Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

Ya know I was a big fan of DBZ in my teen years, but even then I never really fell in love with the whole power fantasy aspect of it. I even tried to create fan-art and fan-fiction over the years that tones down all the beam spamming and fusions and all that weird crap. It was in senior year when I realized what I wanted all along: to see Dragonball.

As soon as I saw that, I did a whole 180 on the more popular sequel. I loved how Dragonball combined the action with a lot of comedy, and it was great seeing all of Goku's friends doing cool thing and not being overshadowed by the monkeys; hell, even Goku came off as a lot more interesting than his Super Saiyan self. Finally, the fights where just 10x more better, with unique techniques and more focus on hand to hand fighting. I think my most favorite fight was Tien vs Goku in the Budokai Tenkaichi, followed by Goku's final fight with Piccolo.

What I will never understand is how the fans is so complacent to simply swallow the regurgitations Shonen Jump and Toei keep feeding them every year (games, action figures, card games, movies) when they have the capacity for something new? Moreover, god dangit, why can't fans let Goku die already? Everyone who's name isn't Vegeta suffered from his ressurection in the Buu Saga, some more than others (poor Gohan and Goten...)

I would rather see a series like this than a movie with recolored Super Saiyans and Vegeta doing karaoke.

EDIT: OK so i think I got the hang of the YT thang. Let me try this.

http://youtu.be/p84nBxAwQOs

Edited by FalconKick

I don't think there's any official art of Gokule or Cellin. But then I'm not the biggest DBZ nerd ever.

No, but we do have an official drawing of the greatest DBZ character that never was

Prillin

Kriccolo

who gives a shit

Piririn.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with the movie now out on DVD, guess what's now on the internet with English subtitles?

STAFF EDIT: Linking to entire films that have been unofficially published online is promoting piracy. Link removed.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

No, but we do have an official drawing of the greatest DBZ character that never was

Prillin

Kriccolo

who gives a shit

Piririn.jpg

Seriously, where the f$%k does Toriyama gets his supply to get this high. I want what he has.

Maybe then, in my drug induced, vomit-filled experience, I can be inspired to create an idea that will make me millions only to get sick and tired of it when my publishers start whoring it out. I would totally come back to it if they give me money, but I will be soooo dead inside.

Also, what is taking Funimation so long to dub this? Or at least TFS, although at the point where they are, some of the stuff wouldn't make sense.

New Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z trailer gives us the official English voices of Bills/Beers and Whis!

Could this mean we're getting closer to a Battle of Gods English dub? I hope so!

EDIT: Also, an interesting little tidbit I found in an interview with Funimation at Sakura-Con regarding the film:

Q: Any word on Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods?
A: Wow, everyone is asking this question! All DBZ movies must first be offered to Fox, and the option for release hasn't picked up yet. It's way too early to talk release plans, but personally I think it'll probably be 2014 before we see it on these shores.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2013/sakura-con/10

So apparently they're waiting on Fox to give them the "okay" to dub it, since Fox apparently has the rights to all DBZ movies.

Edited by Tomoki
  • Thumbs Up 2

New Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z trailer gives us the official English voices of Bills/Beers and Whis!

Could this mean we're getting closer to a Battle of Gods English dub? I hope so!

EDIT: Also, an interesting little tidbit I found in an interview with Funimation at Sakura-Con regarding the film:

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2013/sakura-con/10

So apparently they're waiting on Fox to give them the "okay" to dub it, since Fox apparently has the rights to all DBZ movies.

Uhh....but...the movie tanked.....why would they want to ..... those grimy.....aren't the X-Men enough....sigh

Only on Fox: the place where dreams go to die.

Uhh....but...the movie tanked.....why would they want to ..... those grimy.....aren't the X-Men enough....sigh

Only on Fox: the place where dreams go to die.

Wrong. The movie did very well in Japan; it just didn't meet Toei's 3 Billion Yen Goal- and it just barely missed it because it earned 2.9 Billion Yen.

Edited by Tomoki

Fox distributed battle of gods in Japan. And lat I checked BoG was a huge success for them there.

Wrong. The movie did very well in Japan; it just didn't meet Toei's 3 Billion Yen Goal- and it just barely missed it because it earned 2.9 Billion Yen.

1938907-fry_bigger.jpg

Ok, I can't tell is you are simply misunderstanding which DB movie I'm talking about OR You are so in denial about a certain movie that you will deny it's very existence.

I mean, when I think of FOX and DBZ, there is only one image that comes up...you know the one...

Ohhhhhhh, you're talking about Dragon Ball: Evolution; the live action movie. Yeah, that bombed hard, but I don't see that as indication that Battle of Gods won't make it to the west, considering this is an animated film written by the series' creator himself. Dragon Ball Z is the most popular anime in the world, so there's still a good chance that Battle of Gods will still get localized. Hell, I'm not even asking for a theatrical release, just bring it straight to DVD and Blu-Ray and DBZ fans in the west will be satisfied.

Edited by Tomoki

You might actually have Evolution to thank for Battle of Gods having been made at all; I've seen speculation that part of the reason BoG happened was as an Amazing Spider-Man kind of deal, where Fox need to make something Dragon Ball every so often or they'll lose the rights, and since live-action clearly wasn't working out for them they just got Toei to do something animated as a safe bet.

Y'know, I still kind of wish that Toriyama had gone along with the Toei writer's initial outline where Beers crashes Krillin and Android 18's wedding instead of Bulma's birthday party. You'd have to somehow work around Goku being dead, but Dragon Ball is always immediately improved by Krillin in a suit.

• Thumbs Up 1

You might actually have Evolution to thank for Battle of Gods having been made at all; I've seen speculation that part of the reason BoG happened was as an Amazing Spider-Man kind of deal, where Fox need to make something Dragon Ball every so often or they'll lose the rights, and since live-action clearly wasn't working out for them they just got Toei to do something animated as a safe bet.

Y'know, I still kind of wish that Toriyama had gone along with the Toei writer's initial outline where Beers crashes Krillin and Android 18's wedding instead of Bulma's birthday party. You'd have to somehow work around Goku being dead, but Dragon Ball is always immediately improved by Krillin in a suit.

Ahh so, like their constant milking of the dead teat of the X-Men franchise to keep it away from Marvel, Fox has to pinch the equally dead teat of DBZ to keep the license...most likely to try to make back the cost of obtaining the license that didn't reward them in the end.

And yes...to everything you said. Especially the part about Krillin in a suit.

EVERYTHING is always improved by Krillin in a suit.

It's supposed to be canon to the manga and take place after the Buu saga, so it wouldn't make sense for it to take place during Krillin and #18's wedding, since they already were married and had a kid during that time, so I'm glad Toriyama changed it to Bulma's birthday party. Not to mention that Beers/Bills is supposed to be stronger than Majin Buu...

Edited by Tomoki

This was the very first draft or something; presumably the details of when the movie was going to take place and how strong the bad guy would be weren't nailed down yet.

Battle of Gods was the first Dragon Ball thing in ages, so it makes sense that they'd want to set it in a time period when the main character wouldn't need a deus ex machina to participate. It still makes me a little sad, though.

Would put a whole damper on the supposed God of Destruction's strength if, at the end of the day, his strength was still surpassed by the strength of a magician's alchemy 5 billion years ago, 3 Saiyans, one of which is half-blood, a fusion of two 8 year olds, and the strength a pair of earrings gives.

Maybe, but those are sort of the rules Dragon Ball plays by. Remember the time some guy built a bunch of robots in his basement that were stronger than the Prince of Space?

• Thumbs Up 2

So now we can be Supa sand lesbians?

Darn you kaka carrot cake!

U AM NO REL SUPA SAND!

And yes I love Dragonball P, if you were wondering.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET
  • Thumbs Up 1

Admit it, you lot want it so you can have spiky Sonic hair more than you want DBZ hair.

I'm busy working on my Super Saiyan 3 hair.

The mullet to end all mullets!

I remember my friend grew his fro out, and I told him if he pulled a lock of it down in front of his face, he'd look like SSJ2 Gohan.