Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

All this time and I still think Colleen Clickenbeard did a vastly superior Kid/Teen Gohan voice than Stephanie Nadolny could ever hope to accomplish.

What about Kid Goku?

I think everyone's problem with Colleen voicing Teen Gohan is...well a lot of people forget that he's at most 10 years old(11 if you dub) at that point in the series, but he doesn't look his age at all so its a little jarring.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 2

Seeing as how Clickenbeard provided voicing for Kid Goku in a span of about 45 seconds, comprised of crying, laughing, and yelling "ha!" once, I'm not going to be able to make a fair comparison. I would have to see how she'd do in other situations beyond those.

I will say that Kid Goku is a playful little guy, and Nadolny did great in expressing that. Gohan, on the other hand, is reserved, shows a wide range of emotions more often, and can get quite serious for a small child. Clickenbeard does a better job in showing those sides of Gohan.

• Thumbs Up 2

Seeing as how Clickenbeard provided voicing for Kid Goku in a span of about 45 seconds, comprised of crying, laughing, and yelling "ha!" once, I'm not going to be able to make a fair comparison. I would have to see how she'd do in other situations beyond those.

I will say that Kid Goku is a playful little guy, and Nadolny did great in expressing that. Gohan, on the other hand, is reserved, shows a wide range of emotions more often, and can get quite serious for a small child. Clickenbeard does a better job in showing those sides of Gohan.

She voices him in the redub of Dragon Ball mang.

...There was a redub of Dragon Ball right?

EDIT: Nope, it wass Curse of the Blood rubies.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yep. Curse of the Blood Rubies. Which I have yet to watch, unfortunately.

Should probably get around to watching that.

I never had a problem with any of the young Son Goku voices. Nadolny did a pretty good job with him, and Colleen did as well. Can't say that about Nadolny's Gohan, though; I, too, feel Colleen is better off as him.

And yeah, the English dub of Kai is vastly superior to FUNi's attempt at Z. The Kai dub isn't perfect, but it's definitely the best English dubbed material of the show there is.

I'm still so glad we have Chris Ayres as Freeza now. He's wonderful.

Anyway, this:

Edited by MugiMikey
  • Thumbs Up 6

And then Dragon Ball Kai came along and cut out most of the filler so it wouldn't drag on. And all was good if you discount the arguments over the censorship, voice casts and soundtracks.

Does it fix the trouble of a fun adventure series becoming a cosmic powerlevel slugfest?

I actuall like some of the filler; such as Vegeta going on a Goku-hunting/Freeza's-army-killing-spree miniarc, Goku and Piccolo taking driving lessons etc. :/ The former especially as it was so funny, and kinda reminded me of a younger Goku; the loveable blithering idiot! biggrin.png One of the things I liked about Dragonball was how Young Goku was seemingly oblivious to society in general; he was mouthy to figures of authority, clueless around girls etc. Seeing these kinds of character-based jokes was refereshing after so much AAAAAAAAAAAARGH! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGH! OOOOHWAAAAAAAAARGH! :B

Edited by MamboCat

Does it fix the trouble of a fun adventure series becoming a cosmic powerlevel slugfest?

Well the story of Kai is fundamentally the same as Z and the portion of the manga it's an adaptation of, so if you didn't like that portion of the manga, then you probably wouldn't like Kai either. I personally love the entire series from beginning to end, but to each their own.

Toei's goal with Kai was to make it closer to the manga's story and pacing, and FUNi falsely marketed it as a direct adaptation of the manga. It's not true as Kai still retains some filler and it's because back when Toei originally animated it, they implemented some filler into the story so there was no low-budget way for them to remove it. rolleyes.gif If you don't like the Z half of the story, then you won't like Kai. But, hey; at least the Saiyan and Namek/Freeza arcs retain that sense of adventure Dragon Ball had.

I actuall like some of the filler; such as Vegeta going on a Goku-hunting/Freeza's-army-killing-spree miniarc, Goku and Piccolo taking driving lessons etc. :/ The former especially as it was so funny, and kinda reminded me of a younger Goku; the loveable blithering idiot! biggrin.png One of the things I liked about Dragonball was how Young Goku was seemingly oblivious to society in general; he was mouthy to figures of authority, clueless around girls etc. Seeing these kinds of character-based jokes was refereshing after so much AAAAAAAAAAAARGH! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGH! OOOOHWAAAAAAAAARGH! :B

While Goku isn't as naive as he was, he actually retained his childlike personality even as an adult. The English dub rewrote his personality into being smarter and intellectual, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

I haven't seen much subbed Dragon Ball, but I really don't get "smart" or "intellectual" from Goku. Like, he's battle smart yes, but other than that I never really saw how he was any smarter between the regions.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the biggest traits in the original Japanese version is that he speaks like a total redneck. As far as I know, there haven't been any dubs that retained that about him. Chichi and and Gyumao both speak with a hick accent as well. The FUNi dub made Goku into a white knight, defending things for the sake of good and justice and because he apparently hates evil. He would sometimes give sophisticated, heroic speeches to villains about how wrong they are and how they need to pay for their crimes. That kind of generic stuff.

He has heroic traits in the Japanese version due to his good intentions, but he mostly just fights to better himself. He's naive and doesn't think much about consequences and how it can affect those around him. He lets many villains live because he cares more about honing his skills rather than other peoples' safety. He's kinda selfish, but he really doesn't know any better because he has the heart of a child.

What's funny is that TFS' Goku is actually far closer to the original Goku than any of the official English voice actors he's had.

Edited by MugiMikey
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's the thing tho, how can you translate a Japanese speaking dialect to English? Its a pretty big language barrier to cross and I don't really think Funi could have interpreted it properly without American audiences understanding it. Dragon Ball Z was being marketed for America, so obviously the characters needed to be "americanized" so to speak to understand. That, I really don't see much of a difference in how the two act, aside from that selfish instance you posted, which they did correct for Kai.

If we're talking original dub, then yea they did kinda change him a bit.

I'm talking about the original dub. Kai is leagues better because the scripts are faithful about 95% of the time.

Adapting his speech patterns would have been easy to do, though. It's not as complicated as you think. A good equivalent would just have him saying things like "ain't" instead of "isn't," and using a smaller and simpler vocabulary. It'd actually be easier for children to understand due to the simplicity and Goku's childlike mannerisms. They didn't bother having Goku speak like this in the English version of Kai, though.

I haz clip:

Clinkenbeard does a good job there, but after watching, rewatching it, then coming back a few days later to watch it again, I think that I may just like it because it's Clinkenbeard. Going off of Goku's playful, impulsive, naive nature, Nadolny just seems like a better fit overall. :3

Battle of Gods has made 2.7 billion yen in theaters, with Toei Animation's goal for the movie being set at 3.0 billion yen. BoG is in theaters for only one more week; as luck would have it, the remainder of the week, May 3-5, is Japan's Golden Week, the country's vacation week. May 5th for this week is called Children's Day, so that should boost revenue up to way past the 3 billion goal (though since May 5th is a Sunday, not sure how that works out.)

I thought it passed the 3.0 mark sometime ago?

Damn if thats the case it didn't do too well did it?

Well considering it had to compete this year with a One Piece film by Oda and Eva 3.0, doesn't seem so bad.

• 3 weeks later...

So two things

So I was watching Broly (the first movie) the other day for shits and giggles, and I realized that whoever wrote that movie must have really had it out for Vegeta

he spends the entire movie bitching and whining and then loses all motivation to fight just because "EWEWEUUGUH THE LEGENDS WERE TRUE, THERE'S A LEGENDARY SUPER SAYAIN!!!"

Finally when he comes to his senses about 30 minutes later, the music starts playing and shit, Trunks is all like "GO DAD!" and Vegeta's all flying towards Broly yelling "YES I AM THE PRINCE OF ALL SAYAINS!!!"

Like literally 15 seconds later, Broly just smashed Vegeta into a rock, and he's down.

All that build-up for nothing. I just wish for once Vegeta could win.

And second, quick question, which was one stupider?

Goten turning into a Super Sayain because of Chi-chi hitting him a little too hard,

Or Goku Jr. turning Super Sayain because of a bear that was about to die?

Goku Jr. turning Super Saiyan because of a bear that almost died because it's GT and damn near everything in GT was stupid; including that scene, and quite frankly, that whole movie it's from.

Edited by Tomoki

Goten turned into a Super Saiyan because of his natural ability, and because, as some claim, that he was conceived after Goku had turned into a Super Saiyan, possibly after Goku had become a Full Power Super Saiyan, and so genetics cliches play out from there. Him transforming just came naturally to him, though it may have been fueled by that sparring session. Chi-Chi being rough on him him in training had little to do with it, it was just bad timing on her part.

As for Goku Jr., him being pretty timid and cowardly played a part in that, I think. He was angry at himself for not being brave and standing up for himself, something Goku and the other saiyans had no issue with, so compounding that with the moment with not being able to save the bear, which was evidence of his bravery (because that mother bear being with him would not have happened had he not stood for himself and the bear cub), added all up to fuel his transformation.

Back again

I'm too lazy to go see if this was posted earlier in the thread

So you guys may have heard of Ocean Dub, Funimation Dub, Big Green Dub,

But have you heard of the Malaysian Dub?

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes were well aware of that horrid dub. wish HQ versions of it could be found.

Yes were well aware of that amazing dub. wish HQ versions of it could be found.

I don't know about you sir, but I find the Malaysian dub to be a masterpiece.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wait, I'm confused - aren't the Ocean Dub, Westwood Dub and "Big Green" Dub all one and the same? From what I've read it seems to be the case.

No, Ocean was actually competent. Compare that in Big Green Vegeta sounds like an old man, Ocean is over 9000 guy.