Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

I seriously cannot get enough of the badnik design in this game. Snowy is quite possibly one of my favourite looking badniks of all time

I really really love the direction the acts and stages are going in. That is undeniably the best improvement so far. White Park is seriously my new favorite stage by sheer looks alone.

However, those screens really showcase some really stupid level design bullshit. Spring corridors, redundant boost pads, a useless spring platform gimmick (What's the point of it if you just mash the homing attack at it and win?) retarded death pits (what's the goddamn point of placing deathpits after a spring that you can only miss by simply jumping? Why not have that cliff flow into the next part of the level instead of punishing the player for not letting the game do everything?).

I just don't understand this design. Where the heck did it stem from?

• Thumbs Up 3

Nah I think that's something to do with Sonic and Tails, given the bars' colours and positioning (next to life icons).

Yeah, you can just barely make out 'Sonic' and 'Tails' at the end of them.

Here’s a thought, when Sonic becomes Super Sonic how will that affect the co-op gamplay. Assuming Super Sonic would leave Tails for dust. I could be completely wrong here but I get the feeling that both Sonic and Tails will be able to morph into their respective Super forms.

Really like the way those screens look. Seems the snow and carnival levels are in fact 1 stage, meaning theres another completely unknown stage we haven't seen. Level design keeps looking better and better. I said it once, and I'll say it again; THIS is a sequel.

Also Indy/Endri:

132597704176-Clap.gif

Looks like things are finally lightening up again. Lets try and KEEP it that way this time.

Someone on Retro pointed out that we haven't seen a single item box/tv monitor in any of the screenshots or footage. Odd, isn't it?

Someone on Retro pointed out that we haven't seen a single item box/tv monitor in any of the screenshots or footage. Odd, isn't it?

I noticed that too, very interesting...

Perhaps all the screens we've seen are from co-op mode and co-op doesn't have boxes while single player does?

That's the only thing I can think of. Or it's an early build we're seeing and boxes will be added in later. Maybe they're not showing the boxes because elemental shields are back and they're a surprise?

• Thumbs Up 1

Or it's an early build we're seeing and boxes will be added in later.

I think that's what it is. I remember noticing the same thing in the early screens and trailer for Generations.

I noticed that too, very interesting...

Perhaps all the screens we've seen are from co-op mode and co-op doesn't have boxes while single player does?

That's the only thing I can think of. Or it's an early build we're seeing and boxes will be added in later. Maybe they're not showing the boxes because elemental shields are back and they're a surprise?

Seems like random luck of the screenshots to me. Especially since we've already seen shields in action.

>Level starts

>Chain of springs and boosters

Yup. Looking pretty DIMPS so far

DIMPS also made Sonic Advance 1 and as I recall that game wasn't a chain of springs and boosters. Don't criticize a level until you see the ENTIRE layout especially in a Sonic game :-P

DIMPS also made Sonic Advance 1 and as I recall that game wasn't a chain of springs and boosters. Don't criticize a level until you see the ENTIRE layout especially in a Sonic game :-P

He's criticizing everything he's seen thus far, which is... springs and boosters the game. There's a point where it's safe to make a good prediction about how the overall level design of the game will be, and from everything we've seen I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be a lot of automation. The trailer shows it, this gameplay video shows it, and Episode I shows it.

• Thumbs Up 1

He's criticizing everything he's seen thus far, which is... springs and boosters the game. There's a point where it's safe to make a good prediction about how the overall level design of the game will be, and from everything we've seen I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be a lot of automation. The trailer shows it, this gameplay video shows it, and Episode I shows it.

So your basically saying this game is going to have a lot of automation based on that trailer(which purposely shows all of the speedy, flashy parts) and Episode 1? Wha?

So your basically saying this game is going to have a lot of automation based on that trailer(which purposely shows all of the speedy, flashy parts) and Episode 1? Wha?

And what is, at this point, 10 years of Dimps doing it.

Because almost every single bit of gameplay we've seen so far shows Sonic being pushed forward by boosters and springs, and this was Episode I's main problem. Until I see something that shows me otherwise, I'm inclined to believe that a heavy amount of this game is going to be played for you.

I dunno, I think this looks fine. That video made it look like it has a lot of potential, I just want to see someone play it who isn't awful.

Damn, DEM GRAFFIX. Seriously, they're beautiful stuff!

I'm starting to feel slightly more optimistic about this, but still on the fence. :V

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really mind the homing attack, really. The problem with the homing attack was the amount of Bubbles chains there were, and yeah there was one in the video but it seemed so easily passable. I haven't seen much in the way of Bubbles chains in any of the trailers or screens, so perhaps there aren't as many as we might think. All wishful thinking, of course, I could be dreadfully wrong.

My point is that using the homing attack to hit springs or as sort of a double jump of sorts, I think genuinely works with the classic style of the gameplay. I also like being able to get Tails to help you out, so long as it isn't really necessary and stuff like the super spin-dash and stuff isn't as over-powered. Flying with him seems fun and intuitive, I actually like the inclusion of it.

I am so grateful for that video, because it showed Sonic increase his speed slightly while running down that steep incline and onto the water section. The only time his momentum dropped is when he finished a homing attack, but then again, it's always behaved like that. Every other instance, however, shows evidence that you don't just stop like a rock. It's great. Also, Tails' idle animations are adorable. And of course, the graphics are beautiful.

Very optimistic about this.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I really hate how goddamn jarring those boosters are, they're the last thing I expect to see whilst running through a ruined castle area. It just takes you out of the experience, you know?

Edited by Groosenator032

New video here

http://www.gamerlive...s-we-go-hands-2

Edit: ninja'd

Looks pretty awful. I think its safe to say that this is sonic 4 as it should be from the developers point of view. Probably why mr balough hinted to move on and play sonic CD instead.

To the fanboys, congratulations guys and thanks for insisting to barricade us for wanting good things. *thumbs up

Edited by Djawed