments I think would work out pretty well.

Ok, so the basic premise of the entire idea is to provide a view into whats happening in the sonic related part of the community and put a fun twist on it, both in the protrayal, and in the fact its made by the combined efforts of the community itself. The running Title is 'Sonic Stadium Mayhem' if someone has a better idea, feel free to come up with a better one if you want. So remember, keep it clean if you can, but make it fun too.

So What I am thinking is we split this up into segments of course, each segment will be made by an artist, or a team of artists, then of course we will have a number of writers to come up with some clever reparte for the various voice actors we have around to voice. The segments should focus on various aspects of whats been going on, wheters its a hilarious re-enactment of the battle in the Vs thread, to the Mods fighting off an army of mutated celebrity trolls, to the disaster of the hype train in the Sega 2013 thread. And of course the latest sonic game news, of course we can even have fun with that.

So the current goal is try to see if there is interest, and start to get this together, and start to create the segments. Hope to see some interesting ideas and segments, what I recomend is that for you artists and writers, is that you either come up with a premise, and write up a base, or for an artist, make the opening and then try to get a writer in on the idea.

For that idea I had about a segment of the Admins/moderators fighting off the celebrity troll invasion, here is a basic synopis: Brave looking avatars of Shadzter, Hogfather, and another appropiate mod or two are gaurding over the city of sonic stadium, when out of the shadows come.... The Celebrity politician Trolls! they attack spouting lies and causing trouble, then when the mods start to fight them they mutate into their true troublesome forms, but are defeated. Its simple, but the basic premise can be turned into something very amusing!

I will see about coming up with an intro, might even try voicing it as well, hope to see what you guys think, and hope you contribute. Have a good time, and I wish you the best of luck

So we can start organizing this a bit, going to keep a running tally for the moment, remember this is just a list of volunteers, so you arent bound to this or anything, but we would love your help. also in regards to concept artists, if you want to do scenery bases, thats great, your work could be incorporated into the final project, Storyboards of course would be used to help make the actual scenes.

Story overseer/editor: Myself

Animators: Swiss, Alexander

Concept artists: Auto

Artists:

Voice Actors: too many to list, we will call upon you guys to submit proposed clips when we have at least storyboards/story together for a segment

if I put this in the wrong place admins, please move it to the right place

If you need any help with writing then I'm more than happy to help, I've done quite a bit of Sonic related writing