Awoo.

Ratchet & Clank Collection (PS3)

I cleared Ratchet and Clank (1) today and..... disliked it. I'm sorry but I really don't like this game. First of all I can understand that it was first game in the series so little annoying things like 4 lives is okay BUT. Gun-play SUCKS. It's really awkward to aim. Especially with Blaster and other quick-shooting weapons (Thank god for Tesla Spike! Autoaim FTW!!!) . Another thing that was freakishly annoying? Quick Select wheel! It didn't stop the time! How I was supposed to decide my weapon if enemies literally killed me on the screen! More? Game was unfair! One of the planets' grinding section (I think it was Kalebo) had trains. Those mother%!(*$@! trains! Died so many times here 'cause those STUPID trains were coming from angles I could not see! I had to memorize trains positions to clear this part! Continue points were really rare and that was pain in my butt to get some goodies. Story wasn't that good either and it was hard to hear what characters were saying at times.

Overall I hate this game. HATE. I can't be too mad about it though. It gave start to amazing Future Trilogy and (of course) 2 and 3. Talking about 2. I played some of it and absolutely LOVE this game. Everything is better! You can strafe normally without this stupid jet-pack, controls are better, weapon and nanotech upgrades are here, storyline is funny. It's perfect. Just perfect. Can't say will I favor it over aCiT and ToD but it's miles better than QfB and A4O.

I still like the original Ratchet and Clank more than All 4 One. Probably Tools of Destruction too.

Gun play "sucks" because the game is more of a traditional 3D platformer than a third person action game. And no, the Quick Select wheel doesn't freeze time. If you die because if it that's kind of.. your fault. Same with the trains.

And I'm sorry but I would never take Tools of Destruction over Going Commando. I still like it but the game has too many flaws and a lot of it is just really boring recycled shit from previous games that wasn't done as well as it was before.

Ignoring All 4 One I'd say it's the worst main series Ratchet game.

Edited by Chooch

I only played the original fully, and I loved the shit out of it. What's so "Bad" about Tools of Destruction anyway?

I only played the original fully, and I loved the shit out of it. What's so "Bad" about Tools of Destruction anyway?

This is what I want to know. I loved ToD, as it's my first R&C game, but I still will take ACiT over any Ratchet & Clank game anyday.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't played the original Ratchet & Clank in forever, it'll be interesting to revisit it. I love GC and UYA, and I never got the change to play UYA's online.

What's so "Bad" about Tools of Destruction anyway?

This is what I want to know. I loved ToD

Tools of Destruction isn't a "bad" game. I wouldn't really call any of the main series Ratchet games "bad." Not even All 4 One.

The problem that I have with Tools of Destruction lies in the fact that, as I said earlier, a lot of it is boring and recycled shit from previous games that was done better before. Only a handful of weapons are genuinely unique. Most others are just less interesting retreads of weapons from previous games in the series.

The biggest addition to the game (and easily the best) are the combat devices but as cool as they are they don't make up for the absolute crap (and painfully small) collection of weapons that you get. It didn't help that the RYNO IV was such a pain to acquire and then wasn't even as cool as any of the previous incarnations.

I play through the game and I can't help but feel like Insomniac wasn't sure what they were going for when transitioning Ratchet from the PS2 to the PS3. They just threw in a bunch of stuff from the previous games that worked generally well for them and called it a day. It's.. kinda half-assed, to be frank.

The space combat is half-assed, the weapons are half-assed... The arena? They didn't even fucking try to make it any good. It's ridiculous how unsubstantial and pointless the arena in Tools of Destruction was considering how much replay value could be garnered from it in Going Commando and Up Your Aresnal.

What happened to having more than two bosses? What happened to stuff like the Impossible / Qwarktastic Challenge? The arena is absolute shit.

I'm sure you're able to appreciate a lot more if it's the first Ratchet game you've ever played and I reiterate that it's not a "bad" game at all whatsoever, but I've been following this series since the very beginning. I grew up with it. I've seen it evolve and grow into what it is now.

Going from "good" to "great" to "fantastic" back to "good" and then too "okay, I guess" it's still a noticeable drop in quality. I think every Ratchet game sans All 4 One kicks the shit out of it.

Edited by Chooch

I never saw much appeal in Ratchet 1, it was really clunky and hard as shit at times, not to mention the guns really sucked. Maybe I just fell this way because 2 and 3 were such huge leaps in quality that I really don't put the original in very high regard.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never saw much appeal in Ratchet 1, it was really clunky and hard as shit at times, not to mention the guns really sucked. Maybe I just fell this way because 2 and 3 were such huge leaps in quality that I really don't put the original in very high regard.

The only thing I didn't like about Ratchet 1 was because of the lack of a strafe feature, so it's very hard to aim at some enemies with your weapons. Other than that, I loved it. One of my favorite PS2 games.

I really couldn't find anything wrong with Ratchet 1, I remember after I beat it, I started it over again just so I could get the gold upgrades for all of the weapons, I think I played that game the most that Christmas, it just was so damn fun, I never got around to playing "Going Commando" or "Up Your Arsenal" so naturally I'm excited about this.

I'll probably play the "Future" series as well eventually, I only played the demo and watched LP's but they look fun, plus they seem to have a pretty interesting story considering it's a platform game, which is basically a rarity in today's age.

• Thumbs Up 1

The first ratchet isn't bad, but after playing pretty much any of the others it's like going from Sonic 2 to Sonic 1. Yeah, it's fun, but you can tell the series hasn't really "found itself" yet.

I think Crack in Time was the best one overall. That game just did everything right.

• Thumbs Up 4

The first ratchet isn't bad, but after playing pretty much any of the others it's like going from Sonic 2 to Sonic 1. Yeah, it's fun, but you can tell the series hasn't really "found itself" yet.

I think Crack in Time was the best one overall. That game just did everything right.

This. It also may as be one of the best video games of all-time.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dude, Deadlocked is gonna be a downloadable title on PSN.

Yes, but it won't be a pre-order bonus. Or will it?

This is factually correct in all fronts, no questions asked.

Any newbie to the franchise that picks up the collection and likes it should, by all means, grab ToD, beat it and move on to ACiT. While it's true ToD is rather by-the-book in its execution, ACiT will pick up afterwards and shower Ratchet fans in Qwarktastic awesomeness of the highest calibre.

Edited by Dobkeratops

So I take it nobody cares about Quest for Booty huh?

It was only fun for the first time I played it. I barely touched it after I completed it. It's just too short, and the game feels downplayed.

Yeah, it's a tiny slice that (inconsequentially) bridges the two big PS3 games. As with the above poster, while I had a fun couple hours there's little to none replay value.

If you can get it for $5 it's fine, but you won't miss a lot bypassing it.

I like it. It's cute.

..That's probably the best way for me to describe it.

Edited by Chooch

I do. It's my first Ratchet game and had some interesting ideas that I love in this game. One word: Dialogues. I loved that you could talk to almost everyone and ask for things. Some of the previous (and future) games had stuff like this but not to the extent of QfB. I still think they should push this aspect to extreme in future Ratchet games.

I want to ask. When you were in cave and Talwyn was trapped what response to her question (Will you come back for me?) you took. I decided for "I don't promise anything". Such a douchebag reply.....

• 2 weeks later...

I just played the game for the first time last night, and I must say. Tis' an amazing game. Just like I remember it a few years ago.

Edited by Felix

I just played the game for the first time last night, and I must say. Tis' an amazing game.

I thought you played these games before huh.png

I never beat the original because the final boss was such a tough donkey doodle. It was nigh impossible for my young mind to beat at the time.

I never beat the original because the final boss was such a tough donkey doodle. It was nigh impossible for my young mind to beat at the time.

You are not alone. Final boss is a pain to beat. ..Unless you have the RYNO, or Gold Weapons.

You are not alone. Final boss is a pain to beat. ..Unless you have the RYNO, or Gold Weapons.

Oh yeah, I tried to get those, but bolts are so hard to come by in Ratchet 1 that it was the equivalent of grinding in a JRPG from the 80s.

I'm actually interested in getting this collection. Although, is it worth getting this over say the Sly or Jak & Daxter HD collections?