Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

YouTube'd, for those who want it:

I'm sorry to bring up this video but I had to laugh in like the final 20 seconds of the video. This guy doesn't know what to do, even when that tutorial screen is there right in front of him and is already getting frustrated by airdashing (rapidly tapping X/blue button) backwards. XD

But putting the humor aside, I hope we won't find a reviewer like this...

That looked...

Pretty good....

Hmmmmm........

See what happens when you get someone who can PLAY THE FUCKING GAME!

Can't wait for something bad to come up and slap my growing optimisim across the face again.

Not sure, but did Sonic's roll gain momentum down that hill at 2:07?

If he did he lost it when he went back to legs. At the very end of the Sylvania Castle he hits a booster and then rolls up the hill at the capped max speed, and as soon as he uncurls he instantly slows down to max flatland running speed.

If he did he lost it when he went back to legs. At the very end of the Sylvania Castle he hits a booster and then rolls up the hill at the capped max speed, and as soon as he uncurls he instantly slows down to max flatland running speed.

Didn't Sonic 1 function somewhat similarly to that? I always remember being slow as fuck in Starlight zone when running, but getting really fast when rolling, then reverting to slow again when he uncurled. If that is the case, whilst not ideal, at least its something.

Didn't Sonic 1 function somewhat similarly to that? I always remember being slow as fuck in Starlight zone when running, but getting really fast when rolling, then reverting to slow again when he uncurled. If that is the case, whilst not ideal, at least its something.

That's because Sonic 1 was the only one of the classics to have a speed-cap when running. It was dumb, so Sonic 2 changed it.

That's exactly right, and the constantly improved it between S1 and S3.

S1- Speedcap whilst running or when pressing left/right in the air. No speedcap when rolling.

S2 (and SCD 2011) - Speedcap whilst pressing left/right in air. No speedcap when running or rolling.

S3K- Speedcaps only whilst flying and gliding.

So yeah, why they'd go back to that is beyond me. It's really daft and unfun design.

Edited by HYDROCITEE

There were several instances, including the beginning of that video where Sonic's able to run full tilt.

I say its physics doing their thing.

That's exactly right, and the constantly improved it between S1 and S3.

S1- Speedcap whilst running or when pressing left/right in the air. No speedcap when rolling.

S2 (and SCD 2011) - Speedcap whilst pressing left/right in air. No speedcap when running or rolling.

S3K- Speedcaps only whilst flying and gliding.

So yeah, why they'd go back to that is beyond me. It's really daft and unfun design.

Probably to put more emphasis on boosters.

The game looks good I guess, still not that excited, but it doesn't look as boringly stale as episode 1 at least.

Every time this game looks bad, something makes it look better...

Every time this game looks good, something makes it look bad....

Don't let that happen again Sega! :P

Is this a new video? It says uploaded 2/29 but I've never seen it.

1. Competent gameplay

2. No talking

3. Slightly audible sound

4. THEY COMPLETE THE STAGE

We have a winner!

Edited by Barry the Nomad

Seems I dun goof'd. Saw that it was already posted here. Strange that it was put up on 2/29 and it never appeared in my searching. Conspiracy???

But its a great video, actually shows the game off well!

Does anyone else notice a blue Sonic on the level load-up screen?

Yep noticed as well.

White Park sounds carnival like it should be. Result screen is nice. Title screen sound the same. I was expecting Sonic 2 title screen remix(kinda i don't know)

Player looks like he knows how to play a platformer. *gasp*

Yeah, everything looks amazing to me. Can't wait to hear release date.

I noticed that at the end of the act at the results screen, the background freezes as the score tallies up - normally the background effects (e.g. waterfall, clouds) will flow, but not in this screen. Interesting... Maybe it's a way to stream the next act to play the whole zone continuously (much like in S3&K)?

The Spindash graphic in Ep2 as seen in those demos looks much more like the Sonic 2 spindash which is great to see.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

More White Park footage! Now with more snowboarding and.... bouncing on badniks?

Bouncing at :50

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 5

I knew this Episode was missing something, but I just couldn't put my finger on what. A row of Badniks lined up for you to completely destroy automatically after touching the boost.

• Thumbs Up 5

That's the boost. It's the fucking boost.

Can't fool me, SEGA. Boost and sex are not the same thing.

A bit slower on the acceleration side, but yeah.

Yep. Boost confirmed.

Not sure how I feel about that. :P

Actually, I wouldn't call it a boost, since it seems a lot more controllable and at least it's significantly slower.

Edited by Groosenator032

That's the boost. It's the fucking boost.

Can't fool me, SEGA. Boost and sex are not the same thing.

Well, mon, you are required to accelerate yourself to get through... well, you know...

• Thumbs Up 2

They roll up the side of a path when jumping horizontally into it. The roll is literally an infinite boost. I doubt there is any way it times out on it's own or costs anything to use. It would be nice if it took something down like your ring counter and made it a risk to use, but since it seems to be a required gimmick for stages that won't happen. Speedruns are just going to be who can 69 the longest through the stage. The new footage showcases lackluster music and further proves the stage design is balls. I literally don't have anything nice to say so I'm going to abstain from the topic now.

I'm out. I don't think anything can convince me to play this anymore.

Edited by Tiller

I dunno why, but the 69ing Spin Dash Boost doesn't really bother me. It would be nice if it wasn't so OP, though... I mean shit. There's no stopping that thing.

Not even a slope stops it lol.

I can defenitly see the inertia fixes, and even bouncing looks great. I also love the fact that they brought back something very subtle, being the jump spinning animation's speed detirmened by how fast you were going.

But still the game looks like nothing i'd ever support. Not that 1 person's decline is gonna help them change their ways for episode 3, but yeah, principles and all that.

Edited by Djawed