Awoo.

The SSMB animation thread! running series name: 'Stadium Mayhem' Pilot under development, release TBD

Mando-Whirl-Wind

I also feel this would work much better centered around the Sonic side of things because the deeper we involve inside jokes between members the less are going to get it, and Im talking about the SSMB crowd too, ive been here 2 years and hardly know much about anyone, only what they tend to add to a discussion, and thus are known for.

I suggest we make it as funny as possible and center it around our various sonic discussions that have turned up some hilarious results. Yes keep members in as themselves with their own personalities and input, but keep the jokes accessable.

that would give us a larger audience and really showcase the SSMB as a fun sonic discussion site and could even attract new members (not that that was a goal or anything)

and with the lightsabers epic battle with zombies and everything...
a) that would be extremely difficult to animate especially with the variety of character/avatar styles and action on top of having a flush city and jam packed with BG cameos..

and

B) I have no idea where the joke is there, (sorry)

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, I really like Soniko's idea. Making this a comic would be a bumillion times easier and less hassling then going with a full blown animation every month. If anything I feel that the best way to handle the comic would be to have a combination of displaying a few of the quirks and what not of each of our members and getting a chance to jab at some of the recognizable and hilarious shenanigans that go down here, while also handling it in a manner that can be seen as funny by others who can't normally be found on the forum, while still having a few hidden in jokes that many of us could find appreciation in. So ideally something like BitF.

Furthermore, let's try to avoid getting an overly idealistic picture of what this project could potentially result in. If we were to go down the animation route, expecting anything along the lines of some kind of lengthy, epic confrontation between mods and zombies is laughable at best, I doubt that any of us are ultra professional animators that can dedicate all of our times to some simple project for the forum (and honestly i'd be a lot more disappointed if people like Alex or Soniko were actually willing to toss their own projects to the side specifically for this). As for the comic, going back to the BitF example, even that comic had a pretty rocky and meh worthy start, so don't expect any of our first works to be the greatest comics around. None of us should even expect to be anything more than a semi-recurring face, so no main character status to any of you, which should even include Mando, editor or not. Plus going back to that topic, I hope you plan on allowing us to work on this project as more of a team of equals, because a lot of your previous posts sort of imply that we're going on a "what Mando likes" sort of basis.

tl;dr this project will probably suck ass if we don't start off with a few baby steps and progressively improve from there, also slight echoing of Soniko

• Thumbs Up 7

Well this topic is for discussing potential ideas, so I reckon nothing has been finalized yet. But I also dislike the idea of inside jokes and general doucheness. It's very likely that non members would eventually see it and just think it's dumb and it may even give SSMB a bad image. Plus as Naysu, a large group of current members wont know what's going on either.

Besides that, I'm seeing things already getting far too ambitious when we simply don't have the numbers to back up such ideas.
I'm wanting to learn animation too, but lack the tools to do so. You can't pile so much on the 2 animators who have kindly offered to be a part of this. We've gotta start simple, like Freckles said above.

"You've gotta learn to walk before you can run."

With that being said, I'd love to try to help and take part, as long as things don't take a nasty turn.

I think the peoples concerns are fair enough, and making comics would probably be a lot easier than animating. For me it'd probably take only a little less time than animating though, considering how OCD I get when I draw. XD.

Better than animating I guess. If I draw for too long, I tend to get really burned out, and it's such a painful feeling.

However, we're doing comic strips/animated episodic skits, then count me out. I cannot make a good punchline to save my life as some people could probably tell. Most of the jokes would probably consist of, "lol get it?" or "lol this is funny, pls laugh at it" or just stupidity in general that would probably make people groan rather than laugh. My more funnier jokes tend to come out of nowhere.

Sometimes I really envy the others skills at humor. 

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been thinking things over and came up with some member designs that would fit in this cartoon idea, as well as being simple and (hopefully) easily animated/drawn.

Some members didn't really need to have a design created for them, as they already had a perfect example as an avatar. Inferno, Kamicciolo & VizardJeffhog are examples of this.

img275w.jpg

img276a.jpg

I had various reasons for making a certain member look a certain way. Like with Crow, he's a fan of the Disgaea series and has a Deviantart account under the name "Tehdemonlord." Hence his demonic appearance. The fact that his body is a bullet is just because of the "Boolet" in his username. 

I found Komodin to be the hardest. He's a big reader and writer, the best way I could figure to show that was with the pencil on his ear. Nobody uses a typewriter anymore, and even books are becoming rarer due to e-reader things. I would've also made him taller, but I misjudged the space available.

Anyway, I did these for fun and I hope they help explain what the others have been saying.

I look like Dexter.

I love it.

• Thumbs Up 4

I've been thinking things over and came up with some member designs that would fit in this cartoon idea, as well as being simple and (hopefully) easily animated/drawn.

Some members didn't really need to have a design created for them, as they already had a perfect example as an avatar. Inferno, Kamicciolo & VizardJeffhog are examples of this.

img275w.jpg

img276a.jpg

I had various reasons for making a certain member look a certain way. Like with Crow, he's a fan of the Disgaea series and has a Deviantart account under the name "Tehdemonlord." Hence his demonic appearance. The fact that his body is a bullet is just because of the "Boolet" in his username. 

I found Komodin to be the hardest. He's a big reader and writer, the best way I could figure to show that was with the pencil on his ear. Nobody uses a typewriter anymore, and even books are becoming rarer due to e-reader things. I would've also made him taller, but I misjudged the space available.

Anyway, I did these for fun and I hope they help explain what the others have been saying.

img275w.jpg

img276a.jpg

What about me? DaHog?

You've been here for merely more than a month, dude. :U

Good point. *Sits in a corner and plots revenge*

img275w.jpg

img276a.jpg

I am glad someone decided to help breathe some life into this, I dont want this to dies, however I doubt I am the person to run this, I will do what I can to help, however honestly we need a couple of dedicated people willing to help pull this through. guess I need to swallow some Pym particles and shrink out of the way a bit wink.png going to try and put together a Knuckles chaotix port petition anyways. but I will still be haunting this thread

If you guys dont get the ref, I am an Ant-Man fan

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

I love those concepts...

By this I assume I'd look like someone with a polar bear costume then :P

• Thumbs Up 1

img275w.jpg

img276a.jpg

Hold on... Why does Pelly have animal ears? And a tail?

Edited by Mario the Plumber

This topic needs more potatoes!

*ahem*

Well, I did something this weekend... and then I dosed off... 

Yeeaaaaahhh.... I swear I can do more than that though! Uh... I has another video on my channel somewhere, I guess you can catch a glimpse of other voices I can do?

My house is just so noisy all the time, so I rarely ever get to record anything.

I actually have a handful of my own forum member designs that I've been sort of stockpiling over time, though they're primarily of my buds from the Skype Chat, and have a few stylistic spins that I've used for the sake of my own little project. Also, they're all individually uploaded, so warning: large

DOHj9Nf.jpgmnyo0.jpgUOgju.jpg7jwQU.jpgYC78sTU.jpgGi3FX7e.jpgA1cK943.jpg

l1cezbm.jpgpn0DyYG.jpg

From top to bottom, it's Cero, Blue Wisp, Rawrs, Chibinuva, Crow the Boolet, NGw00d, Xenos, Monkey D. Eddy, and Felix. In most cases these were the results of spontaneous bursts of inspiration that I usually get in the middle of school, based on everything I can remember about the member in question, which I then bring to the chat and hope that they're well received (and they are in most cases). Though of course when that's not the case I make sure to go back and edit the designs around to suit the specifications of the person who wanted it. For example, Chibi's design here is actually the third one I created, I knew from the start that i needed a dwarf to represent him (cuz Chibi), though after the first one flopped I decided to add a bit of fire to it (because nuva looks like nova), but then Chibi corrected me, saying that nuva was more representative of water, which lead to this design here (also unseen in the sketch here is a talking leg of ham that he uses as a weapon, which symbolizes his brother, hamdude). Though I still have some edits to these designs I never got around to doing, such as giving Xenos shoes, and fixing Eddy's thumb and giving him a mustache/beard combo. 

I'll try to whip up a few others later, I've already got a handful of design ideas popping up as I type <3

Seems like an interesting idea. Though, a sitcom based on the Stadium might be a better alternative to the 'epic' narrative.

Only one idea for it at the minute- a name. How about "Fan Fiction: The Sonic Stadium Story"?

• Thumbs Up 3

But shouldn't the name reflect the concept? We haven't even agreed upon that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know how well this would actually go over but, I'll lend my voice in any bits I'm included in, I suppose. Prepare for the real voice behind the Ralph mask, and his wicked Boston accent. I know the comic idea would work wonderfully, though.

Hold on... Why does Pelly have animal ears? And a tail?

One word. Pony.

Or more specifically, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The ears and tail are a reference to her being a fan of the series. I could've really done that with every "brony" I drew, but I didn't want the members character designs to look too similar to each other. Like with Wolfy, who is also a fan of the show.

I guess I should also mention I did all those without having input from the members or using Skype Chat. I don't really know what Skype is or if I can use it. I always assumed it was a type of video chat thing. I did know what some members looked like, by browsing the photo thread. While with others I used there current avatar and information shared on the profile page.

Like with Nepenthe, her design was based around her avatar, while I also included her west highland terrier mentioned in her profile page.

Felix looking like Dexter was deliberate, because he mentions how Genndy Tartakovsky is one of his favourite cartoonists, as well as Dexter's Laboratory being the first cartoon listed in his favourites.

Hogfathers appearance was mostly based on Ian Hislop, (Who is featured as his avatar) while dressing as a stereotypical Englishman, but not acting like one. Sorta referencing his professionalism and sense of humour.

I know I said "I drew them for fun," but I feel like creating more. I dunno...

Edited by DanJ86

Those are pretty awesome dude haha. For the most part you did a good job at trying to capture who everyone "is" the best you can without actually knowing everyone under the sun. Also I'm loving the feet on my character thingy, they're so big and square and awesome, <3.

• Thumbs Up 2

First off bi-monthly means twice a month, not every other month (bisect is to cut into 2) =P

Secondly I'm concerned with how this topic is going.

Well....before I say that I should say Dan those are lovely pieces of art and very nice of you to draw many members. Cero I like your drawings as well, it's always fun to see stuff like that.

But back to my concerns. The OP of the topic has basically dropped out, and thus this all feels very directionless right now. As it's going now, I basically see this topic devolving into a somewhat masturbatory 'Hey draw me' or 'We should do a comic about me and X', etc etc.

Projects need leaders to coordinate and get things moving. Considering the person who had the initial drive to do that has dropped out and no one else seems to be stepping up, I can't say I have much hope for things. If you guys want to collaborate on community projects, you need to actively set forth a plan of action and get a move on things rather than throwing around wishy-washy ideas. Brainstorming has it's place, but in large groups without direction it's usually a killer. 

If you guys want to go ahead with this then I won't lock the topic, but you need to get a plan together and get some progress on it or this topic is just going to further devolve into utter dribble. 

and I mean that in the nicest way <3

• Thumbs Up 3

First off bi-monthly means twice a month, not every out month (bisect is to cut into 2) =P

Secondly I'm concerned with how this topic is going.

Well....before I say that I should say Dan those are lovely pieces of art and very nice of you to draw many members. Cero I like your drawings as well, it's always fun to see stuff like that.

But back to my concerns. The OP of the topic has basically dropped out, and thus this all feels very directionless right now. As it's going now, I basically see this topic devolving into a somewhat masturbatory 'Hey draw me' or 'We should do a comic about me and X', etc etc.

Projects need leaders to coordinate and get things moving. Considering the person who had the initial drive to do that has dropped out and no one else seems to be stepping up, I can't say I have much hope for things. If you guys want to collaborate on community projects, you need to actively set forth a plan of action and get a move on things rather than throwing around wishy-washy ideas. Brainstorming has it's place, but in large groups without direction it's usually a killer. 

If you guys want to go ahead with this then I won't lock the topic, but you need to get a plan together and get some progress on it or this topic is just going to further devolve into utter dribble. 

and I mean that in the nicest way <3

Pelly's right guys. If we're gonna do this, then we need a leader to lay out the basics or we'll be all over the place.

I was willing to, however I never seem to have luck at organizing teams and getting them moving, thats why I decided to step down and see if there was someone more capable. I tend to be an idea starter rather than an idea mover

I was willing to, however I never seem to have luck at organizing teams and getting them moving, thats why I decided to step down and see if there was someone more capable. I tend to be an idea starter rather than an idea mover

We should have a vote on who should be leader.