Awoo.

Telltale's The Walking Dead: The Game

Brad

I haven't even watched either of the Season 2 episodes yet (I don't really feel like forking out money since for me the real fun is the narrative anyway) on Youtube, but my curiosity did get the better of me and I wiki'd things.

I really hope we get some explanation as to how Kenny survived. Didn't Season 1 pretty much confirm he was dead at the end there, after all? If so this comes off as a retcon, and I really hope they'll give a reason as to how he made it out.

I'm glad he's back, though. It did seem like a moment of weakness after his anti-suicide speech to just throw his life away. I get the feeling he was a lot like Peter from Dawn of the Dead - he contemplated ending it all and decided to pull through at the last minute. Moreover, Clementine is with someone she really knows again, which is good given the loss of Lee.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Episode 3 is now out.  Ohhhh my god that was nerve-wrecking from start to finish.

Major spoilers of whole episode:

I hated Carver and had no issue telling Luke to shoot him.  Glad the son of a bitch is dead because he was stressing me out.  Wasn't quite strong enough to watch Kenny kill him though.  Oh my god I feel so bad for Sarah.  It was inevitable we couldn't protect her forever but I feel stupid for not predicting that they would utterly pull the rug out from underneath us with how.  AND THEN THEY THROW THAT FINAL CHOICE AT US 10 SECONDS LATER AAAA.  I cut off Sanita(?)'s arm, and it was horrifying to do so oh my god.  I actually whsipered "oh shit" out loud when the episode ended.

I'm really glad Bonnie sided with us.  I didn't want her to stay evil.  I hope the 400 Days crew go on to have a little bit of a larger role soon and don't just die though.  I had all of them but Chel go with me in 400 Days, and I noticed everyone had their own little moment in this episode, plus the camera lingering on some generic guy at one point for a strangely long time - I'm guessing that's where Chel would've appeared.

Naturally (for those who don't know) Bonnie ALWAYS goes to Carver's camp in 400 Days, so it's no surprise she has such a prominent role.

The only moment of respite in this episode was I got to hug everyone which was sweet lol.  I'm really glad Kenny's okay too, I have a complex about familiar characters getting killed off in sequels featuring new casts ever since it happened in Left 4 Dead.  "Damnit, they were fine until you came along, sequel!"  ...Then again Kenny was presumed dead until TWD Season Two came along lol.

Of final note, another beautiful credits theme.  I can't wait to make a playlist of these to listen to and be sad about zombies once the season is over.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's only getting harder and harder to figure out which sides to take.  I feel strong responsibility for Sarah, especially now that her father is dead but I know I can't always be there for her when she gets herself into trouble.  I dread the ultimate decision I'm going to have to make for her.

And oh my God, when I cut off Sarita's arm, that's going to haunt me for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just got done with the episode. Another strong one, I think Season Two is gonna turn out better than Season One at this rate. 

Watching Carver die was brilliant comeuppance and pay off. Just throwing that out there.

Also, as somebody who managed to get all 400 Days characters into the camp, I was sad I wasn't rewarded with a bit more meat on their roles over mini cameos. Even if I felt bad for putting them in a camp with a mad man in charge.

And chopping off Sanita's arm? Oh god. I dunno if I hate myself, but I hope that was the right choice. I hope.

• 1 month later...

Crossposted from the Steam Summer Sale topic:  The Walking Dead Season 2 is £10 for today, snap that shit up if you haven't already.  It's unlikely get cheaper than this while the season is still ongoing.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so, I got this at an amazing price on PS3 last week, think it was under £5 for the season 2 pass, so I snapped it up.

Just got around to playing episode 1... have to say... really unimpressed with how bad this is running.

Cut scenes are stuttering, action sequences are stuttering to the point where they're near unplayable.

Then there was this gem.

Uan7Jrh.jpg

Game decided that Clementine didn't need her left eye, so it decided not to render it for nearly the entire camp fire sequence and the action sequence which followed it. Whilst I'm sure that scene in which they're talking was emotional, it was kinda hard to get invested in it when Clementine was sitting there and trying to start a fire whilst she had a huge hole in her face.

Edit: 

Ok so got quite far into episode one, and... I think I like this episode more than the entirety of Season one, it just feels better. It's hard to say why exactly, but I'm just enjoying it a lot more.

But technically, it's got problems, screen tearing, stuttering, it really takes you out of the experience.

I'm pretty sure every version has some issues lol.  I've never had graphical issues on my PC (I have a pretty good PC though so a visually simple game like TWD runs perfect on it), but one time on Episode 1, it did lock me out of choosing dialogue options for a cut-scene for some reason so I was forced to respond with silence instead of what I wanted to say for two choices.

Well just beat episode 2 and 3... Thoughts.

I... really don't like any of the starting cast in this. 

I don't know what it is but I loved the cast of the first game, in this one everyone but Luke comes off as being an arse in some way or gives the impression that they're gonna kill me at any second. 

When I reunited with Kenny I thought "Oh hey!" and then when I sat with him at the table I thought "Were you always this much of an arse."

Regarding Carver and his 'castle.'

I felt they let themselves down A LOT with this.

Carver is introduced as this dude who they all fear, but we don't know why, only that 'he's bad.' When we first encounter him, he's painted as the villain, we know he's the bad guy... only he drops one line which makes you think 'Am I sure he's the bad guy?'

Then by the end of episode 2... "Yup he's the bad guy."

However in Episode 3, it felt like it had been written for a different story, you arrive in Carver's building and yeah his guards are horrible, but the people who are there seem to be getting on with things and enjoying stuff as much as they can be.

It felt like there should have and could have been more of a mystery and it felt like the whole episode could have been building upto a choice between who you side with, the group who have been hiding stuff from you and who didn't originally trust you, or this other guy who whilst having very questionable motives, has build some kind of sanctuary.

However, due to the ending of episode 2, there's no way they can do that, yet there's even a scene in episode 3 which hints this is the direction it was going to go.

It felt like a poor mans version of the Woodbury storyline. Don't get me wrong it was a good story and at times did have some real tension to it. But it felt like I was missing something, considering how they built it up and how some of the people in there seemed to enjoy living here, it felt more like it was going to be a story about 'is this place really as bad as they say?' as opposed to 'yup it's a prison and that guy is the bad guy, lets bust out of here.'

It was a good episode, but it just felt like the wasted an opportunity or two.

Also Telltale really need to sort out their games, the technical issues really take you out of the experience sometimes.

• 1 year later...

Since it wasn't mentioned here. Season 3's been announced, along with a 3 episode miniseries based around a comic character.

Yep, 19 episodes of TWD in less than 3 years.

Personally, I thought Season 1 was good for one playthrough, and Season 2 was terrible. 

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

*Bump*

Episode 1 of The Walking Dead: Michonne has been released. I've already downloaded it.

I'm a fan of the Telltale games, especially the Walking Dead series. Played them all apart from the Minecraft episodes. Don't forget we're getting a Batman Telltale game later this year and we've got Season 3 of The Walking Dead to look forward to!