Awoo.

Classic Sonic: The Design

Looks-wise, he's alright, though he still does that disturbing "blinking pupils" thing. Personality-wise, on the other hand...

Yeah, the blinking eyes are weird, but I like his personality.

Edited by BlueBlurMe
  • Thumbs Up 1

I prefer the Eu Box art for Sonic 3 which looks so cool.

I must disagree with you here, I personally think that EU Sonic 3 Sonic is one of the most grotesque Sonics the franchise has ever had. It's one of those times where the 'European flair' doesn't do anything for it.

For Sonic CD Japanese there is also:

Sonic07_32.jpg which looks slightly different. Sonic is smiling.

And:

Sonic_and_Amy_1.png

...poor Sonic he looks so annoyed. Great picture though.

Edited by MilesKnightwing
  • Thumbs Up 1

And:

Sonic_and_Amy_1.png

...poor Sonic he looks so annoyed. Great picture though.

I wouldn't blame him. A crazy little girl in love with him would be annoying.

Edited by BlueBlurMe

Stop the presses. Screw both designs. THIS should have been the universal Sonic The Hedgehog design. (the one on the bottom left, of course.)

455px-260017-s1_needlemouse_super.jpg

I wouldn't blame him. A crazy little girl in love with him must get him annoyed.

GOD IT PROBABLY SUCKS SO MUCH TO BE LOVED

POOR SONIC HE MUST REALLY HAVE IT TOUGH HAVING PROBABLY THE ONLY FEMALE HEDGEHOG ON THE PLANET IT LOVE WITH HIM

BOO HOO HOO

Sonic's such a fag.

• Thumbs Up 2

Stop the presses. Screw both designs. THIS should have been the universal Sonic The Hedgehog design. (the one on the bottom left, of course.)

455px-260017-s1_needlemouse_super.jpg

Top left is Needlemouse in his true form.

Bottom left is Sonic 4's original design.

Top right kind of looks like Uncle Chuck.

Back on topic with both the Japanese & American design, along with the design I showed a few posts ago as a suggestion for the American design, this also could've been a good choice. Though it's Japanese art, it has that American feel, and that "hip, cool and with an attitude" thing they were going with.

Sonic_19.png

I still find it sad that the Japanese design was never brought over here to the US, because Madeline Schroeder thought it looked "too Japanese".

• Thumbs Up 2

POOR SONIC HE MUST REALLY HAVE IT TOUGH HAVING PROBABLY THE ONLY FEMALE HEDGEHOG ON THE PLANET IT LOVE WITH HIM

BOO HOO HOO

Sonic's such a fag.

Some dudes just don't want it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can understand people not liking the messy drawing of him on the US sonic 3 boxart. But was the sonic 1 boxart US drawing of him that bad? I really love that one. Even though Yuji Naka hated it back then.

• Thumbs Up 2

That fact that it looks so forced.

The Sonic image MilesKnightwing posted a few posts above of Sonic tightening his glove on his hand looks natural. Sonic has a neutral expression like he's just noticed someone watching him do a motion as natural as making himself look neater and he doesn't care what they think of his primness.

Ass face purposefully holding up 3 fingers and leering at you looks forced, unfriendly, unnatural.

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personality-wise, on the other hand...

SatAM Sonic isn't as stupid or jerkish as people think. :P There's more to him than that, and I could go on about it for a while, but since that isn't what this topic's about...

I actually like the US design as it was used in SatAM, besides the blinking pupils. What I find interesting is that the show's OP does not use blinking pupils in several of the scenes. It makes me wonder if that was done to make it easier to animate/color, since it's traditionally drawn.

They also stopped using the American design in the mid-90's because when I was in grade school, all the Sonic merch I saw was of his JP look.

i'm not big on Classic Sonic's design, but if i must choose one it'd have to be CD's intro and Outro iteration of him.

more of an Adventure/2 design fan.

My idea of what Sonic looked like back in the 90s was basically this from the Archie comics, so I suppose on those grounds I preferred one American rendition of Sonic over the rest, including the Japanese art. Sonic from the Sonic CD animation is a close second, though.

Oh, and I liked how he looked in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LecH7KTDGAo.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah, Spaz did a great Sonic. I could see a lot of influences from various designs of classic Sonic designs.

sonic045.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Classic Sonic's design is uncool.

First there's the belly. Classic Sonic is fat which is totally uncool.

Next there is the issue with the black eyes. They make him look soulless.

And last but not least he looks like a ripoff of a fucking Disney character.

The only time that the classic Sonic design looked cool was in Satam

I honestly don't like either render of Classic Sonic in the OP, and that's probably because I'm really not a fan of Classic Sonic and the way that he looks (although I thought SatAM Sonic was okay). Modern Sonic just looks better to me; a lot better. But if I had to go with which of the two among Classic Sonic that looks better, I would defintely say the the Japanese one. The American Sonic is ugly and rough-looking (that "buttbrow"!) in comparison. Also I think that the American render has Sonic looking angry, which is unfitting to his personality. Yet, the American design of Classic Sonic it is very nostalgic in my eyes from the boxart covers from the Sega Genesis back in the day.

I never saw the Japanese renders of Classic Sonic until recently, so the American renders had to do something for me to get me hooked on Sonic...I thought Sonic looked cool back then with the American designs being all that I was exposed to, not to mention I grew up on them. Now I think it looks pretty bad. The Japanese ones look much better with Sonic looking more warm and friendly.

I never ran across a render of Classic Sonic that I really liked until Sonic Generations rolled around:

148px-Classic_Sonic_Bio.png

Absolutely adorable. Classic Sonic's facial expressions, as funny and expressive as they were, fairly made up for the fact that he didn't talk in Sonic Generations.

I feel like the original classic Sonic was designed more to be cool, and for Generations's Classic Sonic they emphasised cuteness instead because coolness was already taken by Modern. I'm not really sure Generations represents a really accurate incarnation of classic Sonic in the form of Classic Sonic. I guess it doesn't really matter, unless they intend to use Classic Sonic again, which they don't seem to...

BOO HOO HOO

Sonic's such a fag.

To be fair, back in the Sonic CD days, Amy was way to young to be of any use to him.

These days though, Sonic aint got no excuse and his closeted leanings shine through for everyone to see. "Hes only in love with adventure" my ass.

Because God forbid that a boy may not want to go into any sort of relationship at 15 years old. Not returning girls' affection by then must mean that he swings the other way. dry.png

• Thumbs Up 3

I hate Cutesy Poo Japanese Classic Sonic and Angry Radicool American Classic Sonic.

I'm more partial to this design:

sega-sonic1.jpg

Classic_Sonic.png

It's probably just Japanese Sonic with different shading but it annoys me much less than "cutesy poo Sonic".

• Thumbs Up 2

I consider Sonic 3d blast desgins still classic Sonic as it was made in 1996.

I don't think much of the Sonic 3D Blast/Flickies Island renders of Sonic. I liked the game though. Neither the Eu or US box art looks particular good. I think I prefer the Jp box art

185px-A.jpg185px-Df.jpg185px-Sa.jpg

Here's some of the Sonic 3d artwork:

I assume this is Japanese art.

185px-Sonic_3DFlickies.jpg

This is US art

115px-Sonic_31.png160px-Sonic_32.png173px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_-_3D_Render.png