Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

"Click X 60 times in 30 seconds to finish the boss"

Fuck that shit.

Was that really so? There was a real, playable boss fight, separate from the button pressing. The QTEs, in that moment, served the same way a cutscene would had. In fact, that's exactly what they are in that scene.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was that really so? There was a real, playable boss fight, separate from the button pressing. The QTEs, in that moment, served the same way a cutscene would had. In fact, that's exactly what they are in that scene.

But I can barely push that fast. I got really lucky to do it once, because otherwise I was being sent in an endless loop to do that same scene again and again without closure. Pressing one button at the end is one thing, but that bordered on impossible for me. Is it really fair that someone who can't do that isn't allowed to finish the fight?

Edited by VEDJ-F

But I can barely push that fast. I got really lucky to do it once, because otherwise I was being sent in an endless loop to do that same scene again and again without closure. Pressing one button at the end is one thing, but that bordered on impossible for me. Is it really fair that someone who can't do that isn't allowed to finish the fight?

It helps if you put the controller down and press it with your index finger.

That is a quicktime event, and I agree that the way they implemented in for the Daytime Stages was fairly poor. They really break the flow of the game and it's annoying to have to determine the fate of Sonic via how fast you can mash a random selection of buttons, rather than just simply moving fast enough to clear a pit using a ramp or something.

I think Colors had the right idea with those. All you ever have to do is press A, and AFAIK, if you don't, the only consequence is not getting some points.

That helps with all types of button mashing.

I think Colors had the right idea with those. All you ever have to do is press A, and AFAIK, if you don't, the only consequence is not getting some points.

I don't think that's better, making this type of thing just press one button to get through is way too easy. I'd rather have them go the Sonic Rush route and use a skill they gave you to press 2 specific buttons to gain extra height or gain more speed to make it over the gap all while gaining some points with Generation styled trick combos.

Edited by Chrononego

I used a pencil to push it while it was on a flat surface. I'm naturally very slow at tapping the buttons on a controller repeatedly, which is why I fail at almost any challenge that requires that in any game.

Lock your wrist, extend your fingers out straight hovering over the buttons, and tighten the muscles in your hand so much that it starts spasming. That's how I always do those kinds of QTEs.

Probably not good for your hand, but GOTTA GO FAST.

I used a pencil to push it while it was on a flat surface. I'm naturally very slow at tapping the buttons on a controller repeatedly, which is why I fail at almost any challenge that requires that in any game.

I have the perfect solution....PLAY FIGHTING GAMES, seriously your dexterity will be off the fucking charts.

Personally, I enjoyed the QTE's. They were handled pretty poorly in the Daytime levels, but as the Werehog they were entertaining. Not exactly groundbreaking material, the game would be the same without them, but they didn't bother me in the slightest. They added a level of input so it made the boss-finishing cutscenes slightly more satisfying imo.

You know, it may not seem like it, but I actually don't mind most QTEs. That one in the Unleashed fight against Perfect Dark Gaia just irked me a lot for a reason listed.

Unpopular: You know, after analysing the plot of Colours carefully due to a status update...yeah, it is actually pretty bad. Not for the tone or simplicity at all mind, but the sheer amount of ass pulls it takes to give Yacker and Tails anything to do in the plot. Sonic could see that the aliens were being captured by Orbot and Cubot without any assistance and could probably have worked out that a whole lot needed saving in any other situation, and given that Sonic explicitly says that he investigates any suspicious flashing objects (ie the generators), he didn't need Yacker to tell him to break them. Yacker becoming a complete no-show for the second half of the game just compounds this.

You know, it may not seem like it, but I actually don't mind most QTEs. That one in the Unleashed fight against Perfect Dark Gaia just irked me a lot for a reason listed.

Unpopular: You know, after analysing the plot of Colours carefully due to a status update...yeah, it is actually pretty bad. Not for the tone or simplicity at all mind, but the sheer amount of ass pulls it takes to give Yacker and Tails anything to do in the plot. Sonic could see that the aliens were being captured by Orbot and Cubot without any assistance and could probably have worked out that a whole lot needed saving in any other situation, and given that Sonic explicitly says that he investigates any suspicious flashing objects (ie the generators), he didn't need Yacker to tell him to break them. Yacker becoming a complete no-show for the second half of the game just compounds this.

If the new writers have talent then the next game is the time to show it, because I really want to know how they would fare writing a more complex story. I'm not looking for a masterpiece, but at least something like Unleashed's level of complexity.

Which leads to another unpopular opinion: The current plots suck because they do not accommodate for any other character aside from Sonic & Eggman at all. They try to make the cast seem "important" by giving them something mundane things to do(Like translating, or cheering), but ultimately they're basically made useless by how overly competent Sonic is at this point, and their contributions are minor at best. In short, Sega have justified the criticisms towards the cast that they're useless and annoying by making them exactly that, "useless and annoying" but then Sega wonders why the casts are hated so much.

If the new writers have talent then the next game is the time to show it, because I really want to know how they would fare writing a more complex story. I'm not looking for a masterpiece, but at least something like Unleashed's level of complexity.

So not a lot more than Colours then.

So not a lot more than Colours then.

Yep, pretty much. I found Unleashed's story a lot more entertaining. Also I'd like them to try a darker toned story only because they've never done one.

Yep, pretty much. I found Unleashed's story a lot more entertaining. Also I'd like them to try a darker toned story only because they've never done one.

Ya know, if we're truly going to have at least good storytelling in the series, people need to stop settling for the flawed stories we've already had, and step up their standards otherwise Sega are just going to keep on churning mediocrity.

Ya know, if we're truly going to have at least good storytelling in the series, people need to stop settling for the flawed stories we've already had, and step up their standards otherwise Sega are just going to keep on churning mediocrity.

Wasn't so critical of it because story isn't the main focus of the game. Of course I'd like it to be the best it could be, but I honestly didn't have a problem with Sonic Unleashed's story. Probably because I don't look into them too much though.

Wasn't so critical of it because story isn't the main focus of the game. Of course I'd like it to be the best it could be, but I honestly didn't have a problem with Sonic Unleashed's story. Probably because I don't look into them too much though.

Just because it's not the main focus of the game doesn't give them the excuse to half ass their writing, if you're going to have a game with a plot then make sure it's at least competently written, otherwise what's the point? You may as well not have any plot at all.

How does one even define good storytelling anyway? There's of course, not creating inconsistencies and plotholes, but when does it veer from objective into subjective?

06's use of time travel, evil recolors, cultural insensitivity, and wtf romance aside, just all worked to make that a total mess.

But I liked the plot twists of Sonic Adventure 2, Black Knight, and also enjoyed Unleashed for what story it had.

Of course this isn't even touching on how storylines can become a hornet's nest. Some folk insist on nothing but 1920s silent films, whereas others want something more deep, dark and dramatic. I'd hate to be the guy who has to write these things because you have so many groups you need to please.

I'm all in favor of more story, though, myself.

At the risk of totally becoming a pariah on these boards, I will now list several of my Sonic opinions that go against the grain:

-I think the Sonic Adventure games had fantastically fun stories.

-I enjoy alternate gameplay styles--even fishing (though I definitely enjoy Sonic gameplay the most).

-The Sonic voice actors from Adventure through Heroes were pretty good.

-Sonic and the Secret Rings had glitchy controls that made the game a chore to even attempt playing.

-Sonic '06 is broken, yes, but far from unplayable...and far from unenjoyable.

-Sonic Colors was horrendously overrated, with slow and clunky platforming, not much in the way of story, and dialogue that would make the Shadow the Hedgehog writers cringe.

-Sonic 4, while certainly unoriginal, is perfectly playable and, yes, enjoyable.

Break out the pitchforks, folks.

Just because it's not the main focus of the game doesn't give them the excuse to half ass their writing, if you're going to have a game with a plot then make sure it's at least competently written, otherwise what's the point? You may as well not have any plot at all.

I don't know if it excuses no plot at all. Generations practically had no plot, and it really made the experience a lot less satisfying even though the gameplay was good. When I said Unleashed I was referring to it as the bare minimum, because I thought colors and generations writing was ridiculously bad.

I don't know if it excuses no plot at all. Generations practically had no plot, and it really made the experience a lot less satisfying even though the gameplay was good. When I said Unleashed I was referring to it as the bare minimum, because I thought colors and generations writing was ridiculously bad.

The point I was making is that the series has never had truly good writing, ever or at the very least every instance of good writing is marred down by how many flaws are there within it. Every game always has had flawed writing in some way, and while nothing is truly perfect, the good should outweigh the bad as far as it's concerned.

I think it truly speaks volumes when arguably the best writing this series has had are in two spin offs, and not the mainstream titles.

The point I was making is that the series has never had truly good writing, ever or at the very least every instance of good writing is marred down by how many flaws are there within it. Every game always has had flawed writing in some way, and while nothing is truly perfect, the good should outweigh the bad as far as it's concerned.

I think it truly speaks volumes when arguably the best writing this series has had are in two spin offs, and not the mainstream titles.

It's definitely true that the series writing has never been all that great. The only reason I tried to compare to another title is because I didn't want to have too high expectations for something that is unlikely to happen. The problem with the writers now is that they don't try hard enough.

And out of curiosity, what were the two spin-offs you were referring to?

It's definitely true that the series writing has never been all that great. The only reason I tried to compare to another title is because I didn't want to have too high expectations for something that is unlikely to happen. The problem with the writers now is that they don't try hard enough.

And out of curiosity, what were the two spin-offs you were referring to?

I was mainly referring to the storybook games; outside of not utilizing many of the characters outside of Sonic himself, there's not much fault in it writing wise.

Seaside hill modern is one of my favorite tracks in Generations. I mean sure it wasn't as remixed, but it was still cool how they mixed i Ocean palace.

I think if they're widely available and easier to use, it's not so much of a problem that there's no real need to go to the future. You can time-jump just to see the sights, without doing so being a whole big issue.

As far as overwriting what you're carrying, they could have it so you can only pick up a sign if you aren't carrying one, and pressing the time travel button without building up a charge discards what you're carrying. That's a slightly higher chance of wasting it (either jumping the gun just before you've got a charge, or being stopped just before you press the button), but not too bad.

The level design would still make the process tedious as all hell, considering how the very levels are designed to fuck with your speed in almost anyway possible. Just touch a signpost, and be done with it, it would be better that way.

Besides, for all the good this will do, none of our suggestions make the final product better. It's good that the physics were fixed, but when the level design and main gimmick are broken, it still sucks.