Awoo.

Classic Sonic: The Design

Whenever I draw Japanese Classic Sonic, he comes out fairly well, but I can never seem to get American. He always comes out butt ugly. Oh wait, he already is.

I love it too, but did you realise that it's a fusion of Modern and Classic Sonic? I mean it's really obvious and that's actually the reason I like it. It blends the designs amazingly.

That annoys me to no end. It's a stylised Modern Sonic, not a Classic-Modern hybrid. I like it as a figure, but not a design.

Haha well whatever it is I like it the most. The green eyes are probably the most modern aspect to it I'd say!

My figurine sits on top of my stereo holding the chaos emerald :)

its Modern Deformed Sonic, it's keeping with Goodsmile's famous chibi style where they take existing characters and shrink them in size, add masses amounts of cute and give them several expressions and props from their respective series.

they normally focus only on Anime, but Sonic's 20th proved special enough to receive the attention.

I much prefer the Japanese design of Classic Sonic, and the best example of how badly they botched his design comes straight from Sonic CD.

SonicCDFront.jpg

EPIC!

Sonic+CD+(USA).png

Wha?

Edited by Hatsune Miku

In some cases, I actually kind of prefer Assic Sonic over Classic Sonic, but that's just because I grew up with that version. It's nostalgic to me and that's about all that's going for it nowadays. From an objective standpoint, the Oshima-Japanese style is best, and I was happy to see it return in Generations, and I hope they use it for future 2D games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I much prefer the Japanese design of Classic Sonic, and the best example of how badly they botched his design comes straight from Sonic CD.

SonicCDFront.jpg

EPIC!

Sonic+CD+(USA).png

Wha?

To be fair, this American picture of Sonic is one of the better ones.

Is Sonic on top of an expoding robot generator (i.e. found the Past)? I always wonderered what that was on the box art.

To be fair, this American picture of Sonic is one of the better ones.

Is Sonic on top of an expoding robot generator (i.e. found the Past)? I always wonderered what that was on the box art.

It's a Special Stage UFO. The box art is based entirely on the first Special Stage in the game;

cd_29.gif

See the crystal and planet on the box art? Yeah.

• Thumbs Up 4

Assic Sonic is hideous, and Classic Sonic is... meh. Personally I think they struck gold with 2007-present Sonic. He has the "bendy-cool" look of Millennium Era Sonic, the "dude with the 'tude" look of Buttface, and above all, the "awww" factor of JP Sonic, while looking better than all of them. I'm twenty-one and a straight male, but if (Modern) Sonic wanted a hug I'd so give him one...

Never liked the western style.

sonic4classic2.jpg

This right here is what it's all about.

It's a Special Stage UFO. The box art is based entirely on the first Special Stage in the game;

cd_29.gif

See the crystal and planet on the box art? Yeah.

Oh wow, yeah your right. The box art is true to the first special stage right down to the Time Stone you get which is green.

Kind of weird to have a special stage theme on Sonic box art. It looks cool though.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I love them both. Really, I don't have complaints about either. Both have a special place in my heart as a fan. One represents my childhood (American art) and one represents what I strived to replicate when I was drawing in the early 90's (Japanese).

28198812011437808257210.jpg

58MNn.jpg

I like these experimental designs Naoto Oshima was dicking around with the best, tbh.

Also a big, hearty LOL at those complaining that pupil-blinking is an American creation of Satan when he did the exact same thing in the Sonic OVA.

I don't think they're complaining that it's an "American creation"

I think it's because it looks just plain freaky.

I have been looking to see if I could find some JP and US artwork for Sonic Spinball. This is what I could find:

JP:

352px-Sonic-Spinball-%28japanese%29.png Sonic_pose_5.jpg

US art:

Sonic_Spinball_%28Genesis%29.gif

I had never seen the Japanese artwork or box art until today. It looks great, but in this instance I prefer the US art.

Edited by MilesKnightwing
  • Thumbs Up 1

One thing that always bugged me about the western cover art is how they copy&paste the (almost exact) same face onto each Sonic.

copypasta.jpg

...And wtf is going on with the top ones eyes?

This is probably why I prefer American Sonic in images like this.

250px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Chaos_Coverart.png

Because he really doesn't look to bad here.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's a question. Why did it take so long for the American sonic to gain that buckle on his shoe?

My personal favourite artwork is stuff like this, from Sonic the Screensaver:

500px-sonic-the-screen-saver-jukebox.png

He's adorable!

I never noticed that before, now I hate ol' Buttface even more...

To be honest I didn't realise just how identical they were until I put the pictures together tongue.png

Edited by Guest

This is probably why I prefer American Sonic in images like this.

250px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Chaos_Coverart.png

Because he really doesn't look to bad here.

Looks like a Japanese-American hybrid.