Awoo.

Yoshi's Woolly World (Available now on the Wii U, 3DS and in my veins! My bloodstream is woolly soft!)

YoshiUnity

It's the fanboys natural retaliation for Federation Force. Next comes the elaborate drone strike to take out the 8-bit amibos.

What the hell is up with these people? Such a waste to just destroy those Amiibo! ><

I hope it's not because of E3...

I'm not sure if this is true, but if you thought the Splatoon Amiibo truck raid was bad...

https://twitter.com/AmiiboAlerts/status/611883047986708481?p=v

It looks like some of the Wooly World Bundle Stock has been destroyed! Or lost!

Those people must be REALLY angry over the digital event... Huh? People already made that joke already? Damnit.

Ugh, this is going to make the prices for these things rise and these are the only Amiibos I actually really want. :C

What the hell is up with these people? Such a waste to just destroy those Amiibo! ><

I hope it's not because of E3...

We still don't know if the destruction was made by someone, Nintendo France has not made a announcement yet, but its most likely that they were destroyed because they were not in the european toys standard. (the CE logo on toys package)

NintendoWorldReport – 8.5 / 10

GameReactor – 9 / 10
VideoGamer – 6 / 10
Nintendo Life – 9 / 10
GameSpot – 6 / 10
DigitalSpy – 3 / 5
GamesRadar – 3.5 / 5

Some of the review scores so far. Seems to be pretty mixed.

The game isn't getting unanimously positive reviews?

h22n8hR.png

The Sonic Curse has inflicted its wrath on the Yoshi series. Again.

Must say I'm disappointed that Woolly World isn't shaping up to be the first truly critically acclaimed Yoshi game since Yoshi's Island, but the people who seem to like it seem to really like it and the low ratings are nowhere near as bad as something like New Island. So, it's an improvement, just maybe not quite the extraordinary one we all hoped for.

Looking forward to picking it up on Friday nevertheless, I just recently finished Kirby's Epic Yarn so I'm still in the mood for a bit more yarn-tastic platform action!

EDIT: Behold, a look at all of the different amiibo Yoshi designs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2vP8ZgZb7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls8zStML7hQ

Eurogamer's line is basically that the game is fundamentally sound, fun, good-looking, but it's not new enough and doesn't improve on the ideas it borrowed.  Yoshi's New Island if Yoshi's New Island had actually been a good game rather than a poor one, in other words.

Eurogamer's line is basically that the game is fundamentally sound, fun, good-looking, but it's not new enough and doesn't improve on the ideas it borrowed.  Yoshi's New Island if Yoshi's New Island had actually been a good game rather than a poor one, in other words.

You mean Yoshi's Woolly World, I think?

You mean Yoshi's Woolly World, I think?

No, what he's saying is that Yoshi's Woolly World is essentially Yoshi's New Island, had Yoshi's New Island actually been a good game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having read a few more of the reviews now, it's clear that the mid-range scores outweigh the high ones, and I'm feeling really quite underwhelmed by the whole thing. I'm sure there's still going to be fun to be had and no one has said it's a bad game by any means - but perhaps that's the problem. It's not a bad game, but it's also not the great game that it should have been. It's just kind of... good enough. Which is fine, but when you consider how Yoshi hasn't really had an astounding game in 20 years, and how promising Woolly World had looked in the run-up to its release... it's a bit disappointing.

I'm wondering just how far into "lack of own identity" territory it goes... let's not have another giant Baby Bowser final boss fight, please?

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought this was going to get critical acclaim everywhere just like Kirby Epic Yarn, but it's very mixed so far. =[ Then again Epic Yarn wasn't THAT amazing so I'll just judge this for myself when I get the chance to play it.

I'm surprised on the review for this game. I thought it was gonna get nothing but praise knowing ambitious Yoshi/Mario games.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

The reviews I'm hearing are "after the cuteness dies down, its basically just another 2D platformer." Maybe they're saying this due to the overabundance of 2D platformers on the Wii U, but personally I think there's a lot more to this than it just being another 2D Yoshi platformer.

The wool concept really changes up the gameplay a lot from past Yoshi games. That's really the main thing I'm seeing here. A lot of puzzle solving and item searching revolves around the wool concept, such as opening up hidden passageways, creating wool platformers, tieing up enemies or even turning chain chomps into chomp rocks.

One complaint I did see that will likely be a major nuisance is that, according to GamesRadar, when you collect items, if you die you don't keep any items... apparently even before a checkpoint? I mean, I understand it if its after a checkpoint, but it'd be totally ridiculous if you lose everything and have to start the entire level over to get things you lost on death.

My other question is did some of these guys accidently play it on lifesaver mode? that would explain of the ease XD, but that's unlikely

I think it's more the wildly different skill levels between game journos these days. Some, like Gamespot, are complaining it's too hard.

I have to say, maybe it's the camera angel, but those Amiibo look just a little better advertised than they do in real life...?

Also, the review scores seem pretty fine by me.  At least, not enough to dampen my optimism.  It looks like something I'll certainly enjoy, albeit I am a tad disappointed that others are not to quite the same extent.

I thought this was going to get critical acclaim everywhere just like Kirby Epic Yarn, but it's very mixed so far. =[ Then again Epic Yarn wasn't THAT amazing so I'll just judge this for myself when I get the chance to play it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm wondering just how far into "lack of own identity" territory it goes... let's not have another giant Baby Bowser final boss fight, please?

Please, the pattern isn't "giant Baby Bowser" any more.  It's giant Baby Bowser followed by giant regular Bowser from the future.

Please, the pattern isn't "giant Baby Bowser" any more.  It's giant Baby Bowser followed by giant regular Bowser from the future.

Ugh, don't remind me! *cries*

Anyway, here's a "history" trailer recapping all the previous Yoshi games up to Woolly World:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZXxOb6S6s0

I love how even the little speech block thing sounds like it might be bored when it starts talking about New Island - "Yoshi has to help out Baby Mario again..." :lol:

What? No Yoshi Touch and Go? I guess it isn't canon or something so it wasn't shown in the trailer.

For those interested... here's the game's final boss battle!

I BET YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHO IT IS

/sarcasm

The game is barely even out in English yet.  GameXplain honestly feel like the kid who posts "first!" on every comments thread.

As for the contents of the video...

It's not the worst incarnation of that battle, but that cliché is absolutely exhausted now.  Hell, we've had Giant Baby Bowser final bosses in a Yoshi game now

twice in the space of two years.  And they still haven't exceeded the original Yoshi's Island, and frankly never will.  Yoshi pretty desperately needs some new blood if it's going to continue to be a subfranchise.