Awoo.

Telltale's The Walking Dead: The Game

Brad

Ah, I understand a lot of where you're coming from, can't argue with your further detail on your thoughts.

I kinda hope there are way more "big" choices in Season 2 as well.  Maybe they'll have a bigger budget after the success of the first to be able to figure out more of those, here's hoping.

^ Not me. Otherwise Clementine would not be happy, and I didn't want to let her down! D:

Anyways, I've had this game on my iPad for a while now and I'm still on Episode 5. Two great things about this; the story and characters. They are brilliant! I have never felt so engaged with videogame characters before. It's really dramatic and sometimes even emotional. Episode 3 man...that was harsh. ;-; But the gameplay, is just okay. I do think this game did not deserve GOTY simply because it's not a game! Just an interactive movie. But I'm glad to hear there's a second season coming and will definitely buy it once it's available on iOS. =)

I want to know if anyone

left Lily behind after shooting Carley/Doug.

I sure as hell did, but was surprised to find out that most people didn't! WTH, she just did THAT to one of the nicest companions ever! I was so damn angry and upset that the first thing on my mind was to either kill her or

abandon her!

Edited by Gabz Girl

To Pelly's little review there...

I realized through episode 2 that the choices you make might not be all too far reaching, it wasn't much of a disappointment to me because the characters actually did have an impact on me. Episode 4 was the weakest by me and considered the weakest at large I think, and likely one of the reasons for that was the offing of so many characters followed by quick replacements of new ones. Wise hobo guy Chuck was quickly becoming interesting, but he was written off fast, and I didn't gain any attachment to Omid and Christa until just about before we got separated. It seems the characters you can really change are the ones that stick around the longest - being Kenny, Ben, and Clementine. Clementine's relationship is more like a morality meter, you're her role model and you want her to be safe. Kenny is always antagonizing because he's kind of an idiot, but you can effect him to be less so. According to my friend he refused to help find Clementine in chapter 5, even though she made the same decisions as me with him, maybe I was slightly more persuasive? And you get all sorts of choices with Ben, most of them being to ditch his sorry ass at like every other turn. I got pissed at Ben so many times. I was also a dick to cancer patient guy after he kept insinuating I couldn't take care of Clementine, but I'm not sure his story changes much, he still took our boat like an asshole. Also I read somewhere that if you have the conversation with Herschel where he tells you to be a better liar, your lies actually work better after that point, and I'm not sure how many triggers there are like that in the game. It's interesting but kind of arbitrary for what could be called a hidden upgrade.

To Turbo and Gabz...

I didn't steal from the car. First because I thought it was too good to be true, I wanted to say it was a trap. And then when Clementine didn't want to it just made it easier. Also someone in the group said "What if they come back, we just ruined their lives" which actually felt like foreshadowing to me and I didn't want to make any enemies. Lol.

Gabz I didn't want to leave Lily on the road because it seemed kinda sudden. I guess I planned to abandon her eventually. Bitch stole my damn camper! Also I have a feeling we'll see her again, and maybe Kenny too.

Edited by American Ristar

I want to know if anyone

left Lily behind after shooting Carley/Doug.

I sure as hell did, but was surprised to find out that most people didn't! WTH, she just did THAT to one of the nicest companions ever! I was so damn angry and upset that the first thing on my mind was to either kill her or

abandon her!

That was literally my favourite choice in the game. 

Up to that point I'd been entirely true to my own opinion, good or bad but... hey I'm a nice guy, so I mostly picked good stuff.  That was the first time I, without even needing the whole time bar to decide, made the non-sympathetic choice.  As we drove off and you saw the shot of Lily all on her own, I had this brief feeling of "my god what have I done".  It was a FANTASTIC moment because it really gave me a sensation of these dire circumstances even changing ME as a person and affecting my decision making, just like it was to all the characters.  I loved it.

• Thumbs Up 3

By the way did anyone think Clementine was a racially ambiguous character? Since the player's kinda her foster parent, I would guess it would make her more relatable to any kind of player, if she's blank in that respect. I assumed she was part black just really light. But in truth she could be part Asian too, she could be Spanish, or anything.

By the way did anyone think Clementine was a racially ambiguous character? Since the player's kinda her foster parent, I would guess it would make her more relatable to any kind of player, if she's blank in that respect. I assumed she was part black just really light. But in truth she could be part Asian too, she could be Spanish, or anything.

Given the photo we see of her parents, I can ssume that she's a light black.

tumblr_med2sqjokf1rfp8uuo2_500.png

The writers have gone out their way to say that Clementine is black as a way to prevent the very thing you are talking about. Black character, majority white players, so the fuck what? This is the kind of shit that brought down Connor as a character.

And "Spanish" is not a race. It's an ethnicity. There is a difference.

Edited by turbojet

The writers have gone out their way to say that Clementine is black as a way to prevent the very thing you are talking about.

I'm wondering if the developers thought an ambiguous little girl does better than a white or black girl, or anything specific, because Clem appeared to be anything to me even though I thought her parents were black. What are you talking about?

I'm only remembering seeing her family picture now. Her parents on the street just looked like zombies to me.

And "Spanish" is not a race. It's an ethnicity. There is a difference.

But you know most "Spanish" people aka Latinos, are a mix of native plus conqueror, so what is that. Can we just assume I'm talking about that without going into the lexicon of qualifiers.

I'll be sure to pass the lecture on to myself, for being part "Spanish", before I get offended by my own shadow.

I'm wondering if the developers thought an ambiguous little girl does better than a white or black girl, or anything specific, because Clem appeared to be anything to me even though I thought her parents were black. What are you talking about?

I'm only remembering seeing her family picture now. Her parents on the street just looked like zombies to me.

But you know most "Spanish" people aka Latinos, are a mix of native plus conqueror, so what is that. Can we just assume I'm talking about that without going into the lexicon of qualifiers.

I'll be sure to pass the lecture on to myself, for being part "Spanish", before I get offended by my own shadow.

Before you get offended take notice of what you are saying and what I'm saying. Ethnicity has to do with where you descend from and what nationality are you while Race has to do with your physical features. That isn't a lexicon or any type of jargon. That is straight definitions. Hispanic is not a race as there are black Hispanics in both Central America, Caribbean  and South America as well as white Hispanics. There are black Hispanics in Spain itself since the Moorish kingdom from Africa did conquer part of Spain for extended periods. Now what you are referring to is the conquering of Native Americans(which is a race) and the breeding between two races(might call rape, but I'm being nice). It is simple at that point. You are mixed between two races and that is what the Hispanic people are if they aren't the descendants of indigenous natives(which most citizens of Hispanic countries are since they had to conform to cultural norms).

Why am I being a stickler for this? I've seen people of color intentionally favor their supposedly lighter ancestry over the darker one as a way to say that they aren't unique. Except the keep citing nationality and by extension ethnicity when it should be race. 

As for the Clementine issue, they do it because they don't want there character to be "not too black" or "too foreign" as to not alienate a consumer interested in the product since the majority of gamers are white and some businesses believe that a white consumer is less likely to play as another racial identity. Look up on why Static Shock was cancelled. While the creators of Walking Dead did make her light, they went out there way to make sure people knew that she was African American(again ethnicity). 

You are mixed between two races and that is what the Hispanic people are if they aren't the descendants of indigenous natives(which most citizens of Hispanic countries are since they had to conform to cultural norms).

By all means this could be another topic, but my point is, Latinos are for the most part a native-Spanish mix. Dominicans (black for example) are noted for being dark and Cubans (white for example) are noted for being light. There's no descriptor in English for the typical Mexican, Ecuadorian, Salvadorian, Peruvian etc look, which is a Spanish and Indian mix. There's no word for Latin American brown people. But if there is a "Latino race", that would be it. I think you're being slightly pedantic about it. Anyways I know what you're talking about already.

As for the Clementine issue, they do it because they don't want there character to be "not too black" or "too foreign" as to not alienate a consumer interested in the product since the majority of gamers are white...

Well this was my original point at least. Despite being black (which I was uncertain of until you reminded me of the picture) Clem by appearance is pretty ambiguous, and I assume it was intentional by the developers.

On Lilly:

She does make an appearance again after she steals the RV.

Lilly Caul is one of the members of the Woodbury Army in the comics. She murders Lori and Judith, but only after she does the deed does she realise that Lori was carrying a baby. She shortly after shoots the Governor in the head, ending his reign of terror. So she's actually kind of plot significant.

She's last seen trying to take over the abandoned and overrun prison with some Woodbury residents when her bullets run out. That's the last we saw of her.

The comics and Telltale Game are in the same continuity. Kind of neat to see the connections!

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Actually they're not the same character. I think there was some intention of that in the beginning, but since then it's been officially stated they are in fact different characters. 

Just looked it up.  Apparently they released a novel or something that detailed Lilly's backstory, and it clashed with the events of the game.  So Telltale removed all traces of them being the same character from the website, removed the reference to the comics in the related chapter achievement for her departure, and then, yeah, Kirkman later confirmed they are two different characters.

Shame really, not that I've gotten into the comics yet but it was a nice extra little connection outside of Glenn and Hershel, whom obviously only had tiny roles in episode 1.

Actually they're not the same character. I think there was some intention of that in the beginning, but since then it's been officially stated they are in fact different characters. 

Just looked it up.  Apparently they released a novel or something that detailed Lilly's backstory, and it clashed with the events of the game.  So Telltale removed all traces of them being the same character from the website, removed the reference to the comics in the related chapter achievement for her departure, and then, yeah, Kirkman later confirmed they are two different characters.

Shame really, not that I've gotten into the comics yet but it was a nice extra little connection outside of Glenn and Hershel, whom obviously only had tiny roles in episode 1.

Oh. Well then. Darn shame! Here I thought she'd redeemed herself for being a trigger happy psycho.

I'm presuming the Glenn and Hershel are the same as the comic canon at least.

And their futures are less heroic...

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

So how would you guys feel about characters returning for a second season?

Imagine meeting Lily again, supposing she survives. Telltale could force the player to need her help, and maybe she's even genuine. But would old players ditch her at the first notice, or take her on her second season merits?

A redemption arc with such a bitch of an NPC should make for interesting roleplay choices. Especially if you (as the new character) are trying to explain to your new group why you shouldn't take her in, when they don't know better.

Also could Kenny reappear or is he interesting enough?

It seems to me all his death sequences involve a gun and happen offscreen, which makes me wonder.

Kenny is confirmed dead in the ending of Episode 5 as I recall. Sad really. But it makes sense; he really had no more hope or reason to live. He just gave up.

I actually like the idea of Lilly returning... would be interesting to see what she's up to now. I just hope for Season 2 that the people Clementine is seeing are Christa and Omid... or this could get frightening very quickly.

So Episode 1 of this is finally free for PS3 owners. Been playing it myself for a while now.

Really enjoying it so far, it's not the greatest point and click I've played. Theres is something that annoys me, it's that theres no way to tell how the character will say what he says.

For instance, theres a dialogue option early in the game about if you've killed a walker. Now based on the conversation before this, Lee sounded quite down/not happy about having to 'kill' the zombies... So I intended to be as honest as possible... so I picked my answer expecting him to say it in line with the conversation so far... and he sounded almost over-joyed about what he'd done... completely the opposite to the dialogue so far and what I wanted.

So heres something fun... Mathematics.

Retail copy = £28 + potential custom fees.

Digital copy Season Pass = £8.99 (using a PSN+ discount)

However. Episode 1 is free, so I got that. How much do the other episodes cost, £2 each (using a PSN+ Discount). Total cost = £8.

So it's actually cheaper to download the episodes individually this week than it is to get the season pass which you would assume would be a better saving.

Anyway, I just beat the first episode... and it was... ok but... not what I would call GOTY.

I love the voice acting, I like how the game forces you to make a choice and that it remembers the choices you made... but... I don't like how the game also fools and tricks you.

e.g. Doug or Carley. If you picked Doug you know exactly what I mean (I reloaded and picked Carley I was so annoyed).

Theres times when the dialogue choices/responds just don't match the emotion thats been given. Quite often this breaks up what was really good dialogue and great interaction between the charcters.

For example, when Clem cuts her finger, you talk to her about her family and she asks you about hers... during this I was playing the part of 'nice dad' then I picked the final option which I thought he would say calmly... and he yells it? It just ruined the end of this scene because his emotional tone didn't match at all.

In fact I think the only scene in episode 1 which really flowed well which wasn't one that had no consequences was the motel scene when you meet 'that girl.'

How you control the camera isn't really that great either.

Maybe now that I own all episodes and can play through it all at once I'll change my stance on that GOTY thing. It's good, but better than everything else? Erm... not based on episode 1.

Digital copy Season Pass = £8.99 (using a PSN+ discount)

However. Episode 1 is free, so I got that. How much do the other episodes cost, £2 each (using a PSN+ Discount). Total cost = £8.

So it's actually cheaper to download the episodes individually this week than it is to get the season pass which you would assume would be a better saving.

Well the pricing on the bundle is obviously still priced as it was previously when episode 1 actually cost you money. The price should go down once Sony realizes this, if ever.

Anyway, I just beat the first episode... and it was... ok but... not what I would call GOTY.

The first episode is just setting up the season. You have to play the entire set to get an understanding of the game.

I feel bad that I still haven't fully completed the game. I'm still at the end of Episode 1 lol.

Edited by Autosaver

Yeah, trust me, once you play all five you'll really see just how powerful TWD can be. All the twists and turns the story takes, all the choices... The Walking Dead is just really good at building up characters, yet also keeping true to the rule "Anyone Can Die." Nobody's ever safe... and I think this combination of interesting characters with the grim reality that every character is mortal is really what sets it apart from most zombie series.

As with most series the first episode tends to be more about setting the story up than doing anything particularly deep or moving on its own. The remaining 4 episodes will hopefully be far more impressive for you.

I never noticed the dialogue not matching part but I blame watching Let's Plays over actually purchasing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Game's also coming to PS Vita
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/22/telltales-the-walking-dead-coming-to-playstation-vita?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Today, IGN can confirm that season one of Telltale’s The Walking Dead will be coming to PlayStation Vita this year.

In an interview with PlayStation’s Director of Product Planning and Platform Software Innovation Don Mesa, it was revealed that Telltale’s critical and commercial smash-hit adventure series would migrate to Sony’s new handheld.

“Having [a studio] like Telltale, a very successful indie developer, coming in to support us sends a strong message,” Mesa told IGN in an extensive interview about all things PlayStation Vita.

In talking about how the Vita could offer unique experiences, Mesa continued speaking about the Vita iteration of the game. "Again, a good example is with The Walking Dead. We think that the emotion and the immersive experiences you're going to get there, wherever you're sitting, if you're in your living room and playing on your Vita or sitting at a café or at the bus stop and playing this, you get that shock or fright. I think that's going to be important. That's what we want to deliver as you're playing."

The release window for The Walking Dead season one on PlayStation Vita has yet to be determined. It’s also unclear if it will be released episodically – as it was on PS3 – or all at once. However, you can rest assured that it’s coming.

Oh I didn't know Episode 1 was free on PS3, guess I'll try it out.

I cleared the first episode today and well, it was really entertaining. Definitely going to get the boxed edition of this game.

So... Telltale have a huge sales on the first full season of The Walking Dead for a limited time. If you haven't picked it up yet, now's your best bet. Also if you have, a perfect time to recommend it to your friends so they can all go through the pain we've experienced

Still haven't finished the Game of the Year winning series from Telltale Games? Fans, The Walking Dead: The Game is on SALE across multiple platforms across the world! If you've yet to play the series, now is your chance to grab all of the episodes at a discounted price for a limited time. Details below!

SALES
iOS - App Store
Monday, March 25th - Wednesday, April 10th
Episodes 2-5: 40% off, $2.99 each
Multi-Pack [Ep2-5 Bundle]: over 30% off, $9.99 for the pack
App Store Link: http://bit.ly/S6cZww

Xbox LIVE Marketplace
Tuesday March 26 - Monday April 1st
Episode 1: FREE
Episodes 2-5: 50% off each episode

PlayStation Network SCEE (UK and Europe, excluding Germany)
Wednesday March 20th - Wednesday April 3rd
Episode 1: FREE for all users
Episodes 2-5: 50% off for PSN Plus users
Season Pass: 25% off for regular users, 60% off for PSN Plus users 

PSN - SCEE (Germany only)
Wednesday March 20th - Wednesday April 3rd
Episodes 2-5: 50% off for PSN Plus users
Season Pass: 25% off for regular users, 50% off for PSN Plus users

PSN - SCEA (US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Argentina)
Monday, April 1st - Tuesday, April 16th
Episode 1: FREE for all users (regular and Plus users)
Episodes 2-5: $3.99 each for regular users, $2.99 for PSN Plus users
Season Pass: $14.99 for regular users, $10.49 for PSN Plus users

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=610034462344057&set=a.406174139396758.110340.222549117759262&type=1