Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

I didn't get a chance to give my thoughts on today's episode since I was out a good part of the day, but I thought it was decent although not as good as some of the previous episodes. The problem as stated already was it being very predictable. I liked the nod to Animaniacs when Pinkie said "Helllooooo Rainbow Dash!" and the Indiana Jones references too.

Edited by Kevin

Yeah the episode was predictable and no, predictability is never a problem for me so that could one of the reasons reason why I enjoyed the episode more than the majority. I never undeststood why predictibility such a problem? =/

Oh god, I'm in the minority again. WHY DO THE BRONIES HAVE A SINGLE MIND WHEN IT COMES TO SHOW OPINIONS?!

GAIS STOP MAKEING ME BE IN TEH MINTORITY I HAYTE THAT! UR GAIS OPINIONS MAEK ME FEEL BAD!!! =(

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh god, I'm in the minority again.

But... only one person has said they thought it was bad...

Granted, he expressed a level of vitriol towards it that I've only seen rivaled by the hatred commonly expressed towards Mare Do Well, but still.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actually, I meant I liked it more than most who posted recently. Many say today's episode was average, whereas I loved it more than I should have, heh. Though I did give a valid (At least I think) reason as to why I loved it, so I'm fine with being in the minority again.

Secret of My Excess is one of the best episodes.

Good episode... The King Kong/Godzilla references killed the episode for me though, cause of how obvious and overused they tend to be. It's funny cause like I said a few posts ago, I don't really mind predictability and I usually don't mind overused shout outs, but this is probably the only time a pop culture reference in this show ever made me cringe. I can't explain why... It just bugged me for some reason. =/

Didn't hate it though.

Spike's rampage reminded me most of King Kong...which is funny because it would make more sense if it was more like Godzilla's rampage, since he was a giant lizard. That's probably just me though, since I don't know much about Godzilla. :P

So...next episode is the "dreaded" Valentines Day one...why does shipping have to be such serious business for some people? I mean, some of the responses I've seen to it before the episode has even aired are way over the top. I've had ships sunk in other fandoms, and I've never reacted with that amount of stupidity silliness.

Oh, and the week after that is another Pinkie episode!

:D Sounds like it's the one with that leaked song, too...really looking forward to that one!

Bah. I apologize for coming off as a pretentious overcritical douchebag yesterday (which I totally was... serves me right for watching a subpar episode of MLP on an empty stomach). Didn't mean to come off as unabashedly spiteful towards the episode and the writers as I did. That being said, watching the episode again today with a clear head I still don't like it that much. :P

Still looking forwards to "Hearts and Hooves", though! Sounds fun, from what we've heard so far!

Also yeah, "Secret of My Excess" is best pony.

Also what's this? A Fluttershy episode's on the way? Awww yeaaahh, it's about time!

Edited by E-10000B

Just curious, has anybody ever wondered just how old the mane six are?

Because I always though their ages were this:

Twilight: 16

AppleJack: 17

Rainbow Dash: 16

FlutterShy: 16

Pinkie Pie: 15

Rarity: 18

Edited by Dark Energon Johnny

I'd wager that Fluttershy was the oldest of the mane 6, purely based on her filly appearance in The Cutie Mark Chronicles.

Just curious, has anybody ever wondered just how old the mane six are?

Because I always though their ages were this:

Twilight: 16

AppleJack: 17

Rainbow Dash: 16

FlutterShy: 16

Pinkie Pie: 15

Rarity: 18

If I recall Lauren Faust did say that their ages are actual pony ages... Around five I believe? Other than that she really left it to the fans to decide... after all, most other cartoon character's ages are unknown.

Though my headcanon says otherwise, (I personally think their lifespans last longer than 30 years in Equestria) so your guesses sound about right to me, but there has been hints dropped in the show that Fluttershy's the oldest of the mane six.

Now this episode sounds promising. I'm really hoping it's one of those episodes where usually shy characters try to be more assertive only to come across as aggressive... As someone who's been down that path before, I can safely say that I love those kinds of episodes and I'd definitely relate to Fluttershy if this is the case. Plus we may see a pissed off Fluttershy again! =D

If I recall Lauren Faust did say that their ages are actual pony ages... Around five I believe? Other than that she really left it to the fans to decide... after all, most other cartoon character's ages are unknown.

Though my headcanon says otherwise, (I personally think they last longer than 30 years in Equestria) so your guesses sound about right to me, but there has been hints dropped in the show that Fluttershy's the oldest of the mane six.

The Mane 6's ages are unknown intentionally in order to make the morals featured in each episode accessible for all ages.

My headcanon theory for the Fluttershy episode:

Iron Will (Fluttershy's parent who is a royal guard) is unhappy with her being such a weak, quiet wallflower and takes it upon him/herself to toughen her up for her own good by forcing her to become a brute. Fluttershy is put in several unconfortable situations throughout the episode will little to no progress, but she's too apologetic to admit that she has an issue with it. Eventually the tension reaches it's breaking point and Fluttershy 'Puts Her Hoof Down' by finally boldly confronting Iron Will, proving that she can be assertive when necessary and stating that there's nothing wrong with being who she already is.The 'twist' is that this was Iron's plan all along and Fluttershy learns to have more confidence in herself.

Lauren Faust said that they were all "young adults" though, so I'd say a minimum of 18 (though probably early 20s) makes the most sense for the cast. I'm going by human years because Granny Smith's life seems to indicate that MLP ponies age like humans do, rather than the rapid aging of real-life horses.

Which fits well, really. Rarity runs and owns her own business, and most of them clearly live by themselves (Though Pinkie lives with her employers), after all. So I'd say vague early-to-mid 20s is the best guess for their ages.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

I'm pretty sure Faust said they did not age the same as regular ponies. Events of the show (like Family Appreciation Day's flashback in particular) can no longer support that interpretation anymore either, even if that was Faust's original intent.

Anyways, I've done this before, so let me think...

Mane Six are 20-22, except Rarity, who I'd say 23-24. Fluttershy is the second oldest (say, 22). Dash and AJ are the same age (21). Pinkie and Twilight are the youngest (Twilight probably being the youngest of the group overall).

Mac is notably older than AJ, but by no more than 5 years (so around 26-27). Cheerilee is the same age as Mac. CMC (and classmates) are about 10 years younger than the Mane cast (so, preteens). Pip is about 5 years younger than the CMC (7-8). Granny Smith is in her mid-to-late-70s. Rarity's parents are in their mid-to-late 40s. Mr. and Mrs. Cake are close to 40, him being just above it and her being just below it. Douche is 25. Gilda is the same age as Dash. Trixie splits the difference between Fluttershy and Rarity.

Edited by Gilda

MY NOT SO LITTLE REVIEW: Overanalysing is undeniably, unquestionably, un-pu-down-able!

HORY SHET! I'M THE EGGMAN AN EGGHEAD! D:

Episode 42: Read It And Weep.

Chapter:

The episode starts with Pinkie and Rarity watching Dash doing some stunts, Twilight joins soon after just to see the cyan pegasus doing honor to her flight school nickname... I'm a bit peeved that it was an offscreen injury but I guess this is to be expected (being a girls show and whatnot)... I'm also a bit peeved at how the ponies just stood there looking while Rainbow was like laying on wherever she crashed in... Actually, I'm lying, I found that scene hilarious for some reason (such disregard for one's safety is something that I'm used to see in comedy mangas) and they reacted and got Rainbow to the hospital offscreen (or that might have been AJ or Flutters) so it's all right.

Anyway, our rainbow maned protagonist wakes up in the hospital (the same hospital the baby cakes were born! YAY for consistency!) and finds she broke her wing (now we can hurt her as much as we want in fanfics! yay?)! She is going to be chained to the bed for days! This is going to be frustratingly boring!

Luckily, Twilight has a nice idea to spend some time, she grabs a book and offers it to Dash mentioning that she will probably enjoy this story since the protagonist is a lot like her, but Rainbow declines because she is an athlete... I mean... Where did you heard about athletic ponies reading? Is not like AJ reads, nor Twilight was ever an athletic pony and she never got fifth in a regional race right? I mean... Where did she get the idea a pony can enjoy 2 (radically?) different activities? That unicorn is crazy...

But alas, the boredom of an hospital without working TV nor internet quickly gets to Dash, her room partner doesn't seem to be much of a talker either (I would have loved a scene with the poor stallion calling for the nurse after Rainbow got too annoying), so reluctantly... She is forced to start to read the book...

A few lines later she is freaking hooked by this amazing piece of literature (I'll get to this later)! This is the greatest story ever (or Dash is really easy to impress)! But... But... Why is Rainbow liking this? this goes against everything an awesome pony like her should do! Does this mean she is transforming into a bookworm? What should she do!?

The book... She'll read it in secret! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!

94412%20-%20crazy_twilight%20handlebar_moustache%20moustaches_makes_you_evil%20NYEH%20twilight_sparkle.PNG

We need a pic of Rainbow doing this. sad.png

Edited by gato

I think almost all of them are really good episodes tbh. What I like most about the show (outside of Luna :3) is the personalities of the mane 6 ponies and they're always present, so I can almost always enjoy an episode.