Awoo.

Should Sonic ever try to pursue a romantic relationship (or have moments that hint at romance)?

Soniman

Though we've discussed shipping in the Sonic series before, we've never really discussed whether or not it would be appropriate for Sonic, as a character, to ever get involved romantically with another female character of this franchise.

Hell, im not even talking strictly boyfriend/girlfriend stuff, I'm speaking of maybe even just hints or implications here and there.

Like for instance you have games like Sonic Unleashed and Sonic and the Black Knight, where it is sort of implied that Sonic may have some feelings for Amy (god I hope I'm not grasping for straws here) when he was visibly disappointed that Amy didn't recognize him in his Werehog form. And also I have to mention that the player actually can ask Amy out on a date if one chooses to.

And in Black Knight you hear a post credits conversation between Amy and Sonic about how they actually did have a date (possibly referring to the one from Unleashed) before Sonic was sidetracked with saving a kingdom.

So my question is should Sonic and romance be kept off to the side and only reserved for optional side quests (and therefore have a shady place in the canon) or should they bring it more out into the open and have Sonic and Amy (as an example) grow more and more affectionate and close with each succeeding game and becomes more and more significant as time goes on? And I'm not talking about making it the main part of the overall plot, just have it on the side and develop from there.

Edited by Soniman

I'm no averse to the idea but I'd prefer it not to be with Amy. I'd like a new character who has time to be seeded through a few games before it's finally announced that Sonic likes them.

I don't think it's out of his character, I do think however that someone he ends up with would need to fit into his character, I don't think Amy fills that niche.

And even if Sonic never finds anyone I'd at least like someone too, it's unrealistic how completely asexual the sonic universe is. Seriously, does anyone have a partner in the series? How does the world continue to populate?

I think the optional route would be the best way to go, or at least for it to be very subtle things if it were non-optional, like Unleashed.

And even if Sonic never finds anyone I'd at least like someone too, it's unrealistic how completely asexual the sonic universe is. Seriously, does anyone have a partner in the series? How does the world continue to populate?

Well Cream does have a mother, so we at least know it's possible.

Well Cream does have a mother, so we at least know it's possible.

As soon as I posted I remembered the Old couple and the Sailer/shopkeeper/child family from unleashed :P

Only if it's written with care and not force down our necks. It could work, but it'll have to be believeable in other words, it should feel natural.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno...

The community has already got plenty of fuel in the flame wars with so many different continuities, by making a couple official, all the "shippers" (Is that what the're called?) would go nutz.

Not that I care what they do. Like what the others have said, either make it optional or well written.

But on the other hand, I'm not sure if being in a couple is true to Sonic as a character. He's all about freedom and never staying in one place. Some would argue that a relationship is almost the opposite of that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Though we've discussed shipping in the Sonic series we've never really discussed whether or not it would be appropriate for Sonic, as a character, to ever get involved romantically with a female character of this franchise.

Little prejudiced there, aren't we? Who's to say Sonic can't get involved romantically with a male character of this franchise? Or a genderless character, like Gamma or Omega. Or a ...

*AHEM*

On the subject of romance, I wouldn't mind if it was done right (I.E. not how badly they did Elise). Mind you, Sonic seems to prefer having friends than to being in a romantic relationship - He's a pretty outgoing guy. So maybe he'd be friends with someone - with the slight hint of romance.

Why a love interest for Sonic? Why not one for Eggman?

In all honesty, if we're going to have romance, I think it fits Robotnik better. What's there to say? While the Eggman of the games has never mentioned the concept of love, his many derivative counterparts certainly have. The Sonic fandom is famous for its many sub-fandoms devoted to character pairings, but Eggman is often left out of these discussions. Partially, it's because his only potential for romantic relationships have been outside of the games, and even in those cases, they've been somewhat obscure

I wouldn't mind seeing a "Sera-esque" character adapted into the games, while keeping it to some flirts and not a full-fledged relationship. I think the few times the concept of Eggman's romantic life has been brought up in the official media, it's been very interesting. Unleashed broke up the story by just showing Eggman goofing off around his base, and it fit into the plot well enough; a love interest could certainly contribute to that, and it would show a bit of Robotnik's human side as well.

I like the sound of this. I like the idea of seeing Robotnik's romantic side. I like the idea of him settling down with someone as evil as him, and them planning to conker the world together.

Edited by Paradox

I wouldn't mind seeing a "Sera-esque" character adapted into the games, while keeping it to some flirts and not a full-fledged relationship. I think the few times the concept of Eggman's romantic life has been brought up in the official media, it's been very interesting. Unleashed broke up the story by just showing Eggman goofing off around his base, and it fit into the plot well enough; a love interest could certainly contribute to that, and it would show a bit of Robotnik's human side as well.

That's actually a pretty neat idea. Only thing is I fear they'd probably just give him a cliched "bad" female interest.

The Eggman romance seems like a great idea. Him and Mrs Eggman (Sorry couldn't resist it.), could possibly try to take over the world together. Only to argue and make Sonic laugh.

Edited by - Crash -

Do we really need to introduce a character for the sole purpose of loving Eggman?

That's my problem with doing the same for Sonic. I mean why introduce a completely new character that's only meant to be Sonic's love interest? It would be incredibly redundant seeing as how we have Amy.

• Thumbs Up 3

The community has already got plenty of fuel in the flame wars with so many different continuities, by making a couple official, all the "shippers" (Is that what the're called?) would go nutz.
Have you seen shippers burn? You could hardly imagine a more beautiful flame.

But on the other hand, I'm not sure if being in a couple is true to Sonic as a character. He's all about freedom and never staying in one place. Some would argue that a relationship is almost the opposite of that.
Again, name one thing that Sonic would be prevented from doing if he were dating someone.

romantic RELATIONSHIP???

FUCK NO!!!!!

Why not? Edited by hella jeff

Love interest? No.

Some possibly Spider-Man-esque "flirty" but on a whole a friendship/personality quirk to color up dialogue? Well, I guess wouldn't exactly mind that. I think a few of Sonic's interactions with Rouge from Chronicles actually got it kind of right in terms of the limit Sonic shouldn't go passed when it comes to a bit more egotistical interactions. It was... kind of interesting seeing the developers try doing that.

On the whole I think there's a fair balance with what we have but a character shouldn't be introduced with the purpose of being an object for this kind of purpose. Much like the way Colors was written, this stuff needs to be context-based and kind of cleverly "slip in".

As an aside I will mention in retrospect I feel like having the kind of potential triangle susceptible between Sonic-Rouge-Knuckles is all too similar to the Dave-Terezi-Karkat triangle from Homestuck and considering this subject dwells on shipping I'm laughing my ass off right now.

Do we really need to introduce a character for the sole purpose of loving Eggman?
Hmm, I expected somebody would say that. I agree that having a love interest just for this is very shallow, forced and contrived in my opinion and as if Sonic hadn't so many characters already.

Ella and Sera worked because they had their own roles within the shows, outside of Eggman. They existed, not just because they were supposed to be Eggman's other half. If the character is someone we'd been used to and/or had her own place, then perhaps this could work but as things are, she cannot be introduced without being a major character that is tied to the plot, and no one wants another Elise (I think). Introducing her without depth makes the whole thing fickle and there's no character development, because we don't see why Eggman likes her, or why would she like Eggman.

But I can see how this can be done. At some point, they could introduce a new female character that is not necessarily integral to the plot of the game. Maybe a new commander for GUN, or a different character altogether. The story would drop a few subtle hints that there may be something between them, but nothing substantial, at least not in the game where she is introduced. Maybe she doesn't even need to appear at all. We could see Eggman being caught writing romantic poetry to "someone", or sending a robot to deliver flowers, just to show he's a romantic sap.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's my problem with doing the same for Sonic. I mean why introduce a completely new character that's only meant to be Sonic's love interest? It would be incredibly redundant seeing as how we have Amy.

....but Sonic isn't interested in Amy. The point of introducing a new character would be that it would be someone Sonic would find attractive, with common personality and interests.

As for Hypothetical the Hedgehog only being Sonic's love interest, well that wouldn't be the case if she were well written. She could easily be a fully three dimensional character......of course then they'd have to start adding depth to every other character in the series...

Sonic and Amy sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G.

Well, I guess a romantic relationship for characters would be okayish, but they are young characters aimed at a young audience, so it could only really be something light. I can't really see Sonic Team going this route.

Again, name one thing that Sonic would be prevented from doing if he were dating someone.

Sleeping around? XP *shot*

I honestly can't answer that. I've heard a lot of people complain about being in a relationship, but most of them were comedians who are most probably exaggerating for comedic purposes. XD

I don't want to add to the discussion anything that I might know about romance in that continuity (and oh, how I researched that), so I will keep my mouth (fingers?) shout and just peacifully watch the discussion.

I have a grasp about on how and with who characters interact with what kind of subtext is present in the scenes based on my perception of the scenes, trying to find what the autors were striving for with such scenes... and... I just tend to follow that.

no romantic relationships, no out of character romantic interactions, or implications.

but I like the idea of giving Eggman a love interest, can we talk about that?

Edited by Anti Alias