Awoo.

Plotholes in the Sonic Series: Try to Solve them once and for all.

King Frosty

If by "pieced together a little more of the puzzle" you mean "made inconsequential and entirely optional continuity references." Chances are nobody at Sega has thought about this nearly as hard as the fans have. The only thing they do hard is to hardly care. And the only way we can explain the plot hole is by inventing material which is never even hinted at in the games, although an official explanation would probably do the same thing.

Blaze is a cat, therefore there are nine versions of her running around. How do you think Big was able to keep up with all those cameos in SA2? He actually never survived the truck….

• Thumbs Up 7

There is more.

Even if we solve Blaze's case (I think its "Blaze Before Rush->Sol Emeralds sends her to Silver's Future->Retckon->Blaze never goes to future->Sonic Rush) Even if thats true we still have Nega. And his story is even more Mind-Fucking.

Well this or Silver's Future and Blaze's world are one place.

Well, that's all your gonna get until we get another game with Blaze. Evey recent game she's appeared in has pieced together a little more of the puzzle.

I dont think so. As I said even if we solve Blaze case, we still have Nega. We will need all 3: Blaze, Silver and Nega to solve this once and for all. Maybe in next Mainstream game?

If by "pieced together a little more of the puzzle" you mean "made inconsequential and entirely optional continuity references." Chances are nobody at Sega has thought about this nearly as hard as the fans have.

• 2 weeks later...

I know Solly said this wasn't really a plothole but I figure I'd give it a shot.

How about the reason why Eggman became evil?

Maybe... he was always evil from the minute he was born. That, or he was raised to be evil.

.............I have no idea, it works as a plot device, just leave it at that. tongue.png

New Plothole so the thread may continue (and this one's bugging the hell out of me...), why does Sonic die in Space when he's stops being super (Doomsday Zone, Final Hazard, etc), but there are many, many, MANY levels that also take place in space and you're perfectly fine (Death Egg, Crazy Gadget, Final Rush, etc)?

One would normally say because of orbit when Sonic falls to Earth Mobius... but then Sonic 2's Ending and the opening of Unleashed happen and disprove that theory.

....so wait, can he or can he NOT survive a landing from space to Earth Mobius? o.O

(This has probably already been answered before, but I still think it belongs in the plothole topic)

Simple, because he's flying through space under a time limit, he's usually at a space station when he's in space. =P

Well, I'm guessing it depends on the distance. When he was falling in the opening of Unleashed, a shield (I SWEAR TO GOD IT WAS CHIP >:U) held him and softened his high altitude. In Sonic 2's ending, Tails caught him in the sky.

Diogenes and other people complaining, I'm giving it a go at these plotholes, then, hopefully they can give something a bit more coherent if still full of speculation?

1.- Blaze and 2006 (let's try to conclude this one once and for all as simply as we can)

Blaze's story goes as usual in 2006. She gets filled with Iblis. She gets sent into another dimension. But then... time gets rewritten. Solaris is gone, and everything is rewritten and altered, Sonic never did all these events, Eggman somehow doesn't think of invading Soleanna, Silver's future that should be now safe is now destroyed by Eggman Nega or something. Everyone involved in the Final Story was rewritten- Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Silver, Eggman, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Amy, Solaris, Mephiles, and Blaze and Iblis.

As they were in another dimension, they also got rewritten, but in that dimension. Consider it sort of that universe assimilating these foreign elements. Blaze is now a Princess in this dimension. And if we want to take this one step further, the reason for her being able to interact with the Sol Emeralds is Iblis- as in, Iblis is a big fire beast, the Sol Emerals are apparently big fire things, they got natural chemistry, man. Diogenes kicked this one rightfully.

2. Eggman Nega (A plothole that only exists in the west!)

For this theory to work, we're going to assume Rivals and Rivals 2 happen after Rush and Rush Adventure.

Nega is Eggman's descendant. He does his Rivals plan, good, and then his Rivals 2 plan- resulting in an interdimensional beast almost being released from its dimension. Unfortunately for him, it's Nega who gets trapped instead.

Let's speculate now. Nega's a genius, and this world though ravaged is still a world. Let's assume it's equal to Sonic's world. Nega searches throughout the rubble and confusion, and ends up finding enough MacGuffin power (don' care, Chaos Emeralds, Chaos Rings, anything) to reopen the door between dimensions. Here, I have three options:

1- He planned on returning to Sonic's world, but the portal had not enough power or dimensional travel is more difficult than we think and he ended up travelling not only in space but also in time- ending up in Blaze's world before Rush.

2- He planned on travelling back to before his own failures to make better, in a parallel to Rivals, but ends up in Blaze's world by accident.

3- Not having had success on Sonic's world he goes to Blaze's world by purpose, also time-travelling unintentionally.

Whichever one, fact is he is on Blaze's world before Rush, where he proceeds to gain his position as Blaze's enemy, and later Sonic's, before Sonic even knew him.

3. The Moon

Eggman blew up only one of the many moons on Earth. The times we see levels with moons on their sky, we most often tend up to see the moon not blown up. To add to that, the blown up side is furthest away, the moon's landmasses reshifted to make it whole and round again, and GUN helped the job, using the moon pieces.

There, all theories together.

4. Tails' Emerald (name for future Tails spinoff?)

Station Square was part of a city, part of a government. Even after Perfect Chaos' attack and reconstruction, said city and government are there. The government then gave the Emerald to Tails because apparently Chaos Emeralds are relatively unknown in this world. They probably thought of it as a good-looking rock.

5. Station Square, Central City, and other results of mass destruction

Since this is a world with a planetoid appearing over a lake regularly, scientists putting robots everywhere, a military with a space station, and whatnot, we'll just assume someone had the idea of "well one of these days this Robotnik dude or those Battle Birds or something is bound to cause some shit, man" and prepared most major urban centres with insanely good evacuation plans and rebuilding plans as well.

6. Shadow, Gerald, Maria, Gizoid, Biolizard (form a Beatles homage band)

Gerald gets arrested. In his despair, he goes from days of feeling anger to days of feeling sorrow but hope. On the bad days, he uses GUN tech to re-program Shadow to prepare the ARK for his vengeance, and upload the files he had archived on GUN's databases, along with protecting his tube with a Chaos Emerald lock and password: Maria. On his good days, he regrets what he's doing and therefore reprograms Emerl to have a soul based on his memories of Maria, who he had given to GUN years before as a way to keep working in Project SHADOW.

Ok, those are all I can think of now. Any more for me to take a potshot at?

Edited by The KKM

Blaze is in aught six because someone making that game heard she was popular (optional: they then said "who is that?"), or maybe they just wanted to ship their character (Silver) with her. The amount of attention paid to this plot hole is massively out of line with how much the developers paid.

• Thumbs Up 2

1.- Blaze and 2006 (let's try to conclude this one once and for all as simply as we can)
The problem I have with this is that it's predicated on the timeline change doing things it has no right to be doing, things that would appear completely random and nonsensical if we didn't already know the end state and were only proposing these things to explain it. I can't think of any rational mechanism for the timeline change to leave Blaze and Iblis where they ended up, but to warp the universe in such a way as to make it as if they had always been there. It tries to abuse time/dimensional travel being mysterious and spooky enough that you can just shout "Weird Time/Space Shit!" at the problem to make it go away. It's less an answer and more a cheat.

And if we want to take this one step further, the reason for her being able to interact with the Sol Emeralds is Iblis- as in, Iblis is a big fire beast, the Sol Emerals are apparently big fire things, they got natural chemistry, man.
I don't see any reason to propose this, given that she couldn't use them at the start of Rush (wasn't until she learned to open up a bit that she was able to), and Sonic doesn't appear to have the remnants of any kind of "big chaos beast" sealed within him and yet he can use the Chaos Emeralds. Besides, she already had a connection to fire before sealing Iblis.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have another plothole. In Generations why are we fighting Shadow and Silver. Especially Shadow. I mean he's an GUN agent and somewhat of a good guy but the first words from him to Sonic are like "I don't care where we are BATTLE ME!". I don't get it.

I just assumed Shadow you fight was the Shadow from Sonic Adventure 2. The one you see at the end of the game is the present-day Shadow. Or, he could just be in a really bad mood. : P

As for Silver, he's just paranoid and thought Sonic might be a fake trying to steal the Chaos Emerald. Normally, I'd say he was being stupid, but...well, I don't see anything wrong with being cautious, especially with the Chaos Emeralds involved. I'm not sure how Sonic defeating him proves that he's the real Sonic, but eh, video game logic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have another plothole. In Generations why are we fighting Shadow and Silver. Especially Shadow. I mean he's an GUN agent and somewhat of a good guy but the first words from him to Sonic are like "I don't care where we are BATTLE ME!". I don't get it.
  • Thumbs Up 2

^ It's a shame, they really shouldn't have made them stand in the hub like that until AFTER the fight. That way it could have been explained as you fighting the Shadow/Silver of the time period which you've travelled back to.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 3

Meh, not really. With the main bosses it can be assumed that Sonic has just jumped back in time and is reliving the original fight (though under a new "retelling" of how it happened). They could have just done the same for the Rival fights, then have the present-day rival be "saved" afterwards like the other characters. Metal Sonic could just say some crap like "entering hibernation recovery mode".

• Thumbs Up 1

4ktv9f.jpg

This is the absolute best I can do.

I love you baby, Indigo, i really do, but NO. I had the sanic continuity figured out before it was COOL.

BULLSHIT TEXTWALL OF DEFINITE TRUTH INCOMING

I SPENT A LONG TIME RESEARCHING THIS REALLY HARD. THIS IS COPYRIGHT ME.

SegaSonic and his friends Mighty and Ray defeated Eggman for the first time (SegaSonic the Hedgehog).

At the end of this, Robotnik created Tails out of SegaSonic's Sega energy (thus removing the "Sega" part of SegaSonic's name) and tied him to Sonic to slow him down (Sonic Crackers).

Sonic and Tails, after breaking the ring bond, get their revenge on Robotnik (Sonic 2).

After the end of that game, Tails sees a strange disturbance in the distance and flies away to investigate (Tails Sky Patrol).

Then he comes back to Sonic, who's still with the Tornado, and they fly to Angel Island (Sonic 3/K).

Afterwards, Eggman realizes how much Tails has been helping Sonic, so he captures Tails, and Sonic tries to save him (Sonic 2 8-bit).

After Sonic has beat Eggman, he captures Tails AGAIN immediately after, storing him away in a secret holding facility. Sonic becomes depressed at his repeated failure and spends most of his time reading books (Sonic and the Secret Rings).

Then he meets Amy, and for a while she becomes his friend, before getting kidnapped by Metal Sonic (Sonic CD).

Afterwards, they decide to go to lunch, and Sonic gets distracted while bringing her chili dogs (Sonic and the Black Knight).

Sonic does eventually try to look for Tails, but is unsuccessful (Sonic the Hedgehog 4).

Meanwhile, Tails escapes from his prison and finds himself on a strange island, where he lives alone and becomes self-sufficient. Then, when exploring, he finds another strange island populated by bird robots (Tails Adventure).

Years pass, and civilization eventually builds a bridge to the island, naming the area where Tails settled the Mystic Ruins. [Events ofSonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, and Shadow the Hedgehog go here.]

After Knuckles got to know the Chaotix better, he decides to join the Chaotix. Additionally, Mighty, who had been looking for new pals after Ray died, also joined the Chaotix. Eggman senses that there could be an uprising with such a large new team of heroes, so he tries to revive his failed ring bond tech from when he created Tails to stop them (Knuckles' Chaotix). (In addition, Charmy is allergic to the Combi Rings and aged 10 years because of it. This is logical.)

So, meanwhile, Sonic and Tails get into an argument, and everyone sees them kicking the crap out of each other, and so they all decide to do so (Sonic the Fighters), and it escalates even more when Sonic finds a futuristic battle android from the past washed up on the beach, and teaches it to fight (Sonic Battle).

Afterwards, to relieve some tension, they decide to throw a party and play some pinball (Sonic Pinball Party).

However, Dr. Robotnik becomes jealous, and says "I'LL THROW A PINBALL PARTY YOU'LL NEVER FORGET!" and builds a terrible mountain fortress, and Sonic goes to stop Eggman once and for all (Sonic Spinball).

Afterwards, Sonic decides the party shouldn't be over yet, so they move on to arcade games. They discover Sonic is now a celebrity and play a game that was made based off him (Sonic 1 8-bit). However, the gameplay was very off and Sonic and Tails got really angry, so they make their own game that they think will be far more popular. The game is a bomb and is completely forgotten (Sonic Eraser).

Afterward, Sonic needs to let off more steam, and decides to extend the party even further (Sonic Shuffle).

Sonic then realizes this need to expend energy is from not going fast enough, so he decide to start a kart racing league (Sonic Drift, Sonic Drift 2), and the league then becomes incredibly popular and gets many participants from other worlds (Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing).

However, Sonic realizes that he'd be better off running, and decides that the league should no longer use cars. Everyone else is so disappointed at this that that they leave. Sonic then formed a new, mostly-on-foot racing league with the few remaining participants (and also he lets Amy still drive because he's pussy-whipped) (Sonic R).

The league does gradually grow though (Sonic Rivals, Sonic Rivals 2). Then, once again, Sonic decides that it's too boring, and secretly makes a deal with Eggman so he can work the race into his evil schemes. However, this backfires for Sonic when Eggman forces the characters to use hoverboards (Sonic Riders). Afterwards, Eggman organizes two more of the same tournaments (Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, Sonic Free Riders).

Sonic decides that he just needs ONE MORE thrill, and competes in the Olympic Games (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games). However, this weird group of people led by this weird plumber guy beat Sonic, and so he again tries to beat them at the Winter Olympics (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games). Still, he is bested again, and goes into denial, imagining an Olympics without Mario's crew (Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games). He tries just one more time, yet still to no luck (Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games)

His condition deteriorates, starting with strange alternate relivings of past adventures (Sonic Pocket Adventure), and eventually causing hallucinations of surreal, isometric landscapes, and an erasure of his abilities (Sonic Labyrinth). He eventually decides this strange, isometric world is a very bad thing, and goes on a journey of the mind, defeating his inner demons (metaphorically Eggman) and freeing his lost memories (metaphorically Flickies) (Sonic 3D Flickies' Island/Blast).

To celebrate Sonic's return to sanity, Tails throws a party in the Hidden Palace, but accidentally eats the Master Emerald instead of the cake (which was green). This throws the chaos emeralds out of whack, and they scatter. Robotnik manages to retrieve the red one, which throws the whole world into chaos (Sonic Chaos).

Tails is still recovering from the Master Emerald incident when Eggman starts a new scheme, so Knuckles fills in for Tails (Sonic Blast). Sonic destroys the facility, scattering the emeralds once more. However, while that's happening, Eggman convinces Knuckles that Sonic is going to steal the emeralds for himself, and enlists him to help. Tails recovers, and Sonic and Tails, once again, go after Robotnik (Sonic Triple Trouble).

Eggman's next few schemes all are nearly identical and all end pretty much the exact same way (Sonic Advance 1 through 3).

His repeated failures drive him mad and unleash the darker, eviller parts of Eggman's soul. He spends years studying the details of the universe, and tries again to take over the world, but this time in a much more dark, evil fashion (Sonic the Hedgehog 2006). The events of Sonic 06, correcting the future, create a SPLIT TIMELINE.

The Sonic of the destroyed world explores the disfigured, distorted remnants of the decaying world (Sonic X-Treme).

When things begin to be rebuilt once more, Sonic has a run-in with an alternate dimension, turning out to be the world Blaze sealed herself in at the end of Sonic 06 (Sonic Rush). Later this happens again (Sonic Rush Adventure).

In the "safe" timeline, Eggman, who didn't go insane because the plot was retconned, nonetheless splits apart the world. This permanently changes the location of the world's continents (Sonic Unleashed for PS3/360). After this massive adventure, Sonic has a really long nap in which he relives the adventure he just had, though with the idiosyncracies dreams tend to have (Sonic Unleashed for Wii/PS2).

Years pass (and Sonic's voice gets deeper), and Eggman builds a theme park in space to brainwash the citizens of the planet (Sonic Colorsfor Wii). The dream thing happens again (Sonic Colors for DS).

After this, Sonic celebrates with his pals his 20th birthday, which is ruined by the arrival of Time Eater, an entity that was spawned from the timeline split. It scatters each and everyone of them, including younger versions of Sonic, through areas from his past. They (most likely, cause the game aint out yet silly bastards) defeat it and fix the timeline once more. (Sonic Generations PS3/360) The dream thing happens once again, this time Sonic imagines other areas from different events. (Sonic Generations 3DS)

Eggman puts his next scheme into action, culminating in the events of Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, and Sonic and friends about to face the new Eggman Empire is the latest point in the chronology.

The original "Sonic the Hedgehog" for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive is non-canon.

yay/nay?

Either way, this is definitive, unarguable chronology of the Sonic series. I am right

• Thumbs Up 1

Why would Silver think Sonic was a fake, I mean, there's only one super speedy hedgehog out there, nothing to cause him to think twice... well, except for the chubbier lighter blue Sonic running around, the other shinier short one rocketing about and that taller darkish hedgehog fighting with the other taller blue hedgehog a few gates back.

... on second thought, it might be better to just stay on the paranoid side and not possibly give one seventh of the ability to save the multiverse to the wrong guy.

(Seriously though, I assumed it was Silver being paranoid after seeing both Classic and Modern Sonic running about, assuming that one was some evil doppelganger. Meanwhile, Shadow's just a dick.)

Why can Sonic & co breathe in space, and not in water?

Did we cover that?

If so, how did Classic Sonic learn how to talk?

Well, Planet Wisp and possibly Sweet Mountain (assuming it was actually once a planet made up of food somewhere in space :P) likely have oxygen of their own, while Tropical Resort, Starlight Carnival, Aquarium Park, and Asteroid Coaster have whatever the Death Egg and the ARK must have.

...Or people can just breathe in space in the Sonic universe. XD