Awoo.

Attitude Adjustment

Rusty Spy

Well, you could do most of the things you saw in Unleashed's opening. Boost, think I saw some quick step, drift, and slide in there too.

This part is more of a personal preference, but sometimes, I like cutscenes to show things rather than gameplay, and Unleashed's opening is one of those moments.

Well, you could do most of the things you saw in Unleashed's opening. Boost, think I saw some quick step, drift, and slide in there too.

This part is more of a personal preference, but sometimes, I like cutscenes to show things rather than gameplay, and Unleashed's opening is one of those moments.

I notice you conveniently left out the first part of my post that debunks this notion.

But I'm asking, does it really make a difference? Would the moment be any less awesome if you weren't doing it yourself?

Honestly I think the way Sonic's attitude is portrayed really depends on what writers are being used and if the story is light hearted or heavy. Sonic Unleashed in my opinion portrayed Sonic, Amy, and Eggman's personalities flawlessly. Sonic had a good balance of all of his personality traits. He was cocky, arrogant, overconfident, and also a humble hero. The writers did a good job of balancing it all out. I like seeing Sonic doing other stuff besides just being badass in cutscenes actually. It's nice to see him eating a chocolate sundae or a chili dog, and talking to his friends. Unleashed showed both badass cutscenes and cutscenes of him just being a regular ol guy as well which I liked.

He was cocky and overconfident in the start of Unleashed which resulted in him being tricked by Eggman and turned into the Werehog, having Eggman get the best of him for once. He meets Chip and is guilt ridden for falling on him and causing his amnesia and decides to help him for no reason at all but by just being a nice, caring and helpful guy that he is. Then later buys Chip ice cream and gives him a name and showing Chip he cares about him in a friendly way. I loved that, it shows how Sonic's a caring guy despite his arrogant and cocky nature and his willingness to help others in need.

When Eggman attacks Mazuri and the people are throwing crap at him, Sonic pops up and puts a stop to it and it shows how he hates oppression and fights for freedom. When Amy doesn't recognize him you can tell his feelings are hurt by it; whether it's because he secretly likes her or just because one of his own friends failed to recognize him you can be the one to make that call. Personally I think it's because there's some feelings hiding deep down inside that hard shell of his and at night Dark Gaia affects him, making stuff he can usually hide well surface a little bit more easily.

When Chip remembers who he is and tells Sonic he decides to go and stop Dark Gaia and fulfill his destiny but Sonic stops him and they have a brotherly like friendship talk with one another. Sonic doesn't have to help Chip but said he wanted to anyway because Chip is his friend. "Do I need a reason to help a friend?" This shows his caring and humble hero side, wanting to help his friends and do what "He" feels is right and what "He" wants to do.

Throughout the game you see a combination of his humble side, his friendly / caring side, his more cocky, overconfident / arrogant side and even a little bit of some snark. There's a good balance of all his character personality attributes and traits and I thought it flowed well. Comical stuff was light hearted and happened at the right times.

In Sonic Colors, that game was written by different writers and I think they had wanted it to be full of comic relief and jokes. There was little to no storyline and the whole game was meant to be light hearted. So they made Sonic a jokster and snarky / smug as hell. I like Sonic being snarky / smug but in Colors they just went completely overboard with it. The Japanese version is not as cringe worthy as the English dub though. Due to lack of story, the majority of the cutscenes were of Sonic talking to himself half the time and acting like a complete dork. If anything there were times were he felt almost out of character because of the jokes.

The game did have it's moments where he showed some of his true personality though. Such as towards the end when he wanted to protect Tails. He put his hand out protectively in front of his "Little Bro" and made sure he got out of the park safely so he can deal with Eggman and not have to worry about Tails well being. Because he cares about his best friend. I actually freaking loved that cutscene and its hands down one of my favorites in that game.

In Generations, that game to me had even less story than Colors did and honestly I hate the games having like no storylines now. I want a game like Unleashed again where it has the story, the comic relief, and good characterization. Perhaps Classic would've been just as talkative if they decided not to make him mute, because frankly classic Sonic had quite the mouth. Sonic in the Sonic OVA / Movie wouldn't shut up, then he did have speech and showed his impatient arrogant attitude in Sonic CD. ("I'm Outta Here!") In fact Sonic CD had at least 2-3 spoken phrases that weren't used in the final anywhere but still found in the sound test. Then there's all the classic American cartoons.

While I'll agree that in Generations and Colors almost all Sonic did in the cutscenes was walk around and talk to himself or Tails and I think it sucks, but it doesn't mean it's because of Sonic's personality. It's the writers fault ultimately if his personality comes off lame / tame and uncool. Also depends on what the storyline is and what Sega planned on the characters doing throughout the cutscenes. I mean Unleashed had some little nothing cutscenes here and there but still found good ways to throw in the good parts of Sonic's personality and make him extremely likable. (Well to me <3) They even show a bit of Sonic's impatience in Unleashed in the chocolate sundae supreme cutscene. Which I also really loved. I mean Amy had great characterization in Sonic Unleashed and for once Sega did wonder's with her personality. Especially the end when everyone gave up on Sonic even Professor Pickle, but Amy didn't and had the utmost faith in Sonic. What happened to her in Generations though? She's back to being the dim witted, ditsy, obsessive fangirl with no personality.

It's like reading a fan fiction almost. Sometimes you come across really well written fan fics that keep all the characters in character and are able to work well with them. (Like Unleashed.) Then there's the really terrible, poorly written fan fics where nobody's in character and act nothing like themselves...It comes down to how the writer writes the characters and portrays them. Sega are doing the playing it safe route and making story's in their games extremely light hearted and full of jokes which is why Sonic may come off as a complete ass or lame.

There's other occasions where Sonic's personality came out as really cool too like in Adventure 2 and Adventure 1 without doing much action like scenes. Lemme tell you I really love watching the action scenes especially Unleashed intro but it's nice to see Sonic eating a damn chili dog at times and it never ceases me from smiling every time I see it. I wish Sega would try to make a good balance between his humble heroic self and his snarky / cocky behavior like they did in Unleashed in future games because like I said, I thought they did wonder's with his character and personality in that game.

Sonic being uncool? Since when? I go to College and every time I wear my Sonic shirt to school I get nothing but compliments and people running up to me fangasming over my T-shirt saying how cool Sonic is and how much they love him. In fact I get more compliments when I wear my Sonic shirts than I do when I wear any ordinary outfits. I can't go anywhere with my Sonic shirt on without getting at least one excited fan's comment about it. Seeing Sonic in commercials again is another indication of his popularity rising again dontcha think? I think it's safe to say a lot of people still think Sonic is cool / badass.

Even friends at my school who know jack shit about Sonic think he's cool. I got several friends into the Sonic franchise by just being a die hard fan and introducing them to the series. They think he's cool and love him now. And like other people have mentioned earlier the storybook games also did wonders showing off good personality traits of Sonic and what his beliefs are. I like being able to get into my hero's head a little bit and see how he feels and thinks on things.

Edited by SonikkuGenesis89
  • Thumbs Up 4

There are three games I know which represented something awesome about Sonic a piece: SA1, Unleashed, and the Storybook games.

SA1 gave us a Sonic that was very laid back, but also very irritable. It shown he had an 'attitude', but not the same "cheesy radical meathead" thing the western market threw him off as. He didn't take much crap and he got annoyed, but otherwise he was really chill, either moving around by whimsy or laying back and relaxing. His irritability was reflected in the original games through his impatient mannerisms, and the OVA also featured this personality, so I'm pretty sure this was an intentional part of Sonic's person.

Unleashed shown a badass Sonic in action. He looked super smug taking down Eggman's robot fleets in the opening scene, as well as numerous others. And even then, we still got to see a more casual, relaxed Sonic. Kind of reflects that "laid back" trait brought up in SA1. Granted, Sonic's personality in SU was kind of bland outside of those specifics, but they got the gist of it right.

And lastly, the Storybook games gave us a look into a more sentimental Sonic, looking more upon his principles and morals than in games before, while also giving us a share of those really cool moments for him. SA2 did something like this as well, it feels, but it never really went as far as these games did, and neither did it really try like these games either.

----

I know each of these games weren't perfect with their portrayals and there are inconsistencies, but all of these traits (irritable, laid back, badass actiony, moral and philosophical standards) kind of gave me a well-rounded image on what the ideal Sonic personality would be, and I have kind of hoped to see a game one day where every single aspect of it was touched upon, and done with good writing at the same time.

I'm not gonna doubt that the current writers are any good (since I know they are), but I'm really not fond of what they've done with Sonic since it seems so much different than what I've gathered over the longest while.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 2

I find it interesting that this guy is more like Sonic than Sonic been recently.

This is a perfect example of how I feel Sonic should be portrayed...that entire fight he could talk as much shit as he wants...but at least he is DOING something.

Edited by Voy-Boy

Why isn't it enough just to have a well written game? Does it really need to be "epic" to be considered good?

I didn't say it had to be 'epic'. You said Sonic games tend to do better when they take themselves less seriously, but you're referring to Colours alone, the only game other than Generations that the new writers have worked on. My point is that they don't have to be one or the other to be good, and that may both be successful when given the chance in the future.

Ok seriously, and I'm going to say this so everyone can see SONIC'S DIALOGUE AND REACTIONS IN COLORS CONTAIN MORE THAN JUST CORNY JOKES, OK

Are the giant CAPs necessary? Exactly where in my post did I say that all of Sonic's lines were corny jokes?

I mean goddamn, they weren't even in that many cutscenes. Ok, I fully and completely agree that Sonic was corny in Colors, the amount of cheese he produced is insatiable, I understand and sympathize and can see why they wouldn't be seen as good by anyone, but the game is not one long gag of jokes and calling the games writing "shitty" based on that alone is bullshit. You say "aside" as if it doesn't matter, and is completely irrelevant to their writing as a whole.

Again, I didn't call the writing 'shitty'. I said 'I don't think Colours was as well written as its fans make it out to be' and that many of 'the lines were awful'. I don't say 'aside' as though the character interaction doesn't matter. On the contrary, I mentioned it for the the very fact that I was impressed with it, but it is only one element that I thought stood out in a positive way for Sonic in the story.

If you stopped thinking about the bad for a second, you'd be able to see that in comparison to almost everything else in the series, its miles ahead. No game has given Sonic this much personality aside from Black Knight, and I'll say this until that until the day I die. I would rather have an attempt at humor fail miserably, than unintentional humor from supposedly "serious" scenes.

This is why I said that the dialogue in previous games is no better. You're making my post out to be more negative than it actually is. I just think it's a pity that now he has more personality, they had to go and try so hard to be funny.

Braggarts like to Brag, I don't see anything wrong with this.

I don't see Sonic as an all out braggart. He should at least be moving a bit more, rather than standing still mouthing off.

Edited by Lungo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic used to brag all the time, but when he was, he was doing shit...rarely did you see Sonic mouthing off while doing nothing until Colors.

Sonic is a guy of action and when he says he going to do something he does it

We already have plenty of "Action" shows (Naruto, DBZ, blah blah....) that have just talking for 25 minutes...stay out of Sonic please.

Edited by Voy-Boy
  • Thumbs Up 3

Oh, this is annoying me now.

They are my own experiences and recollection of what happened. There's no debunking anything. The only things about the cutscenes that I could remember were all the bad ones, any effective scenes had little lasting effect.

Then I really just think you're intentionally downplaying them just to make things seem worse than they really are.

On the flip side does that mean he can't do anything interesting in cutscenes? Like I said, it doesn't always have to a spectale, just something interesting.

But what counts as interesting Anything that Sonic can do in cutscenes, can and should be replicated in gameplay, so what difference does it make? You say Sonic doesn't do shit anymore, but he's been doing crap for 20 damn years, so what the hell did he do in Sa2 that makes him so much a better character in there?

Maybe, but at least have some positive regard towards his character rather than deriding him.

Then its honestly just personal preference, and really I'm getting tired of arguing this point.

I find it interesting that this guy is more like Sonic than Sonic been recently.

This is a perfect example of how I feel Sonic should be portrayed...that entire fight he could talk as much shit as he wants...but at least he is DOING something.

You mean all the things you can do in GAMEPLAY?

I didn't say it had to be 'epic'. You said Sonic games tend to do better when they take themselves less seriously, but you're referring to Colours alone, the only game other than Generations that the new writers have worked on. My point is that they don't have to be one or the other to be good, and that may both be successful when given the chance in the future.

Exactly, so it shouldn't matter or not, and complaining that one is worse than the other makes no sense. So I don't see how, in anyway how the likes of Colors is worse than Sa2. And mind you when i said better, I mean better recieved.

Are the giant CAPs necessary? Exactly where in my post did I say that all of Sonic's lines were corny jokes?

Considering that's what everyone seems to focus on when criticizing the game, it really comes off that way.

Again, I didn't call the writing 'shitty'. I said 'I don't think Colours was as well written as its fans make it out to be' and that many of 'the lines were awful'. I don't say 'aside' as though the character interaction doesn't matter. On the contrary, I mentioned it for the the very fact that I was impressed with it, but it is only one element that I thought stood out in a positive way for Sonic in the story

But when you say that, its as if you're saying that nothing else in the game is good at all, and I can make a list dude. Nobody is saying you should like Colors, but its honestly not as bad as you're making it out to be either.

This is why I said that the dialogue in previous games is no better. You're making my post out to be more negative than it actually is. I just think it's a pity that now he has more personality, they had to go and try so hard to be funny.

That's the entire point, and hell its better than no attempt at Humor at all.

I don't see Sonic as an all out braggart. He should at least be moving a bit more, rather than standing still mouthing off.

So you got another excuse or what?

I find it incredibly hilarious and hypocritical how people are now criticizing Sonic for both being a cheeseball, and being too silly to get anything done.....when a) he's always been a cheeseball, ALWAYS, but now for some reason its a problem. B) We defend Eggman does the same damn thing, yet no one seems to have a problem with him, in fact we defend his silly side at any turn but now that its Sonic, its suddenly OOC.

I find it incredibly hilarious and hypocritical how people are now criticizing Sonic for both being a cheeseball, and being too silly to get anything done.....when a) he's always been a cheeseball, ALWAYS, but now for some reason its a problem. cool.png We defend Eggman does the same damn thing, yet no one seems to have a problem with him, in fact we defend his silly side at any turn but now that its Sonic, its suddenly OOC.

This is wrong...Sonic has only been portrayed be like that in the cartoons back in the 90s. I think the Sonic everyone here is talking about is the SEGASONIC Sonic...which in all of his games he has been stone faced when its time to get serious, sometimes wise cracking on occasion. He went a bit to the EXTREME in SA2, but when shit got real, he was back with his serious look on his face he had since Sonic 1.

Apart from some staments he says on occasion, the persona in Sonic Colors is a lot like he was in the cartoons...and has been the only time were he was full on goofy the eniretime. When Sonic faced bosses Sonic put on his serious face knowing this was a life or death situation...

And while I agree Sonic could have said a little something more that "Hey Eggman" this is the wy Sonic has always been...in the games...apart from maybe some sequences in SA2 like the Egg Golem.

The storybook version of Sonic is a great balance compared to his other games of his core personally...Colors just took it way to extreme and made him look silly instead of a smartass.

You mean all the things you can do in GAMEPLAY?

Andnnddddd you missed my point...nothing wrong with the occasinal cut scene with Sonic doing bad ass shit...

I miss cool scenes before the start of the game like this.

2006 might have been a crap game, but at least it had some kind of atmosphere to connect with the player...even though its warped and makes no sense. Its because it has atmosphere is why people even pay attention to it...

Isn't it interesting that out of all the recent games Unleashed seems to be more memorable? The reason for that is, even with the Werehog existence, there was still something to get behind...but...I'm going a tad out of subject here.

Edited by Voy-Boy
  • Thumbs Up 7

This is wrong...Sonic has only been portrayed be like that in the cartoons back in the 90s. I think the Sonic everyone here is talking about is the SEGASONIC Sonic...which in all of his games he has been stone faced when its time to get serious, sometimes wise cracking on occasion. He went a bit to the EXTREME in SA2, but when shit got real he was back with his stoned look on his face he had since Sonic 1.

Ok, now you're just nitpicking. There was almost NOTHING, in Colors for Sonic take "stone faced badassery" seriously, NOTHING, maybe one or two scenes but that's about it, but are you seriously going to tell me that you dislike Colors simply for the fact that Sonic isn't approaching every situation with the same "angry eyes" expression as you want him too?

Apart from some staments he says on occasion the persona in Sonic Colors is a lot like he was in the cartoons...and has been the only time were he was full on goofy the eniretime. When Sonic faced bosses Sonic put on his serious face knowing this was a life or death situation...

They're ROBOTS, the same Robots he's been destroying for 20 years now, what reason does he have to take them seriously? It makes no sense for Sonic to approach a situation he's been so accustomed to with so much seriousness, and didn't you just complain Sonic isn't doing enough in a game? Why does it sound like you want him to do less.

And while I agree Sonic could have said a little something more that "Hey Eggman" this is the wy Sonic has always been...in the games...apart from maybe some sequences in SA2 like the EGG GOLEM.

And I'm pretty sure Sega and a lot of other people felt that's fucking boring as shit., nothing about him stands out at all, other than "being serious" which is nothing new or exactly noticeable.

The story book version of Sonic is a great balance compared to his other games of his core personally...Colors just took it way to extreme and made him look silly instead of a smart ass.

Then please tell me what about his personality stands out in the storybook games other than the generic hero ones?

• Thumbs Up 1

But when you say that, its as if you're saying that nothing else in the game is good at all, and I can make a list dude. Nobody is saying you should like Colors, but its honestly not as bad as you're making it out to be either.

Well we're talking about dialogue, not the rest of the game, which is why I referred to Sonic and Tails' interaction as being the only element I enjoyed. I should point out that I'm referring to dialogue involving Sonic, and don't remember having any problems with Eggman's scenes.

video

So you got another excuse or what?

Excuse? And that scene is actually a perfect example of what I'm talking about. When I said moving, I meant running, taking action, doing something more than stretching and talking for 40 seconds.

I find it incredibly hilarious and hypocritical how people are now criticizing Sonic for both being a cheeseball, and being too silly to get anything done.....when a) he's always been a cheeseball, ALWAYS, but now for some reason its a problem. cool.png We defend Eggman does the same damn thing, yet no one seems to have a problem with him, in fact we defend his silly side at any turn but now that its Sonic, its suddenly OOC.

He only came off as a cheese ball back in the Adventures and Heroes because of poor writing. It was unintentional. I don't want them to start doing it deliberately. Also why do you keep referring to Eggman when they are entirely different characters? What works for one may not necessarily work for the other.

• Thumbs Up 1

Andnnddddd you missed my point...nothing wrong with the occasinal cut scene with Sonic doing bad ass shit...

Never said that, but I don't see how when nothing is going on in cutscenes counts as "Sonic not doing shit" when you know, that's wrong?

I miss cool scenes before the start of the game like this.

And I like being able to play the game a lot more.

2006 might have been a crap game, but at least it had some kind of atmosphere to connect with the player...even though its warped and makes no sense. Its because it has atmosphere is why people even pay attention to it...

And most of that "atmosphere" comes from about 2 hours worth of cutscenes, half of which are pointless and the other half basically can(and probably should have) be replicated in gameplay. Cutscenes only purpose is to bridge the story together, not stuff as much action scenes as possible, when you can easily do that with gameplay alone.

Isn't it interesting that out of all the recent games Unleashed seems to be more memorable? The reason for that is, even with the Werehog existence, there was still something to get behind...but...I'm going a tad out of subject here.

Really because from what I've seen Unleashed is only remembered for the Werehog's existence alone.

Well we're talking about dialogue, not the rest of the game, which is why I referred to Sonic and Tails' interaction as being the only element I enjoyed. I should point out that I'm referring to dialogue involving Sonic, and don't remember having any problems with Eggman's scenes.

Then you're being a hypocrite to the highest degree; You're basically saying its fine for Eggman to be a goofball, but when Sonic does it its suddenly taboo?

Excuse? And that scene is actually a perfect example of what I'm talking about. When I said moving, I meant running, taking action, doing something more than stretching and talking for 40 seconds.

He was just about to fight a fucking boss. I mean for fuck's sake, you say he needs to take more action, something he was just about to do, and then criticize him for it? It sounds you just Sonic to do nothing but smash things in cutscenes and nothing else.

He only came off as a cheese ball back in the Adventures and Heroes because of poor writing.It was unintentional. I don't want them to start doing it deliberately. Also why do you keep referring to Eggman when they are entirely different characters? What works for one may not necessarily work for the other.

But the reasons your telling me they don't work are completely backwards and make no sense; You claim Sonic doesn't take enough action, despite Eggman doing the exact same shit, and both of them still are getting shit done throughout the entire game, if Sonic was doing anything, the game wouldn't even exist. What part of this is so hard to comprehend.

Seeing as the game didn't have many cutscenes (and they were short), about 95% of the game had Sonic in motion. For the remaining 5%, sometimes he was "standing around" and deliberately provoking the bosses because he knew he was going to have fun beating them. That alone has more personality than "Oh no! A bad guy! Since I'm a good guy, I'll defeat you and justice will be served!"

Edited by MugiMikey

This is wrong...Sonic has only been portrayed be like that in the cartoons back in the 90s.

AWW YEAH THIS IS HAPPENING YOU'VE TURNED INTO A BIG TIME DOCTOR TIME TO CRACK THAT "EGG"MAN WIDE OPEN YEAH LETS PARTY

• Thumbs Up 8

Ok, now you're just nitpicking. There was almost NOTHING, in Colors for Sonic take "stone faced badassery" seriously, NOTHING, maybe one or two scenes but that's about it, but are you seriously going to tell me that you dislike Colors simply for the fact that Sonic isn't approaching every situation with the same "angry eyes" expression as you want him too?

That's the problem.

I dislike Colors "atmosphere" because there wasn't any, there was no sense of urgency of feeling needed to push the player along. If I felt like watching a Saturday morning catroon. I turn on the TV an watch WBkids or some shit...hell some WB Kids shows had more urgency than Colors...its for this reason that its pretty forgettable...you have to actually remind people of its existence sometimes..."Oh yeah that game was good...I forgot about that."

They're ROBOTS, the same Robots he's been destroying for 20 years now, what reason does he have to take them seriously? It makes no sense for Sonic to approach a situation he's been so accustomed to with so much seriousness, and didn't you just complain Sonic isn't doing enough in a game? Why does it sound like you want him to do less

SO the little guys...yeah...cool...totally can understand that, but giant robots and death machines? I mean he can say the occasional joke sure...but have 2 minute long speeches before a fight is just...well like you said...I like actually playing the game. When I mean I want him to do more outgame..I talking about like...something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlx3RYWqqdg

Insert smartass dialogue where you want too.

And I'm pretty sure Sega and a lot of other people felt that's fucking boring as shit., nothing about him stands out at all, other than "being serious" which is nothing new or exactly noticeable.

And again missing the point I already admitted to the scene needing more....but he doesn't have to do pushups and talke about what he wants for lunch before starting a fight with the giant mech Eggman is in. Cause you know the entire world is in danger and Eggman ready to splice him in half, but I guess Sonic did have time for that in Colors...you know with the no atmosphere thing going on...stuff didn't start to kick in until the very end...which is BORING.

Then please tell me what about his personality stands out in the storybook games other than the generic hero ones?

At least he was acting like one in Black Knight as compared to Colors. I'm sure you know this already...I shouldn't need to elaborate.

Never said that, but I don't see how when nothing is going on in cutscenes counts as "Sonic not doing shit" when you know, that's wrong?

The fact that nothing is going on is the problem. If I feel like watching nothing going on...I'll stare at my ceiling.

And I like being able to play the game a lot more.

Well Sonic isn't a game that you go to an arcade and play. Games like that don't need atmosphere....games nowadays... especially to develop new fans, you need a bit more that just playing the game. That's why games like Uncharted 3 are hailed so highly.

And most of that "atmosphere" comes from about 2 hours worth of cutscenes, half of which are pointless and the other half basically can(and probably should have) be replicated in gameplay. Cutscenes only purpose is to bridge the story together, not stuff as much action scenes as possible, when you can easily do that with gameplay alone.

And you defending Colors Cutscenes...whhhyyy?

Really because from what I've seen Unleashed is only remembered for the Werehog's existence alone.

At least Unleashed had something to be remembered for...its intro is incredibly memorable and without the Werehog the whole "Epic" feeling of Unleashed would have still been there and its would still be a very memorable game...apart from it being hard at times.

AWW YEAH THIS IS HAPPENING YOU'VE TURNED INTO A BIG TIME DOCTOR TIME TO CRACK THAT "EGG"MAN WIDE OPEN YEAH LETS PARTY

I already said there are occasional moments were he is snarky, but it didn't take over his entire personality in game. Sonic Heroes is just corny is general...and latest it had a sense of URGENCY and Tone...where as Colors is Sonic Heroes turned up to eleven in dialog...apart from the "REAL SUPER POWER OF TEAM WORK" statement.

Edited by Voy-Boy
  • Thumbs Up 4

He was just about to fight a fucking boss. I mean for fuck's sake, you say he needs to take more action, something he was just about to do, and then criticize him for it? It sounds you just Sonic to do nothing but smash things in cutscenes and nothing else.

Calm down. You seem to be taking this awfully personally. Anyway, I'm saying he's talking too much. A couple of good lines would have sufficed in that particular scene. It comes across as lame, coming out with insult after petty insult, for that length of time.

Then you're being a hypocrite to the highest degree; You're basically saying its fine for Eggman to be a goofball, but when Sonic does it its suddenly taboo?

But the reasons your telling me they don't work are completely backwards and make no sense; You claim Sonic doesn't take enough action, despite Eggman doing the exact same shit, and both of them still are getting shit done throughout the entire game, if Sonic was doing anything, the game wouldn't even exist. What part of this is so hard to comprehend.

Backwards and makes no sense? Why is it hard for you to comprehend that different characters act in different in ways? Just because one displays a particular personality trait, doesn't mean that it's suddenly OK for everyone to act the same way. Besides it's not quite the same brand of goofiness anyway. Eggman gloats because he is that kind of villain, because has a grand plan to inform us all about. He acts a bit goofy at times because he's insane (or at least eccentric). He doesn't enter the scene and dish out insult upon insult for 30 seconds. Sonic is simply throwing out bad lines that make him look dumb more than anything. This wouldn't be such an issue if there was less of it. The odd silly line here and there would be fine. It's the volume that I have the most problem with.

Seeing as the game didn't have many cutscenes (and they were short), about 95% of the game had Sonic in motion. For the remaining 5%, sometimes he was "standing around" and deliberately provoking the bosses because he knew he was going to have fun beating them. That alone has more personality than "Oh no! A bad guy! Since I'm a good guy, I'll defeat you and justice will be served!"

So because I don't want him mouthing off so much, I suddenly want all character stripped from him? Why must you assume that opinion is so polarised? Why can't we strike a balance? That's all I'm asking for. Oh, and better lines.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic doing badass stuff in cutscenes, and Sonic doing badass stuff in-game. Why can't we have both?

• Thumbs Up 4

I already said there are occasional moments were he is snarky, but it didn't take over his entire personality in game and Sonic Heroes is just corny is General...and latest it had a sense of URGENCY.

Oh so it's okay to defend Sonic Heroes for being "corny" but not Colors?

I happen to remember a lot of urgent scenes in Colors myself.

And then there's the Nega Wisp Factory segment, the opening in Generations, the final battle with Eggman in Generations etc.

This whole "snarky taking over his personality" is a load of hogwash. There is no "flanderization" to be had in here. The writers decided to emphasize Sonic's laid-back and show-off esque personality in a situation that lent itself to doing so; by hanging out with his best friend at all times and foiling Eggman's plan. Nothing in this game rules out any of Sonic's moral shit in the Storybook games or his serious side to things when the world is at stake such as in Sonic Adventure 2. He's just being more free to interact in an environment where he can fuck shit up.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sonic doing badass stuff in cutscenes, and Sonic doing badass stuff in-game. Why can't we have both?

Pretty much what I'm trying to say...in one sentence.

I've probably said it before, but I'll say it again. While Colors's story had it faults, it was leagues better as a light-hearted story than Heroes tried to be.

Oh so it's okay to defend Sonic Heroes for being "corny" but not Colors?

And then there's the Nega Wisp Factory segment, the opening in Generations, the final battle with Eggman in Generations etc.

A good ending doesn't make a show a good show.

There can be a few memorable..well done scenes in a movie and its can still be forgettable. Although touche on the Sonic Heroes part...but like I said at least Heroes had atmosphere.

I will admit though that I enjoyed Colors dialogue a lot more than Heroes...so maybe using that as an example wasn't a good idea on my part.

Edited by Voy-Boy