Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

So... i'm starting late. :V I hope that's okay! Anyway Day 8: Favorite Move. My favorite move out of all the video games i've ever played is probably Zero's Giga Attack from Megaman X4. It looks so freaking badass. :3 Plus it could come in handy if there are hard to reach enemies, though it's the only move that Zero uses that has limited energy. (All his other moves don't require energy.)

Edited by Ravenfreak

Oh, whoops. I'm sorry, let me fix that:

25thkl1.jpg

Should I post a second favorite?

I like the homing attack a bunch, 3D or 2D. You can zero in on enemies and bounce into another one to make some cool chains. A lot of people don't seem to like it, but I always thought it was pretty fun.

I don't get why he's so angry. He just has to let go of the right button and he's safe.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 4

Day 8 - WHATS YO FAVORITE ABILITY IN VIDYA

I'm surprised no one chose this.

The Legend of Zelda (ALttP beyond) - Spin Attack

Link_Wind_Waker_11.png

I always used to think that this solved everything in Zelda games. No, really. For any Zelda fan, this one's pretty reliable. This can cut several things at once, and magic can be used to power this up in order to create something really badass. But of course, this had to be embellished somehow: That's why we have our Skyward Strike, Magic/Charged Spin Attacks, Whirlwind Spin Attacks, and in Brawl, Link can Dual Wield and spin with not one, but two swords as well. Up + B, my friend. Up +B. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

crashrender.pngDay 8 - Favorite Ability from a Video Game

It's a classic ability and you know it!

Crash Bandicoot Spin

I basically love this ability, it's so rewarding seeing Crash spinning around in circles and ramming into enemies (Especially in Crash Twinsanity, my favorite Crash game to date). I have always found hilarity in how he gets all dizzy in the Titans games whenever he spins for too long (Even though in the game before that he could spin for however long he wanted.) So this, has to be my all-time favorite ability in a videogame (Especially when you ram Cortex into Power Crystals!)

(Changed it because I liked this one better. <3)

Edited by WhiteandNerdy-Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can't pick, so I'll just choose one I found to be really useful:

The charge attack badge from the first two Paper Mario games.

This is so much fun to use it isn't even funny. Oh, wait, it is funny. It's funny to fight a boss or tough enemy, charge like crazy for a while, than do a combo attack. Beating bosses before they go into harder phases? Yes please. Killing that asshole Huff n' Puff without having to deal with his BS minions as much? THANK YOU.

Day 8 - Favorite Ability from a Video Game

battletoads5.gif

My fav ability is the body tranform hit move that the Battletoads were known for in the NES, SNES and other games. Its a shame that this series didnt go like how the Arcade one was where you fought for the whole game since I prefered that one over the rest. I thought it was hilarious when I first saw them use their moves on the Snes and I enjoyed how the Arcade version focused on fighting fully while having nice graphics as well.

Ninth: Favourite boss

Big Arm is my favourite boss in a Sonic game. Just gettin' that out of the way. Alas, my all-time favourite is...

Ansem%20Riku.jpg

Ansem-Riku

The Duel Boss is my favourite kind in any video game, and this guy is the most challenging, satisfying and downright awesome fight I've ever played. I've got a save in Hallow Bastion just so I can go back once in a while and ignore replaying Kingdom Hearts but instead tackle this boss alone.

He's fast, he's brutal, he's got flashy arena-covering attacks, yet he's not cheap, not unfair, and not frustrating. His most devastating attacks are telegraphed so a savvy player can dodge them in time, while the basic combat invites the button-masher and takes him to school.

That he's got one of the most awesome boss themes ever is worth some extra points.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day Numbero 9.99 You can (not) defeat them - Ninja's Badass as Hell, "Top People who will Mop the floor with Kami", Favourite Bosses Ever!

167nz93.jpg

Any Mirror Boss

Whilst I do love a good fight against a Huge Creature that can squish my Character like Nothing, my Most preferred type of bossfight is still the Mirror Boss.

Nothing gets me More excited in a Boss then seeing One that has simliar or equal Abilities to my Character, wich More then often requres certain strategy to combat said Boss.

I picked Okami's Ninetails, Bayonettas Jeanne and Devil May Cry's Vergil since those 3 are my alltime Favourites in that Regard, and have some of the Most memorable Bossfights in recent History to Me.

Mantis_face.jpg

You enjoy playing Super Mario Sunshine, don't you?

Psycho Mantis, Metal Gear Solid 1

Nowadays, Most people probably don't think this Guy is anything special most likeley, but the thing is Psycho Mantis Left a Huge Impression on Me.

Psycho Mantis was one of the Most clever bosses I have ever seen in my time as a Gamer, Simply because he is pretty much undefeatable....until you swich the Controller Port that is.

His entire mind reading thing is based entireley on the controller Port, it's simple, yet so effective, and thats why I Love this Guy.

9620381aaa.jpg

The Luchador Gorilla, God Hand

Now, I admit, I haven't really played God Hand myself yet but.....LOOK AT THIS!

it's....a Demon, Disguised as a Human, Disguised as a Gorilla, Dressed like a Luchador

I....Just....how could I NOT add this on this List I ask you?!

Naturally, the Fight itself looks fun as hell too but the main reason he lands here is...well.....yeah...

DarkBowserAni.gif

Dark Bowser, Mario & Luigi: Bowsers inside Story

usually, this Fight would fall Under the Mirror Boss, but Dark Bowser deserves a special mention

it has Awesome Music, Awesome Setting, the Fight itself is Awesome, Bowser is being Awesome, the Brothers themselve are Being Awesome.

Not only that, but it's one of those Fights were you really Throw everything you got at Him.....and he throws his own Version.

and of course, it ends up with one of the Greatest Punches thrown in Video game History.

Honorable Mentions:

King Dedede, Kirby Super Star (Ultra) - he gets a mention simply because of his Awesome Theme and the Location itself, you Gotta Love a Good ol Boxing Ring

Dr. Eggman, Sonic Colors - Certanly one of my favourite Bosses, Eggman throws everything he's got at you, and you Respond with "UNLIMITED COLORS!" all of wich make this Boss satisfaying as Heck

Edited by Mr. NinjaShark
  • Thumbs Up 5

Day 9: Favorite Boss in a Video Game:

I took a lot of time on this one and so I'm going with...

REX_VS_RAY.jpg

The Metal Gear battle in Metal Gear Solid 4. As a fan who has played the Metal Gear series up to this point knows about the two Metal Gears obviously. But its pretty epic concidering that Snake is driving the Metal Gear that tried to kill him and he's the underdog since RAY was created to destroy REX's mass produced counterpart. And of course RAY was never fought in MGS2 leaving a big plothole on what happened to it afterwords and here it is. This was a great fight, being able to fight in the titular giant mechs to the death. Its also pretty fun since it does feel like you are stomping around beating the shit out of RAY. I'll say its the best part of MGS4 and it was worth the wait.

Runner Ups:

Margaret Moonlight - No More Heroes 2: A gothic lolita girl with a scythe gun combo with a catchy theme song is pretty epic. The only reason why this isn't my first is because I played it to the ground which is my fault. ;___;

General Brigan - Odin Sphere: A particlarly hard boss when first encountered, not to mention he's a giant viking Robotnik on steroids. But he's just too frustrating to be first for me. :P

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 9 - Favorite Boss in a Video Game

Aww, Asagi is so cute. ^-^

*ahem* So, a favourite boss? Hmm...heh, I kinda did something similar in a different topic.

Sonic Adventure 2/Battle: The Biolizard

320pxbiolizard.png

So what? Are we technically fighting Shadows half brother or something?

I remember first trying to bring this bad boy down. And it was one heck of a challenge. I always enjoy a challenging boss fight. The ominous music really helped set the mood and the sheer size of the thing made me wounder if it was even possible to defeat it. I was convinced that he could easily smash me to nothingness if he wanted and on some attempts, he did. There was also an aspect of the fight that I liked, that wasn't present in 3DS Generations. That being the water flowing through the path your standing on. If I was too close to the outside area of the path Shadow was on and then forget to jump, say goodbye to Shadow because he's taking a ride down the rapids of...yellow liquid...

Maybe a strange choice, but I just remember how difficult it was at first, so it's one of the more memorable ones.

Honourable Mention - Egg Emperor: Sonic Heroes

Day #9 - Kami's Mega Powerful "Ninjashark is a Goomba in comparison to" Most Favourite Boss to Bossy up the Boss Place

Assuming we won't have another day for Final Bosses (or close to that), I'll make my choice the final battles with Eggman as Sonic in S3&K (in both Death Egg Zone and Doomsday Zone).

Dez2finalboss.png

how many fingers am I holding up?

Doomsday.png

These series of bosses have always stuck out in my mind as some of the most intense, yet fun battles with a villain in any video game. Starting with the Fingers phase, its a simple attempt at crushing Sonic, which easily backfires since its easy to dodge, allowing you to tear the fingers to shreds. A simple and almost playful start, compared to what's to come...

After that, we move onto the second phase, where the Robot starts crashing through the walkway as it chases you. Things gets difficult as you try to attack it's nose (which spurts fire every now and then, which is a rather clever trick to catch you off guard), to reveal the Emerald, which charges up for a mega laser as you pound into it. Even now I can find this part rather tricky, trying to avoid spending too much time attacking the emerald before the laser fires.

Once that parts beaten, Eggman dislodges his Egg-Mobile, and attempts an escape with the emerald as the Death Egg yet again begins crashing down around him. I always love this part, where you chase after Eggman and have to stop him by attacking the Egg-Mobile, since its a pretty big rush and its pretty easy to fall off the edge when you bounce back after a hit (especially bad if you get the last hit then fall off). Once you beat him here, everything seems fine and dandy as you get the Master Emerald...

Then you move into The Doomsday Zone, where Sonic transforms (if you have all the emeralds...you do have them right? :V) and chases Eggman through space to reclaim the Master Emerald again, coming across a ship, then an Eggman Robot. The ship boss is interesting, due to the need to redirect it's own missiles into it, rather than attacking it head on (as tends to be the norm for Sonic games :V). The second portion is more straight forward, since your only action is to ram repeatedly into Eggman's robot til it dies, then hey-presto, you saved the day :V

Anyway, I really enjoy how all these battles combined into one gigantic effort on Eggman;s part to both defeat Sonic once and for all, and hold onto the most powerful artefact that he's managed to get his mits on. By the end it really seems like Eggman's pulling out all the cards to the point of desperation so he can at least pull off the second one, and that's why its always particularly memorable to me (well that and its just plain fun, but that's a bonus, right? :V)

Honourable Mentions

Metal Sonic (Generations) - I really enjoy how Sonic Team managed to translate the original race from CD in a more direct boss battle, while still remaining quite faithful to it's origins. I also find the battle plays out rather nicely, with Metal Sonic charging for an attack (which always look rather powerful), then leaving himself open afterwards due to energy drain. My only issue is that its a rather easy battle, since even if you get hit by his attack you'll still be able to get him as well, when they could've made it so that he only drains when he misses :/

King Dedede (various) - Being one of my favourite characters ever, I always enjoy a good scuffle with this guy. He tends to always have the same tactics for most fights (tackle, inhale, hammer, jump, puff up, hammer three times, jump hammer), which makes him a tad predictable, but its still fun. I do enjoy when new things are done with him in terms of battles, like having him in a Hot Air Balloon raining bombs down in Mass Attack, or taking on the Masked Dedede guise and fighting harder the usual, so its all good.

• Thumbs Up 4

458px-Skyward-sword-artwork-multi-arm.jpg

KOLOKTOS.

Where to begin? It's a giant statue in the middle of a room swinging giant... axes at you, which are fairly easy to dodge. Here's the good part. You get to RIP IT'S ARMS OFF AND SLASH THE SHIT OUT THEM WITH YOUR SWORD. It feels good man. Real good.

But phase 2 is where this fight really shines. It stands up, pulls out these giant swords and starts chasing you.

When it smashes down, you can tear it's arms off again. For a minute, I was confused. How do you hurt it now? Then, I walked over one of the swords laying on the ground...

"Pick up"

Heavydowant.jpg

I then proceeded to BREAK IT'S LEGS OUT FROM UNDER IT WITH A SWORD AS LARGE AS ME. Then, it finally covers up it's heart with iron bars. I BROKE THE BARS WITH THE GIANT SWORD. I FELT SO POWERFUL. I left that temple feeling like a badass.

• Thumbs Up 5

Favorite boss? Gotta say, i've never even played the stage, but... Sonic Generations: Perfect Chaos.

010.jpg

I really don't enjoy bosses. The reasoning is rather ironic- despite being a fan of one of the fastest gaming characters ever, if not the fastest, i don't like being rushed. Even when i'm going full speed, I like going at my own pace, and constantly avoiding what appear to be homing shots doesn't give me the wiggle room to take the long way. With Perfect Chaos, however, sans the 2D sections, you kinda just run at him. His tentacles are everywhere, sure, but not for a second do i have his snout breathing down the back of my neck. It's a very nice change of pace from chase bosses, which literally don't let you stop, and enclosed arena bosses, where breathing is a luxury. Add in that raw platforming segment at the end there (which despite falling apart on it's own and keeping you on your toes) that just lets you go, you've got yourself a winner.

But seriously.

I think, purely for how pumped I was and the general atmosphere, I have to say the final battle in Ocarina of Time.

Sure, part of it is just playing Pong, and I actually struggled to get the timing right (I was fine in Wind Waker though). But everything preceding it, then the music in the battle itself, everything you've been through so far...it just feels completely epic. This IS it. The fate of Hyrule...the whole world...IS at stake. I don't think any other game has had that effect on me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 9 - Favorite Boss in a Video Game

Psycho_Mantis.png

PsychoMantis.png

Psycho Mantis - Metal Gear Solid

Today he might not be as amazing, but back then, wow! Him taking control over me, moving my controller with his mind, reading my mind was so crazy! Tricking him by changing controller slot was really creative. I loved the call back to that strategy in MGS4, when I was told that it wouldn't work this time

laugh.png Or his excitement about the return of vibration laugh.png

Though, aside from those crazy powers, he was a basic boss, but still a fun one!

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've got a good one.

Ganondorf - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

389830-ww___link_vs_ganondorf___final_by_gts.jpg

Now, why would I choose this particular showdown against Ganondorf over all of the others?

One simple reason: atmosphere.

Epiiiiiiic ;A;

What sets this fight above all of the Ganondorf battles, in my opinion, was the outcome of this fight.

In Ocarina of Time, Ganondorf had the Triforce of Power in hand, and already had Hyrule under his fist. Would he have won (and some say he actually did, now with the third timeline), his rule would remain certain (until the Imprisoning War). This leads to ALttP, the Oracle games, and the original Zelda game where he remains slain, but his minions then attempted his resurrection afterward. Should more Links follow here, there is still the chance that Ganondorf can always be revived.

In Twilight Princess, almost the same scenario as OoT, minus the ruling of the kingdom. Though if he had won, he would've done so. However, he was slain by Link, but his revival was attempted and won again in Four Sword Adventures, where he now remains sealed within the Four Sword. The set up in TP wasn't necessarily as epic, but still cool. But in Wind Waker...

Even if he wins, he will gain nothing.

He gathered the Triforce, but King Daphnes uses it to wish for Hyrule to drown beneath the waves of the ocean and for Link and Tetra to live for the future.

Because of this, Ganondorf loses the Triforce - including his own Triforce of Power - and thus loses most of his powers, namely immortality and his transformation abilities.

And thus, even if he wins, he would still be left to drown beneath the sea.

Ganondorf had nothing left to lose. He's desperate. All he sees is red, and the spirit of the hero once again standing before him just like in OoT a long time ago.

He's twice your size, he's bloodthirsty, he's angry.

He knows he's gonna die, but he's gonna try to take Link and Zelda down with him, even if it will kill him.

CUE EPIC BATTLE MUSIC

This sets a good atmosphere for the fight. Tense, anxious, heart pumping, and again, epic. The fight to end all fights as the world comes crashing down around you with torrents of falling water drowning out all sounds but battle cries and the clashing of blades.

Zelda backs you up with Light Arrows, so you feel relatively safe as you attack Ganondorf with the blade of evil's bane.

After a few of these, he sets his sights onto Zelda, then bitchslaps backfists her into unconsciousness, leaving you with little to no defence as Ganon then turns to you again and ceases to hold back. Your basic attacks are useless, so you try to step up your game to balance out the fight for as long as possible. Your nimbleness, agility, and dexterity with the Master Sword rivals Ganondorf's brute strength and blind rage.

It wasn't long until Zelda began to stir, and then decided to use your Mirror Shield to reflect the Light Arrows onto Ganon.

After a few of these, Ganon, despite his paralysis, tries to swipe at Link, only for the Hero of Winds to spin around, cut up his back with a leap into the air, then with one fierce yell, Link came down with the Master Sword...

WindWakerForeheadStab-620x.jpg

And stabs Ganondorf through the head.

The wind blows as Ganondorf stood, frozen in place with the Master Sword lodged through his skull and into his body, and the Sword turns his body into stone...

tumblr_lso35uWGP61r464lfo1_500.gif

And followed by a bittersweet ending with King Daphnes choosing to stay behind and remain in the drowned Hyrule (TTATT WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE, KING OF RED LIONS), Wind Waker concludes (WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TTATT) as Link and Zelda/Tetra sail off to new adventures.

The Master Sword, Ganondorf, and Hyrule... now left forgotten and reduced to legends in generations onward...

In conclusion, the fight was epic with Ganondorf's desperation, it was fun to play and wasn't too stressful, and it was all around gorgeous. This is one boss battle I'll forever remember.

WHY DID I NOT CHOOSE THIS. Argh. This is my other pick.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 9 favourite boss in a video game...

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!

LIIIIIIIIQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIDDDDDDDDDD!!!

of course i'm on about this...

mgs4screenbossfight.jpg

you are the perfect killing machine, been on many dangerous missions and come out on top, however a flaw in your genes sadly leads to you having accelerated ageing and your body is physically shutting down, the only thing keeping you going is your octocamo suit and your unbreakable will... you've been chasing your brother, a fellow experiment like you for as long as you can remember and you finally get the chance you've wanted all your life... a Showdown to prove who is the better, stronger Snake!

you've just saved the world from war, you've neutralized Arsenal Gear, you fall unconscious, only to woken by your brother atop Arsenal Gear.

standing before you, your genetic brother, aged, battered much like yourself standing ready to face you down, fist to fist... he takes his battle stance, you take yours...let battle commence

how can i describe this boss fight? 2 old war vets beating eachother to a pulp as if they were young men is what makes this fight so AWESOME, you go hand to hand with Liquid Snake, you can only use your melee abilities and CQC (grapples) to subdue Liquid, the fight starts out, you throw a few punches and low leg sweeps, he counters with powerful punches and parry's, then liquid falls, battle over? won? not a chance, he injects himself with Nanites and is back to full strength again, you attempt to take him down again, no use he injects himself again, what the fuck? how can you beat a guy with infinite health? you can't, you get beat to a pulp which triggers a cutscene, Liquid blabs about being the superior fighter and is about to finish you off, when Snake jumps into life and injects himself with one of Liquid's nanite shots, they duke it out, fighting over the shots... exhausted and tired, they collapse into each others arms... this is when the badassary increases ten fold... they both take their final shots... and inject EACHOTHER in their necks, as your HUD jumps to life, you see both your and Liquid's life gauges fill up, this is it, the final stand Snake vs Snake, Solid vs Liquid and what tops it all off? ENCOUNTER from MGS1 plays as you battle, as you reach each mini checkpoint... the main theme plays from the following game Sons of Liberty, then Snake Eater's theme... before the eventual catch up to 4's MGS theme for Old Snake, the battle is long and gruelling, you both become tired, barely able to fight, you throw 2 final punches with all your weight behind them... Liquid staggers, screams out, staggers and again, before finally falling, defeated.

most epic over the top final boss EVER just judge for yourselves

• Thumbs Up 5

Favorite Boss? Yami from Okami (LOLOLOLOL IT RHYMES GAIZ)

okami_conceptart_i8mow.jpg

Holy hot damn, this boss is a tough son of a bitch, but is really fun to play. I don't know what it is, but the brush techniques and the way they're incorporated into the fight is great fun. And the final showdown theme, my god, the final showdown theme:

447px-Manlytears3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

The End - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

How fantastic was this? Let me count the sheer variety of ways I could fight this guy.

• I could spend an hour crawling around, not making a noise and blending into the environment and behind objects until I found his tracks and followed them.
  • I could use the directional microphone and listen for his breathing and sneak up on him (like the guy in the video did).
  • I could run around like a crazy asshole and have him shoot at me until I found his location, then hide and sneak up on his position.
  • On the second playthrough I could play like he was, scanning the entire area with the tranquilizer rifle and moss camo, looking for a glint of light to shoot at (which could take hours but was still my favorite way).
  • I could shoot at his damn bird and piss him off so he came at me.
  • I could use the IR goggles and turn the fight into a cakewalk by looking for his heat signature (boo!).
  • I could shoot him in the head two hours earlier in the game and not have to face him at all.
  • I could save the game and wait a week and have him die of old age.

Best of all, the dude was nice enough that if you "died" (really just passed out, because he was using tranq rounds), he would dump you in a safe location for another go around with him.

This was Kojima at his absolute, positive best; and for that reason alone MGS3 is worth playing (well, that and the ladder).

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 6

Favourite Boss? This was a tough one.But there was in the end no contest.

p2_shot1.jpg

Wheatley. Not only was the boss fight itself good, and difficult at points, but the final bit of it was just amazing... Because he nearly wins! You only survive through a bit of deus ex technologica and a wild idea. It just fits so well that I had to put it here. And I've not even got that far! It's my favourite boss just by watching my brother play it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 9: Favorite Boss Fights

Oh man, where do I start with this one? There are quite a few bosses, both easy and challenging, that I thoroughly enjoyed. I'd have to say that some of my favorite battles are...

The Colossus

Shadow of the Colossus

shadow_of_the_colossus2b.jpg

I couldn't pick just one battle as each one is a different experience in its own right. The battles are so massive and the music that plays while you fight these creatures is so fantastic. There's just so much action going into each fight and ways to figure out how to climb up on them, find their weak spot, and then stab the crap out of that area before it flings you off again.

Yami

Ōkami

okami_conceptart_i8mow.jpg

I enjoyed all of the boss battles in this game, especially Yami. While having my favorite soundtrack play in the background, being able to use all of your brush techniques in the end-all battle between good and evil is a very good feeling, indeed. Having to fight to regain your lost techniques from the beginning is an interesting addition that builds up for the last battle in his Claw-like red orb form against fighting the fully revived Amaterasu. It's a very fulfilling battle.

Runner ups: Nega Wisp Armor from Sonic Colors. Boss was easy as hell, but I loved the two different tracks and the way the battle plays out, especially when the wisps trail behind you as you slam and boost into the giant robotic wisp. Plus, I think the design is rather cool.

• Thumbs Up 2

First two are final bosses so I'll put them in spoilers:

Super Mario 3D Land's Final Boss

bosses1.png

Just damn, I know this technically isn't even a BOSS but more a pressured platforming section, but - what else would you do to end a Mario game perfectly? The music is also crazy epic.

Portal 2's Final Boss

830pxwheatleyangrycentr.jpg

I really liked fighting GlaDOS in Portal 1, but I hated how undramatic the boss fight was. Obviously it didn't feel that way at the time, just in retrospect. It also always bothered me that the final thing you do to defeat her is pick something up and put it in an incinerator. The game is called "Portal" not "Incinerator". I love that they came up with a boss design for Portal 2 where the final thing you do to win the game is shoot a Portal.

And two bosses spring to mind that are old enough (and not final enough) to be spoiler tagged:

Stallord from Twilight Princess

stallordjpg2d00610x0.jpg

An out-of-characterly epic, fast-paced fight for a Zelda game, and some wonderful usage of the spinner. The first half is pretty fun and original, and the second half was just damn cool.

Ghost Titan from Sonic Rush Adventure

srabigswell.png

I'm not sure what it is - there's nothing especially clever about this boss, but the whole thing was really really fun, and I especially love his final last ditch attack. Last ditch-attacks aren't uncommon in Sonic games for the "not-really-final" boss, but none of them make you panickedly wait until the absoloute last moment like this one does. Really got me tense the first time I played, and I love it when games do that.

Notable mentions: Biolizard from Sonic Adventure 2, Ghost Pendulum from Sonic Rush Adventure, Perfect Dark Gaia from Sonic Unleashed HD, Majora's Mask from Zelda: Majora's Mask, Dark Energy Reactor from Half-Life 2, the Final Boss from BioShock.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Boss_ridley2.jpg

Meta Ridley, Metroid Prime (yes, again, this game is superb).

Ridley is a recurring boss in Metroid games. He's in almost every single one (sometimes twice) and he is ALWAYS epic to fight. However, this is my favourite.

He's all metallic because he's been reconstructed, which makes him look really creepy. His theme is also more techno compared to other remixes of his theme, which is awesome anyway, so it has a great music piece. Then there's the setting: infront of the final area on a reasonably small round platform, once you've got all the items, in the pouring rain.

Then there's the boss battle.

It's a surprisingly long fight for a Ridley battle, drawn out and epic as he flies around firing lasers, dropping bombs on you, and sometimes coming down to attack you on the ground. But it's so epic, even if you're often waiting for him to fly back towards you. There's no real strategy otherwise: hit him when he is nearby, avoid his attacks (just like any other Ridley battle aside from Omega Ridley in Corruption, which is a bit tedious).

After 4/5 of his health is gone, his wings simply BURN OFF, and so he's forced to fight you on the circular platform you're both on. He can't fly anymore, you think, this will be easy then, right?

WRONG.

Meta Ridley only gets tougher at this point. He charges at you at really close range (you don't have much room at this point), only getting faster and more accurate as you lower his health (and to make things even more difficult, you get less and less opportunities to attack). He also jumps up and down, creating shockwaves, and often follows his charges with tail swipes. They seem like standard attacks, but they are done with such speed and aggression that even a simple tackle is a threatening one, considering how imposing Ridley is, how much bigger he is than you, and how small the platform is.

It's epic because it's so nailbiting, you're constantly under pressure, especially within the last 1/5 of the battle, and it only gets more exciting and heart-poundingly tense as you continue on. Being the penultimate boss, it's hard as nails, but it's so intense I can't help but love it. It's better than the final boss in my honest opinion.

Oh yeah Dark Samus's second fight in Prime 2 along with the later mentioned Quadraxis are also stellar. And a bunch of other stuff. Dracula in Castlevania is always fun to fight, fights similarly almost every time, but it's so fun because it's like a tradition that he'll use his fireballs and teleporting, then turn into a monster, or in rare cases, just go batshit insane.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1