Awoo.

The topic of severely over-thinking things that don't really need to be overthought about...

SenEDDtor Missile

How about them rings? Remember in Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic Advance 3, Dr. Eggman used rings to power his robots instead of tiny animals as usual? That probably means rings carry an electric charge, or a form of energy that can be converted into electricity by a small generator fitted in the chassis of a robot.

Since Sonic seemingly uses considerably more energy per day than his diet should provide, do ya figure he's got some kind of ring-based photosynthesis going?

Maybe the rings are a biproduct of the Chaos Emeralds, like as the Emeralds generate all that Chaos Energy, some parts of it may take the form of a gold ring about the size of your wrist. Or whatever size the rings are.

The Chaos Emeralds are also the cause for the unnatural landscape in the Zones. The emeralds are responsible for the springs, rollercoaster-esque highways and loops, floating platforms, star posts, etc.

I remember someone else (Forgot who it was) suggesting that his metabolism and immune system is so good at making use of energy from food and purging his system of free radicals generated by such immense amounts of exercise that it's the reason why he's so full of energy and has such an extreme level of physical fitness.

Adding to that about his anatomy, the reason he doesn't explode upon impact and seems pretty okay after a massive fall or force is because his molecules shake so rapidly that it makes him immune to such problems where the molecules would end up splitting apart upon impact.

Adding to that about his anatomy, the reason he doesn't explode upon impact and seems pretty okay after a massive fall or force is because his molecules shake so rapidly that it makes him immune to such problems where the molecules would end up splitting apart upon impact.

Interestingly, there is something weird up with Sonic's molecules if you take what a SEGA rep had to say as the equivalent of "Word of God".

I distinctly remember that there's a video out there that has a SEGA rep answering questions about Sonic Colours before it was released. When he was explaining the whole shebang about the Wisp gimmick and how Sonic uses them, he stated that when Sonic comes in contact with Hyper Go-On energy that the Wisps contain, it causes his molecular structure to change which results in alternate forms i.e Hover, Rocket, Void, Frenzy, Laser, Burst, Drill, Spikes and Cube.

How about them rings? Remember in Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic Advance 3, Dr. Eggman used rings to power his robots instead of tiny animals as usual? That probably means rings carry an electric charge, or a form of energy that can be converted into electricity by a small generator fitted in the chassis of a robot.

Since Sonic seemingly uses considerably more energy per day than his diet should provide, do ya figure he's got some kind of ring-based photosynthesis going?

Rings in general are pretty mysterious when you think about it. I mean at the end of the day, they're for all intents and purposes Sonic's version of coins, but that's no fun for this topic.

Think about it, Sonic doesn't just collect rings for the hell of it. As long as he possesses but one of them, he is functionally invincible. But the second he loses it, he is more vulnerable than a sad little kitten. That's some strong shit right there.

But the rings of course, are not just Sonic's primary life force. They also seem to possess strong ties to the Chaos Emeralds. Think about it. In Sonic 1, 2, 4, 3, 3D Blast, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting, how do access the Special Zone? Rings. Whether collecting a bunch of small ones, jumping through big ones, or both, rings represent a clear connection between the realm of man and the realm of chaos. The Special Zone itself is quite mysterious, being some sort of dimension existing for seemingly the sole purpose of storing the Chaos Emeralds, (which one also has to wonder about because quite often the emeralds are seen being maintained through normal earthly means). Regardless of what exactly the Special Zone is, however, I always assumed it to a realm of great power, a place far beyond our mortal understanding, a bonus level so you'd have some extra shit to do to complete the gam, a place of pure Chaos energy. But often the only way in is through rings. Heroe s uses a key, but I assume it's made of a similar material to the rings and possesses the same type of energy one can gain from rings and as such fills the same purpose, only in a more condensed form.

However, entering the realm of chaos is not the only thing rings allow Sonic and pals to do. Once they've acquired all seven Chaos Emeralds, they can't even wield such power without gaining and keeping fifty rings. Only once enough ring energy is held can a super form even be initiated, and even then, rings are sapped away until there is none left and the super form dissipates. This suggests to me that ring energy serves as a link between organic life and chaos energy, and that most life can only utilize chaos energy with rings. Unless your Ultimate the Life Form do not steal.

By the way, I'm completely aware that everything I said is probably full of holes and rings are a motherfucking gameplay element and to analyze them is fucking pointless, but I'm a sad, miserable fucker with nothing else to do, so NYEEEEHHH.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the whole rings and chaos emerald thing. this deviant comic offers a rather lengthy fan-explanation:

http://notknownlight...attle-194609712

... well. That's damn good.

Now I'm too embarassed to post my simplistic and stupid theory of how rings work.

Edited by Homem

Shadow's backstory is too bland and somewhat confusing to me.

Not to mention everyone else.

Therefore, these comics have the only Shadow backstory I can accept:

http://th08.devianta...646-d4z5673.png

http://th01.devianta...90c-d50neuc.png

http://th01.devianta...343-d56mqxj.png

Well, that was utterly adorable.

AND MAKES EVEN MORE SENSE THAN SEGA'S MESS.

Time is very fragile in Sonic's world. I mean, with all the Chaos Controls, Sonic CD's events, Sonic 06's events, Sonic Generations events.... the fabric of time must be very weak by now.

Since STCs Super-Sonic has been brought up several times, I just want to ponder some things about it that bug me.

1.In STC the chaos emeralds contain pure evil energy, but only because they absorb evil, that's their reason for being, why does Sonic somehow make it work in reverse?

2. Is SuperSonic Sonic or not?!

Super Sonic was dubbed Sonic's alter-ego and a completely different entity to Sonic, but came from his inner turmoil or some crap (hence transforming under stress, anger etc). Super Sonic was created by the Chaos Emerald's energy through a mutation, if you will, when Sonic was feeling extreme anger.

From what I have seen this is accurate to how the comics portrayed Super-Sonic, but it's also exceedingly vague and contains several contradictory implications.

If SuperSonic is Sonic's 'alter-ego' doesn't that make him an alternate version Sonic, like from another time/space/third variable ( like Scourge) - In other words, he is technically Sonic, just not 'our Sonic' as far as Sonic The Comic is concerned, but in which case, how did he 'get there'? And why when Sonic's at his most fierce and alert?

If the previous is true SuperSonic can't be a completely different entity to Sonic, if the following is true SuperSonic can't be a separate entity to Sonic in any sense of the word...

If SuperSonic comes from Sonic's turmoil then surely SuperSonic is Sonic or at least an aspect of Sonic.

(minor pet peeve: why is SuperSonic in games referred to as if he was a separate entity? He freaking IS Sonic.)

Edited by Mysterics

Hmmm STC's Super Sonic when he was separate is more like Dark Link is in Zelda: part of the character, but not their own person like Scourge is to Sonic. He's a manifestation that is a part of Sonic, but when Super Sonic was separated from Sonic he was slowly dying because he can't exist as a separate entity (especially when Sonic was the one that was getting regular doses of Chaos energy, something that Super Sonic couldn't get without being a part of Sonic).

Super Sonic with Sonic is just an alter ego as if Sonic had an extreme case of multiple personality syndrome. He 'got there' when Sonic absorbed Chaos energy when the emeralds became unstable because of the Special Zone, but Super Sonic and Sonic were separated when his pals drained the Chaos energy out of Sonic, only for it to manifest into Super Sonic because of its power.

So no, he's not a separate entity in a sense that he can survive by himself, because he can't. He could for a while, but it wasn't long before he was extremely weak and needed to be a part of Sonic again.

I used to think that Sonic as Super Sonic put him in a serious state of mind only, with no room for joking around. Not anymore; I think he is merely reacting to the situation when it arises. When he goes Super with Classic in Generations, he talks in a too casual way.

On that note, it upsets me how Super Tails is still allowed to yawn if he stands still, which is probably why even as he grew up, he lost his ability to go Super, Super Emerald or not. And Knuckles going Super is just a waste of energy, because he knows deep inside that Sonic can put it to better use.

I have a theory as to why Shadow and Silver can go Super, and why Amy cannot, even though she's a hedgehog: they must share the same blood. I can totally see Shadow as Sonic's father or maybe his distant uncle who always brings weird souvenirs from his trips.

I used to think that Sonic as Super Sonic put him in a serious state of mind only, with no room for joking around. Not anymore; I think he is merely reacting to the situation when it arises. When he goes Super with Classic in Generations, he talks in a too casual way.

On that note, it upsets me how Super Tails is still allowed to yawn if he stands still, which is probably why even as he grew up, he lost his ability to go Super, Super Emerald or not. And Knuckles going Super is just a waste of energy, because he knows deep inside that Sonic can put it to better use.

I have a theory as to why Shadow and Silver can go Super, and why Amy cannot, even though she's a hedgehog: they must share the same blood. I can totally see Shadow as Sonic's father or maybe his distant uncle who always brings weird souvenirs from his trips.

No, Amy can't simply because she hasn't tried.

Shadow and Sonic are only related in the fact that they are both Hedgehogs, nothing else. (..Although was that a joke..?)

Silver probably isn't related to either of them. Considering in his timeline Elise most likely died on Eggman's battleship and neither Sonic nor Shadow were able to have a family for Silver to come down the line whatsoever.

And I don't think Super Tails or Knuckles were actually canon, couldn't you complete S3&K without the Super Emeralds story-wise?

No, Amy can't simply because she hasn't tried.

Shadow and Sonic are only related in the fact that they are both Hedgehogs, nothing else. (..Although was that a joke..?)

Silver probably isn't related to either of them. Considering in his timeline Elise most likely died on Eggman's battleship and neither Sonic nor Shadow were able to have a family for Silver to come down the line whatsoever.

And I don't think Super Tails or Knuckles were actually canon, couldn't you complete S3&K without the Super Emeralds story-wise?

1) I don't think Amy would have the innate energy needed to summon the power of the Emeralds; I think if anyone else could that hasn't yet, it would be Eggman (which is funny that HE hasn't tried yet);

2) Part joke, part truth; I think that even if not as closely related as I originally mentioned, there has to be some blood connection, if only for the fact that Shadow is part Black Doom, what about the other part? Even if Sonic wasn't alive then, in case you haven't noticed, hedgehogs are rare in Sonic's world (in the games' universe);

3) It's possible to beat S3&K with just Chaos Emeralds and still have Super Knuckles, so if Sonic can do that and be called canon, why not Knuckles? I think if Knuckles really wanted to, he could go Super, but why do that when he can guard the ME in his normal form, and let Sonic take the beating from world-threatening forces as SS?

I dunno, Generations shows his Super expressions are far more serious looking, even his normally soft round eyes are arched in a way similar to Shadow to envoke him getting serious.

I dunno, Generations shows his Super expressions are far more serious looking, even his normally soft round eyes are arched in a way similar to Shadow to envoke him getting serious.

At 3:42, he looks serious but he says it so cheesy, it's inconsistent.

Edited by tenchibr

Dr. Ivo Robotnik is a well-intentioned extremist on a path of revenge.

Think about it. The agents of G.U.N. killed Ivo's innocent cousin. Robotnik's genius grandfather, who was an idol for him, was executed by the same government of the United Federation for no real reason. Their death traumatized Robotnik's mind. He was shocked by the fact that his grandpa, the one who was always working to make the life of the planet's denizens better, was so easily eliminated by the militaristic and paranoid government.

Ivo Robotnik decided to avenge the family, while his grandfather also formulated the plan of "revenge from the grave" shortly before the execution. But, unlike the latter, Ivo never wanted to destroy all life on the planet (in fact, it was hard for him to believe that Gerald, young Ivo's hero, meant to kill everyone on the planet). He just wants to prove that the U.F.'s decision was wrong, while creating a better government for all people of the planet. HIS government. Look at the screen during the declaration of Eggman's ultimatum in SA2. The screen says "Robotnik Empire". The empire of Eggman, and the empire of the whole Robotnik family, created to avenge the murder of the innocent.

And why is he well-intentioned? Well, Dr. Robotnik from the game universe is not a maniac who wants to roboticize every living thing (although he is an egotistical bastard, and he isn't afraid to kill anyone standing in his way). He actually wants people to live under his rule ("Those idiots! They're destroying everything! How can I take over the city and build the Eggman Empire if there is no city?!"). And with his endless resources and perfect robotic machines, Dr. Robotnik can actually build a truly utopian society. He even doesn't really want to kill Sonic and friends, they just always get in his way.

By the way, Dr. Robotnik also has another plan. If he can't conquer the planet, he will create the Eggmanland. What is the Eggmanland? Just another giant robotic base as shown in Unleashed? Well, the base is only a part of one great complex. Eggmanland is not just a city, it is Robotnik's image of an ideal country, the robotic utopia where machines do everything for you. Of course Ivo needs unlimited energies to power this thing, and that's what Dark Gaia is for. If such utopia is created, many people will choose it as a better place to live than the Federation, thus gaining a moral victory and a victory in world domination for the Robotnik family.

Unfortunately, if the bad futures from Sonic CD are anything to go by, Eggman's reach eventually exceeds his grasp, and if he ever is successful, his machines will grow beyond his control, possibly even enslaving him too. In Bad Future the robots overpower his ego - even Eggmanland Logos are broken! If anything, Bad Future is bad for Robotnik too. However, older Eggman is far more capable and sustainable - you can see he is far more destructive in the classics than in the modern era. Perhaps one day he will be able to build the perfect world he seeks.

Edited by Homem
  • Thumbs Up 7

I've always kind of wondered if the levels we play in as Sonic are representative of what he sees, and not necessarily what is actually there.

Take Unleashed for example. It's supposed to be a world adventure, yet every level is generally a really long line. Why is this? I think it's because that's how Sonic sees the world at the time, because while there is a bigger world out there, Sonic is too focused on trying to undo the damage that Eggman inflicted on the planet and to find a way to get rid of his Werehog form, that everything that doesn't fit into these two goals become streamlined and faded out. Hence why the level is a long line rather than a full world.

Of course in contrast, the Night time stages are also just as linear, but they are much more expansive in appearance because Sonic can't move at top speed anymore, thus he is forced to look around to find the best and most efficient path he can. The result is a linear, but fairly expansive LOOKING level.

At 3:42, he looks serious but he says it so cheesy, it's inconsistent.

It's mainly with his in game model.

The creators of the ruins in Jungle Zone in Sonic Jump were known as the Hovolls. The Hovolls were crocodiles. They belived in a legend of a blue hedgehog who would defeat a large lizard which was a descendant of their dark god Virtrazaxx. The carvings in Jungle depict Virtrazaxx, who is said to be sealed in the top of the mountain. They were wiped out by the Kullags, who built Marble Zone. They were dogs. They believed in a legend of a lavender cat who would find a blue hedgehog and love him. Their dark god, Navhexnor, is under Scrap Brain.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry if this has been mentioned but I've always liked the theory that Professor Gerald found the Hidden palace mural and interpreted it as a prophecy for himself to create Shadow rather than Sonic defeating eggman.

Also, how did Big get on the ark? I'd love to see an alternate story mode where you control Big and it turns out that while Shadow and Sonic are fucking around outside fighting the final hazard, Big's busy hacking into the computer system that eventually destroys the ark and saves the day :)

• Thumbs Up 3

I wondered if Sonic in Shadow the hedgehog is as Shadow sees him, whence he is a squirrel on caffeine who can't take a hint.

Then I thought 'nah'.

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a extremely overthought/really-stretching-it theory.

In SA2, we all know that game introduced grinding on rails as a gameplay element.

Sonic, as we all know, has specially designed Soap shoes that allow him to grind on rails. After Heroes, he is able to grind with his standard shoes.

As SA2 was the debut of Shadow the Hedgehog, Shadow's design also includes shoes that by design are also adaptable to grinding. However, it is assumable that he did not know how to use the shoes to grind on rails until after he was released by Eggman at the beginning of SA2. It's arguable that due to the lack of danger/knowledge of such use/resources to do so, and the hedgehog's ability to teleport and skate at high speeds, Shadow did not know how to grind until his releaseby Eggman of SA2.

Now in the multiplayer section of Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle), we also have Metal Sonic and Amy Rose as speed characters.

Metal Sonic, being a robot, presumably doesn't need to worry much about having some sort of protective shoes in order to grind on rails (his "shoes" do even have some joints between them, in which he can use to balance on rails). However, Metal Sonic also must have had to have been upgraded by Eggman to have the ability to grind on rails like his nonrobotic counterpart, presumably sometime after Sonic himself learned how to balance and eventually grind on rails. After all, he is Sonic's robotic counterpart, who is supposed to match all of his abilities.

Amy Rose, however, doesn't seem to have any sort of special footwear specifically for use of grinding. Also worth noting that nobody else in the game is shown to be able to grind on rails until Heroes.

What can we conclude from this? Amy Rose is the first character who was able to grind on rails without the use of special footwear. Also throw in the possibility that Shadow did not know how to grind on rails (if not at least not find it a necessity) until he was released at the beginning of SA2, and we could even assume that Amy Rose was the first character in the entire series to learn how to grind, period. I mean after all, she slides down rails on her bottom in the Advance games, presumably finding it a faster/easier method than using your legs/feet to balance.

EDIT: Another thought. Amy is an extremely fast learner or underwent some serious training in between the Adventure games.

In SA1, she was quite slow, and she could only use her hammer-but only as a weapon of defense at best.

Come SA2, she can now run very fast, is able to perform the Spin Jump, Homing Attack, and somersault (and by that extension possibly roll/perform a spin dash), and can even perform her own variants of Sonic's/Shadow's/Metal Sonic's (at least for SA2 DC anyway) attacks (the temporary Speed-Up ability, Storming Heart-a variant of Sonic Wind/Chaos Spear, and a variant of Time Stop/Chaos Control) with even less rings. And also the aforementioned grinding case.

Edited by -Bane-