Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

FUNi first started dubbing Dragon Ball Z in 1996. The first three movies produced in the '90s used Cha la Head Cha La. Most countries that dubbed DBZ since it debuted over 20 years ago used Cha La Head Cha La. One of the more recent ones that comes to mind is the German dub which came out sometime between 2004-2007, I believe. There could have been more since then but I haven't checked. I haven't heard any stories about Hironobu Kageyama not wanting other companies to dub his music. Where did you hear that?

Also, no worries! I'm doing my best to explain. And yeah, Pioneer/Geneon distributed those movies.

The orange brick theme is an instrumental played over Cha-la Head Chala because Funimation couldn't get the rights for that release. (Japanese musicians are not only ficky, but they charge you an arm and a leg for their music.)

Oh, that? Wasn't that the song used on their movie releases (at least since the Coola movies, I wanna say)? I didn't realize they used it in place of "Cha-La...". I'm not so sure about the rights thing myself, since, as MugiMikey points out, "Cha-La..." is present on the dub track for the Dragon Boxes (insert songs aren't, which may have had different usage rights OR FUNimation simply axed them since they had vocals). I'm not sure about the recent or previous Blu-Ray releases though, so if someone has those, they could probably chime in about that. I couldn't give you a good explanation, unfortunately, as FUNi does have a history of just doing whatever they want with this show.

I would like to know more about this though, since it's the first I've heard of it.

FUNi first started dubbing Dragon Ball Z in 1996. The first three movies produced in the '90s used Cha la Head Cha La. Most countries that dubbed DBZ since it debuted over 20 years ago used Cha La Head Cha La. One of the more recent ones that comes to mind is the German dub which came out sometime between 2004-2007, I believe. There could have been more since then but I haven't checked. I haven't heard any stories about Hironobu Kageyama not wanting other companies to dub his music. Where did you hear that?

Then here's what I believe went down. When Funi made those Ocean dubs, they had the funding power of Saban to support them and could afford to purchase the rights for Cha la. When they became their own seperate studios, they initially couldn't afford to release those songs here. By the time the Dragon Boxes came out, Funi were able to afford Cha la and We Gotta Power. And apparently, those songs were able to come on the recent BD release (only on the Japanese track, but it came).

It also may have to do with location; the United States may have been seen as higher priority than Germany in terms of giving them music and were charged more thus. I know Funi has had trouble licencing certain One Piece songs because of this, while Russia could get those songs with their recent dub of One Piece.

I've heard it around the web, so I can't say for sure.

They did the same thing for the 2nd opening as well, but what's odd is that if you change the audio track to Japanese, "We Gotta Power" ends up playing. I don't get why they couldn't just make that the song on both language tracks of the Orange Box DVD's. 

BTW, how's things going Mikey? :D

It's true FUNi didn't have a big budget once they left Saban, but they quickly grew and were able to fund the the other dubs they started to make starting in the early 2000s. Also, Cha La Head Cha La has been on the Japanese track for every Dragon Ball Z DVD/BD release they've had, even the very first ones back in 2000 or 2001, so if you're telling me they're using the rock theme on the new BDs then I'm sure FUNi is using it just because they think it appeals to casual audiences more.

It's true FUNi didn't have a big budget once they left Saban, but they quickly grew and were able to fund the the other dubs they started to make starting in the early 2000s. Also, Cha La Head Cha La has been on the Japanese track for every Dragon Ball Z DVD/BD release they've had, even the very first ones back in 2000 or 2001, so if you're telling me they're using the rock theme on the new BDs then I'm sure FUNi is using it just because they think it appeals to casual audiences more.

I don't think Cha-la was in the orange brick release at all, even on the Japanese track. But in that case, why exclude it from the English Japanese audio track when they could keep the endings? Doesn't that seem fishy? There's gotta be a rights issue somewhere if they can't manage something as simple as having a consistent opening.

It's certainly there. Trust me!

Also, hey Wolf! biggrin.png

Well, then, again. Why not include it in the Japanese soundtrack version of the english dub? Doesn't that sound fishy to you?

Well, like I said, FUNi does what it wants with the Dragon Ball series. It's quite annoying...

I also remember a trailer for GT they made in 2003. It started with the Japanese theme playing, and then they abruptly stopped it and had the rap play.

I really hope they don't try to re-release the original Dragonball on DVD's/Blu-Ray. Honestly, I'm completely fine with the blue boxes they made, and have no problems with how they released it whatsoever. Something tells me they'll still milk it for everything it's worth. 

It's pretty amazing looking back at how many times they have actually re-released the DBZ box sets though. Remember the stand-alone DVD's that had 3 episodes each and costed like $25 per DVD? I actually miss those days. XD

Well, like I said, FUNi does what it wants with the Dragon Ball series. It's quite annoying...

I also remember a trailer for GT they made in 2003. It started with the Japanese theme playing, and then they abruptly stopped it and had the rap play.

I'm sorry, but this is the impasse, I can't believe that they did it for no reason. 

That is a different case, and it was still made when Barry you-know-who was still there.

I agree and disagree on both ends here. For one, it is weird that they would pretty much mix up the opening and ending themes for each audio track, but I almost feel like there HAS to be a reason for it. Unless Funimation was completely trolling and felt like everyone wouldn't care, there has to be a reason why they did that. Realistically though, it doesn't matter cause those sets have been out for so damn long now and they can't change the past. 

Ah, yes, the DVD singles. I remember getting those way back when too!

There's one issue the blue bricks have and it's not as bad as the widescreen cropping, but the image is kinda zoomed in. You lose some picture on the bottom and left and right, but it's not that big of a problem. I'm still waiting for a Dragon Box release, though...

EDIT: I know it doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense to me either, but FUNi still makes unnecessary changes to Dragon Ball Z that need explaining. It's just all evidence points to that they decided to change it because they thought it was a better fit for the target audience. Sort of like how they knew people investing in the Dragon Box wouldn't have wanted replacement music.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, yes, the DVD singles. I remember getting those way back when too!

There's one issue the blue bricks have and it's not as bad as the widescreen cropping, but the image is kinda zoomed in. You lose some picture on the bottom and left and right, but it's not that big of a problem. I'm still waiting for a Dragon Box release, though...

EDIT: I know it doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense to me either, but FUNi still makes unnecessary changes to Dragon Ball Z that need explaining. It's just all evidence points to that they decided to change it because they thought it was a better fit for the target audience. Sort of like how they knew people investing in the Dragon Box wouldn't have wanted replacement music.

Again though, their target audience would not switch to the English Dub/Japanese OST track. It's understandable if their English Dub/English OST track had the Rock theme, but no reason for the other to have the Japanese EDs, but not the OPs.

Yes, I understand that logic. But FUNi has been so unpredictable with DBZ and they still continue to be. Do the orange bricks have the second ending song intact?

Yes, I understand that logic. But FUNi has been so unpredictable with DBZ and they still continue to be. Do the orange bricks have the second ending song intact?

Yes it does. 

Again, my explanation at least has some logic to it man. I can't just go with, "for teh randomz."

And that second ending is sung by Hironobu Kageyama, the man that sings Cha La Head Cha La and We Gotta Power.

Again, if it was an issue with his music, that second ending wouldn't be there.

And that second ending is sung by Hironobu Kageyama, the man that sings Cha La Head Cha La and We Gotta Power.

Again, if it was an issue with his music, that second ending wouldn't be there.

And it's too specific to just be for no reason for the OP to not be on the Eng/JP track. 

Different songs have different rights, Funi couldn't get one ED to one Piece because it was attached to the boy band who made Crazy Rainbow, but they could get Crazy Rainbow.

I know it's random and I know it has no logic, but FUNimation is notorious for making illogical decisions with this show. Their track record is really something.

EDIT: Regarding One Piece, FUNi quickly explained why they had to make those changes. With DBZ, they haven't said a word. They used Cha La Head Cha La several times before, and in their latest release they decided not to. I am not sure why.

Chala and We gotta Power may have just had different rights attached to them because of their fame. Different songs have different rights. FUNi couldn't get many of the insert songs, even for the Dragon Boxes.

I don't think that's the case... They used the songs before and other countries use the songs just fine.

Oh come on. Now we've made a complete circle in this argument. Let's just agree to disagree at this point, because neither is convincing the other.

Yes, I know that. I apologize. It's all speculation since FUNi has never said why, but I am going by their history of taking liberties with this show.

Chala and We gotta Power may have just had different rights attached to them because of their fame. Different songs have different rights. FUNi couldn't get many of the insert songs, even for the Dragon Boxes.

I find that ridiculous, yet that also doesn't surprise me in a way. Greedy people want their $$$. (Or should I say, ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥ )