Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Wish we could of seen more of the level but I'm happy with what I've seen so far sides the boosters and pointless springs. Now I really want to see White Park Zone played from the start.

They made Tails so much more lively with his animations compared to Sonic.

Edited by Zone Seeker

New video here

http://www.gamerlive...s-we-go-hands-2

Edit: ninja'd

Looks pretty awful. I think its safe to say that this is sonic 4 as it should be from the developers point of view. Probably why mr balough hinted to move on and play sonic CD instead.

To the fanboys, congratulations guys and thanks for insisting to barricade us for wanting good things. *thumbs up

Hahaha, seriously? I think this looks even better than before.

New video here

http://www.gamerlive...s-we-go-hands-2

Edit: ninja'd

Looks pretty awful. I think its safe to say that this is sonic 4 as it should be from the developers point of view. Probably why mr balough hinted to move on and play sonic CD instead.

To the fanboys, congratulations guys and thanks for insisting to barricade us for wanting good things. *thumbs up

The only terrible things I'm seeing is automation segments, and the player.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly don't think it looks all that bad, despite that one segment in the middle it looks pretty solid. Sonic's feet seem to move depending upon his speed as does his jumping animation, a small problem in Episode I. It's easy to see that he has a bit more weight added to his jump and he seems to control much better than before, even with all the problems this definitely looks like a step up from the first episode.

Hahaha, seriously? I think this looks even better than before.

It does look better than episode 1, allthough that doesn't say much. Let me rephrase

It Looks worse than I expected. It looks almost the same as episode 1 actually(physics and control wise). I allrsdy said this at the sega forums. This game isnt for the classic fans and the marketeers have confronted us with it allready by being honest and say that if we dont like it we should rather play sonic cd. Harsh at first but its the truth at the same time. Complaining doesnt work because it seems sonic 4 has been set. Its not supposed to be any different in the eyes of the dumb fucks who are developing it, sadly.

The only problem i've had was the endless mocking going around for wanting the exact same thing as everyone, which was a great game living up to its name, but for some reason some of you dont seem to want that. I reckon you're on of the more positives around, but with so many of you still rewarding SEGA regardless of what the quality is, good or bad, I think this is the moment where I really lost all faith for "1" new game of pure classic gameplay. 1 is all we wanted and even that was too much I guess

Edited by Djawed

more gameplay you can just barely hear the music. The player drowns in the same area as before though.

Edited by Zone Seeker

Am I the only one who hears abit of "You Can Do Anything"?

Edited by Groosenator032

It does look better than episode 1, allthough that doesn't say much. Let me rephrase.

It Looks worse than I expected. It looks almost the same as episode 1 actually(physics and control wise).

Oh, definitely better than Episode 1, but I was saying that it was tons better than the initial gameplay trailer and the last gameplay video we got.

It certainly looks similar. It's a sequel. Derp. But look hard enough and read Endri's and Taxman's posts regarding the physics changes, then I don't understand how you can get so wound up over this. The homing attack is the only thing that's really the same.

Its not supposed to be any different in the eyes of the dumb fucks who are developing it, sadly.

Now, this is the attitude and mannerism that I don't have any tolerance for. I disagree very strongly with your assertion of the developers behind this game, and am willing to vouch for them that they are doing everything they can to make Sonic 4 a great game.

The only problem i've had was the endless mocking going around for wanting the exact same thing as everyone, which was a great game living up to its name, but for some reason some of you dont seem to want that.

Pardon? No member here wants a bad Sonic game, every member is totally rooting for a game worthy of being called a "Classic," me included. Don't generalize us like that simply because a good majority of us aren't so narrow-minded as to what makes a good Sonic game.

I reckon you're on of the more positives around, but with so many of you still rewarding SEGA regardless of what the quality is, good or bad, I think this is the moment where I really lost all faith for "1" game of pure classic gameplay. 1 is all we wanted and even that was too much I guess

Erm, take a look around you. There are plenty of members who have less than cordial things to say about this game, me included. Lack of playable Tails is retarded, for one. Automation shouldn't be so prevalent. See, we're not easily amused babies that take anything like you think we are.

Thing is, this game is genuinely shaping up to be a good 2D Sonic game, and for many of us, that's what we really want. 100% Classic physics would be fantastic, yes, but you know what, this is really good, too. Rolling works, intertia works, you don't stick on walls, you don't uncurl, etc etc. It ain't perfect, but it's a massive step up.

You don't have to settle for nothing less than perfection to make a valid assertion, let alone enjoy a video game.

EDIT:

Re: video - ohey, they got the spindash sound-effect right. NICE.

Looking closer, I can actually see that you don't simply come to a complete halt in midair once you let go of the d pad. That's already a huge improvement on it's own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYhGSkdTsec tongue.png

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 3

Looking closer, I can actually see that you don't simply come to a complete halt in midair once you let go of the d pad. That's already a huge improvement on it's own.

Because almost every single bit of gameplay we've seen so far shows Sonic being pushed forward by boosters and springs, and this was Episode I's main problem. Until I see something that shows me otherwise, I'm inclined to believe that a heavy amount of this game is going to be played for you.

Well I see your reason behind thinking like that, I guess our ways of determining something like this are totally different. I wait to at least the second or possibly the 3rd level to see if this game truly is all about springs and boosters, etc. because usually the 1st level in sonic games are all about flashy, automatic, linear design lol

I hope so, I really want a 2D Sonic game that's fun to control for once.

I'm really excited to play this just so I can form an educated opinion on it. This game isn't one I'm necessarily excited to play because I think it looks awesome or amazing or anything, but I just want to see how far they've come from Episode I. Maybe it'll be a fun game too, who knows?

Just a small note, but in the video on the last page the rep mentions 17 levels. This basically confirms that out of the 18 stages confirmed on the website, one of those is supposed to be a "secret" level like some theorized. Maybe a Doomsday-style stage?

Edited by Agent York

Am I the only one who noticed the guy showing off the Sonic 4 demo said the game will have AND I QUOTE "17 levels"?

Just hearing that is enough to tell me that the game is waaaay better than episode 1.

ph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.png

Edited by Eternal X

Am I the only one who noticed the guy showing off the Sonic 4 demo said the game will have AND I QUOTE "17 levels"?

Just hearing that is enough to tell me that the game is waaaay better than episode 1.

ph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.png

Don't get your hopes up, they're counting each boss stage as an individual level.

I hate the cheapness of the low level count, it really sullies the whole thing. No matter how good this game will be, it's going to be extremely short. I was never expecting a huge game to begin with, but of the 17-18 levels in the game, only 12 are legitimate levels. I know, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were both on 12 levels each, but the levels were pretty damn long and they were supposed to be released as a single game, the episodic nature of Sonic 4 is used as an excuse to sell more games, and due to the lack of lock-on the entire experience will likely feel disjointed.

Don't get your hopes up, they're counting each boss stage as an individual level.

Well, if you can complete the boss level as Super Sonic, in accordance to the leaked achievements, then this might not be the case after all.

So... either the 4th Act is much longer, or Dr Eggman attacks in the 3rd one ala Sonic 1.

4 main zones with 4 acts each (making a total of 16 main levels) and 2 final levels

or...

4 main zones with 3 acts each (making a total of 12 main levels) with 6 more acts dedicated to final bosses and the obligatory extra zone.

Hm.

You don't have to settle for nothing less than perfection to make a valid assertion, let alone enjoy a video game.

Hey I enjoyed sonic generations, which I consider more along the directions they should have taken with s4e2. Why Im calling the developers dumb fucks is exactly for this reason. Compare sonic generations' level design compared to DIMPS'. It can't be more clear after so many games. Taxman, which I respect alot and endri who critisized episode 1 sure bring some weight in their words. Allthough in taxman's statement I found that he was very subtle and specifically complimented the air inertia. It came more off like, "this is what they fixed, you decide wether it's enough". Endri however does get me questioning more, but i'll take that with a grain of salt just like any negative thing about the footage is keeping you optomistic.

I don't know, it's just looking at those footages it looks too much like episode 1. It's building upon episode 1 which makes sense for a sequel yeah. So as i've said and even you seem to support my statement, sonic 4 is not supposed to play like the classics but as something else and I guess one could have piece with that.

If if it doesn't make sense to anyone why this should upset a few people, especially considering this was "supposed" to be the only game that could ever play like that again beside all the re-releases, then yeah, faith is lost for the whole thing.

In the end, I think i'm more bothered by being teased it was supposed to be a return to form than the game itself

Edited by Djawed

Well, if you can complete the boss level as Super Sonic, in accordance to the leaked achievements, then this might not be the case after all.

So... either the 4th Act is much longer, or Dr Eggman attacks in the 3rd one ala Sonic 1.

4 main zones with 4 acts each (making a total of 16 main levels) and 2 final levels

or...

4 main zones with 3 acts each (making a total of 12 main levels) with 6 more acts dedicated to final bosses and the obligatory extra zone.

Hm.

I'm pretty sure there's only 3 acts per level, if you look at the boss screen with Sonic & Tails fighting Eggman I believe there's only a few seconds on the counter. I could be wrong though.

Regardless, 4 zones, no matter how many acts, just sucks. It is not enough variety to hold a single game. My only hope regarding the longevity and overall variety is that more levels take a note from Winter Carnival in terms of variety, so it kind of, almost seems like there's more levels than there actually are. Winter Carnivals acts are divided up in a way that one takes place in a snow-world, one in a carnival, and one in an underground cavern. That's really cool, and I'd be extremely happy if the remaining stages all played out this way. Sylvania Castle changes some things around, but nothing amazing. I like the changes in time of day, and how the third act takes place more in the ruins environment than the sylvanian, but I digress. I guess we'll see when the time comes.

Yup and Tails is yet AGAIN with open mouth. Can he EVER close it?! I can't remember any art from 2010 till now with Tails's mouth closed.

New art from the gameplay video.

94021638.jpg

God damn, who keeps making these renders? No wonder so many people dislike the modern designs. These renders are the modern equivilent of the American renders for classic Sonic.

So staying true to the originals, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really liked how Episode 1 looked and sounded like. Not all the stages pleased my taste in terms of how they were designed, but that didn't bother me too much. The most important part of the game was the thing that made me pass over Episode 1, and that was the gameplay, controlling Sonic. It just didn't feel right to me. I'm still excited to try out Episode 2. The visuals look stunning and hopefully the gameplay will be improved from Ep1.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of like what I heard of Sylvania Castle act 1, it kind of reminds me of Megaman.

>Late to the party.

>Repeats himself that the game is Day 1 buy for him.

>Goes into current subject discussions.

Okay so yeah.

Music: We couldn't hear almost anything but i would agree after Flames pointed out(and i watched again the vid) that it sounds like Megaman.

Physics: To me Sonic seems to accelerate faster and his air-dash seems more powerful OR he doesn't stop like a hammer. I could be wrong though cause i remember in Ep 1 once you did an air-dash and after that you immediately fell from a hill/ledge etc. you had more speed. I 'm also pretty confident that Sonic gained more speed during that incline but i am 100% sure that during the Combo move Sonic & Tails gained a lot of speed.

Graphics: Absolutely gorgeous. Nothing more to say here. The game is one if not the most beautiful downloadable game i 've ever seen.

Level design: It looks more than fine to me. I guess its natural for everyone to have their doubts after Ep 1 boosters etc. but since i didn't mind Ep 1 design at all this is perfect for me.

Also i hope it's a mid-April release =)

EDIT: Oh i forgot about the Zones/Levels. We know that we'll have in total 18 levels right? from Kenesis said at least.

So we have 4 Zones with 3 acts = 12 + 4 Boss Zones = 16.

Now this could go either way. If in the 18 total Kenesis included Special Stage then 17 + Final Showdown = 18

But i am positive that i read somewhere that a sky-like-zone will be in the game. If that's true then 16 + Sky-like-zone + Final Showdown = 18 levels all together.

Edited by frokenok3
  • Thumbs Up 2