Awoo.

Sonic The Fighters Is Coming To XBLA/PSN!

Who cares if they shit out some port to keep we bastards happy, they're obviously working on something, something quite big(?), so why don't we just wait a little and stop whining because we're able to play older games? They're actually keeping something secret for once, after all the flack they got for not keeping things secret!

Do we even know for sure that this is a thing? Imagine all this butthurt was for nothing! :P

• Thumbs Up 7

Man, 2 ports in a row, directly after each other is a bit much.....are they that desperate for money? Like, I knew they had bad money troubles, but is it so bad that they have to do constant re-releases just to keep themselves afloat? That won't work forever, they will run out of games eventually. Sonic The Fighters isn't even a game with a massive fanboy base that will buy the port like SA2, it's not like it will sell as well.

Oh well, it would be a good chance to finally play the game I guess.

Edited by Zero
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just want to finally play this game but I hope this price it as much as Sonic CD as I think that would be reasonable. Hopefully it's coming out on PSN too.

I'd rather see a Heroes port...

Oh well

It already exists... the one on European PSN only? The PS2 Classics one? Yeah.

Edited by The Perplexing Piplup

What do I want from this?

- Add Vector to the cast. Seriously, Bark and Bean got in, but he didn't? Espio's even there...

Why does it matter that Espio's there? They weren't joined at the hip to the extent they are now, and Espio likely got in because it was him that they wanted to promote more (given that there's evidence that suggests that KC was going to have Espio as the star in its early days). Bean and Bark were usual fighter fodder likely because there weren't any more baddies they could call upon (and Bean is a homage anyway).

- More characters would also be nice, like Charmy, or even Mighty and Ray.

Eh, it's unlikely, but whatevs. Not as specific as above so no rebuttals here.

- Maybe make Honey an unlockable character, not that I really care about her.

That would require a LOT of effort comparatively speaking, as her code in the game is pretty broken in the first place.

- Unlockable Metal Sonic.

Like Honey it would be quite the effort, but his code is more complete so it's more likely.

- Achievements, and not stupid ones like "beat the first battle". More interesting ones, like "win a battle without getting hit".

This would be nice. I wouldn't be surprised if there was one for activating Super Sonic if they were implemented.

- Add some more content, like unlockable artwork for completing certain objectives, and unlockable music to play in the stages maybe.

Don't think there are many concept artworks left of StF, so most of it would just retread what Sonic Gems did.

That said, unlocking the Gems remixes of certain StF music in-game would be sweet.

- Fix "Robotonic". It should now be "Eggoman".

PFFFFFFFFFFFFT

Jumping in here from my status. I think it is crazy that people are so freakin' negative on a Sonic the Fighters port (if it is even happening)

Also jumping in here from your status: Why should we be so positive? It's another port of another Sonic game that even in it's time where the thing mixed two of the most popular things in the industry, Sega didn't feel warranted a real release; and regardless of whether it is good for Sega financially to release it why shouldn't we be disappointed that they chose that to spend their time on?

Sonic the Fighters was an inferior version of an already-released game when it was new. The only really notable thing about it was that it was a fighting game with Sonic characters, and that there was a planned Saturn port that was cancelled. Sega's extensive back catalogue from the mid 90s up to the Dreamcast's death provide probably a hundred games they could release that not many played even at the time (for whatever reason) that people would eat up if Sega advertised their rerelease.

The Panzer Dragoon games, the Shenmue games, OutRunners, Sega Rally Championship, Daytona 2, Burning Rangers, Virtua Cop, Ecco, Skies of Arcadia, Golden Axe II from the arcades, whatever. We could even get into stuff of Sega taking their XBL exclusive ports and making them available on PSN (Rez, Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga). And if they feel they must release a Sonic game, why not R? Why not SEGASonic? Why not Chaotix? Or even one of the other Adventure-era titles?

• Old IPs are getting attention again

That's not relevant to this game.

• SEGA has upped their game in the quality department, pushing for as much original content as they can, including bonuses like interviews and music and upgrading the graphics to HD and offering widescreen support

The actual result of that increased quality is... kind of mixed. The Sonic CD rerelease (that they didn't make) was perfection. The Daytona and NiGHTS rereleases are fantastic. The Crazy Taxi and JSR rereleases were either pretty good or just decent depending on who you ask; though at least the former's flaws were understandable based on costs. The most that can be said about the Adventure 2 rerelease is that it wasn't a complete joke like the Adventure DX one, which isn't really a good thing considering how big of a deal they made out of it.

• SEGA has a dedicated porting team, so we can expect a steady stream of classics. Didn't get Sonic R and Chaotix? Well they have a dedicated team who just might get to those titles.

So, again: Why does that hypothetical situation down the line translate to not being disappointed about this, which you keep implying we should?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thing is you are just wasting your breathe (well, in this case your typing fingers) by making such a big deal out of Sonic the Fighters (possibly) getting a rerelease. SEGA has shown that we'll be getting rereleases at a pretty steady pace, so even if you think Sonic the Fighters is a wasted effort, several more rereleases are just around the corner. Already, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue and a Toe Jam & Earl Vintage Collection are rumored to be on the way. Did I say people "should be positive"? No, but I think there is no reason to be so negative.

Also, this isn't JUST Sonic the Fighters. It is also Fighting Vipers and Virtua Fighter 2, two fantastic and superior fighters. For all we know, this could be a Vintage Collection release with all three titles in one download. Or they all could arrive on the same day at reduced prices.

The actual result of that increased quality is... kind of mixed. The Sonic CD rerelease (that they didn't make) was perfection. The Daytona and NiGHTS rereleases are fantastic. The Crazy Taxi and JSR rereleases were either pretty good or just decent depending on who you ask; though at least the former's flaws were understandable based on costs. The most that can be said about the Adventure 2 rerelease is that it wasn't a complete joke like the Adventure DX one, which isn't really a good thing considering how big of a deal they made out of it.
  • Thumbs Up 5

Okay, SEGA is releasing better ports now. But I'd like them to release improved ports. SA2 is a good port in the sense it's exactly like the original now rendered in widescreen, but that's it. It doesn't add anything, fix anything or make any effort to improve things. And in actuality, it's missing some features of the original because they couldn't be bothered to make the small adjustments necessary (several Chao breeds are missing). CD is the only rerelease that's gone above and beyond to really make itself worth a buy. It was riddled with some pretty drastic fixes and a heap load of extras.

JSR manages to integrate all the the soundtracks, and NiGHTS is rather funny. We're playing a solid port of both the Saturn and PS2 versions. But as far as I can tell (having never played it) it's again just put into widescreen and shipped out. Quality has risen to the stage where the ports are acceptable. But they could still stand to do more, especially in the case of Sonic.

We may know nothing of the Sonic the Fighters port yet, so I'm wondering what people are expecting? To make this game worthwhile, SEGA would have to include some good online play. But I'm not sure we'll see that happening.

Edited by Blue Blood

Why does it matter that Espio's there? They weren't joined at the hip to the extent they are now, and Espio likely got in because it was him that they wanted to promote more (given that there's evidence that suggests that KC was going to have Espio as the star in its early days). Bean and Bark were usual fighter fodder likely because there weren't any more baddies they could call upon (and Bean is a homage anyway).

Didn't mean they were joined at the hip, but I said it because they were both in the same game. "Oh, we have a variety of characters in Chaotix, but let's just grab one and instead make a new character and take one from Dynamite Dux". It guess I can understand Bean, but not Bark. Not to mention Vector's "prototype" being in that sound test thing. He's just more deserving of the spot, IMO, especially since they already had the (admittedly scrapped) Honey for a new character.

As I said, none of the Chaotix lot are villains. I know it's already strange that the likes of Tails and Amy are fighting Sonic (both Knuckles and Espio were hot-blooded), but more heroes than them would likely be overkill.

If anyone from Chaotix got into Fighters back then, it would probably be Mighty due to both his pedigree and the fact his model would be easier to make (Bark is pretty much just a modified Knuckles, natch).

But isn't Mighty supposed to be a pacifist? What's he doing in a fighting tournament :P

Am I the only one who thinks that they're releasing all these ports and HD remakes so they can use the money towards whatever big game they're working on?

But no matter what the case is, putting more money into the rereleases and making them actually WORTH your money would pay off for them in the end. Because, guess what...

Making better games gets you more money.

Hoshit.

Well, the balancing is way the fuck off, which is pretty much the ENTIRE FRIGGIN' POINT of competitive games. There are also a shit-ton of unused characters that people would probably like to see playable. I dunno. Maybe people just want good games for their $10.

Well, the balancing is way the fuck off, which is pretty much the ENTIRE FRIGGIN' POINT of competitive games.

I never really thought the balance was off, I just thought it was a rather easy game for single player. Versus mode is pretty fine if you ask me.

There are also a shit-ton of unused characters that people would probably like to see playable.

That's more along the lines of being a pleasant surprise rather than what to expect. Once again, everyone's been spoiled by how far Taxman went with the Sonic CD port.

I dunno. Maybe people just want good games for their $10.

You've not given me one real reason to think the game is bad. Is it short? Yeah. Is it easy? Until the near-end, yeah. But is it bad? I can't say it is.

Edited by Azukara

You've not given me one real reason to think the game is bad. Is it short? Yeah. Is it easy? Until the near-end, yeah. But is it bad? I can't say it is.

It's short, Bark breaks the game, and Metal Sonic fucks you up bad. It's not a bad game, but I sure as hell don't want to spend ten-whole-dollars on it. Maybe like tree-fitty.

Edited by Sexy Nightmaren Reala
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, the balancing is way the fuck off, which is pretty much the ENTIRE FRIGGIN' POINT of competitive games. There are also a shit-ton of unused characters that people would probably like to see playable. I dunno. Maybe people just want good games for their $10.

If there's a PC version, there's gonna be craploads of character hacks,

I might put $5 down on it. Probably no more than that, though. The game's strengths are the art, music, and atmosphere, not the gameplay.

Edited by XD375

It's short, Bark breaks the game, and Metal Sonic fucks you up bad. It's not a bad game, but I sure as hell don't want to spend ten-whole-dollars on it. Maybe like tree-fitty.

Is there really anything worth changing about this game besides online multiplayer and maybe (JUST maybe) a playable Metal Sonic and/or Eggman? Because I'm still not very sure why StF is considered a "piece of shit" and isn't worth porting. Maybe not for $10 but good lord what a sour bunch we are.

You're arguing with me over something I agree with. And you saying its not a bad game doesn't make much sense to me whenever everyone (including you) has been saying its either bad or mediocre.

And an extra note, if its a Sonic game on the PC, there will be hacking.

Edited by Azukara

And you saying its not a bad game doesn't make much sense to me whenever everyone (including you) has been saying its either bad or mediocre.

When did I say it was bad? -goes to look through topic-

I said meh-at-best. I'm confused as to what we're even arguing about.

WHERE AM I

Edited by Sexy Nightmaren Reala

When did I say it was bad? -goes to look through topic-

I said meh-at-best. I'm confused as to what we're even arguing about.

WHERE AM I

You're arguing with me over something I agree with. And you saying its not a bad game doesn't make much sense to me whenever everyone (including you) has been saying its either bad or mediocre.

"Everyone" was hyperbole, and I also included the word "mediocre" which generally also translates to "meh".

Either way, I'm out kiddos, have fun with your expectation levels.

Edited by Azukara

Because I'm still not very sure why StF is considered a "piece of shit" and isn't worth porting.

You're going to be waiting a long time for someone to back up statements they never made.

Which tends to happen when you fabricate sentiments to exaggerate popular opinion. I'll bite anyway though:

And you saying its not a bad game doesn't make much sense to me whenever everyone (including you) has been saying its either bad or mediocre.

You want to know why everyone has been saying it is mediocre and would rather Sega port something else? Because it is.

It has poor character balance. The game engine is nothing but a cutrate version of Virtua Fighter 2's. The interface lacks polish to the nth degree. And everything it did was pretty much replicated by Fighter's Megamix in a far better way, with the exception of the characters chosen. It was a fun little joke project that someone at AM2 threw together and Naka got a laugh out of, so they gave it a limited arcade release. That's all it ever was, and you really shouldn't be surprised that people are treating it as such 15 years after the fact.

Edited by Tornado