Awoo.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 Reviews

BlazingTales

Well, the reason we want Sonic 4 Episode II to get "bad" reviews is so SEGA can look at them and actually put more effort into these games. If reviewers/users gave the game high reviews, SEGA wouldn't care nearly as much as they would right now. A message NEEDS to be sent. The only reason physics were changed is because WE complained. Complaints WILL get the franchise going somewhere.

Most of the time, though, there's a disconnect between what the critics complain about and what the fans complain about.

The fans complained about the physics not being enough like the Genesis games, and that was largely tweaked. Most critics aren't going to care that the rolling physics aren't Genesis-perfect, or that the homing attack is in the game, or a lot of things that matter to the fanbase.

The critics will, however, complain about things like Tails being a front and center character, or introducing new game mechanics. They've been making complaints like this for the past few years and it's the reason that Sonic's pretty much the only playable character nowadays, and the franchise has been afraid to deviate and make something truly new. SEGA listening to the fans has made a lot of positive changes, but it's really not the same case with critics.

Plus this game is currently getting lower scores than the first Episode when it really is inarguably better. What kind of message is THAT sending SEGA?

So no, I don't think the game getting shit reviews could be seen as a good thing, unless you really hate the game. If anything, this game performing poorly would mean less resources put touward the next one- if there is a next one.

I also think that the majority of Sonic 4's problems have nothing to do with effort- at least in the case of Episode 2. I could say that about a lot of Sonic game's but the biggest problems with Sonic 4 Episode 2 really come from design.

• Thumbs Up 3

You forget that with SEGA money talks, as long as the games are selling well then they're definitely gonna milk it until we see dust.

You forget that with SEGA money talks, as long as the games are selling well then they're definitely gonna milk it until we see dust.

At this point with Sonic, I think Reputation talks loudly as well. They are still trying to dig themselves out of that hole they dug with games like Shadow and 06, and one somewhat badly reviewed game like this can destroy a lot of the progress they're making in the public eye.

Edited by Chaos Warp

The critics will, however, complain about things like Tails being a front and center character, or introducing new game mechanics. They've been making complaints like this for the past few years and it's the reason that Sonic's pretty much the only playable character nowadays,

I was playing multiplayer mode as Tails yesterday and he's much more fun to play as then Sonic. It's a shame that you can't play as Tails solo. It just makes me want to play other characters even more now.

So, it's not that Episode II is worse, it's more to do with reviewers coming to the conclusion that most of us realized from day 1: Episode I wasn't that great, and it's going to take more than 2D and a limited cast of friends to do the trick.

Well fuck...where was this kind of logic with GENERATIONS. Was Generations so much of an eye opener that now reviewers have decided to stop this ridiculousness BS train that been going on since 2006?

WELL ITS ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

• Thumbs Up 3

'06 sold over a million copies, are they planning to create a sequel using the '06 engine?

'06 sold over a million copies, are they planning to create a sequel using the '06 engine?

The 06 physics engine is called Havok which Unleashed and Generations use. The engine wasn't the problem with 06, but I'll stop being pedantic.

Sega is so damn lucky...that people know that DIMPS are the main makers of this game. Seriously this is Sonic's saving grace from going back to square one.

Hope Sega gets the point.

The 06 physics engine is called Havok which Unleashed and Generations use. The engine wasn't the problem with 06, but I'll stop being pedantic.

I don't think she meant the physics engine but rather the main gameplay engine.

Which was insanely shitty in every regard.

I don't think she meant the physics engine but rather the main gameplay engine.

Which was insanely shitty in every regard.

Was not the main gameplay engine merely Havok, because that's the only actual engine I've read about Sonic 06 using.

Was not the main gameplay engine merely Havok, because that's the only actual engine I've read about Sonic 06 using.

You know how you could tip over boxes and stuff, and they'd fall to the ground semi-realistically? Maybe enemy corpses would fall and slump over after ragdolling.

That's what Havok does. A lot of games used it for a while, until it was replaced by bigger, better engines.

The gameplay engine was entirely different though- something SEGA likely designed from the ground up.

Levels lack boosters, loops, alternate pathways, and other series trademarks, which makes the game feel more like a traditional, unassuming platformer an honest-to-goodness Sonic game.

You hear that guys? Not enough boosters!

In all seriousness though, I find myself most agreeing with Barry and Solid SOAP in this topic. I personally enjoyed the game and I'm not really seeing where all these 5's and 6's are coming from. But to each their own I guess. :/

Edited by Gamerguy21
  • Thumbs Up 1

You hear that guys? Not enough boosters!

Apparently Gamespot has never played a Classic Sonic game. EVAR.

Honestly, that's the first time I've ever heard someone say that there was not enough boosters. Especially weird considering this game has it's fair share of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently Gamespot has never played a Classic Sonic game. EVAR.

Honestly, that's the first time I've ever heard someone say that there was not enough boosters. Especially weird considering this game has it's fair share of them.

Fair share? Every 10 steps you are hitting a booster. I can't even enjoy the stage because boosters are always in my way stopping me from enjoying my play through.

I hope GameSpot is trolling. This game is overloaded with boosters and it makes the game not fun to explore.

• Thumbs Up 1

....I will never understand these critics. As long as I live, I will never understand them.

Well, at least there are fans who like the game, or so I've seen.

Unfortunately, the fans' reviews will not get on Metacritic.=/

Edited by Special Operative Blaire
  • Thumbs Up 1

The air slam allows for some nifty air combos and provides one of the game's two real chances to feel some momentum. The other comes in Episode II's "3D" stages, where Sonic and Tails run continuously along chutes and loops, collecting rings and dodging (or killing) bad guys.

Ugh.

• Thumbs Up 5

The air slam allows for some nifty air combos and provides one of the game's two real chances to feel some momentum. The other comes in Episode II's "3D" stages, where Sonic and Tails run continuously along chutes and loops, collecting rings and dodging (or killing) bad guys.

... there wasn't any bad guys in the special stages to kill? was just bombs and electric mines that slowed you to a snails pace.

did they even bother playing the game before reviewing it? instead of looking at it and thinking, "its sonic 4, but episode 2, same stuff OK REVIEW TIEM!"

I recall Ken (or one of his fellows) saying a while back that they don't just take review scores into account but the specific comments and criticisms the reviews make, so I think to some extent they'll be able to sort the wheat from the chaff, the reviews which make sense from the reviews which don't. Not that that helps much when both the reviews and the development are part of the same vortex of incompetence.

So depending on platform, it looks like Episode 2 has ended up with a Metascore of between 61 and 69. Lower than you expected?

So depending on platform, it looks like Episode 2 has ended up with a Metascore of between 61 and 69. Lower than you expected?

I don't really see how this game is getting such negative scores. It has made strides in the right direction, it shows progression. While I don't necessarily LIKE the game.....AT ALL.....I feel these are the scores Episode 1 should have been getting, not this one, the one with obvious work put into it.
  • Thumbs Up 6

I agree with you on the Final Boss and Sky Fortress. The former is the most original final boss I've seen and the latter is better designed than most of the game (and has awesome music)