Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Eh, I think Free Riders killed that side series dead. Which is unfortunate as the Babylon Rogues are now at high risk of sharing the fate of the one-offs like Emerl and such (not scrapped and never referred to again, but not part of the recurring cast). 

At least GE remembers the rogues. :>

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ehh tbh I'm fine with not having another Riders game. Riders 1 was meh at best, dunno about Zero Gravity, and Free Riders was DOA. That said, I won't really care if another dies get made.

Big fan of the first game, Zero Gravity had some good stuff too, Free Riders ruined by Kinect. That's the way I see it ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Then could we all agree that another Riders game would be great? Just..leave out the motion controls this time, okay? c:

• Thumbs Up 5

I would like Sally Acorn from the cartoons and comic's to show up in a game. I don't know how popular or unpopular that is but I'm guessing that it will be unpopular.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would like Sally Acorn from the cartoons and comic's to show up in a game. I don't know how popular or unpopular that is but I'm guessing that it will be unpopular.

Me to. I love Sal! I would want her to be in a game with Sonic :)

very unpopular especially back when Sally was a fairly hated character. ( not to mention those ridiculous Sonally vs Sonamy shipping wars). Anyway it's a terrible idea to put Sally in the games, first off if you really want her in them then you'd need to completely rewrite her story in the game continuity so she'd fit in, second off if Sally can be in why not anybody else? Why add just her when you can have everyone else from Satam and call it a day? and third off, what's the point? People where already whining about the "sh*tty friends" and are clinging on for Mighty and Nack to come back and i don't think a character that's never even been in a game deserves any better.

and don't even get me started on Cosmo...

Edited by Dan-Dude
  • Thumbs Up 1

I probably wouldn't mind having Sally as a cameo, BUT I think she should only be a regular girl with decent smarts in said cameo, not a princess with more skills and talents than half of the Freedom Fighters combined, and she should be with Bunnie as a partial foil/someone to bounce off of. I can imagine a small cameo/dialogue where Bunnie is talking about Sonic, and Sally scoffs about him, acting as if he is overrated and too cocky for her. But then when she thinks no one is looking, she secretly brings out a photo of Sonic and pines for him...until she realizes Bunnie is watching, to which she then acts with embarassment/denial about it.

Outside of that, she shouldn't really have any big parts in the main game series, since we're already having trouble getting the regular characters a decent role in the games as it is.

Edited by SenEDtor Missile

I never cared for the Freedom Fighters until after the reboot and I started to love them since. Their new designs are incredible and are so much better than the old ones, it makes them much more SEGA appropriate and i definitely wouldn't mind them being written into the game canon as of now.:D

• Thumbs Up 3

I always thought Sal was a great character. Yes Sonally was written badly and she was overpowered but its not Sally's fault. It was the writers who messed up then. So it is annoying when people blame her for Sonics character and Sonamy etc when its the writers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

very unpopular especially back when Sally was a fairly hated character. ( not to mention those ridiculous Sonally vs Sonamy shipping wars). Anyway it's a terrible idea to put Sally in the games, first off if you really want her in them then you'd need to completely rewrite her story in the game continuity so she'd fit in, second off if Sally can be in why not anybody else? Why add just her when you can have everyone else from Satam and call it a day? and third off, what's the point? People where already whining about the "sh*tty friends" and are clinging on for Mighty and Nack to come back and i don't think a character that's never even been in  a game deserves any better.

and don't even get me started on Cosmo...

You wouldn't need to rewrite her story because Satam and game universe's are separate. I'd be happy with a cameo something like she is one of the mobians trapped in Robotnik's prison pod thing when you open it.

Or Sega could make a game set in the Satam universe which is sort of like Elder Scrolls (or Fall out series) but set on Mobius. Where you create your own team of freedom fighters or villains. So you can fight Robotnik or do whatever you want and sonic and the freedom fighters cameo.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really wouldn't care to see Sally become a permanent character in the games, mainly because I don't know what role she could serve to the game series, but I would like to see her and the other Freedom Fighters as a cameo.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm against characters from adaptations crossing over into the games simply because it would be unnecessarily controversial, and the fandom's division is bad enough as it is. And apart from that, even though I like them just fine, I'm just not sure they'd add much. There's already a million and one concepts and characters in the games canon that aren't being utilized, anyway. Admittedly, though, I'm sure that there could be a lot of fun in playing the post-reboot Freedom Fighters, with their new and improved abilities, in a game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always thought a game that loosely adapted the Satam story into the games world for a one off would have been a fun idea (like Eggman thinks up the robotocizer and uses it to make Robotropolis; the capital of Eggmanland, over Sally and co's world until Sonic discovers them). That's the problem though, it sounds neat on paper, but execution has always been the BIG 'but' in the Sonic franchise. I don't really trust Sally to be adapted devotedly and accurately enough in the games. Why should I? I don't think the comics have in ages. Even the original show Flanderized and glorified her after a while. If more story centric medias can't get her right, why would the games for secondary material.

On a somewhat unpopular note, I don't think the Freedom Fighters work as serious characters. I mean they can work having dramatic development, but I don't think there actual personalities are interesting without quirks. Their funnest characterisations were the early comics and episodes of the cartoon. As they focused more on the serious and darkness of their backstories and what not, they downplayed most of what made them fun, and never really regained it, not even in the recent lighter comics. Anyone remember when Sally was a pompous fuddy duddy, or Rotor was a loveable dork?

I will also add that while making Antoine more competent seemed logical, he's just kinda bland not having delusions of grandeur as his common vice.

Edited by E-122-Psi
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if it's popular or unpopular, but in Sonic Heroes, I think Lost Jungle is the hardest stage just because of the race against the crocodile in the end. I always die at that part.

On a somewhat unpopular note, I don't think the Freedom Fighters work as serious characters. I mean they can work having dramatic development, but I don't think there actual personalities are interesting without quirks. Their funnest characterisations were the early comics and episodes of the cartoon. As they focused more on the serious and darkness of their backstories and what not, they downplayed most of what made them fun, and never really regained it, not even in the recent lighter comics. Anyone remember when Sally was a pompous fuddy duddy, or Rotor was a loveable dork?

Not really, and what i do remember of those things were overly cheesy and cringeworthy back during those days, and a lot more forgettable compared to their more serious characterizations later down the line. And that's really saying something about the humor. You can chalk that up to the serious portrayals standing out more, but that only says a lot about which had the weaker impression on people.

Not really, and what i do remember of those things were overly cheesy and cringeworthy back during those days, and a lot more forgettable compared to their more serious characterizations later down the line. And that's really saying something about the humor. You can chalk that up to the serious portrayals standing out more, but that only says a lot about which had the weaker impression on people.

In fairness, what makes the serious portrayals 'stand out' very often isn't considered positive either. Half the fan base doesn't have a single nice thing to say about the contemporary 'serious' Sally, and a lot of queries to Bunnie and Rotor are over how undeveloped they are. Neither had that good execution, but I feel like the more quirky portrayals at least had the better ability to stand out for fun reasons.

I'm not saying they have to be gag characters, I'm just saying I'd like them to have some sort of whimsy again.

Related to that, while I agree odd mandates for the comic are kinda silly (eg. no showing of age for the games cast), I support a lot of them, including the one saying the SEGA cast must remain somewhat recognisable from their games selves. I say this because, from what has happened since the mandate was revealed suggested they still have a valid amount of leeway in what they can do, just they can't alter them entirely. It feels like the comic has the ability for subtle development and hidden depths, just they have to keep the basic quirks of the SEGA cast, which to me feels like more reasonable development than just changing them altogether like they have some of the ones they have free reign on, or some of the weird or cringeworthy turns they had on some beforehand (eg. King Sonic).

Edited by E-122-Psi

In fairness, what makes the serious portrayals 'stand out' very often isn't considered positive either. Half the fan base doesn't have a single nice thing to say about the contemporary 'serious' Sally, and a lot of queries to Bunnie and Rotor are over how undeveloped they are. Neither had that good execution, but I feel like the more quirky portrayals at least had the better ability to stand out for fun reasons.

I'm not saying they have to be gag characters, I'm just saying I'd like them to have some sort of whimsy again.

That depends on what part we're talking about.

Sally has always seemed a base breaker, and at this point, anything that happens to her is always gonna have someone criticize her character whether you had humor, quirks, or whatever. And depending on which verse you're talking about, Bunnie and Rotor were actually one of the more developed characters in the comics up until the reboot (the cartoons I'll concede they weren't very developed) - now Bunnie's history has been wiped, but Rotor's still got some development as of late.

And I'm not saying that characters should be very serious, just that the writing needs to be balanced, or at the very least strong. Quirky portrayals don't stand out very well if they come off as juvenile and cringeworthy and often forgettable, the same holds true for serious portrayals when they come off as stone cold and straight faced - we've seen that much in the comics post-Endgame of the latter's problems until Ian came in and balanced it (admittedly with some faults, extending all the way to World's Unite poor handling, but much better than most current portrayals out of this franchise). We're still dealing with cartoons, and they're capable of being both without being stupid about it. We've seen the problems that come from both being poorly handled as much as we've seen them well done.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I think the problem is that both cases tend to go for a lot of cliched writing errors for both that lead them to come off as one dimensional. I mean it kinda bugs me that within most of their 20 decades of activity, Rotor and Bunnie have rarely made any sort of personality based chemistry with most of the cast. They don't merge with anyone based on flaws or foliage, they're just good friends with everyone. Even Bunnie in marrying someone is as blandly perfect and saccharine a relationship as you can get. Any crappy fake character can just be a good friend.

0HJRHrR.png

I may defend the more comedic interpretations, because, while undeveloped, they had elements that verged on breaking this. Rotor could be clumsy or awkward or Bunnie could be hot headed. Right now they don't have anything.

I get what you mean by being a compromise, and having comedic development without being a gimmicky gag character and still having serious points, but even the current comics fail to make that compromise, or do so superficially and pathetically when they try to (eg. Sally being a bad cook, oh wowwee).

Edited by E-122-Psi

I think the problem is that both cases tend to go for a lot of cliched writing errors for both that lead them to come off as one dimensional.

Dude, first off, do you have any idea what "one dimensional" even means?

Being a one trick pony. Early Antoine was an arrogant coward, but that was pretty much his thing. Later Antoine was a strong action hero, but that is also pretty much his thing. You try to point out something else about either you'd likely come out short, because they use so many cliches and formulaic approaches in being comical or serious respectively that there's little else to say about them. Let's do lots of slapstick and one liners, or let's do lots of action and circumstantial angst basically.

Edited by E-122-Psi

Being a one trick pony.

No.

A one-dimensional character is a character that you only know about their physical appearance. Basically, they're background and scenery. You know, those random people that walk around the focal characters in a scene, but barely do anything more than that? You basically only know one aspect of that character, which is the dimension of that character.

A two-dimensional character is one you know about their sociology, things like their environment and history. How they lived, how well off or poor they were, where they work and what they do, marriage life, social life - basically their history.

A three-dimensional character is one you know psychologically, or their mentality. Are they arrogant and cocky, are they stoic and serious, are they goofy and clumsy, are they aloof, friendly, cowardly, abrasive and mean. And so forth.

With all that in mind, Antoine, Sally, Bunnie, and Rotor, heck even Sonic, are - at this point - three-dimensional characters by default.

• Thumbs Up 4

I wouldn't go so far as three dimensional when I can't even pin down their traits. 

Sally

• 1st Dimension: Anthropomorphic brown chipmunk in blue jacket, shirt, and pants with braclets,
  • 2nd Dimension: princess of the Kingdom of Acorn turned leader of Freedom Fighters, has lots of friends, lived a rather privileged life as a child until it was taken away by the evil Doctor Robotnik who conquered her kingdom when she was a child
  • 3rd Dimension: headstrong, arrogant, brave, logical, charismatic, upfront, strong sense of justice

Rotor

• 1D: Anthropomorphic purple walrus with a yellow hat and utility belt
  • 2D: Son of a tribal leader of warriors in the arctic, was more of a tinker than a fighter, has issues with his abrasive father who didn't like him, left his tribe to pursue friendlier groups, has lots of friends and became the mechanic of the Freedom Fighters, created the Sky Patrol
  • 3D: Brave yet unsure of himself at times, high moral ethics (especially compared to his father), strong sense of justice but may often not think things through ( i.e. wanting to just steal the Chaos Emerald from Breezie which would make them not-so-heroic to the world, having Cream make coffee from a machine she didn't know how to use)

Antoine

• 1D: anthropomorphic brown coyote with a sword
  • 2D: once an exchange student to serve under a king, currently a Freedom Fighter serving as the team's swordsman, once had a crush on Princess Sally who he was sworn to protect from Dr. Robotnik, currently married to Bunnie D'Coolette nee Rabbot, has lots of friends, formerly antagonistic to Sonic, speaks with a french accent
  • 3D: Arrogant, once (and sometimes is) cowardly but often shows extreme levels of bravery when things are tense, very loving towards his wife,

Bunnie

• 1D: Anthropomorphic cyborg rabbit
  • 2D: Once had natrual limbs, but gain mechanical ones due to an incident, currently a freedom fighter as the team's heavy, speaks with a southern accent, has lots of friends, currently married to Antoine
  • 3D: Fight happy, sweet, brave, very loving towards her husband, direct

Litterally took me 4 minutes to come up with - and those are their basic traits.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm mixed as to whether many of those traits really make them vibrant or unique. Brave and heroic and having a strong sense of justice are kinda generic traits expectant of any cookie cutter hero. Some other more distinct traits also tend to be very inconsistent or diluted, or even in the form of compressed vices, eg. Sally goes from overconfident and reckless to incredibly cautious and doubting without many other traits gluing them together, also compare Rotor's occasional pragmatism mixed with his high moral ethics.

Edited by E-122-Psi

I'm mixed as to whether many of those traits really make them vibrant or unique.

The point was about them being "1 dimensional" instead of 2 or 3 dimensional, not vibrant or unique - and I added that those were just basic traits, not outstanding ones. Don't move the goalposts now.

• Thumbs Up 2