Awoo.

Should Sonic ever try to pursue a romantic relationship (or have moments that hint at romance)?

Soniman

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sonic isn't the type to hide how he feels, the dude very much wears his heart on his sleeve.

He acts all cool in the face of all danger, even when the entire world is at risk he very rarely shows any fear, sadness, guilt or regret (and we all know he shows next to no romantic feelings). He says to Knuckles in SA2 that he hates to ask him for help. Sonic would rather take the world on his shoulders. Of course he cares about his friends, but he hides it with jokes and his ego.

Really not seeing how Amy is any better at this point.

Amy isn't just learning how to build relationships with people nor does she focus her entire life around her obligations. That gives her the advantage by default.

Amy isn't just learning how to build relationships with people nor does she focus her entire life around her obligations. That gives her the advantage by default.

No, she's becoming more and more obsessed with Sonic, and lacking in anything else that Sonic literally has no reason to like her, and is pretty justified in pushing her away.

If Sonic was going to have a relationship with another character other than Amy, he would have to make friends with Amy first, weather he likes her romatically or not, he does care about his friends' feelings and wouldn't want to just break her heart like that, he knows she is in love with him, and how much it would hurt her to see sonic just whizz off with the next girl.

I'd like to see the Sonic and Amy relationship expanded, same for the one that Knuckles and Rouge have, but apart from that... eh. Not my cup of tea really, and while Eggman is a feminist apparently, I think he's too busy caring about numero uno to find a girlfriend of some sort...

• Thumbs Up 2

Going into fanfic mode, where I don't talk about writing, subtext or shit like that.

I see how Amy if evolved into a normal, mature girl could be a better fit for a mature Sonic than Blaze is or at least more beneficial from a relationship standpoint.

for one, she has no obligations, and then she lives in the same dimension as him, much easier as it's not like the universe would blow up if they stayed together for more than a day or have weird prophecies regarding emerals about them, it's as simple as any love interest would actually be.

It would solve the "like each other" problem of Sonic/Amy and it could work rather well, as long as Sonic is changed to fit in a actually realistic relationship dinamics with Amy, but then you would be solving all the problems of the relationship, of course it would be easy that way.

but however if you solved Blaze's problem of "can't be together" (universes blowing up, being a queen (you know, aged up) and the weird emeralds prophecies) she would be as much as a suitable love interest, as a completely mature Amy...

of course, characters don't age in this series... but still... solving the romantic problems is only that.

I just realized, Amy is 12 and Sonic is 15/16, doesn't that make the prospect of a relationship sound kind of squicky?

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just realized, Amy is 12 and Sonic is 15/16, doesn't that make the prospect of a relationship sound kind of squicky?

... it's not that big a difference.

... it's not that big a difference.

Not when you're older, but when you're 15/16, its a pretty big difference. Its all relative.

Age is completely irrelevant to the characterization of the cast because none of them, with the exception of Cream and Charmy, actually sound or act their age. You can mix up their ages within reason and not have any issues. Sonic and Amy in a relationship would only be squicky on an age-related front to the people who would be so inclined to force realistic views on relationships onto a fantasy series in the first place, e.g., the same people who think Elise kissing Sonic was necrophiliac bestiality, the same people who we should all still be ignoring at this point.

• Thumbs Up 7

yeah, age is not really an issue, I don't see how it change things at all.

except for Amy being imature, but Sonic is a bit imature himself as he is only 15 years old... so I really don't see the problem there.

I could be brought round to this and like you said in the OP it kind of has been leading to this in the past couple games but I think it requires more subtlety than the writers are capable of, it requires a complete flip in Amy's personality.
I wouldn't say it requires a complete flip. She can still be fangirlishly infatuated, she can still be clingy and demanding, but it's got to be done with the understanding that, 1, Sonic needs his space, and 2, he will come back to her.

He acts all cool in the face of all danger, even when the entire world is at risk he very rarely shows any fear, sadness, guilt or regret (and we all know he shows next to no romantic feelings). He says to Knuckles in SA2 that he hates to ask him for help. Sonic would rather take the world on his shoulders. Of course he cares about his friends, but he hides it with jokes and his ego.
I really don't get the feeling that he's hiding much. Yeah, he faces down giant robots and monsters without flinching--because he really is that confident. And when shit gets really serious, he doesn't really make an attempt to hide how he feels.

Ehh...not terribly so. It's a bit of a stretch, but not an insurmountable one, and it's not like anyone in this series really acts their age. Plus it's not as if it's ever going to go farther than a kiss, if that.

It is so obvious guiz.

Knuckles and Sonic are obviously denying their inherent homosexual attraction for one another. Eventually the dam is going to break and they'll have one night of passion with each other that changes their relationship forever.

Like in my fanfiction.

• Thumbs Up 5

"More and more"? I'd disagree. She delved into extreme obsession in Heroes, but after that it's been gradually getting better. By Unleashed, I wouldn't say she's obsessed at all. She still has a crush on Sonic, but doesn't take any shit either. And isn't insane about running after him.

Honestly, I'm not exactly big on Romance in the Sonic series. But I stick to my guns in me belief that if they can pull if off, then why not?

My opinion on romance is more neutral, and considering how the writing is in this series, I'd say no. But eventually, that might change.

I don't like the idea of official romantic relationships in this series, especially involving Sonic, especially involving Amy,not as opposed as I once was.

The thing is, if anyone pairs up with Sonic,especially Amy, then I fear for Amy's character, what would Sega DO with her?

What would Amy be without the very things that put Sonic off? Frankly, nothing.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sonic isn't the type to hide how he feels, the dude very much wears his heart on his sleeve.

I think Naysu is right, Sonic can be hammy, but he only hams to show he's happy and excited(and probably knows it's kind of silly and finds it amusing) and tries to cover up when he isn't happy, I think a better example would be the Sa2 ending when Sonic turns away so Amy doesn't see him, or the Sonic battle ending where he's saying everything's all right and blatantly lying.

(In Sonic colours/gens Sonic is obviously quite literally fearless though.)

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 1

NO. Sonic is a whimsical platforming game, we don't need deep love stories or even slight hints as seen in annoying anime cartoons. Do people want Sonic to be a laughingstock again?

NO. Sonic is a whimsical platforming game, we don't need deep love stories or even slight hints as seen in annoying anime cartoons. Do people want Sonic to be a laughingstock again?

Well that's a bit of a extreme reaction.

Even Mario has Peach.

e: I mean, come on. Could anyone even count how many old platformers have you saving your girlfriend or some potential love interest?

Edited by hella jeff

Even Mario has Peach.

e: I mean, come on. Could anyone even count how many old platformers have you saving your girlfriend or some potential love interest?

there is subtext between them, but according to Tv Tropes, Peach is kinda like a "not love interest" of Mario.

Edited by Anti Alias