Awoo.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 Reviews

BlazingTales

Okay, yeah, giving S4E2 a 9/10 is wayyy too generous, and I even liked the game a good bit.

I actually wish this game to get mediocre ratings, even if it'd make lower than Episode 1. Maybe lower scores would convince Sega to either drop Dimps or get their act together and heighten their standards for this saga.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't fully agree with Dreadknux, particularly about the "true sequel" bit (I personally think it's only a few notches short), but he's certainly approaching the game in a way that I'm kind of envious about. I want to look at EPII from a different point of view and see if it even compares. It certainly has more heart put into it.

While I think a 9 is a bit high, it's nice to see that there are people who are able to love this game in such a way. It's his opinion, and that's what matters!

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 7

Yeah I can see where there was a good bit of heart put into the game, and actually I loved lots of things about this game that people tend to go "meh" about. It's the 'true sequel' bit that's leaving me thinking he was being too generous.

Not because those games are on an untouchable pedestal and this game is garbage, but because the gameplay focus (while not too distanced) isn't consistent enough with the previous 3 games to consider as a definitive 'true sequel'.

I mean opinions are opinions and all, but hey.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get rid of the automation and I'll be able to see where he's coming from, even if there is more to this game that I feel is inherently different from the Genesis originals than just the springs and boosters. Sky Fortress 2 and 3 were the levels where things started to feel more involved, but that was about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't say I'm actually surprised by Dread's review- he gave E1 an 86%, Colours Wii a 93% and Generations HD an 88%, all of which I'd put at least a little bit lower if not a hell of a lot lower. Different standards and/or opinions about what makes a good game and all that.

But I really don't see how S4E2 can be considered a true sequel to the classics. It just... isn't. But whatever.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hey, no offense bro, but we get it. Not only that, I haven't actually seen anybody attack you or any other member for disliking the game since the reviews started pouring in.

I was referring to the whole "They must be giving it 5/10 because *bullshit reason". No, many of them aren't (I'll concede that some of the written reviews are idiotic, no matter how much I agree with the score). I believe the game deserves it; am I "only giving it the score I gave Ep. 1"?

No, just like everyone is allowed to say that the game totally deserves an 8/10, I'm going to say that the game deserves a 5/10. No bullshit attached.

• Thumbs Up 4

In my opinion Biased good reviews are just as bad as biased negative reviews

I am dissapoint svend

Edited by Djawed
  • Thumbs Up 1

I feel like I'm dodging bullets by having not bought either Episode 1 or 2. Because I didn't spend my cash I'm not raeging and crusading as hard as others, I don't really care as much. I haven't bought either because I haven't been impelled to do so, both games seem lazy, and the fact that in 2012 DIMPS can't do what some FANS can do, and that's make a game at least on PAR with the classics, doesn't make me wanna shell out cash either; also the sleazy business practices don't sit well with me, like them naming this game Sonic 4 just for sales and saying this will be the "True classic experience" through their PR teeth, it's bullcrap like that that I really don't like.

ANYWAY, maybe in the future I might pick up the games, but only time will tell. Though Episode 2 looks way better than Episode 1, that is fact.

EDIT: Also, I do KINDA wanna see an Episode 3, but only if Sonic Team is making it, it has its OWN identity (why don't they GET that we don't want anymore throwback rehashes?!), and if there's true heart and effort put into it. Also Knuckles. But seriously, it sucks that Sonic 4 has had to have such a rocky start, Episode 1 ruined it for so many people, it's a shame.

Edited by SuperJXJ

(why don't they GET that we don't want anymore throwback rehashes?!)

Well here's my short review of the iOS version typed at 3AM:

How big of an improvement is Episode 2? It has parts where it shines and parts where it falls flat on its face.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 is easy on the eyes, a huge improvement from episode 1 in grahics, even if it's not quite as colorful as the first, environments look real and not like plastic.

8/10

Music is still an offender here, while the instrumention is slightly better, I only found 3 songs that I can remember, while rest are simply bland, immemorable and quickly forgotten after the level is finished.

5/10

Storyline is slightly better than before too, even though it is immemorable as well. Won't spoil anything for you, not that there's much to spoil. 5/10

Gameplay is the area that actually offends most. Physics are actually much better than episode 1, gone are the days of illogically stopping in midair and you actually carry momentum now, while not exactly like the genesis games, is still something that feels natural. The biggest offender is the level design, some stages are spammed relentlessly with boosters and springs, and others honestly just feel like they drag on forever for no real reason other than more boosters and there is no real memorable part that I can remember like I could in past sonic games. Special stages are the same old generic half pipe we've seen at least 7 times before. The Team mechanic with Tails can be used strategically to speed through a level much faster, so at least that's a plus, but not being able to play as Tails is still a disappointment. The bosses are a mixed bag, some good, some bad. 2 other problems that are iOS exclusive are: near-gamebreaking slowdown, and unresponsive controls. The touch controls are far too precise, I suggest taking notice of Sonic CD's controls on iOS, the up, right and jump function are dealt with in a way that even if your fingers have drifted high above the Icons, it still registers and that made CD feel much more responsive. Another issue is the innability to flip the screen, Sonic CD also had it so why not this game too? The earphone jack gets in the way too much.

4/10

Episode metal is a reward for having both episodes on your console. Following the story of Metal's revival, You go across 4 act ones from zone in episode 1 all slightly tweeked, but it's really nothing special, the cutscenes are cool, sound effects for metal during gameplay are a nice touch as well, but the acts are nothing special, just the act 1's in hard mode, and by hard mode, I mean Spikes spammed at every turn and there are more enemies in bad places.

4/10

Overall, my expectations were not high for this game and I was still left disappointed. I can honestly say I had more fun with episode one than this game. Just too many dragged on levels filled with springs.

Overall: 4.5/10

Edited by Prince Solaris
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fully agree with this review. They describe perfectly how I feel about Episode II.

It actually brought up something I didn't think about- why do Sonic and Tails have to share rings in multiplayer? It would be fairer on the players if they had individual counters and a combined total, ala the Special Stages. That way if one player got hit, the second wouldn't be punished.

• Thumbs Up 7

Fully agree with this review. They describe perfectly how I feel about Episode II.

Are you going to write a review for this game?

GameInformer Review:

http://www.gameinfor...nane-co-op.aspx

5/10

I kinda find it sad that I find the GameInformer review to be the most spot-on review I've read so far about Episode II's faults to the point that I fully agree with it (including it's 5/10 score).

Edited by Top Cat

In my opinion Biased good reviews are just as bad as biased negative reviews

I am dissapoint svend

It's a dude telling people how he thinks about a game. There are no objective video game reviews.

• Thumbs Up 9

Gameinformer just wants to kill the hedgehog

Haha, couldn't agree more. They called Generations a horrible game, and that's far from the truth. (I haven't seen their Colors review yet, but I fear the worst for that one too.)

Are you going to write a review for this game?

I think Jason's doing our main review, with a couple of the other staff chipping in their opinions. I'm not really a good enough writer to do big articles like reviews.

It's kind of a shame since I genuinely believe the game deserves at least a 6 or 7..

But maybe, just maybe SEGA will get the message this way.

Or you know it'll somehow kill their motivation and make things worse.

It seems ridiculous now that Episode 1 fared as well as it did. While I'm glad that the reviewers are identifying the problems this time around, I question comments like those that praise the Metal Sonic stages and lambast Tails for his very presence alone.

Edited by Lungo
  • Thumbs Up 9