Awoo.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 Reviews

BlazingTales

Yeah, I agree Ep 1 was more vibrant. I'm glad Ep 2 went for a more toned down look though. It's another "cool" thing I associate with sequels to go for a slightly less generic look for the next installment (I'm really not thinking of Ep 1 and 2 as the same game any more, they are small games, not halves of a big game).

Obviously, for Sonic, bright and colourful IS generic, so I welcome the more unorthodox colour palettes.

If there is an episode III, I'd expect a sort of half-and-half of primary colours zones and mild-on-the-eyes zones. Or possibly a really striking, contrasting art style, like bright levels with handfuls of dark elements, or dark levels with handfuls of bright elements (say a properly dark zone where only bright neon lighting breaks the darkness at various points).

• Thumbs Up 1

While I disagree about the visuals on some level, the backgrounds were more stylistic and well 'classic' in Episode 1 even if the foreground and characters look less ugly/plastic, I'd still like sprites.

What I also disagree with is the fact that people are taking one opinion on visuals to discredit the review as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oil Desert doesn't really look like a Sonic stage or have much identity of it's own. People said this when one screenshot of it came out on the XBL website ages ago and I disagreed- now I see exactly where they were coming from. Sky Chase Wing Fortress looks like fine for pretty obvious reasons, and Sylvania Castle just comes off as generic. White Park is a bit different cause all it's acts have a different aesthetic. Act 1 I have no qualms with. Act 2 is like a simplified Sky Park from Rivals. It doesn't look like something from a Sonic game beyond the rings and springs, and looks mundane regardless. Act 3 is an ice cave. I can definitely agree with a lot of the criticisms about vibrancy, identity and whatnot. Graphically superior, visually it's not got quite the same effect at all..

Edited by Blue Blood

Didn't they say in an interview in the last year or so that they'd pay attention to critical feedback and even stop selling Sonic games that did critically badly? (it seems this didn't apply to Sonic Free Riders but it's not like the mantle for Kinect games is particularly high)

Even if I really enjoy EpII and think it's better than EpI I agree with Blue Blood there.

I assume given Sega recent financial circumstances, that said statements were revoked if not publicly then internally.

I'm starting to think that the 5/10's are just reviewers giving episode 2 what they wish they had given episode 1. But since they can't change their score, they're docking points from ep 2 just for the ep 1 connection.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's not like I didn't like Tails in Sonic 2 and 3, I just didn't mind him. I ignore Tails because he was no use to me except collecting missed rings.

However had to turn him off for Special Stages in Sonic 2. That was the only time. Thank goodness this was handled well in Episode 2, otherwise I would have gone mental.

Man I love Tails I think lots of people like Tails I personally have never understood the fandom's SEETHING RAGE for seeing any character besides Sonic in anything ever. No one gives a fuck when pointless Mario character #309582 is playable in Mario games (lookin at u blue toad and yellow toad) but when Sonic does it it's a CRIME PUNISHABLE BY DEATH seemingly.

It's a pretty unfair stigma I'll say that much

Sonic's cast is just as good/bad as any other colourful cast of kids characters so why it gets the most grief for it out of any franchise ever is beyond me.

..otherwise a good review.

Well it's ok but he jumps to conclusions a lot.

i.e. *crash into a wall* WHY DID YOU STOP

and doesn't realise you can only use the tag in the sky at first but I guesss that's also the game's fault for really not demonstrating that very well.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 9

No one gives a fuck when pointless Mario character #309582 is playable in Mario games (lookin at u blue toad and yellow toad) but when Sonic does it it's a CRIME PUNISHABLE BY DEATH seemingly.

To be fair, though, you aren't required to play as pointless Mario characters #309582 to get through the game, nor do they introduce unexpected gameplay changes that you had to put up with whenever you do play as them.

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, though, you aren't required to play as pointless Mario characters #309582 to get through the game, nor do they introduce unexpected gameplay changes that you had to put up with whenever you do play as them.

That I can understand, but hate on the gimmick not the character himself. Tails did nothing to be hated in Sonic 2-3&K.

To be fair the tag actions forced into Ep2's stage designs are not Tails' fault uwu it's like hating Sonic as an entire character for having shitty gameplay in Sonic '06 (though I'm sure it didn't help peoples' impressions of him either).

• Thumbs Up 2

Eurogamer Review:

http://www.eurogamer...pisode-2-review

6/10

For reference, they gave Episode 1 a 9/10

Also for reference, this is a different reviewer. You can tell instantly from the tone of the review. If this reviewer reviewed Ep 1, the score would be significantly lower. Here's some examples of what I mean:

Episode 2 arrives with some major changes then, and not all for the better. Old, bad habits are once again evident, while the design itself is still frustratingly not quite right. Sonic is less weightless and skittish than in Episode 1, but now the scale has perhaps tipped too far the other way. Getting up to speed takes longer, while movement at low speeds is incredibly sluggish; annoying when trying to navigate some platforms, absolutely fatal when attempting to survive the poorly handled boss fights.

The music, as in Episode 1, is a terrible pastiche of what arcade game music should sound like. It looks and sounds like a Sonic game, but only from a distance.

For the most part actually, this Eurogamer review is pretty good and it's clear that this review actually has somewhat of an idea of what they're talking about when it comes to the Sonic franchise.

Edited by SiLeNt PyRrH0n

Heh, the Eurogamer review is one of the three big ones I've been waiting for, the others being IGN and Gamespot. I'm glad it only got a 6 from them.

Based on 8 reviews, the 360 version currently has a 64 on Metacritic. Posting it here cause whether you like Metcritic or not, it IS influential. No reviews for the PC or PS3 versions have been added yet. Would someone else like to tally up the scores from all the critic reviews out there? Looks like they;ll be higher than Metacritic is currently showing.

Edited by Blue Blood

I don't mind that the game is getting some subpar scores, Dimps should get a little flak for not fixing things like the level design. Plus, everyone's entitled to their own opinions and the like, and it's good to see the game get a wealth of different scores. What I do mind is that the game is getting worse scores than Episode 1 did. It seems like they rewarded that game, regardless of how gimpsy the physics were or how unoriginal it was, with an 8 out of 10 simply because it was 2D and called Sonic 4. Meanwhile, the sequel, while not perfect, fixes many of the issues from its predecessor and then gets knocked on for not fixing the remaining lingering problems that were also present in Episode 1, many of which were hardly even mentioned back when that title was getting reviewed.

It's a very odd double standard in my mind. And yeah, some websites have different critics reviewing each game, and that's excusable, but in the grand scheme of things, I just find it baffling.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 1

How about user reviews?

I checked the app store reviews: 67 ratings: 4.5/5 stars

41 of those included written reviews. 30 are five star and four star (with only a handfull being four)

The other eleven are either 1, 2 or 3 stars and every single one has to do with either the game crashing on startup (they probably need to restart their device or delete and redownload the game) or the fact that the screen orientation does not change when you flip the screen. Which I agree, does need to be implemented, but it does not warrant a 1/5. Probably gave 1 star to call attention to it.

As for XBLA: 11,571 gave it an average of 4/5

Google Play (Android) gives it a 4/5 average too:

rwREj.png

edit: should note that the 1 star and 3 star ratings on Google Play are, like the app store, given for technical reasons (encountering slowdown or app not booting up). Could be the game's fault, or could be the user is lacking memory or has too many apps open.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 1