Awoo.

Yoshi's Woolly World (Available now on the Wii U, 3DS and in my veins! My bloodstream is woolly soft!)

YoshiUnity

Personally not bothered if it's a bit similar to Epic Yarn, it'll probably be unique enough to be its own thing regardless. Epic Yarn was wonderful because it was its own kind of game, I think Yoshi will do the same thing, with similarities to Yoshi play.

By the way, I can't be the only one who thought Yoshi's Story was pretty crap? Is anyone else worried that they're comparing this to Yoshi's Story? The gameplay and art makes it look like it'll be more like its own thing, but I'm still worried it'll be too much like Yoshi's Story and not enough like.. actual good Yoshi games.

Between Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story, I feel that Island is the better-made game and I've played it a lot more, but Story just seems much more fun. There's no fucking baby so stress levels are at a minimum, collecting every melon is an interesting challenge, and having diverging level paths made it really cool to explore the entirety of the game, even though it meant the game could be beaten in about 20 minutes.

Island has already gotten a lot of "love" (depending on who you ask, whether or not they liked the DS entries at all) as of late, while Story felt like it was swept under the rug aside from Smash Bros.

• Thumbs Up 5

Island has already gotten a lot of "love" (depending on who you ask, whether or not they liked the DS entries at all) as of late, while Story felt like it was swept under the rug aside from Smash Bros.

I always assumed it was because Story just wasn't very good.

I dunno, it felt so shallow, easy and straightforward to me, I completed it in like 10 minutes having no idea how I'd gotten where I had, and then didn't feel like playing it much more.

"Short and easy" is more or less the definition of the Kirby franchise, so I don't really feel inclined to cite those as reasons why the game isn't good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fair point, I love Kirby games but I really found Yoshi's Story insanely dull, shallow and plastic (and I don't just mean the visuals)

It never got good reviews either so it can't just be me?

As long as it's not ridiculously easy as piss, I'm game, I know that Epic Yarn was appealing to children but man was it boring as shit because of the lack of challenge, I hope Yoshi doesn't go that route, because Yoshi's Island was a tricky sonuvabitch

Edited by Black☆Rock Shooter

Yoshi's Story is just one of those infinitely replayable games that I played so many times when I was a kid and can still pick up and enjoy. Perhaps it comes with the growing up territory and that you'd had to have been there in a young set of mind to appreciate all the things it had going for it, because as a kid's experience it had a ton of things - simple yet optionally incredibly challenging objectives, happy yet sometimes scary and even bleak elements and an incredibly charming atmosphere. It was one of few games that made me feel part of an adventure because the way I responded to everything felt so real. I can't see it capturing that same essence for people playing it in later stages of their lives though.

Yoshi's Island DS is complete dogshit. It's not even the partner gimmick mechanic that kills it. The music is god awful and it makes me sick. I can't play the game without muting that putrid garbage.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah Yoshi's Island DS was definitely weak in music and the partner system was tedious

(however I still found it far better than Story.. maybe you're right that I can't enjoy it because I never played it as a child, oop)

However I think if it was a truly good game, it should be enjoyable even if you're not a child. Children would enjoy it even more if it was good enough for anyone to enjoy.

But hey that's just me.

Yoshi's Story is just one of those infinitely replayable games that I played so many times when I was a kid and can still pick up and enjoy. Perhaps it comes with the growing up territory and that you'd had to have been there in a young set of mind to appreciate all the things it had going for it, because as a kid's experience it had a ton of things - simple yet optionally incredibly challenging objectives, happy yet sometimes scary and even bleak elements and an incredibly charming atmosphere. It was one of few games that made me feel part of an adventure because the way I responded to everything felt so real. I can't see it capturing that same essence for people playing it in later stages of their lives though.

Yoshi's Island DS is complete dogshit. It's not even the partner gimmick mechanic that kills it. The music is god awful and it makes me sick. I can't play the game without muting that putrid garbage.

When I first played story I was about 9 possibly turning 10. when I finish it on the first go i was like wait somethings missing. then I saw the time trial screen and saw all these empty spots next to the levels that I played. Then I bought the guide book and was like WOAH!. more things to do plus black and white yoshis to find.

The most offensive part of Island DS was that bloody cave music.  The cave music from Island is one of the most wonderful songs in the Yoshi franchise and they came up with something so forgettable and generic and unlike the old one I just... blargh.

The one theme they remixed in Brawl was nice though.

Anyway, as for Story if you've only ever played it through once you've pretty much done the equivilent of playing up to the first Bowser battle on Mario 64 and then calling it quits in terms of the amount of game content you've actually experienced.

Try playing any of the Stage 4's on Yoshi's Story's worlds and tell me it's still an easy game.  8U  Especially if you're collecting all three hearts on each level.  And the 30 Melon challenge goes into Nintendo Hard territory.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my opinion, I thought Kirby's Epic Yarn was the most boring game I've ever played. Yes, I'm not expecting a challenge whenever it comes to Kirby Games, but the game was just bland and the only challenge to it was a collect all beads, which IMO is just tedious.  And to me, it just didn't look or feel like a Kirby game.

I guess the main thing I love about Kirby games are the Abilities, I find it gives a lot of replayability to the series. (Though I did enjoy Mass Attack which was another Kirby game with a different formula) 

But I'm way off topic. This game on the other hand looks gorgeous, and gives me a Yoshi Story feel to it. I'm really digging Yoshi's Yarn plush model that they have

Yoshi's Story was a really excellent game, and Yoshi's Island is possibly one of my all time favorite games. I look forward to seeing more info on this game, and here's to hoping we get a trailer by the time E3 comes around.

Um...

Wow. I'm not thrilled by this at all. It's the art style. It didn't wow me with Kirby, but now with Yoshi I'm disappointed not to see the crayon effect. Kinda not interested honestly. 

Edited by Blue Blood

Personally not bothered if it's a bit similar to Epic Yarn, it'll probably be unique enough to be its own thing regardless. Epic Yarn was wonderful because it was its own kind of game, I think Yoshi will do the same thing, with similarities to Yoshi play.

By the way, I can't be the only one who thought Yoshi's Story was pretty crap? Is anyone else worried that they're comparing this to Yoshi's Story? The gameplay and art makes it look like it'll be more like its own thing, but I'm still worried it'll be too much like Yoshi's Story and not enough like.. actual good Yoshi games.

Yoshi's Story tends to look shitty when compared to Island, especially when it was implied to be a sequel. If it's your first Yoshi game or if you look at it as a spiritual successor, it's not bad at all. Certainly not as good as Island, but it's a great entry.

Island DS, on the other hand....

I was really hoping this new game would be an actual proper island sequel with lack of suckage. Everything about Island was great - the extra items (flowers, red coins, stars) that gave you bonuses for getting them all, having items you could access from the pause menu like melon seeds, the art style, the gameplay, the depth (multicoloured eggs via ricochet to get extra stars and stuff), optional levels that are SUPER DIFFICULT, and excellent music. Oh and I like the old-school Yoshi sounds instead of the weird Pokemon-esque ones they use now (although the newer ones aren't BAD).

I think it looks really good, but I need to see/hear more about the gameplay.

I didn't get Kirby's Epic Yarn because of the "can't die/no sucking abilities" thing.

Oh who the fuck am I kidding
Day 1 just because it's a new Yoshi game.

Never played a Yoshi game before. Will change that in due course.

You don't know what you have been missing Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story are amazing.

You don't know what you have been missing Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story are amazing.

I heard the GBC game is short and the N64 game is piss easy with it being made for 'kids'.

I do remember playing the N64 version at the eagle's nest.

I heard the GBC game is short and the N64 game is piss easy with it being made for 'kids'.

I do remember playing the N64 version at the eagle's nest.

The What? I was talking about Yoshi's Island on the Super Nintendo, and if your talking about the GBA port is shouldn't be short. And like I believe Jez said Story is a game that you have to get to the Stage 4 levels to see difficulty. Also I grow up with that game so I guess in a way I am forgiving out its shortness and easiness and love it for its charm and replayability.

Funny thing, I feel they don't need to do too much to make Epic Yarn's gameplay into a Yoshi style game. Replace Kirby's yarn whip with Yoshi's tongue, store enemies in his mouth instead of on Kirby's head, swap out the Metamato transformations for things like dashing with Yoshi's Island/Yoshi's Story animations and add swallowing(which is seen when Yoshi turns from yarn outline to crochet doll here) and you got a new Yoshi game!

I always felt Kirby's Epic Yarn felt like a spiritual successor to Yoshi's Story minus the eggs. Focus on lots of eating and spitting and add in lots of cute and fanservice, and try to make it a little less easy, and I think we've got a good game. Even better if it's followed up with a new traditional Yoshi game sometime afterwards like Kirby!

It would be nice if they added some other Yoshi gameplay elements in though. Eggs and watermelons and red coins and such.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

So what IS the deal with this game? We haven't heard a single piece of info about this since it's reveal last year, which is pretty odd for a Nintendo title.

Should we just assume the worst in that it's cancelled? Better not be, since this looks 100X better than New Yoshi's Island Bros. 3DS

• Thumbs Up 4

It looked to me like it was only at a very early stage of development in the initial footage.  They probably announced it as early as they could to make sure that people knew that good Wii U games were coming eventually, but it wouldn't have been ready all that soon.  We might not hear any more about it until Yoshi's New Island has been released this spring, to make sure that people are only focussing on one Yoshi game at a time in case one cannibalises the audience of each other (way more 3DS owners than Wii U owners, but the Epic Yarn team have a better reputation than the New Island team, so it could go either way).

>See posts in this thread

>Get excited for new stuff

>Enter thread

>No new stuff

>fuckeveryoneandeverything

>Post in thread to continue raising other peoples' hopes

But uh, yeah, I want this game inside me. I think it'll be one of those games where it randomly shows up out of nowhere after months or years of nothingness and then suddenly comes out and is awesome. Least I hope.

This and smash bro's is making the wii-u a bit more attractive in my eyes, now if they can make a new sonic game that brings the series back up a bit in popularity then a wii-u you'll find in my house, like this emerald thunder_with_electric_emerald_by_thunder

>See posts in this thread

>Get excited for new stuff

>Enter thread

>No new stuff

>fuckeveryoneandeverything

>Post in thread to continue raising other peoples' hopes

But uh, yeah, I want this game inside me. I think it'll be one of those games where it randomly shows up out of nowhere after months or years of nothingness and then suddenly comes out and is awesome. Least I hope.

Same reaction, Can't believe it's been a Year since we heard anything about this game.