Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I agree with those who said that Sonic 4 wasn't a bad game, I actually really enjoyed it. Could be the fact that I feel more in-control having the homing attack in the classic-type games, I'm A-OK with it though! Sonic 4 Episode 2 wasn't that bad either, I actually got all the Chaos Emeralds in it too.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found Sonic 4 as a whole to be extremely forgettable, which is ironic given how much SEGA was banking on the name legacy and how much fighting went on in its wake. 

The best thing from it was Dying Duck Zone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not alot are gonna have the same opinion as me. I still stand that Sonic 4 was one of a good 2D games. I have such a fun time with it for speedruns. 

If it's absolutely one good thing I could say for Sonic 4 as a whole... It's that Tails' idle animations in Episode II are fucking adorable. Also, the doggy paddle returns.

While we're on Sonic 4, that "dying cat" mere was one of the most annoying things to come from this fanbase. You have no idea how sick I got of seeing "LULDYINGCATS" every time Sonic 4 got brought up, let alone its soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 4

While we're on Sonic 4, that "dying cat" mere was one of the most annoying things to come from this fanbase. You have no idea how sick I got of seeing "LULDYINGCATS" every time Sonic 4 got brought up, let alone its soundtrack.

The what? I've honestly never heard of that. 

Fairly unpopular opinion: I think Sticks is a adorable great character, She has become my 2nd favorite female character in the series currently... She still needs a new English voice tho...

Semi-popular opinion: I think Blaze is the best female in the series for many reasons. And would go crazy for a console game starring her as the main character... because such a idea as that would be likely treated as a spinoff game... I think Sonic shouldn't be playable, ETC in such a game so that the spotlight isn't taken away from Blaze.

Somewhat popular opinions: I think a Dr.Eggman and or Metal-Sonic spinoff games would be epic if made good.

Other opinions, not sure if popular or not: I want the stories and characters and even gameplay to be more whimsical and be full of much more hyperactive energy... especially lately I feel a lot of the Sonic stories just have the characters standing around half the time, making bad jokes and just being durpy overall.

Unpopular opinion: I don't think Sonic Adventure 2 had a good story really.

Tiny bit unpopular opinion: I dislike it when Sonic & gang are tossed into semi-near photo realistic environments/world, and prefer the more extreme cartoony/abstract and surreal world designs.

Maybe popular opinion: I think Sonic CD had some of the best music in the series. I count both versions of the music BTW.

Not sure how to place this: Anyways last for now is I think almost nothing about Sonic-06 was good whatsoever... not even the music...

• Thumbs Up 1

My unpopular opinion: I think Sonic 1 is overrated. There are things in that game that I didn't particularly enjoy, I much prefer Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

My recent post in the unpopular opionons thread in the chit-chat sub-forum; I really should have placed here.

Here it is.

Inspired by my recent status, I feel that the control in Shadow the Hedgehog is not that bad. Whenever I let go of the control stick, Shadow instantly stops. By becoming accustomed to not pushing the stick all the way, unless you are sure you can go full speed without damage (such as when in boost mode), one can proceed through the levels at a decent, reasonably fast pace, without taking damage. You can definitely go faster than walking speed through an entire level, once you become used to how Shadow controls.

I'm not saying the control is perfect, Shadow at his top speed could control a bit better, but I feel that by being used to pressing the control stick midway, one can control Shadow at a fast pace (his skates are continually 'on') while still having control.

I appreciate what Sonic Team was trying to do, giving a greater degree of speed control than seen in previous games; it's just that shadow's maximum top speed is far too slippery and that is what people find to be an obstacle.

Shadow basically controls like a vehicle's gas pedal. When going down the highway, a driver does not continually put the pedal to the floor (usually); the pedal is kept in a middle position; one that offers a fast but safe speed and control. I believe the same applies to Shadow. It just feels very counter-intuitive to actually not press all the way on the stick, which can make the game feel very stop and go.

A player can avoid even more damage if one uses strafe jumping by holding down the R trigger and jumping. As mentioned in my status, it feels rather compelling to avoid entire enemy volleys by using this technique.

My unpopular opinion: I think Sonic 1 is overrated. There are things in that game that I didn't particularly enjoy, I much prefer Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Is Sonic 1 really looked upon that highly, though? I rarely ever hear about Sonic 1 being someone's preferred choice out of the original trilogy.

If anything I hear most people state how their favorite is either 2 or 3&K while acknowledging that 1 is still a decent platformer, only that it's a bit rough around the edges in a few areas.

• Thumbs Up 4

Really unpopular opinion: Though I dont mind other playable friends if done right, I perfer Sonic only.

Its not because of "fear". It is because playing with Sonic offers experiances to see him in a different way. Also we see more to the game itself as there is more thought put into the game. I also want to point out that it takes Sonic out of the basic box and allows him to be awesome again. Especially in Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World. 

it also allows friends to do other things. They dont need to be playable to be relvent in the story. Tails was more than a help in the lastest Sonic only games. I mean his heroics were shown more. He saved Sonics life many times and he bulid machines to help advance (though there were times his help wasnt that needed). Sonic friends are always there to cheer him on. He needs them to be there for him and they are.

Another is that they focus more on the game itself. The games are now what fans ask for. They want happy go lucky worlds with more thought and the levels and thats what we got.

Yes I perfer Sonic only playable. Most of the games with them playable friends didnt give me the experiance I got like the games I started with. I don't know why but I dont like it. 

I really wish they'd age up the characters in this series. Sonic's been one of my favorite franchises since I was in elementary school, and of course he and everyone else was older than me. Like I remember Sonic Adventure 2 battle was coming out and it was Sonic's 10th anniversary, and as a kid I was like wow Sonic's 10 years old I can't wait to be 10 like him. 

But now, being older myself, it's pretty ridiculous that Sonic's best friend is 8. Who is also a genius by the way. Vector has his own detective agency only at 20, who hired a 6 year old to work for him. Maybe Vector is friends with Charmy's parents so he got in easy? But then we never see anyone's parents. Maybe Charmy was adopted by Vector. Also, how long has the Chaotix detective agency been around? Surely it can't be more than 6 years, that'd leave Charmy at the tender age of 0. Unless he was hired relatively recently, at maybe 4 or 5? Not that that's any less ridiculous. Then it begs the question, how much time has passed at all in this series from the start? Amy is 12 who adores Sonic at 15. Maybe that's why he doesn't always reciprocate her feelings? But it's not like he doesn't mind the company of younger kids since like I said his closest friend is almost half his age.

This isn't a very serious problem, nor is it something that I'm actively thinking about, but man when it comes to mind, it'd make so much more sense if everyone aged 5 or 10 years. Oh well, that's what I get for loving a franchise that's meant for kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm talking in terms of fandom here

Popular Opinion I Agree With: Sonic 3AK is the best Sonic game. Bet no one saw that one coming.

Popular Opinion I Disagree With: Sonic Unleashed is a good game. Personally I thought Sonic Unleashed was terrible for reasons I cannot even begin to get into.

Unpopular Opinion I Agree With: Sonic Adventure is overall not a very good game, although I do think it's excellent in places and has probably the best 3D Sonic concept.

Unpopular Opinion I Disagree With: Sonic Generations was ruined by botched Classics Physics. Sonic Generations is still an amazing game despite the flaws of Modern Controls and Classic Physics.

I'm talking in terms of critics here

Popular Opinion I Agree With: Sonic Generations was the best Sonic game since Sonic and Knuckles. Absolutely correct!

Popular Opinion I Disagree With: Where to start? Sonic's friends all suck and ruined Sonic. Sonic's friends are not the cause of the series' downfall and the ridiculous criticism of them is complete hysteria.

Unpopular Opinion I Agree With: Sonic Adventure is not utterly broken. Sonic Adventure, whilst being very flawed and not very good, is not a barely playable broken mess. 

Unpopular Opinion I Disagree With: Maybe Sonic has always sucked and we were just suckered in by flash marketing. Complete and utter revisionist BS

• Thumbs Up 2

Popular opinion: I loved the boosting games, I think it captured the real "speed" style of gameplay for Sonic, and SEGA needs to consider using it again.

Unpopular opinion: I think Sonic Unleashed has had the overall best story in the entire Sonic series.

Really unpopular opinion: Though I dont mind other playable friends if done right, I perfer Sonic only.

Its not because of "fear". It is because playing with Sonic offers experiances to see him in a different way. Also we see more to the game itself as there is more thought put into the game. I also want to point out that it takes Sonic out of the basic box and allows him to be awesome again. Especially in Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World. 

it also allows friends to do other things. They dont need to be playable to be relvent in the story. Tails was more than a help in the lastest Sonic only games. I mean his heroics were shown more. He saved Sonics life many times and he bulid machines to help advance (though there were times his help wasnt that needed). Sonic friends are always there to cheer him on. He needs them to be there for him and they are.

Another is that they focus more on the game itself. The games are now what fans ask for. They want happy go lucky worlds with more thought and the levels and thats what we got.

Yes I perfer Sonic only playable. Most of the games with them playable friends didnt give me the experiance I got like the games I started with. I don't know why but I dont like it. 

Small rant incoming. So will put it in a spoiler.

It's only ya opinions I know and understand, nothing wrong with you feeling any way you want... However so many things that bother me here about your post. It doesn't bother me Sonic is your favorite whatsoever... But how you put down the other characters and think Sonic is the only meaningful character is that gets me.

First the whole reducing the other characters to just "Sonic friends" thing is pretty demeaning to the other characters, and is something that bothers me when I see people say it far to much... it's often said as if they are only accessories to Sonic... just because Sonic is the series main character overall doesn't mean he should be the only character that matters. and each character in a fictional way has their own life that obviously goes on even when Sonic isn't there... plus everybody has different taste in characters, we shouldn't always be forced to 1 character that not everybody is going to prefer.

Having only Sonic playable doesn't allow them to make the games better much to be honest, that's mostly just a poor excuse. And besides that, they just been replacing the other cast with power-ups and gimmicks "Wisps" and or some of those games had a 2nd character regardless of the fact it's just another Sonic. "Werehog/Classic Sonic" ....And the games overall except for a small few bits sure as hell are not what many fans asked for.

And somehow I don't believe you when you say nothing of what you say is out of fear. examples is when you keep saying stuff like you don't want Sonic to be treated as a idiot in different topics... when nobody was calling him one...

And having Sonic be the only character playable in the games doesn't give him real character growth. Sure it could if they wanted it to... but they don't and won't. Also he doesn't need to replace the other characters and their skills for himself to be a good character. Sonic isn't a god... he doesn't need to be great at everything to be a good character. And I fail to see why Sonic is the only one who could use character development... as if the other characters don't need it? And people like me don't want other characters just relevant in the stories... these are games! While story does matter... what matters more to us is playing as these other characters if they are going to be there...

Note: Story would matter more in the series if the stories were actually not poorly made so often....

In Sonic generations it was just embarrassing how regardless that so many of the other character cast was there... Yet they did nothing to help save the world... which was lame and not logical...

• Thumbs Up 5

Nope nothing I say is fear here because its stupid to be scared over these things and I'm a normal fan so yeah.

i respect what you say but I hate when someone tells me that because I want Sonic by himself that I sm scared.  

I understand people they have different tastes and I said i didnt mind  them being playable if they dont intrude on Sonic. 

I dunno if this is popular or not, but the insta-shield is actually very useful if you know how to use it/time it right.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nope nothing I say is fear here because its stupid to be scared over these things and I'm a normal fan so yeah.

i respect what you say but I hate when someone tells me that because I want Sonic by himself that I sm scared.  

I understand people they have different tastes and I said i didnt mind  them being playable if they dont intrude on Sonic. 

No offense, but the way you tend to express concern about Sonic being respected, and saying things that imply the other characters would take that away from him, it does give that impression. You just made a thread where you complained about Sonic having to team up with Tails in Sonic 4: Episode II and felt that it was limiting to Sonic. Of course, I can't speak for the game because I haven't played it--maybe the team aspect was just poorly done and didn't play well--but the way you described it just sounded like dissatisfaction with another character sharing the spotlight with Sonic. Before that you made a thread where Sonic and Knuckles should team up but Sonic needs to do things he's shown no inclination toward to prove he's not "stupid." (i.e. make devices--Tails's thing) You made a thread where the other characters could fight the final boss, but they need Super Sonic to carry them around and throw them at it.

You say you don't want the other characters intruding on Sonic, but you seem fine with the opposite from what I've observed.

Look, this isn't an attack or an attempt to "call you out" or any of that, Sonikku. But I look back at these discussions (and I'm mentioning them as they are recent) and I notice a trend in some of the things you say, which I listed above. It's one thing if playable/solo Sonic is your preference; that is perfectly fine and acceptable, and no one will ever begrudge you for that. However, your favoritism toward Sonic rubs people like me the wrong way because you have a tendency of propping him up at the expense of the other characters (again, see why people disagree with making Sonic do things Tails does because it makes him look "not stupid"). You should know that your preference will never be taken away, and that when people argue about wanting the other characters to do more, it has nothing to do with diminishing Sonic's role. It's the opposite. It's adding value to the supporting cast, showing they are capable of both having Sonic's back and handling things on their own when they need to.

I respect your preference, Sonikku, but you'll have to forgive me, I just feel like you're not understanding what people are saying about the characters and their roles in relation to Sonic's. Believe it or not, there's plenty that can be compromised on with your ideas.

No offense, but the way you tend to express concern about Sonic being respected, and saying things that imply the other characters would take that away from him, it does give that impression. You just made a thread where you complained about Sonic having to team up with Tails in Sonic 4: Episode II and felt that it was limiting to Sonic. Of course, I can't speak for the game because I haven't played it--maybe the team aspect was just poorly done and didn't play well--but the way you described it just sounded like dissatisfaction with another character sharing the spotlight with Sonic. Before that you made a thread where Sonic and Knuckles should team up but Sonic needs to do things he's shown no inclination toward to prove he's not "stupid." (i.e. make devices--Tails's thing) You made a thread where the other characters could fight the final boss, but they need Super Sonic to carry them around and throw them at it.

You say you don't want the other characters intruding on Sonic, but you seem fine with the opposite from what I've observed.

Look, this isn't an attack or an attempt to "call you out" or any of that, Sonikku. But I look back at these discussions (and I'm mentioning them as they are recent) and I notice a trend in some of the things you say, which I listed above. It's one thing if playable/solo Sonic is your preference; that is perfectly fine and acceptable, and no one will ever begrudge you for that. However, your favoritism toward Sonic rubs people like me the wrong way because you have a tendency of propping him up at the expense of the other characters (again, see why people disagree with making Sonic do things Tails does because it makes him look "not stupid"). You should know that your preference will never be taken away, and that when people argue about wanting the other characters to do more, it has nothing to do with diminishing Sonic's role. It's the opposite. It's adding value to the supporting cast, showing they are capable of both having Sonic's back and handling things on their own when they need to.

I respect your preference, Sonikku, but you'll have to forgive me, I just feel like you're not understanding what people are saying about the characters and their roles in relation to Sonic's. Believe it or not, there's plenty that can be compromised on with your ideas.

First I want to say that I shouldnt have said what I say. I was in a bad way because of my Sonic 4 deleting itself so I am sorry for that.

Im trying to be balanced Im trying to understand. I just didnt want the hero I grow to love to not get to be Sonic anymore. I understand what your sayig and I want Sonic's friends to be there. its just them being "extoridnary" again while Sonic's stuffs is taken away is not a good felling but I am willing to deal.

First I want to say that I shouldnt have said what I say. I was in a bad way because of my Sonic 4 deleting itself so I am sorry for that.

Im trying to be balanced Im trying to understand. I just didnt want the hero I grow to love to not get to be Sonic anymore. I understand what your sayig and I want Sonic's friends to be there. its just them being "extoridnary" again while Sonic's stuffs is taken away is not a good felling but I am willing to deal.

Why is it a problem for them to be extraordinary, like Sonic, though? What does this take away from Sonic as a character? You say things like this, but you don't explain what it means. I'd like to understand, but I just don't see it.

I say again, letting the other characters do more than be Sonic's cheering section, does not diminish Sonic's role. It only adds value to them, and what they can do both for Sonic and themselves. You're worried over nothing and I'm trying to make you see that, but I don't know how else to convince you.

Why is it a problem for them to be extraordinary, like Sonic, though? What does this take away from Sonic as a character? You say things like this, but you don't explain what it means. I'd like to understand, but I just don't see it.

I say again, letting the other characters do more than be Sonic's cheering section, does not diminish Sonic's role. It only adds value to them, and what they can do both for Sonic and themselves. You're worried over nothing and I'm trying to make you see that, but I don't know how else to convince you.

When I play the older games Like Advance for a example or Sonic 3 and K, it seems to me like Sonic is basic and everyone else gets the cool flying or gliding powers. I understand they can actually do that but I want them to give Sonic another cool move to balance out. That's what I am saying. I want them to be awesome like Sonic. I want them to have equal respect to. I dont know why but then it seemed to me they got better stuff then Sonic did.

And even in Sonic 06 Sonic was basic and everyone else had cool stuff. I understand that its selfish for me to want Sonic to have eveything to himself. I want him to be the hero I grown to look up to.

When I play the older games Like Advance for a example or Sonic 3 and K, it seems to me like Sonic is basic and everyone else gets the cool flying or gliding powers. I understand they can actually do that but I want them to give Sonic another cool move to balance out. That's what I am saying. I want them to be awesome like Sonic. I want them to have equal respect to. I dont know why but then it seemed to me they got better stuff then Sonic did.

And even in Sonic 06 Sonic was basic and everyone else had cool stuff. I understand that its selfish for me to want Sonic to have eveything to himself. I want him to be the hero I grown to look up to.

What is your definition of "cool move", I mean what you say is maybe partially true in Advance 1 but not that much on 2 and 3 and in S3&K didn't the insta-shield and added shieldabilities cool enough? I think that they were in a way as "cool" as Tails flight or Knuckles gliding and wall-climbing.

Sonic 06? Let's see, what Sonic had what made him better than other character? He was easily faster than majority of the characters, he had homing attack which already makes combat much better than with most of the characters and bounceattack which made healthbar-enemies more tolerable and those broken gem-abilities which were probably the best thing in the game.

I don't care what anyone says, when I discovered Sonic's air dash way back in Sonic Advance I thought it was the coolest thing. Learning to use it properly, along with the insta shield is incredibly satisfying.