Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the speed of sound and is also Sonic's (un?)officially stated speed.

Does the speedometer in Chaos or Unleashed give a measurement unit? I think Chaos goes by km/h, but I think Unleashed just puts '-number- SPD'. Not sure...

Super Sonic being Chaos-powered, I'd say his speed is so high it's virtually instantaneous. He can go as fast as Chaos energy can, theoretically. Chaos Control seems to alternate between being a high-speed state, teleportation, or the slowing of time depending on the game. So we haven't really defined the theoretical limit of Super Sonic's speed...

That's not say Super Sonic ever goes to his limit. Sonic lacks the practice someone like Shadow or the like possesses. ...even if he's demonstrated he could pick up Chaos abilities in a heartbeat (seriously his dumb luck with the fake emerald was hilarious). My guess is he doesn't because he feels it's so much more fun to smash you with his bare hands and feet. That and the whole Chaos Emerald thingy's been established as Shadow and Knuckles' thing and he needs to keep himself distinct from the dorks.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

How do you absorb a pair of shoes.
The same way he absorbs rings, emeralds, communicators, drives etc etc

I guess we can safely say the speed of sound since that tends to be said a lot?

It's also kinda funny because he's technically not the fastest character if you count Silver and his ESP powers, but Sonic always claims he's the fastest creature alive when he is only on two legs.

Will anyone ever be given character development ever again?

Probably not so long as more complex stories are associated with sucking.

What I don't get is why those who don't enjoy the cutscenes are apparently incapable of pressing the Skip Cutscene button. It's the best of both worlds - people who want plot get plot, people who don't want plot can get right to the action.

And then the reviewers go ahead and discuss the story anyway, expecting a Shakespearean masterpiece from a series about a cartoon hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 5

What I don't get is why those who don't enjoy the cutscenes are apparently incapable of pressing the Skip Cutscene button. It's the best of both worlds - people who want plot get plot, people who don't want plot can get right to the action.

And then the reviewers go ahead and discuss the story anyway, expecting a Shakespearean masterpiece from a series about a cartoon hedgehog.

I think there's an expectation that the plot will tell you what to do next, and that you can't skip it or you'll be left without a clue what to do next and missing some vital information.  Thus, even if you despise the plot, you have to sit through it in case you miss something.  And the reviewers have to review the story; it's their job.  They could perhaps do with being more open-minded and think about what the game's actually trying to do, but I think a review that didn't mention a game's story (if it's a game that has one) might be worse than a review which tears it apart on false grounds.  It's kind of like the difference between a Sonic game not having a plot and having a terrible plot.

...Just realised this isn't really the thread for this discussion, so I'll need to comment on something else.  Sonic's speed?  Faster than any other organic being, but that's as fast as you really need to set it.  Might cause problems if say a giant space whale showed up, but he'd probably learn to overtake even that.  I think that giving him a literal top speed in miles per hour is like giving the characters an age in years.  It's kind of meaningless in context because the situation isn't remotely comparable to real life.

Why was Knuckles crying when Sonic found him in Sonic Advanced 2?

Edited by knucklesgirl

Because he was embarrassed and humiliated that he got deceived by Eggman...again? And had his ass handed to him by Sonic again?

• 1 month later...

Forgot why I was wondering this, but do the Chaos Powers/Emeralds/Rings (& etc.) in the series count as Magic or what? I wondered this because I thought it was magic, but it just kinda feels weird to me thinking that the Sonic Series has a lot of Magic in it.

Magic? Nah. Rings and Emeralds are just referred to as having 'energy'. Unexplainable, powerful energy sources.

Forgot why I was wondering this, but do the Chaos Powers/Emeralds/Rings (& etc.) in the series count as Magic or what? I wondered this because I thought it was magic, but it just kinda feels weird to me thinking that the Sonic Series has a lot of Magic in it.

Well, Sonic did start out as a fantasy series, so I'd say that Chaos Energy counts as magic in all but name. The same would apply to the Emeralds. As for the rings, I'm not sure they're meant to be much more than currency in-universe.

The chaos emeralds I think technically would be considered magic, since they are natural and were formed through magical reasons. The rings on the other hand I'm pretty sure are a technology. They were developed to have loads of energy, so while they are a bit magical in how they have so much energy, I'm pretty sure they were a developed thing.

Not sure if this one was answered or not, but where is Christmas Island in correlation to the others? (South Island, West Island, etc.)

Not sure if this one was answered or not, but where is Christmas Island in correlation to the others? (South Island, West Island, etc.)

It isn't anywhere in relation to them.

South Island and Westside Island are fictional places, but Christmas Island is real.

Edited by Blue Blood

It isn't anywhere in relation to them.

South Island and West Island are fictional places, but Christmas Island is real.

I meant in a fictional sense, as in "if Sonic's world had it's own equivalent to the real Christmas Island."

I meant in a fictional sense, as in "if Sonic's world had it's own equivalent to the real Christmas Island."

It's always hard to know what the geography of Sonic's world is supposed to be, especially after Unleashed established something completely different to past games (also Chronicles lulz). I'd like to see SEGA show off a full map at some point, including the location of key locations from across the entire series

• Thumbs Up 3

Just what happened to Mighty between the events of Knuckles' Chaotix and Sonic Heroes?

He (along with the original versions of Team Chaotix) were essentially scrapped, following the Sonic Adventure reboot.

It's always hard to know what the geography of Sonic's world is supposed to be, especially after Unleashed established something completely different to past games (also Chronicles lulz). I'd like to see SEGA show off a full map at some point, including the location of key locations from across the entire series

The archieverse had an established map that had been shown in the past. Dont think there has ever been a fully established video game map, since they have changed it at least a couple of times depending on the game.

There was a skit of this in a comic somewhere... a map of the world was deliberately obscured by one of the characters because otherwise it's a "fixed continuity."

We have Unleashed's map... Chronicles... and Shadow's if I'm not mistaken.

Chronicles being in the isolated timeline it is I think we can overrule it since to my knowledge the game basically just wanted to wrap all the various continuities together. That leaves us with Shadow and Unleashed... Shadow's is just the real world reversed or something like that if I recall.

I would place the most faith in Unleashed's. It actually created several countries which, while clear imitations of real ones, nonetheless give a clear sense of space. Plus it gave Eggman his own country. Yes, it may have been built due to Dark Gaia, but suddenly it makes sense how he can field such massive fleets on a regular base.

Tails asked in the Sonic generations game where sonic keeps all his rings, but doesn't he use them at the black market to spoil his chaos? aren't they a form of currency?

• Thumbs Up 1