Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

Spoiler tagged due to comic images.

After reading the latest issue, I think I've noticed an amusing trend following from the animated series.

Note Flam and Fancypants from the show:

tHhD7jJ.gif

jReAjwj.png

And now, new character Captain Hoofbeard:

at5I0U8.png

4Utj4ag.png

I think Rarity might be into guys with mustaches.

• Thumbs Up 1

After reading the latest issue, I think I've noticed an amusing trend following from the animated series.

tHhD7jJ.gif

jReAjwj.png

at5I0U8.png

4Utj4ag.png

Wealthy sales man, highest of the canterlot elite,

pirates with tons of booty...

Now I ain't sayin' she's a gold digger...

dem staches tho.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really wish I could buy the comics without my parents questioning me or mocking me for it. I love Friendship is Magic, and really want to read the comics, but since I don't want my family pestering me about it, hell, I don't bring it up 99% of the time, I'll see if I can get them for Christmas. 

tHhD7jJ.gif

jReAjwj.png

at5I0U8.png

4Utj4ag.png

Pffft, Batguy beat me to the comment but yeah, now we know why Spike is obsessed with facial hair (he kept doing the same in EqG)! O_O

EDIT: Having said that, she also had a phase when she wanted to be with Blueblood... So maybe Scootaloo isn't so far off.

EDIT2:

Tho probably the reason she's gushing for Hoofbeard is more related at how he seems like a character who came out of a romance novel, not a prince in shinning armor (

huehuehue) but the raw, savage but equally passionate and loving individual who wants to charm the fair mare.

Or so she wants to believe, Hoofbeard doesn't seem to want any of it, and if his ex crew is to be believed he's also actually a few apples short of a bushel. >.>

• Thumbs Up 1

I really wish I could buy the comics without my parents questioning me or mocking me for it. I love Friendship is Magic, and really want to read the comics, but since I don't want my family pestering me about it, hell, I don't bring it up 99% of the time, I'll see if I can get them for Christmas. 

You can always buy them on Comixology and read them online, if you don't want any hard copies of the books.

The ongoing series and micro series are both quite good, and I think most fans of the show will probably enjoy them.

Castle-Mania was leaked on Itunes.

Episode 5 Expanded Synopsis. 

“Flight to the Finish” — Rainbow Dash is over the moon to be coaching the young ponies in Scootaloo’s class for their competition to carry the flag at the upcoming Equestria Games. Just as the Cutie Mark Crusaders find their rhythm, Diamond Tiaras taunting becomes too much to handle and Scootaloo begins to doubt herself and her team, on “My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic,”

• Thumbs Up 1

You can always buy them on Comixology and read them online, if you don't want any hard copies of the books.

The ongoing series and micro series are both quite good, and I think most fans of the show will probably enjoy them.

That's what I meant. Since I'm allowed to use my mother's credit card for reasonable things, I don't think she would like the idea of being MLP comics. 

Oh, and...

That episode was alright. I kinda called what was going to happen, but it was still good fun.

:)

I wasted no time and finished watching it.

The episode isn't "Castle-Mania," but "Castle Mane-ia."

What I liked:

1. Fantastic animation. The lighting and shadowing were great, giving the characters depth and atmosphere mood.
  2. Excellent AppleDash chemistry. Not shipping, but their friendship and friendly rivalry played off each other. Chemistry at its finest.
  3. AJ, your story's actually SCARY. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  4. Good use of continuity. No true results, but at least the box wasn't left hanging unlike the rushed, lamebrain Twilicorn concept from last season. Hopefully, they don't drop the ball on it unlike last season.
  5. Adorkable Twilight, but reigned in with more confidence, intelligence, and maturity. (Still, great for humor, bad for proving her worth as an alicorn princess. More development of her is needed to get passed this stage. She can't be like this forever.)
  6. Twilight can fly well, hopefully ending the lazy retcon.
  7. Stunt > Consequences > Resolution. Rarity got in over her head via her greed, scared the shit outta herself, and tore a piece of the precious royal tapestry.
  8. It was just one hilarious Scooby-Doo parody. The ponies being so scared and running around like that gave me plenty of laughter.
  9. Unlike Princess Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie wasn't a random dumbbell. She had purpose and a bit more intelligence to go with her randomness.
  10. Nicely done callback from Lesson Zero. happy.png
  11. Equal screentime for all of the characters, minus Pinkie. Angel's still a lovable dick. laugh.png
  12. The pacing is factually better in here. One of the premiere's biggest problems (and why PTS isn't so objectively good) is the pacing, forcing McCarthy to rush her plot development and insert contrived logic and plot devices. Here, there is a small DEM, but unlike Too Many Pinkie Pies, it fit the scope of the old castle and didn't really impact the plot so much.
  13. Good cliffhanger. Now I wonder how it'll impact Season 4…if it will.

What I don't like (currently):

1. Lay off the Spikabuse, pleeeeeeeeaaaase!
  2. VERY predictable outcome. With Pinkie absent this whole time, it was obvious she was the master of the pipe organ. If the pony playing it was someone else (like Celestia, Luna, or a true ghost), then that'd be a good twist.
  3. Fluttershy was caring for Angel, but still behaved like a rather gigantic scaredy-cat. (This case, though, it's somewhat justified given the circumstances.)
  4. Twilight showing VERY SLOW development as an alicorn princess. She was funny, but keeps proving how pointless her ascension is so far. I already linked what kind of development Twilight should ger to prove her worth.

Altogether, I currently really like it, and it's so far a MUCH better episode than PTS. A good debut episode for Josh Haber. ^__^

• Thumbs Up 1

Watched the leaked episode. I might give my thought this weekend instead of right now... But I will say I really liked it.

I wasted no time and finished watching it.

1. Lay off the Spikabuse, pleeeeeeeeaaaase!

Spike's been abused so much, always assumed people would be used to it by now. tongue.png

Getting off the topic of the episode for a bit, it looks like Ren and Stimpy's creator, John K. drew a pony pic.

1.jpg

I'm admittedly a little surprised... doesn't have John K. have a tendency to be rather picky when it comes to more recent cartoons? Of course then again, he could have drawn this as a request or something. I have heard from a friend he can be generous to his fans.

Either way it's pretty cool.

• Thumbs Up 3

That was my big issue. I already called that Pinkie would be the one behind this entire thing. Hell, that portrait had her eye color on it. I took a wild guess, and I got it right. I do want that cliffhanger to be shown later in Season 4 if they can get back to it. I do love the character interactions. Rainbow and Applejack go at it again, and when they had bees on them, I actually thought that the bees were actually on them. It was awesome to see more Rarity and Fluttershy together, and I love how Rairty's getting more screen time, whereas she didn't get a lot in Season 3. Other than the anticlimactic and predictable ending, I still like this episode. So far, Season 4 has been pretty awesome so far. Can't wait for the next episode.

smile.png

EDIT: Added something.

Fantastic character interaction. This is some of the best Applejack vs. Rainbow Dash friendly rivalry since Fall Weather Friends, and arguably is even better since the two spend a lot more time together.

But the real stars of this episode were Rarity and Fluttershy, who simply stole the show with their scenes. I absolutely loved how well the two played off of one another, and I've always liked their friendship, particularly after highlight episodes like Green Isn't Your Color. Fluttershy is scared here, but considering everyone else is too, it feels a lot less like they're exaggerating her cowardice in this situation. I also liked that Rarity's motives were largely artistic; She wants the tapestries not just for their beauty, but so that she as an artist can restore them to their former glory. Rarity is a cultured art connoisseur, and it was great to see that get some focus here.

Regarding complaints about Spike - I didn't think Spike was really that abused in this episode, honestly? Pretty much everyone except Twilight and Pinkie suffered slapstick pratfalls throughout the episode, so I didn't see Spike's treatment as glaringly worse than anyone else's here.

Anyway, I thought this episode was fantastic, and it definitely has me looking forward to more of what this season has to offer.

• Thumbs Up 7

Getting off the topic of the episode for a bit, it looks like Ren and Stimpy's creator, John K. drew a pony pic.

*pic*

I'm admittedly a little surprised... doesn't have John K. have a tendency to be rather picky when it comes to more recent cartoons? Of course then again, he could have drawn this as a request or something. I have heard from a friend he can be generous to his fans.

Either way it's pretty cool.

John K. is picky, but not without good reason. He's so knowledgeable of high-quality animation and isn't a fan of it when it's cut through corners. As an animator himself, he desires the freedom and will to draw freely, yet keep the quality high. I'm not a fan of his work, but I can't deny the craftsmanship, repsect, and care he has for the world of animation, which can be rather corporate.

FIM's biggest strength over the past several years by far is the high quality of animation. John K. drew the Ren-and-Stimpified Pinkie for Amy Mebberson, one of the IDW comic aritsts. But the fact he did it demonstrates the tremendous respect he has for FIM's high animation quality.

FIM's biggest strength over the past several years by far is the high quality of animation.

Do you mean that it's the most consistent, or do you mean overall? If this is overall, while the animation is amazing, the characters is what brings me to this show... even if some episodes like Boast Busters and Mare-Do-Well disregard that, but that's not the point. If you're talking about consistency, then yes, the animation is the strongest aspect. On a deeper level, the characters are.

I enjoyed that episode! I'm glad we're back to the slice of life stuff. Not that I outright dislike the two parters, but still. The twist was expected, but it made sense--about as much sense as anything involving Pinkie Pie can make, anyway.

Twilight's "Stop" spell was cool, by the way. For a second there, I almost expected a "stop time" spell, but that wouldn't have made as much sense. :P

I wonder though, will the actual Pony of Shadows show up again in the future? Hmmm.

Apparently, next week's episode is written by Dave Polsky?...Can't wait for the controversy!

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh, I actually really enjoyed that episode. The 2 parter didn't really do it for me, but this one has changed my mind about S4. Loved the interactions between the characters, especially with Fluttershy and Rarity.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rarity was the best in that episode by far. And saying as I don't consider her a fave of mind at all, that says a lot about how she was characterised here.

• Thumbs Up 4

This has to be one of the funniest episodes of the series so far! The person who wrote this episode should do more!

* Some of the lines are just hilarious, especially Rarity's!
* The facial expressions in this episode are some of the best in the series so far.
* The way the characters interacted with each other was very well done and they did a did great pulling off the multiple subplots here.
* I was laughing so hard when Fluttershy thought Angel was crushed. Now that's how you pull off dark humor!
* It was obvious that Pinkie was going to be the one playing the organ, but still, Princess Celestia appears have competition in the trolling department.
* Seeing that Twilight is no longer Celestia's student anymore, they decide to go the route of the Mane 6 keeping a diary. That's just genius!
* I really hope they have a continuity with that mysterious figure in the final scene.

By the way, they made a nod to Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. Little things like this is why I love this show.

• Thumbs Up 1

So guys since it's almost Christmastime I was thinking about a Winter Wrap Up Collab like we did with the Halloween collab.

Sounds like a plan?

So guys since it's almost Christmastime I was thinking about a Winter Wrap Up Collab like we did with the Halloween collab.

Sounds like a plan?

I refuse to work with anyone under the name of this meme

But for serious though, Winter Wrap Up is more of a beginning of spring than a christmas thing. A christmas collab would be something like the heart carol maybe and that's really short...

I refuse to work with anyone under the name of this meme

But for serious though, Winter Wrap Up is more of a beginning of spring than a christmas thing. A christmas collab would be something like the heart carol maybe and that's really short...

I see what you mean though. But we could do that one, it's short but catchy

It's time for...

leeks-picked.jpg

Nutritious Devices!

I guess it wouldn't be pony if we didn't know the entire episode by Thursday.

Being the kind of... Thing that avoids spoilers during the week is quite an adventure. Of course, I'm bound to stumble upon some (I should make an habit of not looking at the first 2 pages of Derpi whenever some of this happens) but all in all I guess I'm safe.

But anyway! This episode marks the debut of Josh Harber as a FiM writer, and seems to be as bizarre as a slice of life one can get, basically by a series of coincidences and happenings all of the mane 6 end up in the old castle on the Everfree (lots of focus on that place) where spooky antics are supposed to happen.

Now, ever since the synopsis I've been wondering if this will be a Scooby Doo episode with ponies, which actually worries me a little since I don't remember ever enjoying that series (yeah I'm weird, and I'm pretty sure I offended 3 or 4 Cartoon deities by spilling this) though I can't exactly remember when I became so disenchanted with that franchise (I was actually a kid when I started to find it boring so maybe it's because I entered my Dragon Ball Z phase? I should probably give that dog a chance again)... But anyway! Ponies! Will this episode include a homage to that franchise with those crazy doors and groovy music? Or will it try to do it's own thing? I know I'm probably not getting this but I'd like to see them try something more akin to a Courage the Cowardly Dog if we are actually going to try to be spooky.

Admittedly, I'm not that excited about this one, but let's see how it goes.

4f6Mi.png

So, what I forgot to address about the previous episode?

It was actually 2 things but it just happen I forgot one of them as I was writing this :x (I should leave notes somewhere whenever Ic ome up with these instead of writing them on the fly). But yeah, only one I guess...

Something I found odd about my last long post is how little I wrote about Discord considering I planned to make at least 2 more paragraphs about him, and it's because I forgot to address an important detail that the previous episode didn't show up. And this is about his relationship with Fluttershy.

During the entire 2 parter our favorite Draconeequs pretty much did whatever he wanted until told otherwise (mostly by Flutters, oddly he also acknowledged Twi's authority when she came back from the forest) he relished in the chaos he (unintentionally) caused. And was pretty much back to his self we all know and love... But does that sound like the thing a friend would do (actually, it does, but the scale of Discord's actions are a little above what most of us will do)?

I mean, Discord was clearly enjoying the other's suffering so it makes you wonder how reformed he is, but there is also this issue that he doesn't even seem to care enough about his friend to remember her name or how she looks like (though, I wouldn't put it past him to do this on purpose to mess with the rest of the mane 6), yet still he cared enough to not go on a rampage the moment the elements disappeared, on the other hoof hand, Fluttershy's relationship with Discord seems to be little more than a chain to him and that doesn't strikes me as very friendly either.

Still, I'm not saying Discord (and Fluttershy) shouldn't do these sort of things (as a matter of fact, I loved the way he acted here), but what I'm saying is that he should also have some friendship moments to balance all of his chaos, things like this little piece of fanart would be really appreciated since it would show us that even if he seems to be restrained from time to time he's also enjoying his time as a reformed being of near omnipotence.

That, or I'm becoming a tea addict, your choice! o/

And see ya in a few hours!