Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

So does this mean if I talk about it enough, Flynn will do a Universe arc focused on what I want?

"Knuckles & Amy arc, Knuckles & Amy arc, Knuckles & Amy arc" I KNOW YOU'RE WATCHING FLYNN, DO IT YOU MAGNIFICENT SON OF A BITCH!

Edited by Kuzu the Boloedge
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Meh, both of them were a nice concept executed kinda dull. Both of them have kinda dull personalities, and their face turns were kinda blunt and without a great deal of setup, mostly just because they want another echidna for Knuckles to bond with (we have enough 'easily forgiven anti heroes' anyway). I might credit Shade SLIGHTLY because she has a more unique design though, not to mention the Nocturnous were mercifully less convoluted in backstory and concept than the Archie echidnas.

She finds out that her leader that she's faithfully been serving has been lying to her this whole time, then he tries to murder her, and then Knuckles saves her. This is after she's already been confronted twice by Sonic & Friends beforehand.... Checks out to me. Not sure what kind of a nuanced setup you were looking for?

She's a powerful, high-ranking officer in the army of the enemy forces (making her the first female in a Sonic game that's in a leadership role that isn't just a princess, I think?). She's highly disciplined, putting her in direct opposition to Rouge the Bat, which causes for some good "love-triangular" tension. And she was able to easily beat the crap out of Knuckles by herself, if I recall -- something that Sonic isn't even really capable of.

I dunno. I think Shade is an extremely interesting character. I reluctantly gotta admit, Penders was actually kinda on to something, when he made Julie-Su back in the day. Bioware just totally swooped in, polished the crap outta her, and made her much better...

My point is that Shade is awesome and I wanna see more of her!

Edited by Chaos Controller

Meh, both of them were a nice concept executed kinda dull. Both of them have kinda dull personalities, and their face turns were kinda blunt and without a great deal of setup, mostly just because they want another echidna for Knuckles to bondarrow-10x10.png with (we have enough 'easily forgiven anti heroes' anyway). I might credit Shade SLIGHTLY because she has a more unique design though, not to mention the Nocturnous were mercifully less convoluted in backstory and concept than the Archie echidnas.

Agree.

Another popular/unpopular ones:

I like how in archie comics they more go with Sonic ,Tails, Amy as a team while Knuckles goes off on his own adventures. I'm not sure how to feel about Freedom Fighters, thought.

She finds out that her leader that she's faithfully been serving has been lying to her this whole time, then he tries to murder her, and then Knuckles saves her. This is after she's already been confronted twice by Sonic & Friends beforehand.... Checks out to me. Not sure what kind of a nuanced setup you were looking for?
She's a powerful, high-ranking officer in the army of the enemy forces (making her the first female in a Sonic game that's in a leadership role that isn't just a princess, I think?). She's highly disciplined, putting her in direct opposition to Rouge the Bat, which causes for some good "love-triangular" tension. And she was able to easily beat the crap out of Knuckles by herself, if I recall -- something that Sonic isn't even really capable of.

I dunno. I think Shade is an extremely interesting character. I reluctantly gotta admit, Penders was actually kinda on to something, when he made Julie-Su back in the day. Bioware just totally swooped in, polished the crap outta her, and made her much better...

My point is that Shade is awesome and I wanna see more of her!

There isn't much there along the lines of actual personality however. Just another 'stoic, morally conflicted anti hero' type, and even in that she's diluted compared to other examples in the series, which to some is really saying something. Heck that wasn't anything to remotely suggest even this personality until Ix dropped the bombshell in front of her, before then she was just a generic high ranking lackey who would have gladly watched Sonic and co get slowly beaten to death.

Since she gets over her life's work being a lie pretty quickly too, I don't really know what she could have after her face turn outside 'another echidna to bond with Knuckles and share more mythos'. Do the two characters even remotely mesh? What's there exactly?

Shade COULD be awesome, but there's barely anything to her to make her all that endearing. What personality she has others in the series display ten times more. Other than that she has an okay design and concept, but is ridiculously bare bones.

Ironically despite a far more convoluted process, Julie Su didn't actually have a great deal more in personality, par a temper to match Knuckles.

Oh and Knuckles has been beaten up easily by nearly every single female in the series at least once, so nothing significant there either. It's like Eggman being swatted away by the next one shot villain. After a while you just start to feel sorry for the poor guy than think this new character is any more cool or significant.

Edited by E-122-Psi

There isn't much there along the lines of actual personality however. Just another 'stoic, morally conflicted anti hero' type, and even in that she's diluted compared to other examples in the series, which to some is really saying something. Heck that wasn't anything to remotely suggest even this personality until Ix dropped the bombshell in front of her, before then she was just a generic high ranking lackey who would have gladly watched Sonic and co get slowly beaten to death.

"Stoic" and "morally-conflicted" definitely qualify as pretty solid personality traits though, even if they're traits that don't personally appeal to you.

Shadow's probably the only other character that comes to mind that has a somewhat similar personality to her, and even he's a lot less disciplined and a lot more aloof and arrogant. "Subdued" and "controlled" are personality traits too, ya know.

Since she gets over her life's work being a lie pretty quickly too, I don't really know what she could have after her face turn outside 'another echidna to bond with Knuckles and share more mythos'. Do the two characters even remotely mesh? What's there exactly?

I dunno. I'm sure we'd find out, if she started appearing in more games.

Ironically despite a far more convoluted process, Julie Su didn't actually have a great deal more in personality, par a temper to match Knuckles.

But... "having a bad temper" qualifies as a personality trait. Again, just because it's not a trait you particularly care for personally doesn't mean it's non-existent.

Oh and Knuckles has been beaten up easily by nearly every single female in the series at least once, so nothing significant there either. It's like Eggman being swatted away by the next one shot villain. After a while you just start to feel sorry for the poor guy than think this new character is any more cool or significant.

Uh... wut? Since when??

Edited by Chaos Controller

I love Shade like crazy, but even I'd be hardpressed to deny that she's been anything more than just Ms. Exposition who gives infodumps on the Twilight Cage.

She's a useful character in her own right, and to this day I find it a waste not to use her, but she needs a do-over of her characterization.

Uh... wut? Since when??

Amy pimp-slap him right to the tree with just one hand, Blaze owned him in cutscene, Rouge just troll him all the time, and even Cream made fun out of him. So yeah. Thought, what we know from chronicles is that  Shade didn't beat him alone. So I guess that downgrades her in that regard, since she coudn't beat on her own the biggest joke from the cast.

Most of the personality traits listed DO appeal to me, it's just Shade handled them in the dullest most superficial manner possible. It's like their approach was 'we've done it a thousand times now in the series so why even bother?'. E-102 Gamma, a freakin' robot, shown more developed emotional conflict than Shade ever did, whose turn almost seemed like an ass pull.

Subdued and controlled can apply as traits, but again they're not that developed, and without being such they seem merely an excuse for a dull acting character. Her most developed flaw seems to be being naive, which even then is subdued by wanting her to be taken seriously (compared to Silver, who has the same shtick, but is at least intentionally portrayed as short sighted and dorky to a degree).

Temper is one of those personality traits that can be handled sympathetically or tediously with a very fine line between either. Julie Su, like Shade was pretty undeveloped outside these areas, and even then her temper went from an insecurity shell to Sonic X Amy's 'look, she gets pissy at boys and beats the tar out of them. Isn't she awesome?' shtick.

Edited by E-122-Psi

Ya know what, since we're on the subject of characterization.

Unpopular Opinion: The series really does not do much to flesh out its characters aside from a few token moments, most of which don't really care over from game to game. Not that this is necessarily a game-breaking deal for me, but I notice most traits about the cast tend to be informed or outright non-existent. Like...why is Eggman feminist again?

• Thumbs Up 8

Ya know what, since we're on the subject of characterization.

Unpopular Opinion: The series really does not do much to flesh out its characters aside from a few token moments, most of which don't really care over from game to game. Not that this is necessarily a game-breaking deal for me, but I notice most traits about the cast tend to be informed or outright non-existent. Like...why is Eggman feminist again?

That's an unpopular opinion? I thought most people believed that (me being one of them)?

Like...why is Eggman feminist again?

Because it's apparently a mistranslation. Even still, he's not shown as a womaniser either so eh. 

Then again, I can't even find the dang profile in Japanese so I can't verify whether it is a mistranslation or not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well there was the OVA where he was practically lusting over Sera and wanted to marry her, but I guess that's better left unsaid since not only because 'it's the OVA' but also that Sera was obviously way younger than him.

There's also the little matter of him saying, and I quote, ""Hmm... I never thought a girl could be so tough! But I'll never give up this last Sol Emerald!", to Blaze during the end of her storyline in Sonic Rush. 

And going for the 'Depiction of Eggman in Other Media', in Sonic X he complimented Rouge's boobs as a means of dodging a question she asked... got his face beat in for it too. Much like the OVA that probably shouldn't count, but that one was directly overseen by Sonic Team, so food for thought. 

Either way, yeeeeah... there's really no in-game evidence that he's a feminist.

Edited by horridus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Much like the OVA that probably shouldn't count, but that one was directly overseen by Sonic Team, so food for thought.

The OVA was supervised by Sonic Team too, wasn't it? In fact, wasn't one of the directors a member of Sonic Team or something?

Honestly, I totally agree that the characters aren't very well fleshed out in the games, and many facts about them established in profiles never get used in an actual game (Tails' fear of thunder or Knuckles' love of grapes, anyone?). It was fine in the Classic era when there was no dialogue or complex cutscenes, but now it's just a sad wasted opportunity. It's a real shame, too, because I feel like there's lots of potential for the Sonic characters to be interesting, which is a major reason I love them so much, but in practicality it's almost never utilized very well.

Knuckles' love of grapes, anyone?

But that has been used. As a tiny reference through literally just having grape tree* assets outside of Sky Sanctuary, but it has been used!

*Somebody at Sonic Team flunked botany, I can tell. 

• Thumbs Up 5

The feminist thing was a mistranslation.

His profile in the Japanese version of the Heroes manual calls him a womaniser.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, assuming that this isn't just another informed character trait of his, I guess this is why Eggman Nega eventually came to be.

• Thumbs Up 4

A womanizer? Boy, that poor drip thinks he's a lady killer... almost made me think he got a hold of some giggle water.

On a different note, I was kinda curious on why no one seemed to make use of Tails' astraphobia. I might have to give it a shot somehow, but... I'm drifting off topic.

....Well, it has merit at the  very least...disturbing, brain bleaching merit, but merit nonetheless.

....Well, it has merit at the  very least...disturbing, brain bleaching merit, but merit nonetheless.

• Thumbs Up 4

Eh, I pretty much guessed that Eggman's definition of feminism would be pretty ass-backwards.

172px-Sonic_Labyrinth_JP_Artwork_eggman.

Do you like what you see? This is my gift to you... ladies...

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm pretty certain that any sense of social egalitarianism in him would simply be more the result of his own sense of superiority... all creatures are equal, but more importantly, they're all equal in that they are utterly inferior to him. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm pretty certain that any sense of social egalitarianism in him would simply be more the result of his own sense of superiority... all creatures are equal, but more importantly, they're all equal in that they are utterly inferior to him. 

You now have me imagining him elected to a leadership position because the people heard about how "ALL PEOPLE ARE EQUAL..." from him, but only after he is elected and becomes a dictator that everyone hears the part he didn't include: "...IN THAT THEY ARE EQUALLY LESS THAN ME! >:D!"

• Thumbs Up 3

Eh, I pretty much guessed that Eggman's definition of feminism would be pretty ass-backwards.

172px-Sonic_Labyrinth_JP_Artwork_eggman.

Do you like what you see? This is my gift to you... ladies...

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Make. Pingas. Joke.

In all seriousness though Eggman is pretty much a textbook case of narcissistic personality disorder (with a dash of "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" thanks to his 300 IQ giving him the means to fuel his power fantasies and make them a reality instead of restricting them to relatively harmless pipe dreams and delusions of grandeur) so it figures that he'd think himself God's gift to all the women of the world.

• Thumbs Up 5