Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

Calling her Rainbow Dash? Far out. Anyway let us hope that there will be a Canterlot Gardens unless it vanishes with some other big cons.

commission__canterlot_gardens_poster_by_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWcxeBCOst4

So she won her hat by bobbing for apples? That's pretty lame and anticlimactic...

Edited by AdventChild

I, for one, am glad. I know why people like to give AJ's hat a "backstory", but I don't see why it can't just be, you know, a hat that she likes to wear.

• Thumbs Up 9

So she won her hat by bobbing for apples? That's pretty lame and anticlimactic...

To be fair, I'm not too sure how canon these hot topic videos are or not. 

But if it is considered canon, then I'm perfectly fine with the fact that she doesn't wear the hat for angsty reasons... Seriously, can't anyone have a favorite hat or whatever these days without having some tragic backstory as to why they wear it all the time? It's starting to become very cliche IMO. 

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac
  • Thumbs Up 3

That's nice, I guess? Honestly, I thought she just bought it or Granny Smith made it for her or something. Never really put much thought into how she got her hat.

About darn time Applejack got a Hot Minute video.  Glad to know where she got her hat, too, even if it isn't the most interesting story in the world.

trixie_and_pokey_by_dizzypacce-d3a9ha6.p

This makes me wonder if Pokey Pierce and Trixie is family. Or just friends.

The Truth About "Pokey" Pierce.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/12800/the-truth-about-pokey-pierce

Meghan McCarthy @MMeghanMcCarthy 28. sep

@dannyimusic: Personal record for longest song broken. Now at 5 minutes, and it’s pure mayhem.” Magical musical mayhem :-)

Edited by Applejack1973

• 2 weeks later...

Well lads and lasses, it's been 3 years today since this whole mess of a phenomenom happened, which no one could've expected to reach such massive proportions.

I've only been a part of these crazy shenanigans for the past 6 months, but I managed to soak up a few years worth of fanmade material and history, and I have to say that it's been a hell of a fun ride.

Here's to Lauren Faust and the creative minds behind Friendship is Magic for making this all possible! I hope Season 4 brings us more enjoyment!

• Thumbs Up 3

Man I wish I had something for the anniversary, but I've been having plenty internet problems and I've basically spend my free time marathoning the Pokemon franchise for no other reason than the fact I can't do much else right now.

Oh well, while I keep working on this first-world-problems-filled-life I've been having I wanted to ask you guys some things. Because hindsight is fun.

First of all, do you guys remember when Tara was hyping Season 3? She released a spoiler that shook the pony world,,,

Capture.JPG

So... Did we ever found out where did that line came from? :V

The other thing I wanted to point out, there was this convention called EQLA where Tabitha St. Germain assisted, and the guys at Ponyville live had a short interview with her...

OH BTW, DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SPOILER'D YOURSELF WITH THOSE COMICON ANIMATICS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csaIK9vbhuA

Seems like the standard interview with the show staff but check the last moments:

Silver Ego: And we're all excited for what lies ahead, for My Little Pony

Tabitha. Oh you will be.

And then Tabitha begins to laugh...

Laugh evilly...

Laugh like...

OhCrap.png

NIGHTMARE MOON!

Thus, Tabitha gained best pony status... Again.

[/coincidencesandwhatnot]

Edited by gato

PWaaMLPfim

2 days ago

Just rendered the finale and will be going off to editors and proof readers tomorrow. Clocks in at a whooping 2:34:00! Hope you don't mind the length, but this is why I had to split part 4 up, otherwise it would have been almost 4 hours long. Hold tight! We're almost there!

Not too long to go until the finale of turnabout storm. At that length and given what happened in part 4, I think the wait will have been worth it:

• Thumbs Up 7

The_Crystal_Empire_EG.png

Season 4 episode 5.

1. To Be Announcednote An animatic clip for this episode is the first of four segments included in an animatic compilation shown at San Diego Comic-Con 2013. It involves the Equestria Games, Scootaloo, the CMC, and Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I got bitten by the Pokemon bug...

Why did I have to go grass?

xGanj.png

"That Cabin on the Everfree Forest" edition.

A Heart of Change:

In what might be one of the few moments when I post something that has not been EqD'd.

First of all, this was linked to me via Sweetie Chronicle's but it's not a self contained story, it's actually the sequel to another one called Scion of Chaos, which also had a bit of an interlude called An Emerald Treasure.

The three stories are set in a... Quite unique world as far as I've read (which actually isn't that much if you take into account both my recent inactivity and the large quantities of fanfiction this fandom spawns and that I don't notice thanks to the EqD filter), it narrates how Sweetie learned to use magic but it's not the same kind of magic you see most unicorns use, it's a very very special kind of power, and this stories deals with how she discovered them, learned to control them and live with them. (first 2 stories are in a similar time as the show, while A Heart of Change happens after a time-skip)

This power is known as Chaos Magic! And yes! It means Sweetie is the new Discord... Sort of... At the beginning of the story Sweetie starts hearing "a voice" that presents itself as "Scoddri" that helps her to learn magic (you have 3 guesses to know who I am talking about). After an accident Twilight offers to help her but then Sweetie accidentally starts siphoning the purple A

liUnicorn's magic and so she panics and runs away.

This is where things start to go a little... Off... Admittedly since I come from the TSC readerbase I entered this story expecting alternate universes and the like, and I'm glad that I did it because TBH this Sweetie was quite different than what we are used to see, a bit too snappy and a little too sarcasm-friendly from time to time, you'd think a time with Scoddri might have been enough to shape the filly like that (and I'd agree) but she's been behaving like this from the very beginning of the story. But beyond the snappy side what struck me the most was how stubborn she acted, like the way she decided that running away from town was the only possible choice (and I mean the only one, because she gets presented more choices along the way but she thinks her first thought, the one she had on a panic, is still the best course of action and will defend it to the point of physically hurting others).

Along the way we learn all the quirks of chaos magic, apparently being a more raw power than the regular one, and being able to modify things to their very essence, by all means reality warping powers, interestingly, in a pretty smart way of keeping the power scale inside a pony friendly territory, Silent had the idea of making Sweetie somewhat magically crippled, she has the knowledge and means to pull off incredible stunts but she doesn't has the power to do it (doing something akin to a big water attack almost kills her). This also follows our heroine on the sequel and I'm guessing learning how to overcome that weakness will be one of the major points on the story.

Other issue I had with this stories (and I guess the same could be said about the other ones) is that Silent uses italics to represent everything going inside a pony's head, that isn't really the problem (it's pretty much a standard practice) but since we have more than one pony talking inside Sweetie's skull things can get a little messy, at times it was a bit annoying to determine if the one talking to me through the italics was Scoddri or Sweetie, at times I was wondering if this is intentional, as if the author wanted to express the mess going on inside the filly's head...

But anyways, as the story goes we get to see a side of Discord that is... Surprisingly canon friendly (as in, mischievous and insanely powerful being who was actually pretty lonely all along) but that's not the only reason it stands out, it manages to present us this shade of him and make it somewhat believable, something that I'm not sure if it would be easy to do in any other circumstances (since the only thing he could do in here was to talk, he did, resulting in many great shared experiences with Sweetie), the bond that was being formed between these 2 characters was something pretty cool to read about.  

And if we are talking about characters, Twi is also a very interesting one to read here since this story manages to put her in an antagonist role despite the fact that she did nothing wrong. She was well intentioned, but misguided (and not in a way that you could convince her with just words since she had years of history and thousands of ponies backing up her claims), and that's something I loved to read.

But yeah, it was a pretty good read, I also liked Emerald Treasure but it feels like something that should have been an episode inside Scion of Chaos (right before the epilogue) instead of a little side story of it's own.

But yeah, that's more or less all what covers the "prequels", a bit of a time-skip later and we have some pretty interesting versions of the crusaders on the current timeline, A Scoots who keeps chasing after Dash but then it ends up learning that it might be time to be her own pony, and a Sweetie that took a lot of Scoddri's teachings... Applebloom stands more or less in a familiar territory but the fact she has to keep an eye on the other two makes for some good reading.

... Actually, both Sweetie and Scoots looks like villains in the making, Scootaloo gets a lot thrown at her as the story goes so that's understandable, but Sweetie is maybe going a bit too Scoddri, she is curious, impulsive and more often than not doesn't really think on the consequences of her acts and she hates being held down. 

She seems like she's heading on a mad scientist wizard road (you know, the guys who don't care about morals and do stuff FOR SCIENCE MAGIC!). Mmmaybe I'm overthinking things a little but then again, Discord seems to have started as a simple magician who wanted to be the very best, like no one ever was. (which BTW, makes me think the author likes the Discord was Star Swirl fanon, and I feel pretty confident I'm right on this one since twists don't seem to be Silent's forte)

Of course, I'm not saying this as a negative point, I'm actually quite curious to see how far this mares can go. biggrin.png

Anyway! This section of the story starts as (like I previously mentioned) Scootaloo failing to meet her idol's expectations (or that's how it goes on her head at least), so Sweetie decides that it would be cool for all of the crusaders to take a trip, to the Crystal Empire! (and check what the mane 6 were doing since they were on a visit there too).

Saddly, those plans crash rather fast, it seems pretty evident that something went wrong on the empire, most of the rails that go towards Cadence's kingdom are blocked, a great storms blocks any entrance to the place and hinders anyone who would even get near, to make things worse it seems that whoever is behind this already dealt with the mane 6, so it's up to the new power girls in town to solve this issue!

But yeah, I'm also liking this story so far, maybe the only negative point I see is how quickly the mane 6 got wiped out of the story (and I guess the explanation for it will be that only Sweetie's very special talent is the only way to defeat the big bad on this tale, but it's not something I feel too pleased with) but I don't mind it that much, I quite enjoy this crusaders and I'm curious to see where iy goes.

Speaking of that, this story actually went to a pretty interesting place, you see, our heroines reached a point where they find one of the pieces of Scoddri but then suddenly a giant black dragon-like being with red/green eyes attacks (and yeah, I'm not expecting a big twist on who the villain of this story is) and just as the beast was going to attack Sweetie...

The Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFsg1YgChVM

Vs Admiral/Captain Jelly - For Sudden Arrival.

While I'm prone to make spoiler tags mistakes this isn't one of them, in the middle of this story "the wanderer" arrived and started unleashing her magic.

This crossover move is quite unique as far as ponyfics are concerned, I don't remember reading a story where a character from another tale (both unfinished) comes and has such a direct interference on the main story. It's also a bit risky considering there could be people who don't like TSC (for whatever reason) and might be affected by this episode unless it's arranged in a way that can be skipped (but the fact The Wanderer Sweetie came right in the middle of a very important and not at all repeatable scene makes it seem unlikely)... I happen to like both stories so I'm okay with this but it makes me wonder how others took it.

(Also, very nice touch on both authors for paying attention to the detail that TSC Sweetie uses "Scootaloo" instead of "Scoots" )

Truth to be told this chapter didn't do much for Wanderer's story, and it felt like a progression of Silent's one.

The Wanderer Sweetie meets this particular version of the crusaders, and despite all the shit that's going on in this world this almost feels like a breather episode considering she almost gets killed by her own sister on the previous one which left her in a very angsty teenager phase (understandable, but I have this feeling I wouldn't be enjoying this story if it weren't because I love either the many contexts of it or the way Wanderer plays with them).

And yeah, it feels a bit like a breather since in this chapter she realized that at the very least, she can still count on the crusaders (who she didn't see on the IG-verse) to remain as her friends. She still doesn't trust Rarity tho (made a bit tragic considering what the "prime" one is going through right now, having a little ray of hope and happiness)

On the Silent side of this story tho, there has been quite a bit of progress made, both Sweetie's met and had a very long magic-babble (admittedly, I skipped most of it due to time constraints, hopefully I won't regret this later on), actually got to part of the place they skipped before and found not only the Twi fragment but also another Scoddri piece that was making the storm blocking the path to the Crystal Empire...

Of course, they had to get into some fights to get there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEE6NBYiZ_M

Chrome Dragon - For Battle Against the Wretched Automation

I almost forgot to mention, I loved both fights with the golems! They seem big, strong, durable, menacing, yet an opponent our heroines can still beat with some team effort. o/

And there was also the second match against the "black dragon", but that was more like Scoots gaining time while the Sweeties unleashed the spell that would break the fragments free.

After that the Wanderer leaves, but not without leaving us with 2 very interesting hooks.

First of all, the Wanderer Sweetie ended up in a Short Skirts And Explosions story... The End of Ponies. (no, it's not a happy one)

Secondly, Silent's Sweetie hasn't come back yet and seems to be stuck on the crystal she was caught the moment TSC's heroine arrived. >_> (the later one might have been solved already, but I haven't read the latest chapters of that story)

I can't wait to see how these 2 stories go. biggrin.png

Of Steam Gears and Wings:

Man I can't remember when was the last time I read this one (I actually had to do a bit of a re-read).

But it's very interesting to see the more strategist side of Bunnyhelm show, this time his whole plan gets explained a bit and it's something I can actually agree with....

More or less, somehow that guy forgot the giant pinkish Alicorn on the room. Something that Luna did not, and who knows where this story can go from this point now, maybe the fact the NLR got more princesses on their side won't help, or maybe it will and we are reaching a rather sudden ending?

I wouldn't put any money on the later tho, there has to be a reason why Celly wasn't so important in the Imperium's equation. And there is a lot going on right now beyond Canterlot (which is already quite a mess on it's own) to consider this story even remotely over.

I should probably read all those side stories Raven talks about on his blog. >_>

Bitter Sweetie: (One Shot)

This is an interesting one, first let me go ahead and tell you (risking spoiling it to you) that there is very little to none Sweetie Belle on here. Which while disappointed me a little, didn't stop me from enjoying this headcanon. And yes, the most interesting thing this story present us is a headcanon, about how Alicorns work (I guess it's safe to say this no longer goes along with the show, but it's a nice theory to read about).

Basically, Celestia and Luna are beings made out of many ponies (but mostly Celestia, Luna was "made" to function on a similar way but it seems to have started as a selfish desire by one of the Celestias to have company), each one knows when they time to pass the baton comes and pick the next avatar, in Celestia's case, Twilight.

I guess the title of the story comes from something that was mostly on the background (but becomes almost creepily clear at the end), across the years both Twi and Sweetie grew close to each other and at the end Twi starts looking at the former filly as a possible new Luna.

The rest of the story doesn't do much but explain the why's and how's of this 2 Alicorns... So yeah, it's mostly a headcanon, an interesting one tho.

*not rated*

What is a Name?: (Completed!)

Yet another interesting story, this one plays a bit with the clone trope (sort of).

Pinkie suffers an accident and her mind went through a very bad case of magical age regression, now she still believes she's the depressed filly she was before the first Rainboom, she can't see herself having friends, having fun, let alone being the one who brings smiles to everypony on Ponyville.

So this story begins with the mane 6 trying to get Pinkie's memories back, reminding her of who she was, of what she did, and of how good it's to have friends and spread joy like she usually does... And it sort of works, this version of Pinkie develops and grows to become a very similar yet distinctively different version of the mare most of us love.

Sadly this is where the complications begin, that "distinctively different" part holds a lot of weight, basically, this is another Pinkie, while the original one is slowly but surely fading inside the new one's head! Our characters see themselves with the choice of having to pretty much kill this new Pinkie to make the older one come back, and they should since as smile loving as the new one became she still can't wear the element of laughter, putting Equestria at risk. Not to mention the part where they would also kill the old Pinkie if they did nothing.

There is some arguing, some "betrayal", some reflections, at the end of the story the new Pinkie decides it's for the ebst if she goes away and let the true Pinkie come back...

But then Twi takes a third option and shows an amulet out of nowhere that could at the very least, not kill the new Pinkie (but it would hold her in a stasis like state where only the old Pinkie could hear her). Now, this reeks of Deus Ex Machina but this is the interesting part...

... It fails...

... The amulet doesn't work and the new Pinkie gets lost forever, no happy ending...

Which makes me wonder if this was an attempt of the author to give the reader hopes and dash them, or to make us think he'd take a cheap solution but then play with our expectations and make it fail.

Now, disregarding Celly's words about moving out (that felt a bit out of place for many) I feel like this one was a very interesting story.

Also, a bit of a side note, but I feel the author's comment about how this happens between S2 and 3 rather... Odd... Not like that doesn't count as a valid answer for all the people asking why he didn't use the mirror pool, but because the ponies got so attached to this new Pinkie Pie, and they were so devastated at the idea of having to get rid of her... And then Too Many Pinkie Pies happens... >_>

Rating: 3 Stars

The End of Ponies:

*FIMFiction link because EqD links are outdated*

Ahh, Short Skirts and Explosions, the artist whose stories either left you as a sobbing wreck or make you scratch your head and wonder what the hell did you just read, most of the time, it's both at the same time!

It is a good pain I swear! >_>

This one starts already on a pretty bleak situation, a cataclysm struck the world and killed pretty much every single pony (and some celestial bodies) but one, and that lonely soul tries her best both to survive and maybe... Maybe find another one.

Just at the same moment she realizes there is no one else of her kind, the last pony receives an offer, to travel back in time and discover what cause the cataclysm on the first place, with a forewarning that destiny is a bitch so nothing she does will change the past nor the present, yet with the info she gathers, she might be able to fix a new future, even without ponies, she might be able to bring the Sun and Moon back to this land (so yeah, it seems like we are getting a Bittersweet ending at best).

I have to admit that unlike the other big Skirts story this one takes a loooong time to take off, the first chapters feel a bit hard to get into but they are a necessary exposition as to how crappy the world has become. Then we get to the time travel and the first thing the last pony does (who from this point onward will be called Harmony) is make a ruckus on school and get taken prisoner on jail, well, not really since she's sent back to the present if she goes too far away from her anchor (she has to be somewhat linked to a pony to be able to remain on the past).

The Second travel was with Applejack, and while not necessary sad (except for the part where I almost expect Applejack to confess she was dying, which wasn't the case, but one should never be too optimist on a Skirts story XD) it gave us a lot of explanation as to how the time travel thing works and what Harmony becomes when doing so (pretty much a Pegasus version of the local goddess of time), it was more on the da'w side. Since it makes a big emphasis on how much the Apples care for each other (and even strangers).

The third travel is with Fluttershy, and while Yellowquiet felt a tad off (rambling about her circle of kindness philosophy right out of the bat, which isn't something I think a shy pony would do) this story was the first big emotional crunch that I'm so used to read from this author, from Shy's family problems to the little side story as to how she was pretty much a foster mother to Harmony to the Derpy ad Dinky story going on at the same time, to all the dangers they go through and the empty glass end with Fluttershy, Dinky and Derpy going on with their lives but with shy pegasus getting disowned (something Harmony unintentionally triggered) and with a pretty clear cause as to how the butter colored pony met her end (not to mention the apocalyptic log Dinky spelled at some point).

The fourth travel Harmony goes with Pinkie and gets drown i randomness.

The fifth travel is with Pinkie again, but this time they visit her hometown, which triggers so far the longest arc of the story and a quite epic one at that. Dredgemane is full of action, corruption, jokes, sadness, happiness, it's a full package that could have been a story of its own (if it weren't because of the fact it can't sustain itself very well without the context >_>), and while I'm not a big fan of Skirt's Pinkie (he isn't one either if his Background Pony blogs are anything to go by) this story made a great job of building up her "always laughing" personality to finally break it at the very end, when it seems like ponies are going to get death-sentenced for saving lives.

I wish I could comment a lot more of this story since it has a lot of great parts (especially in the last 2 arcs) but I'm feeling pretty tired to keep going right now...

Also, it seems like the fic it's a bit dead. XD

I wonder if the Wanderer might be able to give us a little more from this world, and who knows, maybe inspire Skirts to keep going? (though I'll remain skeptical about the later).

Annnnd that's it for this week! Next time, I'll possibly talk about stories that updated around 26 times while I wasn't looking, a game of confidence, my second adventure in the land of red squirrels, how to celebrate a princess birthday and the proper way of smelling roses.

• Thumbs Up 2

Apple_Family_and_Pinkie_Pie_Season_4_Ske

Apples to the Core is an upcoming song from My Little Pony Friendship is Magic season four episode nine, sung by Applejack, her family and Pinkie Pie.

We're Apples forever, Apples together We're family, but so much more

Edited by Applejack1973

I find it rather notably unfortunate that, just as I finally acquired a steady income, as I just learned today but everyone else has apparently known for weeks now, the comic is also going down the road best left untraveled and ultimately completely killing my interest in getting a subscription to it. I guess I'll just buy up all the back issues instead.