Awoo.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 Reviews

BlazingTales

That would be so incredibly immature that it would honestly be funny. Any developer that acts that way should GTFO of this industry. And besides, SEGA didn't do much of the work. It was mostly Dumps, so if anything, this will just serve as a wake up call to either outsource to a more competent developer, or develop the games themselves.

I would love to see it outsourced to a company that is really passionate about the Classic series, like how Sumo Digital have proven themselves to be the ideal choice as developers for the Sega All Stars games. Either that or, like you said, Sonic Team themselves ought to go all out to produce an installment with the same level of heart that they put into Generations' Classic.

Edited by Lungo

That would be so incredibly immature that it would honestly be funny. Any developer that acts that way should GTFO of this industry. And besides, SEGA didn't do much of the work. It was mostly Dumps, so if anything, this will just serve as a wake up call to either outsource to a more competent developer, or develop the games themselves.

At this point would you really be surprised?

They act like they've been trying really hard and maybe if it's still not good enough they'll just call it quits and go back to making Shadow The Hedgehog quality games, besides their financial situation is bad so they'd be even more hesitant to put effort into games rather than making a quick buck.

Anyone who thinks poor reviews will simply lead to sourcing it to someone else and them making a better Episode 3 is naive. They'll just pull the plug and cut their losses.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 6

Anyone who thinks poor reviews will simply lead to sourcing it to someone else and them making a better Episode 3 is naive. They'll just pull the plug and cut their losses.

I don't see it actually happening, but boy would it be all kinds of swell. (For a new game that is, not Sonic 4. They're far better off moving on.)

Edited by Lungo
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just find it funny that they might of went ahead and nixed some episodes because of how little the fans thought about the effort put into them. If that isn't a wake up call to them then I can see why they're in such a sad financial state.

I don't think anyone expects SEGA to drop Dimps. They've been working together since Pocket Adventure and have a great relationship. Not to mention Dimps have produced some of the best received and best selling Sonic games.

Anyway, since MetaCritic likes to be slow and not even add all reviews, I worked it out myself. Going by all 22 reviews so far, Episode 2 has an average score of 71.45.

... I'm not the only one who found this review a bit aggravating to read, right?

Definitely not. It's a pretty shoddy review right there.

• Thumbs Up 3

Gamerankings currently lists Episode II at 61.43% for the 360 version and 57.00% for the PS3 version respectively. 360 version is based on 7 reviews, PS3 version is based on 2 reviews.

I question comments like those that praise the Metal Sonic stages and lambast Tails for his very presence alone.

That's because Metal Sonic is basically another Sonic in this game.

Jim Sterling seems to be all fat and happy with himself (via twitter):

Wow, looks like most reviewers were with me on Sonic 4: Episode 2. Always a nice surprise to not be the guy screaming on his own.

Always nice to see professional reviewers getting off on peers sharing an opinion with them.

*Jim has a few friends assist him out of his chair so he can do a "I was right and you were wrong, oh but you personally liked the game? well too bad because I gave it a poor score which invalidates your opinion" dance but Jim stops his friends halfway, has them sit him back down and he orders them to bring him a dozen pizzas*

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 4

The only thing that pisses me off about all this is that idiots are gonna reinstate the fucking Sonic Cycle...

• Thumbs Up 6

The only thing that pisses me off about all this is that idiots are gonna reinstate the fucking Sonic Cycle...

Just rebuke them with the exceptions that are Colors and Generations.

You mean they wasn't doing that already with S4EP 2, or Generations, or Colors, Ep1, etc ?

Edited by sonfan1984

You mean they wasn't doing that already when they saw S4EP 2, or Generations, or Colors, Ep1, etc ?

...Touche.

surely Ep2 doesn't really count in Sonic Cycle either because there isn't really a game-killing gimmick. It's what everyone expected and asked for.. just mediocrely executed.

Edited by SuperLink

Good.

Jim Sterling seems to be all fat and happy with himself (via twitter):

Always nice to see professional reviewers getting off on peers sharing an opinion with them.

*Jim has a few friends assist him out of his chair so he can do a "I was right and you were wrong, oh but you personally liked the game? well too bad because I gave it a poor score which invalidates your opinion" dance but Jim stops his friends halfway, has them sit him back down and he orders them to bring him a dozen pizzas*

I don't see anything wrong with the comment, and I don't even like Sterling.

so i've just finished it recently and my verdict is...

60/100

its tons better than Ep.1, Sonic's run animation is better but he's still heavy as fuck and still doesn't speed up, they've nerfed his jump dash to the point of if you repeat the jump dash too quickly it performs a slow down which often sends you back instead of forward, lol what?

however it was very fun, the team up gimmicks where pretty nifty! i thought they where going to be slow and Dimps where gonna force us to use them at every point in game but no, a few areas require them but thats it, there is a distinct feel of freedom and exploration in it which i love

now i'll break down the zones.

Sylvania Castle -

do you know how fucking happy i am to have a first stage that ISN'T Greenhill!? THANK YOU SEGA

funnies aside though, the stages are simple and very bland with few enemies and hazards, however some of the level gimmicks are actually.. pretty fun! Act 3's homing attack platform chain was surprisingly satisfying and the location was gorgeous, the music wasn't anything special though.

White Park -

the music is annoying... but the stage is alright in act 1, still hate snow levels, you can blame Donkey Kong Country for that... but yeah, first stage was pretty bland and most of it was on rails anyway, second stage had good music, visually gorgeous, like i mean WOW that background is insane! i do however fucking HATE the moving track pieces, they where annoying and oh my god please stop fucking SQUASHING ME, Act 3 i found i spent most of my time mashing A to make tails swim, pretty boring and bland.

Oil Desert

Act one, FUCK THIS, FUCK IT TO HELL i HATE that stupid sandstorm gimmick it pisses me the hell off, with how heavy sonic is and slippery his controls are on platforms while being tossed about by the wind is shit, and the bit near the end where you need to fly with tails and avoid the flame badniks can suck a long one too, the music is awesome though. Act 2 is much better, getting rid of the sandstorm shit and concentrating on the platforming, loved it, music is a bit strange though, act 3 was also good, loved the adrenaline pumping trap sections and the oil spill graphics are insanely good.

Sky Fortress

Act 1 HOOOOLY SHIT this is fucking AWESOME the only thing that irked me was the homing attack tends to cut out and lose target during enemy chains near the end, but oh my god i love this stage, even Metal Sonic trolling you from the background, music is love <3

Act 2 - things get better and better, its so fast, furious and fluent and that music! <333 i never thought SEGA would actually go back to the Wing Fortress formula and make it GOOD, i fucking LOAHE Wing Fortress from Sonic 2, its annoying music and shit level design, and lolbottomless pits but this... this whole Zone as a whole sits as my number one favourite level in a sonic game, its That good in my eyes

Act 3 - the sunset view the music and the ring tunnel gimmicks... Everything make for a perfect zone.

Death Egg Mk.II

this level gave me vertigo it moves with you as the screen tilts as you traverse inclines and shit, its fucking awesome it gave me a nostalgia boner when it reminded me so much of Cyber Track from Sonic Advance 3... and that Stardust Speedway rematch race... <3

Bosses

Egg Flower Serpant

i loved it, when Eggman raises the Aquatic Ruin pillars, i sighed and thought "not another rehash" but then he laughs and SMASHES them whilst this hulking mech appears from nowhere, it looks amazing for an Eggman mech! it was a little too easy though... but what was i expecting for a first boss?

Metal Sonic

the music in this stage is pretty good, running a close second place as best tune in the game next to Sky Fortress as a whole, but man this battle is great, Metal has learned some new tricks and he kicks ass, still Sonic's slowdown in this battle greatly kills the hype as it takes 5 or so seconds to get back up to speed : /

Scrap Giant

i hate this boss, the whole block fall down part of the battle seriously killed my hype for it, nothing special, however its not another rehashed boss which is always good.

Metal Sonic Airship

again sonic's slowdown kills all the hype for this battle, its still pretty good though, those lasers can go fuck themselves though.

Eggman & Metal Sonic Team up

ugh, just ugh lets move along shall we?

Metal Sonic Race

well... who was expecting another race showdown? not me /sarcasm

but it certainly was a good call, if only for the nostalgia boner, and seeing metal killed by a more menacing uhh.. wall

Egg Heart

hate this boss, hate hate hate, it wouldn't be so bad if Eggman's gyro motion didn't trap me under his mech where the spikes are, and anything that electrifies me, pisses me the fuck off, still a challenging unique final boss, refreshing.

and finally the special zones

the difficulty has been lowered greatly since the Ep 1. special stages which is a good thing, the zones are easily done, even the 7th and the gimmicks of being able to speed up made retrying failed stages again better, they fixed all the problems from Sonic 2's special stages, and music is tolerable.

overall i really enjoyed it! it was far better than my expectations and kept me entertained for a while, i could sit and gush about sky fortress' magnificence all day but i'll save you all the trouble, now please excuse me whilst i go change my text tone and my ring tone to Sky Fortess act 1 & 2 <3

• Thumbs Up 1

Blimey, all these low scorers! I don't think SEGA expected this after E2 got such a positive fan response.

Time to ditch Dimps? Yep.

Ditch Dimps? Oh yes please...I'm loving Episode 2, but it doesn't hold a candle to even the Classic levels in Generations IMO.

The only levels I REALLY enjoyed are the whole of Sky Fortress and Death Egg mk.II (Act 1), all the rest are pretty standard...especially Oil Desert which is just boring to play.

Dimps should stick with making DBZ games, they'll do some good there because I don't think DBZ games can get any worse after Dragonball Z for Kinect comes out...

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 1

From what I heard (and from what the credits point to) was that while Dimps did develop the game, much of the work for Episode II was done by SEGA Shanghai software. It was more like SEGA Shanghai software telling Dimps what to do.

The Director is not a Dimps staff member, the first producers listed are from SEGA Shanghai software. Dimps is only in cooperation with, seemingly taking direction from Iizuka, the director (who I think is also a Sonic Team member) and SEGA Shanghai software.

So when people get all pissy about Dimps and want to give them the boot, seems they half got their wish. Dimps role has lessened with ep II.

Or...let Dimps make Rush games again. Not games Sega commisions them to make as a port or faux retro game. A console Sonic Rush would be great.

Anyways, I like the game more than most. 7.5/10. The game is harder than EP.1, but it's a fair challenge aside from Sky Fortress Act 1 and the auto-fly "break through the barriers!" bs. It was a fun game, and I thoughtEP.1 was 4/10.

Edited by Crazizzle

From what I heard (and from what the credits point to) was that while Dimps did develop the game, much of the work for Episode II was done by SEGA Shanghai software. It was more like SEGA Shanghai software telling Dimps what to do.

The Director is not a Dimps staff member, the first producers listed are from SEGA Shanghai software. Dimps is only in cooperation with, seemingly taking direction from Iizuka, the director (who I think is also a Sonic Team member) and SEGA Shanghai software.

So when people get all pissy about Dimps and want to give them the boot, seems they half got their wish. Dimps role has lessened with ep II.

You know what I'd like to see? A Dimps analysis thread that uses evidence from the credits and elsewhere to assess how much of a role Dimps actually had in any Sonic game they've worked on. Because it's not like they would have developed any of their games in a vacuum.

I don't think Dimps role has lessened much at all. These are the credits from E1 (list shortened because everyone after this worked on the business side of things, not the physical development):

Created by Sonic Team

Producer: Takashi Iizuka

Director: Toshiyuki Nagahara

Art Director: Hideaki Moriya

Technical Director: Makoto Suzuki

Sound Producer & Music Composer: Jun Senoue

Artists: Yuji Uekawa, Shinji Matsuura, Michikazu Tamamura

Technical Support: Akira Kanasugi, Hideki Kudo, Hiroto Hayashi, Masanobu Yanagisako, Mito Yoshida, Noriyuki Tarumi, Yoshifumi Okada

In cooperation with Dimps Digital Innovator

Producer: Hiroyuki Kawano

Line Producer: Kouichi Sakita

Lead Designer: Yukihiro Higashi

Designers: Kenji Ayukawa, Ayano Komatsu, Ayako Kurita

Technical Manager: Hiroshi Waki

Technical Support: Syuichi Goto, Takashi Nakano, Daisuke Kanauchi

Product Engineering Manager: Masahisa Naganuma

Product Engineering Support: Masaki Tanaka, Kazuhiro Gotani

Lead Programmer: Katsuya Kuramoto

Programmers: Koji Okugawa, Chinami Ishizaki, Kouhei Hanaoka, Satoshi Akitomi, Kouji Hokazono, Keisuke Tanaka, Kazuki Yoshida, Takashi Yamatani (Ei-Chi), Kosuke Yurita (SAFARI GAMES)

Additional Art Manager: Kazuhiko Yamamoto

Lead Artist: Nobuyuki Kuroki

Artists: Yuko Yamanoue, Etsuko Hosokawa, Kaori Aoyama, Sadaki Matsumoto, Maki Fukunaga, Shinji Nohara, Maki Terasaka, Yumi Okamura, Mai Miyamoto, Rika Nagayasu (NEURON- AGE), Shingo Hirotani (NEURON- AGE), Makoto Hasegawa (NEURON- AGE), Takahiro Tsukamoto (ACCESS GAMES)

Sound Support: Atsuyoshi Isemura

With E1, Dimps seemingly took the reigns when it came to developing the game, while SEGA/Sonic Team mainly just oversaw the development and provided the music. It would seem Sonic Team actually worked quite closely with Dimps when it came to Technical Support, presumably because that would allow them to have the game made the way they want or something (idk, I'm probably just talking out of my ass). All the programming, art and design was managed by Dimps. They even had their own producer for the game, which leads me to think that Iizuka, the Sonic Team given producer, took a far more executive role and wasn't really involved much at all.

Come http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFGyW3BsPbo, SEGA Shanghai and Tose appear out of nowhere. However, it's when it says "Original Game By..." that's when Dimps appears, so I'm firmly in the belief that SEGA Shanghai and Tose worked only on porting the game to different platforms and had far less significant roles in production than Dimps. Kind of like how Taxman remade Sonic CD for iPhone and Blit Software were drafted in to handle the ports. The list of Sonic Team staff is no different to E1, and Dimps role has stayed exactly the same as well. Except for one thing...

... According to the credits, practically all of the game art was handled by "Xeen Software". That's quite interesting. I didn't realise that until researching for this post, lol. They did everything from character art and animation, to the user interface and visual effects. Apparently Dimps did fuck all with the art this time. So that's the only part of out wish we got granted then. Which is good cause E2 is pretty, and E1 is a bloody eyesore.

Both Episodes were made with Dimps at the helm and Sonic Team overseeing production. It's only in E2 where a different set of artists were contracted.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

I say we tip over the Dimps building!

EDIT: Seriously though, it's hard to believe how Dimps went from the Advance games to this, the steady decline in the quality of their 2D games is kind of funny to me, only because I can't fathom how it happened under all our noses. What other games does Dimps make anyway besides watered down versions of Sonic Team games and lackluster 2D outings?

Edited by SuperJXJ