Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Say that to the modern character designs, modern level design, homing attack, and boost.

Edited by Voy-Boy

I commend them on this though, that at least they admitted to it being a stupid marketing idea..not a lot of game deps will admit to making mistakes, but its still called "Sonic 4" so it only eliminates 50% of the issue.

Yeah, it's plainly evident that this is not our Sonic 4, even if Episode 2 and onward end up being great games by themselves. It's definitely more a part of the Sonic Rush lineage of games, even though they too were pretty good on their own. The best we can hope for is that another Sonic 4 comes out somewhere down the line, one that we can call our Sonic 4. Whether that be a fangame or an official "deluxe" version of Sonic 4 remains to be seen.

Edited by Machenstein

He's referring to the Combo Roll, specifically how "overpowered" the Co-Op move appears to be.

Oh ok! I thought Sonic actually had a boost in this game xD

That video is filling my hopes up slightly! I really love that spin animation & the jumping physics - both appear much more fluid than in E1.

Not a huge fan of the blocky platforming. But it looks decent otherwise.

Praise all gods! ;A; I didn't have to snarl at that vid. X3;

And Tails can save you if you fall? My love for him increased ten-fold. XDD

I want to play this game so much!!!

It looks like Ep1 but with far better physics and gimmicks.

Wow, looks really good actually! Things I've noticed:

- Springs and boosters aren't abused quite as much as in Episode 1.

- The floating platforms in Sylvania Castle and White Park are pretty much the same, although I'm not sure if this is intentional or just lazy.

- Not only do the snowballs get bigger as they roll, they also have better rolling physics than Sonic.

That's pretty much it...

Wanna know something else I noticed? It's pretty subtle...

Sonic's rolling/spinning animations. In the first episode, his jumping spin rotation had a fixed speed no matter what, and his roll barely changed as well.

Now look at it. The faster you go when jumping or rolling, the faster Sonic spins... just like in the Genesis games. It's a small change, but it makes a difference in terms of believability and aesthetics. Give the video another look, you'll be pleased.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 6

It certainly isn't lacking in springs and boosters, I tell you what

That's better

But on a more serious note, that video really got me excited for the game again. I'm glad someone who knows what they're doing was finally able to show us this. Granted it still isn't perfect (shields up!) but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

You guys can decide how big a step it is. Like I give a fuck I ain't one for debatin'

Edited by Ichigo Storm
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another subtle detail: when you activate a combo move, the little animation that plays when Sonic and Tails grab each other (calm down, shippers), the clock stops for a second. Possible speed-run exploit?

Another subtle detail: when you activate a combo move, the little animation that plays when Sonic and Tails grab each other (calm down, shippers), the clock stops for a second. Possible speed-run exploit?

It wouldn't help. Movement is halted during the formation...

Funny, that reminds me of this:

In the video, the rolling physics definitely look like they are improved from Episode I, and it looks like Sonic has momentum again, so apparently Sonic doesn’t stop like a brick when the player lets go of the d-pad anymore.

However, as Generations 3DS shows, good physics doesn’t mean much if the level design isn’t built around the use of them. Almost every time the person in the video tried to demonstrate the rolling physics, Sonic ended up running/rolling into a dash panel or a spring a mere few seconds later.

Also, I haven’t seen any demonstration of Sonic’s bouncing physics yet, or if the majority

of the platforming elements as well as other aspects of the level design are still scripted or not (automatic ceiling running, anyone)?

Also, I haven’t seen any demonstration of Sonic’s bouncing physics yet,

More White Park footage! Now with more snowboarding and.... bouncing on badniks?

Bouncing at :50

It's not the best footage, but it's different from the fixed bounce in Generations and Episode 1. Whether or not holding the jump button will give you insane height isn't known (it probably won't, but I don't really care about that very much) but what IS evident is that when Sonic bounces off of a badnik at a certain height, he'll get a good realistic rebound.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Okay I'll admit it, with that one video a lot of my worries are gone. It might not handle as well as the classics but it still looks pretty good now. Thanks to that guy that knew how to show off what was needed. I never needed the game to be exactly like the classics but episode one was just insulting. Level design could use some work but this is obviously a vast improvent over the first episode now and I will be downloading it. Why couldn't Sega themselves put together a video like this to calm worries? After all that bitching wasn't it obvious we wanted to be shown the results of the improvements and not just how pretty the game was?

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, now I'm gonna buy the game at full prize. It's awesome that you can call Tails to save you from a bottomless pit.

I hope the level design gets better as you go on. Because there are seriously too many boosters.

Edited by OlenJimi

Okay, now I'm gonna buy the game at full prize. It's awesome that you can call Tails to save you from a bottomless pit.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles had... what, two pits in the whole game? Sonic CD had one big one in the final level, if I recall correctly.

The pits really shouldn't be there in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic 3 & Knuckles had... what, two pits in the whole game? Sonic CD had one big one in the final level, if I recall correctly.

S3&K: there were pits in Ice Cap Zone, Mushroom Hill (as Knuckles), Flying Battery, Sky Sanctury and Death Egg Zone.

Sonic CD: Metallic Madness Act 3 only.

Pits aren't that essential. They are there to catch you out. On your first play through they are annoying. On your second play through they are no longer an issue because you remember where they are.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

AreYouKiddingMeNoText.png

• Thumbs Up 5