Awoo.

Classic Sonic: The Design

The Nike smile is awful and one of the worst things they've ever done to him. I'd take American classic Sonic any day of the week over that monstrosity.

Though to be fair it's still better than that SA:DX render

Sadx_sonic_1024.jpg

oh god get it away

inb4 flickies island boxart

Edited by Kiovle

The Nike smile is awful and one of the worst things they've ever done to him. I'd take American classic Sonic any day of the week over that monstrosity.

Sadx_sonic_1024.jpg

oh god get it away

Here you go.

607px-S3dss-box-jap.jpg

i actually love this boxart tho'

• Thumbs Up 3

The Japanese one. On the American one it looks like they messed up on his quills slightly, anyone noticed that on the American one's quills?

Sadx_sonic_1024.jpg

oh god get it away

I can't help but wonder if they were deliberately trying to be funny with that image, I mean, with the irony that he's flexing his arms when his arms are noodles.

I actually kind of like the 'nike smile' not as it looks in SA, SA2 and heroes, but say, Sonic Unleashed.

Edited by Mysterics

I actually kinda like the Nike smile, to an extent.

But comparing between American Classic and Japanese, I'd have to say American.

Archie American I mean.

As in this;

35-1.jpg

43-1.jpg

30-1.jpg

Mmm.

• Thumbs Up 1

Japanese design all the way! I just love how expressive Sonic is.

...also, am I the only one who kinda likes the SA renders? o.o

You know, we don't always need an image of Sonic doing a great big smile/grin. There are plenty of good images when the Hedgehog does not look happy or has an indifferent expression.

The Sonic 4 images do nothing for me. I don't like the way they were designed. Partly it's the colour, shading and also it's Sonic face. Certainly doesn't feel like clasisc Sonic. Not that Sonic 4 was ever meant to be classic Sonic.

Sonic_pose_111.png

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I can live with the ass face, but I'm somewhat annoyed with Sonic's smile in the more recent 3D renders.

Sonic4Logo-1.png

That mouth really irks the living hell out of me.

And compare that mouth to that Nike style mouth.

sonic2011art1.jpg

Even that Nike smile looks better then that smile sonic has now IMO.

Edited by Mephiles550

No, that edit looks infinitely more terribly forced. Absolutely terrible for that pose and render.

I find agreement in the idea that renders should have a wider variety of expressions, and by extension different smiles now and again. By pasting the cheesy Nike smile does not automatically make the current renders better.

• Thumbs Up 3

sonic2011art1.jpg

Even that Nike smile looks better then that smile sonic has now IMO.

Not really. I'm not exactly a fan of CG!Sonic's current smile, but this edit just looks terrible.

• Thumbs Up 3

sonic2011art1.jpg

What is this, 'spot the difference'?

Both Sonic 4 mouth expressions are naff.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

The Japanese design for Classic Sonic is better than the American one most of the time, but I don't think he's ugly either,

I'll always look back on the American design with fondness as thats the Sonic I grew up with, so its very nostalgic feeling.

Edited by Kamina
  • Thumbs Up 3

Easy, Oshima's design wins, hands down.

The western box art Sonic is okay, I guess, but JP's Sonic just, I dunno... Pops more than mishapen mouse with a mohawk. It's easy to see why he got picked for Generations (looks spectacular in 3D). I do like the "metallic" spray paint like coloring of western Sonic, though.

Fur and flesh shouldn't look like waxy metal.

You know, because JP Sonic's quilt-like texture looks so much like fur.

The American Classic design looks so... awkward. Seriously, his stomach doesn't just look pudgy to me but instead looks genuinely like he's been scoffing a significantly large amount of chili dogs, his legs are short and relatively fat and his arms always looked extremely lanky to me.

And his eyes... his EYES... It's like someone took a stapler and pulled Sonic's eyes up to his forehead, and decided to feed him something to made his pupils incredibly dilated.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another thing is that AmeriClassic doesn't have drawings like this.

458px-Sonicguide29.jpg

Where did you get THAT abomination?

Easy, Oshima's design wins, hands down.

The western box art Sonic is okay, I guess, but JP's Sonic just, I dunno... Pops more than mishapen mouse with a mohawk. It's easy to see why he got picked for Generations (looks spectacular in 3D). I do like the "metallic" spray paint like coloring of western Sonic, though.

You know, because JP Sonic's cloth-like texture looks so much like fur.

The American Classic design looks so... awkward. Seriously, his stomach doesn't just look pudgy to me but instead looks genuinely like he's been scoffing a significantly large amount of chili dogs, his legs are short and relatively fat and his arms always looked extremely lanky to me.

I don't see why so much people wanna gun American Sonic down so much, his design is quite alright. I do think JAP's design is superior, but US Sonic does look kinda badass and looks like he has a can-do additude.