Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

I've already watched the leaked episode about a couple days ago and forgot to post about it so I'll do it now.

It was an alright episode. I did liked some of the character interactions and expressions even though the plot was Scooby Doo-ish at best with everypony running about and them scaring each other, which made it predictable early in the first half, no hall of doorways gag though.

Though all Twilight did was finding a plot device which just set up the episodic lesson plans for this season and probably beyond (willing to bet that all diaries come together to form the Book of Harmony at series end?). It also just shows how this whole ascension development as princess is slow to a crawl/standstill, again making it feel pointless and that princesshood is to act as plot convenience/contrivance when the writer's want it to be (seasonal openings and endings most likely), thus far. Also, the predictable "surprise twist" at the end with Pinkie when it would have been better if it was one of the princesses so to provide more exposition about the old castle's peaceful times.

Also, Pony of Shadows at the end had yellow eyes. It's Zecora, I'm calling it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've already watched the leaked episode about a couple days ago and forgot to post about it so I'll do it now.

It was an alright episode. I did liked some of the character interactions and expressions even though the plot was Scooby Doo-ish at best with everypony running about and them scaring each other, which made it predictable early in the first half, no hall of doorways gag though.

Though all Twilight did was finding a plot device which just set up the episodic lesson plans for this season and probably beyond (willing to bet that all diaries come together to form the Book of Harmony at series end?). It also just shows how this whole ascension development as princess is slow to a crawl/standstill, again making it feel pointless and that princesshood is to act as plot convenience/contrivance when the writer's want it to be (seasonal openings and endings most likely), thus far. Also, the predictable "surprise twist" at the end with Pinkie when it would have been better if it was one of the princesses so to provide more exposition about the old castle's peaceful times.

Also, Pony of Shadows at the end had yellow eyes. It's Zecora, I'm calling it.

I recently just watched it on YT, because I missed it this morning.

I hope all these plot devices they're using adds up to the Season Finale that'll be awesome. And Pony of Shadows it has to be Zecora. If not....then who?!?

Just watched the latest episode:

I have to say this was quite enjoyable. Though, probably not as climatic as it could of been. Seeing the old castle was cool in terms as we've only seen one room of it thus far but I feel as though there were some missed opportunities. To be perfectly honest, when Twilight went on towards the end about how learning from the past helped her enjoy her experience in the castle my only thought was "Wow, I wish we could of also gained some further insight on the past like you did Twilight. Maybe the episode should of been based entirely around the journal you found instead of what we actually got." I mean, it could very possibly be my bias for a princess only/ ancient equestrian history episode but from the brief details we did get about the journal, it seemed like a pretty awesome idea for an episode. I seriously hope this book isn't dropped completely.

Though, not to say what we got was bad, far from it. Looking at the actual episode, I did enjoy it. While it didn't have as heavy as a driving force like most of the previous episodes of the series, I did like the fact that it went at its own pace. What I mean is that it was nice to just see the characters interacting with each other and really showing off their traits instead of having some kind of overall plot influencing their actions. Each of them had a reason for being there that was true to their character. Add in some of the great gags in this and you have an episode that's  really enjoyable with a vibe that (while I hope isn't over used in this season) I wouldn't mind revisiting every now and then. While this episode completely negated any opportunity on backstory, it was a nice episode in it's own right. It was laid out very well and every characters' personality was right on the mark. ...*cough*every character except Luna AGAIN even though she would of been perfect here... and everywhere else!!!@!*cough*

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't even know it leaked :/

It was pretty good up until the ending, Pinkie randomly coming out of nowhere was pretty dumb. However I am a fan of the new overarching story, thats what I thought the show was gonna be like when I first heard of it a few years ago.

I think this is probably one of the most average episodes of the show I’ve seen.  It had some meh moments that weren’t so offensively bad as to ruin the episode but its interesting and funny moments weren’t numerous enough to make it feel significant.

FiM’s strength, for me at least, lies in its interesting characters and how nearly every episode places them in a situation that brings out the best and worst of their personally and how they grow or reveal more about themselves from it. Castle-Mane-ia however played the characters very straight, there weren’t any new insights into the characters that we haven’t already seen in previous episodes.  It was like an actually funny Scooby doo episode with a blatantly obvious culprit.

There was also some odd bits of characterization for AJ and RD. Suggesting that they should continue their competition by spending a night in the forest that nearly killed them last episode (and almost every other time they entered it) seemed very foolish for a practical, level headed character like AJ, I couldn’t even see Dash suggesting something so rash after her development through Season 3. Also it seems very off that these two tough girls who have fought demi-gods, dragons, manticores, and an entire changeling army are spooked so easily by a billowing curtain and a shadow.  I don’t mind the idea of them getting scared, they aren’t completely fearless characters, but their panic should have had more build up than that of Fluttershy and Rarity.

My final nitpick would have to be the Angel “death” joke. Now this isn’t the first time the show has pulled a faked death, either to fool the audience or just the characters. However any other time it was either :

1.  Given the dramatic weight that a cinematic death should have (ex. “dead” Celestia in the last episode) ,

2.  Used for a narrative payoff that shows character growth or insight (ex. Fluttershy taking responsibility for Philomena’s “death”),

3. Or subverted immediately (ex. Rarity “slaying” Steven Magnet or “Flutality” on the bear).

Here the joke is unnecessarily cruel, it’s simply “Fluttershy thinks here closest animal companion was crushed to death. LOL look at her struggle in vain as she bawls her eyes out in despair.”

Now that I’m done nitpicking let me point out what I liked. Twilight plus books continues to be hilarious adorkable. Rarity was an amazing drama horse as usual. I like the new set up for future morals as journal entries and I hope it builds up to something later on like the friendship reports did in Return of Harmony. I loved the little introspection the funhouse castle gives to the royal sisters and their relationship pre-NMM, despite what Luna Eclipse implies they definitely had a good sense of humor. Finally I like the setup of the real “shadow pony” (which I believe is either Luna or Zecora) and I hope they’re teasing future developments from this character.

All in all I think it was decent first attempt at pony for the new writer Josh Haber. Hopefully with more episodes he’ll get more comfortable with the characters and push them in more interesting directions.

• Thumbs Up 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH9DZUp3Eto

I still stand on my opinion on the episode and agree that the episode felt like fluff. Though he brings up the interesting notion about the Pony of Shadows at the end signifies an overarching villain that will probably appear occasionally throughout the season. It'll be interesting to see a new villain develop in such as way. Also, probably the reason why Celestia wants Discord to be release from his stony prison as well and gives more of a reason for the NMM flashback. I still could see Discord pulling a Kefka Palazzo after 'helping' in defeating this evil pony and still become a schemer in the shadows type villain in this season. He could probably pull something big in future seasons while setting up the pawns and pieces in their place. Things could go straight to Tartarus from here on out, which reminds me if we're ever going to see that place in the near future too. 

Though again with the yellow eyes, I kinda still see it as Zecora and it'll be interesting to see her using the castle as her new digs. Or it could probably be an ending gag that might be forgotten in the near future.

After watching BronyCurious's (yes, I'm still calling him BronyCurious), here are my further thoughts, which are straight from my comment from the video.

I thought the "Shadow Pony" at the end needs more development this season. This can go in two ways:
1. Have the character make cameo appearances in future episodes, slowly building this character up for a possible two-parter.
2. Save until the two-parter at the end, but that would be a disappointment, since we would almost forget about this character and seeing it brought out of nowhere is a bit jarring. 
I had a lot of fun with the episode. I called who was behind the chaos as soon as the portrait moved its eye, and the Scooby-Doo tone does slightly irk me, since I personally hate Scooby-Doo, but the interactions, mostly with Rarity and Fluttershy, and the gags were pretty entertaining. Yeah, the episode does feel a bit forced, but it's better than having the characters act out of character, ala, Boast Busters or Mare-Do Well. I do like the idea of the journal, and I do think it has promise and potential, so I'll see what it has in store. For Haber's first episode, it was certainly better than Megan's, that's for sure. But hey, Megan improved, as she provided us with a good opening for Season 4. So far, this has been a great season, and I can't wait for what next week has for us. smile.png

Though again with the yellow eyes, I kinda still see it as Zecora and it'll be interesting to see her using the castle as her new digs. 

That would make Zecora more awesome than she already is, but part of me will feel a bit disappointed, since it won't be a new character. 

I think this is probably one of the most average episodes of the show I’ve seen.  It had some meh moments that weren’t so offensively bad as to ruin the episode but its interesting and funny moments weren’t numerous enough to make it feel significant.

FiM’s strength, for me at least, lies in its interesting characters and how nearly every episode places them in a situation that brings out the best and worst of their personally and how they grow or reveal more about themselves from it. Castle-Mane-ia however played the characters very straight, there weren’t any new insights into the characters that we haven’t already seen in previous episodes.  It was like an actually funny Scooby doo episode with a blatantly obvious culprit.

There was also some odd bits of characterization for AJ and RD. Suggesting that they should continue their competition by spending a night in the forest that nearly killed them last episode (and almost every other time they entered it) seemed very foolish for a practical, level headed character like AJ, I couldn’t even see Dash suggesting something so rash after her development through Season 3. Also it seems very off that these two tough girls who have fought demi-gods, dragons, manticores, and an entire changeling army are spooked so easily by a billowing curtain and a shadow.  I don’t mind the idea of them getting scared, they aren’t completely fearless characters, but their panic should have had more build up than that of Fluttershy and Rarity.

My final nitpick would have to be the Angel “death” joke. Now this isn’t the first time the show has pulled a faked death, either to fool the audience or just the characters. However any other time it was either :

1.  Given the dramatic weight that a cinematic death should have (ex. “dead” Celestia in the last episode) ,

2.  Used for a narrative payoff that shows character growth or insight (ex. Fluttershy taking responsibility for Philomena’s “death”),

3. Or subverted immediately (ex. Rarity “slaying” Steven Magnet or “Flutality” on the bear).

Here the joke is unnecessarily cruel, it’s simply “Fluttershy thinks here closest animal companion was crushed to death. LOL look at her struggle in vain as she bawls her eyes out in despair.”

Now that I’m done nitpicking let me point out what I liked. Twilight plus books continues to be hilarious adorkable. Rarity was an amazing drama horse as usual. I like the new set up for future morals as journal entries and I hope it builds up to something later on like the friendship reports did in Return of Harmony. I loved the little introspection the funhouse castle gives to the royal sisters and their relationship pre-NMM, despite what Luna Eclipse implies they definitely had a good sense of humor. Finally I like the setup of the real “shadow pony” (which I believe is either Luna or Zecora) and I hope they’re teasing future developments from this character.

All in all I think it was decent first attempt at pony for the new writer Josh Haber. Hopefully with more episodes he’ll get more comfortable with the characters and push them in more interesting directions.

Okay after a second viewing without my sister and I talking over a third of the episode I'm gonna have to revise my opinion a bit. I still don't think it's as great as most other people feel it is but for a comedic episode it is more solid than I had originally thought. Rarity's constant complaints about the "ungrateful castle" were amazing especially when it built up to her dramatic breakdown near the end. Fluttershy getting annoyed by Rarity's eccentric BS was great and I love Twilight Snarkle putting down Spike for his sarcasm, calling the kettle black much? I'd say after a second viewing it's more of a solid B episode than a C+ like I initially thought.

Oh god that was fucking hilarious. It wasn't a plot-heavy episode by any stretch but it had really good comedy value; it was highly amusing. I was grinning the whole way through and laughed at some parts, especially at the part where Twilight and co. look on while thinking "wat" as everyone else is literally bouncing off the walls in a frightened daze.

It was a fun episode, not much more than that. I still enjoyed it despite it being kind of a "fluff" episode.

Finally got around to watching the new episode.  Don't really know what to think about it, though.  It had some funny moments, but the rest of it felt kind of meh in the big picture.  The whole Shadow Pony could lead to something, so I'm a little hopeful on that.  I think my favorite thing about this episode was Rarity constantly having that "I don't give a f@#k" look on her face about everything, even when Spike went flying at that one point.  Other than that, pretty average episode in my eyes.

Random factoids because I don't know how else to start this post:

* Unsurprisingly, all the third episodes of the 4 seasons have been slice of life (except that this one was a little tied with the previous 2 parter)

* All the third episodes feature the entire main cast (this one is different tho, because despite featuring all the mane 6 it didn't have any special focus on one of them)

* Until this episode it looked like all the 3rd episodes were cranking up the crazy a few levels each season.

* All the third episodes with exception of Too Many Pinkie Pies featured the way to deliver the aesop that would be used for the rest of season.

*  99% of statistics are made up, unless I made them, because I'm totally legit guise.

G9TWN.png

Overanalyzing is Spoooo-OOOO-oooo-kyyyy

What is a pony?

Episode 68: Castle Mane-Ia

*Note: in this episode I'll often refer to the characters as pairs, Dash and AJ and the Daring Duo, while Rare and Shy are the Girly Duo. (though if you look at the episode, I kinda feel the laters were more adventurous than the formers)

We start with Twilight looking for information about the mystery box she found on the previous chapters, sadly, Ponyville's library doesn't seems to hold information about mythical artifacts so ancient that not even the princess seems to know what they are...

Maybe Canterlot's Library has them? But this Line of thought is quickly stopped when Celestia delivers a letter mentioning that our royal bookworm might find what she's looking for somewhere between the very old, very dusty and very "should have been reduced to dust centuries ago" tomes located on the old castle where she and Luna used to live.

And right of the bat I found something I don't like about the episode (not the state of the books/castle that just requires some willing suspension of disbelief, and I'll get to that later as well), this bit really feels like Celestia was being cryptic just for the heck of it, the princess lived there and (if what's revealed later is anything to go by) she and Luna both personally supervised the building of the pallace. You'd think she'd know if there was a book about the plot important tree (that also happens to be located bellow said house) in her library.

Well, not really, you don't have to read any book on a library you own (some of them might be just gifts or some of them could have been added before the place got abandoned) but still, it rubbed me the wrong way. :x

But anyway, Twily goes to the library in the old castle and experiences her first nerdgasm as an Alicorn! The scene ends up with what I consider a freaking tease in the bad sense of the word (I'll get to that later).

After the opening we get to see Rainbow Dash and Applejack facing off in one of the most freaking hardcore staring contest ever! With a bunch of bees covering all over their selves while Pinkie provides commentary, sadly, this display of coolness, awesomeness and radicalness gets interrupted by the construction pony owner of the bees, who demands to get his honey source back, the bees go away and it's actually revealed that the competitive duo were actually wearing safety suits all along (which I found hilarious)... Well, that's not as hardcore as I thought it'd be... I guess I just picked what my eyes saw and just I let my imagination get the best of me.

... Anyway! It seems like this is as far as the Daringest Pony Competition will go today, and to make things worse, Pinkie's tally of the events reveal AJ and Dashie are tied! Again!

oxdgzBj.png

1) This still makes more sense than most of the Equestrian Writing samples we've seen in the show.

2) I bet we could make a list of the events this competition had just by looking at the doodles, also notice each side happens to have 8 pictures which, indeed, means they are tied! XD (probably not intentional, and of course I could be not counting this properly)

To make things worse(?) for the competitors, Pinkie has to leave them now because she volunteered to test the new school bell, to make things better (for her) she'll get to do it all week because no one else wanted to! And so the party pony leaves the scene, leaving our daring duo to ponder what's up next...

A few hours later (I guess), Fluttershy and Rarity are going through the Everfree forest! It turns out the fashion pony heard rumors (rumors?... Didn't you like... Visited that place at least twice by now? And who'd you heard them from? Twilight? >_>) about some very precious and oh so very valuable pieces of art and tapestry decaying on the castle, and as a pony who appreciates the arts she decided it would be a shame to let those things rot and be forgotten so she decided to go into the castle and face knows what kinds of perils in order to restore this pieces to their former glory, she might even get some inspiration for a new "Retro" line in the process! Flutters is just tagging along tho (BTW, this scene made me think of Putting Your Hoof Down), and so was Angel, who quickly rushes to the old castle. All the while a shadow lurks behind them...

The girly duo wonders a bit until Angel points them somewhere, Flutters really wants to warn the bunny about all the dangers lurking around this kind of places but it seems no one is willing to listen to her, so they keep going. At almost the same time, Twilight and Spike walk nearby while the purple Alicorn speaks of her plans to pull an all-nighter on here (because apparently only Rarara thought you could move everything you wanted back to Ponyville's safety)... And just as they walk away from our view RD and AJ arrive to the castle too!

Holy Contrived Coincidences Batman!

Though I actually don't see this as a negative point this time around, it's a funny happening that sets the scenario instead of a convenience that helps the heroes to reach the solution, so yeah, I feel a coincidence is more bearable when it "brings trouble" instead of solving them.

But yeah, the daring duo has come to the castle, RD points that there is nothing daring to do in a dungeon once you've already beaten the final boss of the place, but AJ points there might be a little sidequest in here (and good luck clearing it without the random rainbow power up, HA! >:U ), according to an ancient legend when Nightmare Moon was banished some magic leftovers took residence in here, in the form of an entity only known as the pony of shadows!

All the while, Rarara and Yellowquiet discover the first loot on their mission (And as I'm writting this I've realized I might have been reading too much Friendship is Dragons), Shy tries to pick it up but after some struggling she unintentionally smacks a switch, gets trapped on the tapestry and hurts her wing.

All of this while the daring duo just happen to pass near and spot a living tapestry howling and bawling like if it came from the depths of Tartarus (not really, but maybe it felt like that for them).

The next part of the chapter starts in the very same scene, Dash and AJ run away and then the switch triggers back reuniting Fluttershy with her party, after some walking both mares discuss about how careful they'll have to be while dealing with this ruins... And then Angel pushes a switch that makes them fall who knows where... Can I say I love that expression he had when he realised what he did and how he pretty much bailed? XD

Meanwhile the daring duo, after having a little taste of the castle decide this is the right test for them, a little later Twi and Spike are having no luck in their mission but things change when Angel suddenly comes in, again incidentally triggering a switch (though to be fair, Spike was the one who actually pushed it). Revealing a secret room, and in that room there is a book laying on a pedestal, and as it turns out the book happens to be a journal of both princesses before the whole NNM debacle! Twi somehow thinks a book written by the ponies who don't seem to know much about the tree somehow holds the answers she's looking for, and so she begins digging into Celly's private diary...

All the while the daring duo somehow ends up in a room full of disembodied pony legs (as stated by RD herself), and this is happening while the girly duo try to get out of the situation some bunny put them in, oh well, Rarity is, Fluttershy is freaking out because of her missing companion.

YjCdP8N.png 

Dash suddenly feels something touching her and wishfully thinks assumes it's AJ giving up but it turns out the farmer isn't even near her, realizing there is something else trying to grab them they run away while making some pretty funny faces (mostly AJ, her faces on this episode are hilarious), Rarity comments she felt something alive on the other side of the room and Fluttershy decides to completely destroy the ambiance (I loved that scene XD) by thinking it's just Angel trying to reach them, she accidentally pushes another switch and they manage to get out of their predicament. Rarara is getting a little fed up with all the tricks on the place but she keeps pushing on, all the while Fluttershy is beginning to lose it because of all the awful things that could be happening to her poor bunny...

... None of which are true, since the asshole is comfortably lying on a pillow while eating and drinking like a prince douche. (you know, any other pet would have me scratching my head and questioning why isn't it asking Twilight to help Fluttershy and Rarity, well, maybe Opal would be enjoying this time like the bunny too), in the mean time Twi finds out that most (if not all) of the contraptions on this palace were supervised by Celestia herself, apparently just for the heck of it (which I actually like, pranky princesses are cool in my book)! Not only that, but most of the mechanisms of the castle can also be controlled by a pipe organ located somewhere in the palace. Unsurprisingly (for us as viewers) the organ begins playing not much longer after Twi spells those words, also unsurprisingly (if you remember a certain scene from Spike At Your Service) Twi got so hooked up violating the princesses privacy that she didn't pay attention to the giant instrument that resonated through the entire palace, and reassure Spike that everything he hears is nothing to worry about since it's just the castle collapsing under the weight of time (while they are inside of it)...

Meanwhile things start looking bad for our heroines, both duos get separated because of whoever is playing the organ is activating most of the traps, Applejack almost gets thrown out of a second floor and is left dangerously standing next to a very big fall, Rainbow Dash gets alone in the hall full or armors that apparently swallowed her friend, Fluttershy doesn't only loses Angel but she also lost Rarity! Rarara screams because she accidentally broke what she was trying to restore... ... ... Oh, and Angel got an extra set of carrots (that somehow survived 1000 years, Harmony carrots?)

The last chapter is where all wrecks apart, the ponies are really freaked out and by some coincidence they end up crashing into each other, the result in a panic attack that would make the flower trio proud. Rainbow Dash keeps bouncing around like a fly, Fluttershy watches a shadow and thinks it's Angel but then AJ drops a pillar on top of it, Rarity is once again attacked by fabric (those things are out to get her this season! O_O) and Applejack just crashes around anything, including stomping over what Fluttershy thought was Angel's body in a sudden burst of black humor (I don't remember the last time I saw this in the show).

Of all this freak out, the only thing that manages to get Twily out of her trance is the sound of Fluttershy "screaming"! Still, she comes down and witness all the fracas, which she promptly stops.

1CsFHtM.gif

When I said I was going to read JoJo last week I wasn't kidding. But na'h, Twi didn't actually cast a time stop spell... Who'd even do that anyway? That's just silly.

After this everypony realize they've been unintentionally scaring each other off during the whole night, or so it'd seem because we still don't know who's playing the organ and activating all the traps. Well gang, it looks like we have a mystery in our hands! And so they go and face the Pony of Shadows or well, Twilight does, she gets close and removes the cloak of the shadow figure to find out it was... The Gardener! Pinkie Pie!  *I'm acting astonished!*

DS1lATS.png

Let's take a minute to think about how cute Pinkie looks while playing the organ in this shot. (Also, freeze framed Fluttershy is contemplating murder)

What follows next is probably one of the most ridiculous and hilarious scenes I've remember seeing in the show, Pinkie goes on a very quick exposition about how she ended up here including random change of poses for some seconds (something I remember seeing in SpongeBob) cutaway gags (as I've seen in Family Guy back when I found it funny), ominous organ turning into something silly the moment Pinkie is revealed and a very nice attempt of the animators and background musicians to try to synchronize with each other (shame it seems like the keys didn't go along with the notes used) and a random trap activating when the pink pony pressed the last key (shame Spike was in the wrong tile, he was doing so well as far as physical well being is concerned).

The last scene is with all reunited and Twi talks a little about how a friend can always help you whenever you let your imagination get the best out of you (which BTW, sounds very very similar to what she went through on Lesson Zero), she also comments how knowing about the why's and who's about everything that's going on in the castle pretty much eased any fear she could have about the place, and then she gets an idea! She decided all the gang could try to get their own journal going, to share experience and learn from each other and maybe some other ponies in the future could learn from it too!

Which is a very nice idea but the first entry was kind of stupid, I mean, I can picture a pony in the future unearthing the sacred artifact only known as "The Journal of Friendship Harmony" and reading him/herself to bask on the wisdom of the ancients the moment this mortal pony starts reading...

Only to find out the first entry says "Ah'm glad Granny's legend wasn't true lol 8U"

But anyway, all's right with the world and Spike makes a comment of how silly the idea of a Shadow Pony is despite almost geting killed by one last season! Still, we get a creepy shot of yet another shadow lurking behind the mane 6 and then the episode ends...

FGChi.png

Twilight didn't see much action on this episode, she didn't do much progress in the harmony box quest but at least she got to read Celly's darkest and most private secrets~ <3

Which I'm sure it's not going to get any use later.    . _.

It's also interesting to point that while she was the Agent Scully (and in part, she was right) during the entire episode when the gang spotted someone playing the organ her first reaction is a pretty incredulous face while whispering "the pony of shaaadooows"... Then it turns out it was Pinkie and proceeds rub everyone in the face about how right she was. XD

Also, I loved how excited she sounded at the idea of learning stuff.

Pinkie wasn't seen during most of the episode either but man, I really loved that scene with her at the end, I really can't point why but if I were to pick something (and I expect most of you to point how wrong I am here) is that her joke on this episode wasn't just a gag thrown randomly, but something that made sense in context (in that pink head of hers) and happened to have a plethora of fun coincidences. It wasn't just a joke that made me laugh, but also made me "smile".

Also, I find funny that this joke was made at a similar time as the IDW comics.

The others go on duos, Rainbow Dash and Applejack were the Daring Duo, though it didn't feel like they deserved that title in here (not that is bad being scared, but the other duo seems to have handled better than them). I don't think I can really post much about them tho, they were mostly recreating Fall Weather Friends, not that I mind a bit of friendly competition but they didn't seem to stand out too much...

... Unless you take Meghan's tweets seriously. :V

Having said that, as far as expressions go this 2 were cute and hilarious, Applejack gets the cake for this one.

And unsurprisingly coming from me, I really loved what the other pair of mares did, the girly duo! Starring Fluttershy and Rarity (feat. Angel)! And it's because unlike the previous duo (were both were acting in a similar way) we have 2 very distinct mindsets, objectives and personalities that make for some pretty cool dialogue and humor. I guess chemistry is the word I'm looking for... 

The interactions between these two (and Pinkie's plot exposition at the end) were pretty much what made this entire episode for me, Flutters begins with a very reluctant attitude towards the task Rarara practically dragged her to but her mindset switches to a full or worries yet determined (and one minded) mother once Angel "goes missing". And I got to give props to her because despite the fact that hellbunny was fine (and we've been shown that several times in the episode to contrast what Yellowquiet was saying) and how everything was played as comedy what Shy went through must have been her very own version of Silent Hill (just think about it for a while, and how it could have ended up if Twi haven't appeared to save the night back then).

Rarity on the other hand arrived with a very altruistic mission to restore the castle to its former glory, and the show kept repeating us this over and over just so the thought of her stealing never crossed our minds, it still did but hey! Daring Do does it all the time and no one bats an eyelid! (I guess the fact the owners of the tapestry's happen to be alive doesn't help tho) But boy was she determined to get this task done, of all the ponies who took part of the scary antics Rarara was the only one who wasn't scared until the very end, where she got into one of her episodes (BTW, I loved Tabitha's voice when RD asked what was Fluttershy doing here and she answered "She's with me!" as if she just paused her freakout for a few seconds before going on, the fact she was still covered with the cloth made it all the more silly).

gU6LpVo.png

Urge to turn into New!Fluttershy... RISING!

But yeah, this 2 played each other wonderfully, especially how it looked like both were being an annoyance to each other yet stuck together like the friends they are. o/ (especially Rarity who never gave a shit about Angel's well being, but then again, in the same vein the bunny gets a free pass for not going back for them, the fashion pony gets another one for not caring about the little douche XD)

Also, FASHUN!

A little mention goes to both Celly and Luna (the princess duo!) who designed these place to begin with, apparently both had some.... very weird sense of humor back when they lived here and fulled the place with traps just because it was FUN (thanks MA Larson!), I'd love to see this expanded upon but it doesn't seem like it's going to be addressed again... It also makes you wonder how this castle is chocked on traps but the new one in Canterlot isn't. Well, there could be some reasons for that... The first one could be because it seems no one else lived in this castle back then (which isn't true in Canterlot, home of the entire Aristocracy), the other could be because putting your sister in a 1000 years coma might mellow out some ponies.

I guess this also means I should mention the Pony of Shadows, believed to be a piece of Nightmare Moon's essence this thing is rumored (and might be true if the teaser of the end is to be believed) to haunt the castle. I gave some thought to the idea and then I started relating it with the fact that the entire place is relativelly in a good shape despite of the battle and 1000 years of history weighting on it, I guess it's safe to assume the Harmony Tree kept the place in check but I'd also like the think the Pony of Shadows is in fact not an evil spirit but a Guardian keeping the palace, which would also mean that it isn't Nightmare's essence looking over the Castle but part of Luna too still crawling to the memories of her happier days...

Or so I'd like to think, if it were like that you'd guess Luna would felt something or she would have wanted to check the castle by herself, but then again, maybe she doesn't remember much after receiving 2 rainbow concussions.

Man I hate not having an ounce of writing talent! D8<

ITkzi.png

A slice of life

b8JWena.png

It was in a pedestal, it has to be the important one!

If I'm going to keep the comparisons with the previous third episodes I guess I could add that like The Ticket Master this one was really, really tame, especially compared to the previous episode when we had a great Discord, some pretty epic scenes and the establishing of a season wide arc (but lets give some props, they've already done more with it than with Star Swirls spellbook :U). On the other hand, it contains some great character interaction!

Like Too Many Pinkie Pies it requires you to put some sectors of your brain to sleep because you'll wreck your head trying to think about how the books and other things survived the passing of time, it will also make you wonder how the hell didn't the ponies knew there weren't alone in the castle with all the screaming going on. At the same time, like the season 3 episode and Lesson Zero it contains some oh so very awesome comedy segments!

Probably the only negative point of this episode that doesn't have something good to balance it out is that it's such a big tease, but not in the good sense of the word. We get a ghost living in the castle that is probably nothing more than a Scooby Doo gag (you know, the "there was actually a real ghost the entire time!"), we get 2 mentions of the star spiders yet they do nothing about them, the idea of having a building instead of a character opposing the mane 6 made me think of Sombrero and how I'd like to see someone doing something like that. But beyond all of this is the diary! Here we have before us Celestia and Luna's private diary, dealing all the events that happened before NNM within a very personal perspective! Secrets, character, stories, a great deal of stuff we could find out about the princess is put right in front of us, yet we are never going to touch it. :x

There are some hopes that the pony of shadows and the spiders will be used at some point, but the diary? That's going to be reserved as a replacement flashback potion at best.

Still, all in all it was a pretty fun episode and I'd say it's a good start for our new writer, in fact, I feel I already like him for some reason...

486402__safe_rarity_twitter_josh+haber.p

QqPytIh.gif

I like the new writer too. Not to mention, Rarity does seem like a very fun character to write.

• Thumbs Up 2

Haven't been here in a while haha, I'd just like to say I really enjoyed the premiere. It of course needed more Luna, but having some backstory on the Nightmare Moon stuff was nice. Probably my favorite season opener to date, up there with season 2's.

Castle Mane-ia was fun, pretty much what I would have expected given the premise. Pinkie Pie I find works best in smaller doses, as she tends to become more of an annoyance than anything after prolonged exposure. She was handled well in this most recent episode.

*Meghan used Earthquake*

Is this trolling on Meghan's part? There are so many things that could go wrong...lol

For one, I think the show is ruined.

So from now on I'll just stick with the IDW comics and its glorious RariJack master ship.

• Thumbs Up 2

For fun, I'm going to catalog and briefly analyze my top ten favorite episodes of the show thus far. These won't necessarily be what I deem to be the objectively best episodes in terms of quality, and probably will suffer from my own biases and personal preferences. I'm interested in other members' episode rankings as well, assuming others want to join in! 

Spoiler tags will be used, as I have a lot to say about each episode. In any case, without further ado...

10. Look Before You Sleep

Rarity's and Applejack's friendship is one of my favorite relationships in the show, and this episode does a great job at fleshing out that relationship. It has some

amazing character development, and it's even more impressive considering how early in the show's run (season 1, episode 8) it aired. Prior to this episode, we only really saw Rarity and Applejack interact as part of a larger group, so it's quite conceivable that the two weren't particularly close until this point, and that they believably didn't like each other all that much.

By forcing the two to embrace each other's differences in a tight spot, the show begins forging what may be the most well-written friendship in the series (which gets some great moments later, such as Best Night Ever and Sisterhooves Social). Their bickering throughout the episode, while amusing, also creates an incredibly satisfying payoff when the two do make amends and are friends.

Twilight, while she played more of a supporting role here, was also fantastic in this one. Her naivety and enthusiasm for spending time with her new friends was great.

9. The Cutie Mark Chronicles

Speaking of character development, what better way to delve deeper into the cast than by exploring their backstories? In this episode, we get to see the childhood of each member of the main six, each flashback skillfully woven together by a common thread. The insight we get into each pony is short but sweet, and reveals a great deal about their motivations and personal goals.

The framing story of the Cutie Mark Crusaders looking to the grown-ups' pasts for inspiration was handled well too, and the kids manage to be endearing without overstaying their welcome. This was the first CMC episode that I truly enjoyed, and may have been the point where I began to view these characters in a more positive light. I'm glad I did, because despite my initial reservations about the Crusaders in season one, they've really endeared themselves to me over the show's run!

8. Best Night Ever

The Grand Galloping Gala was built up throughout season one - first with The Ticket Master and then again in Suited for Success. It was an event that loomed overhead throughout the season, one that the ponies and viewers alike anticipated. And I think everyones' hopes being dashed was a move of pure brilliance.

I think my favorite part (surprise, surprise) was Rarity's horrible date with Blueblood. Seeing Rarity grow impatient with the prince's more superficial qualities is a fun callback to some of the complaints Applejack directed at her earlier in the season. This all culminates in one of my favorite bits from the season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRTMcbz4Co8

Perfect.

Speaking of Applejack, though, I really enjoyed her brief shared scene with Rarity at her food stand. Offering Rarity a free snack seemed like a small gesture, but to me it was a reminder of how far the two of them have come since Look Before You Sleep, reinforcing how much closer their friendship is now.

It may not have been the grand adventure we've come to expect from season-enders, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

7. A Dog and Pony Show

"Just because somepony is lady-like doesn't make her weak. In fact, by using her wits, a seemingly defenseless pony can be the one who outsmarts and outshines them all." 

Do I need to add anything else to that? This episode marks yet another reason why Rarity is my favorite character, and that is her quick-thinking under pressure.

It's easy to write a character like Rarity off as a defenseless damsel in distress (which, indeed, is exactly what her friends imagine about her in this episode), but Rarity flawlessly turns that expectation on its head, using her brain to turn the tables on her would-be kidnappers and getting carts full of rare gems to boot. Far from helpless, Rarity shows just how resourceful she can be in a difficult situation.

6. Green Isn't Your Color

I usually can't stand "jealous friend" plotlines, especially in children's animation, as these storylines are usually hamfisted and utterly forced. It's one of my least favorite tropes in writing, yet somehow translated into one of my favorite MLP episodes.

I think this is because the characters do not behave in the traditional, trite, stereotypically "jealous" manner that most media depicts. Rather than becoming snarky or mean-spirited toward Fluttershy, thereby straining their friendship, Rarity goes to great lengths to hide her jealousy and be supportive of Fluttershy's career anyway. This is very realistic and very human, as we often feel envy for other people but still love those people and want the best for them.

The moment when Rarity stands up for Fluttershy by applauding her in order to save her from the humiliation of a disapproving crowd is her crowning moment of the episode. Despite how jealous she is, despite how much she wants to be in the spotlight, despite any resentment she might be feeling, Rarity stands up for her friend and sticks her neck out for her because that's what a good friend does.

The episode feels very genuine, and the friendship between Fluttershy and Rarity feels very relatable.

5. A Friend in Deed

Not too much to say about this one. Pinkie Pie is as charmingly optimistic as ever, and Cranky Doodle Donkey is a very likable foil to her boundless enthusiasm. Between the song (which describes Pinkie's life philosophy) and her adorable friendship with Cranky, I think this is easily Pinkie Pie's best episode.

4. Magic Duel

I didn't like Boast Busters all that much. I thought Trixie's status as an antagonist was a bit forced, and the introduction honestly came across as Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity pointlessly heckling a stage magician and getting (probably) deserved comebacks for interrupting her show. The closest thing it had to an antagonist wasn't Trixie, but Snips and Snails, who endangered Ponyville by bringing an Ursa Minor to town. Trixie herself was haughty to be sure, but hardly harmful, and certainly didn't deserve to be completely vilified in the manner she was.

Magic Duel rectifies many of the problems with Boast Busters. While Trixie is an unabashed villain here, it's only because the Alicorn Amulet is exaggerating her very real ambitions for fame and adoration into a corrupted desire for power. Her personality is more or less intact, and it's my belief that the Amulet - rather than outright controlling her - merely amplified the negative parts of Trixie's personality that were already there (thus, the same amulet would likely have different effects on another pony). I appreciated that both Twilight and Snips reminded the audience that Trixie was "just a fraud," and not an outright evildoer in her earlier appearance.

With that said, Trixie does make a fantastic villain. The statues, the tapestries, the egotism... it reminds me of a certain self-loving mad scientist, and that's definitely a compliment coming from me. Trixie hams it up for the entire episode, and was one of the great highlights of the entire third season.

I enjoyed seeing her apologize and make amends with Twilight as well. It's nice to see that Trixie did learn something after all, and I hope we see her again in the future!

3. Sisterhooves Social

So much to talk about here! First, we get some more subtle insight into Rarity's psyche just by getting a look at her family. Rarity's parents, along with her sister Sweetie Belle, don't share her posh mannerisms or affinity for refinement and class. This suggests that Rarity's behavior, dress, and even accent are affected and self-taught in order to distinguish her from her "backwater country town" home of Ponyville.

Of course, the real meat of this episode is in Rarity's relationship with Sweetie Belle, which is handled more realistically than most "sibling rivalry" episodes. A major part of this dynamic is that Rarity is an adult, and a businesswoman at that, who lives on her own and has her own schedule, priorities, and agenda. Taking care of a child - even a child in her own family - is a serious drain on her time and resources. From Sweetie Belle's perspective, of course, Rarity is standoffish and uncaring. This is doubly hurtful when one remembers how much Sweetie Belle looks up to and idolizes Rarity (Cutie Mark Chronicles), which may lead to her angry reaction later in the episode.

As an aside, I really enjoyed seeing Rarity seek out Applejack for advice. Who would have expected Rarity to ask Applejack for help with something so personal a season ago? The development these two have had since Look Before You Sleep has been great, and moments like these are wonderful reminders of that development.

In any case, what does Rarity do? She dives headfirst into mud and dirt - which she has a debilitating discomfort of, mind you - in order to make her little sister happy. Rarity's element of generosity shines through here, as she's giving up a lot in both time and personal comfort for the sake of family. The sisters' reconciliation at the end is touching, and I'm glad to see the two continue to spend time together in later episodes (Sleepless in Ponyville).

Also, the delivery of this line makes it the best in the episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_pPXHsMThQ

2. Suited for Success

Honestly, I could write an entire essay about why this episode is great, but I've talked about it so many times that I'm just going to make a short list:
  • Best display of Rarity's generosity
  • Fantastic analogy for the creative process in general, especially when working with/for other people
  • "Art of the Dress"
  • Really highlighting that Rarity is a creative artist and entrepreneur, rather than a mere consumer of fashion

I could gush for hours about this one, but I think I'm going to cut it short in the interest of time.

1. Sweet and Elite

It is important to say that Rarity is a flawed character, and that's one of the things I love about her. This episode handles one of her flaws in a very sympathetic, very human way. But we'll get into that in a minute.

First, I like that Rarity shows genuine appreciation for Celestia and Twilight for the castle suite she's staying in. Rarity is very generous herself, but also really grateful when others are generous to her. I think that's an endearing trait, and one that this episode portrays very clearly.

I think that in this episode in particular, Rarity's faults are presented in a subtle, nauanced way that don't make her come off as a mean or uncaring person. She truly does get too wrapped up in social climbing and keeping up appearances, but this episode never gives get the impression for one instant she's totally forgotten about her friends. Quite the contrary, Rarity spends much of the episode conflicted with herself, torn between her loyalty to her Ponyville friends and her new connections in Canterlot. For someone who has always wanted to rub elbows with the Canterlot elite, this dilemma is more than understandable.

Twilight and company coming to Canterlot to see Rarity was a nice touch. It highlights how important the members of the main cast are to each other, and I love how close they've all become over the series. The scenes with Rarity balancing between both parties is quite humorous, as is the unceremonious invasion of the fancy garden party thereafter.

Finally, the ending was sweet. Rarity sticking up for her friends despite how "unsophisticated" they were in the eyes of the Canterlot ponies reminds me a bit of the applause scene from Green Isn't Your Color. Rarity ultimately will support her friends, no matter what's on the line. She may love glamour and society, but at heart, she'll always love her friends even more. And that is the very essence of who Rarity is - Her generosity matters more because of how much she truly wants for herself, but is willing to give up anyway for others' sake.

Also, "Becoming Popular" is fantastic. It rivals "Art of the Dress" for me, and Kazumi Evans is great as always.

Aaaand that's my current top ten. It's subject to change, of course, especially with a new season afoot! 
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even though I don't have a list of my own, I can state my opinions on the season openings.

Season 1- This is more of a prototype of what the series would later become, and it kinda shows. I still feel that the writing is miles better than what it COULD have been, but it's a bit of an okay pilot than anything.

Season 2- Probably the best one. This opening was full of character interaction, and introduces the greatest god of chaos: Discord! Discord is an awesome villain, and I'm glad that he appears more often now.

Season 3- Eh... Honestly, I don't feel that this opening is as bad as some make it out to be, but I still agree that it is a weak opening and the worst opening the series has had. King Sombra was a boring and uninteresting villain, Shining Armor was stupidly weakened again, and the Dark Magic needs more of a lasting power. So, this was a weak opening.

Season 4- This opening impressed me when I saw it, and after thinking about it, I still really do like it. Like Season 2's opening, there was some good character moments, and again, Discord! I do love that we got to see events that happened in the past, such as Luna becoming Nightmare Moon, and the take down of Discord. The mysterious box at the end is a nice plot device, and I can't wait to see what's inside. The Tree of Harmony does seem like an ass-pool, but hey, at least the Deux Ex, I mean Chaos Emeralds, I mean Plot Mcguffins, I mean Elements of Harmony are gone, and I want to see how the series goes from here. 

Derailing that line of discussion for a new episode title.

Season 4 Episode 8

Title: Rarity Takes Manehattan

Synopsis: None yet

Air Date: January 4th

That title is almost a synopsis in itself.

It'll be good to see Manehattan again, actually. I wonder if we'll see the Oranges? It'd be cool if this was a "Rarity and Applejack" episode, actually.

Derailing that line of discussion for a new episode title.

Season 4 Episode 8

Title: Rarity Takes Manehattan

Synopsis: None yet

Air Date: January 4th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q93TnzVZw4k

Finally, after about two years, a new Rarity episode! The title alone is very promising; Perhaps she's going there on business? I do like it when Rarity's entrepreneurial side gets some focus.