Awoo.

Sonic Editoral for East of Nowhere (Currently on hiatus)

CrownSlayers Shadow

Yeah, I would like to contribute to this interesting project as well, specifically in the Characters and Gameplay categories. Is there a required length that our contributions have to meet?

Ideally, I'd like to keep it at less than 3 paragraphs, but it may be smaller depending on how things can work out.

So that's around 22 people so far. I've PM'd some folks so they may get involved as well.

Definitely on this, as soon as I type my final paper.

Also; Where the hell is DIo and his Classic gameplay rant?

• Thumbs Up 3

Also; Where the hell is DIo and his Classic gameplay rant?

I don't think something like that would get in honestly, as it is a very minority opinion.

I don't think something like that would get in honestly, as it is a very minority opinion.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Says who? I'm the main one in charge so far before getting some people to help with what goes in.

This isn't about who has the larger opinion. As far as it's going, if it's good enough to get in, it may very well get in.

If Dio won't make any comments about the lack of attention-to-detail with Classic Sonic, then someone else surely will.

It's a valid complaint for the 2D Genesis-style Sonic games that are coming out. Iizuka himself said that he sees the fanbase as a division of 2D and 3D. 2D makes up half of that, and if that isn't up to snuff, then half of Sonic is not up to snuff.

But what if it clashes with a majority of the article?

• Thumbs Up 2

Add my name to this list.

I guess the bulk of my dissertation (which is probably what it will end up being if I'm bothered enough) will be related to perception. It will involve parts of everything, but mainly dealing with the psychological issue of how the Sonic fanchise and the problems within it are perceived by people outside; or even buried too far within, the fanbase.

Add my name to this list.

I guess the bulk of my dissertation (which is probably what it will end up being if I'm bothered enough) will be related to perception. It will involve parts of everything, but mainly dealing with the psychological issue of how the Sonic fanchise and the problems within it are perceived by people outside; or even buried too far within, the fanbase.

In that case, some of your dissertation may be split among the other categories with a primary focus in the Fandom category.

I think I asked this before, but didn't get an answer. Is gameplay length an issue that needs addressing? Sometimes reviewers mark the more recent games (Rush games, Colors, Sonic 4, Generations) down for being too short.

Alot of the Sonic games in general tend to be very short in length.

Fixed.

Also, to add to this, based on Sonic Teams' overall experience and what we have received over the past decade or so, its either we get a good game that is very short (Generations) a game that is relatively decent, but has gameplay that, while not terrible, is unfitting for the intended genre (Sonic Adventure, Unleashed), or lengthy games that are...subpar (Pretty much everything else, though YMMV).

I think I asked this before, but didn't get an answer. Is gameplay length an issue that needs addressing? Sometimes reviewers mark the more recent games (Rush games, Colors, Sonic 4, Generations) down for being too short.

If you feel like addressing it, I don't see a reason why not. It's really a general thing, so it's really more whether you can fit it in with what you're writing.

So with all that stated, I've narrowed things down to a few points:

• Sonic Characters

If we're covering Sonic characters, then I would nominate Dr. Mechano to explain the awesomeness that is Eggman and why his resent "goofy" persona has made him way more dangerous. That is, it he wants too...

I believe he goes by the name now. lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, so Nepenthe has joined the fray. That makes 27.

In the mean time, I guess now's the moment where we get things under way. The first way I thought about going about this editorial was to split it into a 3 parter, with each part dealing with 2 of the points listed in the OP.

The first part would deal with the Fandom and the Characters, the second part on the Gameplay and the Story, and the final part on the What went wrong and the Gaming Media. That's just my initial way of organizing it. I was picturing having everyone's points limited at 3 paragraphs, but I'm wondering how lengthy that would be, and thinking about talking to Dead3ye about how to handle the length.

So what do you guys think? I'm open to any alternate ideas that sound good.

Alright, so Nepenthe has joined the fray. That makes 27.

In the mean time, I guess now's the moment where we get things under way. The first way I thought about going about this editorial was to split it into a 3 parter, with each part dealing with 2 of the points listed in the OP.

The first part would deal with the Fandom and the Characters, the second part on the Gameplay and the Story, and the final part on the What went wrong and the Gaming Media. That's just my initial way of organizing it. I was picturing having everyone's points limited at 3 paragraphs, but I'm wondering how lengthy that would be, and thinking about talking to Dead3ye about how to handle the length.

So what do you guys think? I'm open to any alternate ideas that sound good.

That works for me.

I'm gearing up to leave my place for Christmas break, and unfortunately that'll leave me away from a computer for some time, about 2 weeks at most.

I don't know if I'll be able to participate at this point. I can write my things in advance and PM them to you if that's okay?

That works for me.

I'm gearing up to leave my place for Christmas break, and unfortunately that'll leave me away from a computer for some time, about 2 weeks at most.

I don't know if I'll be able to participate at this point. I can write my things in advance and PM them to you if that's okay?

Yeah, go ahead and PM me and I'll have it saved just in case we get started before you get back.

In the mean time, I'm sending PMs to some folks who will assist me in what goes in the editorial and stuff.

So a little heads up. I've picked Dissident, Shadic93, Nepenthe, Marco, and Verte to lead in one the six categories we'll be discussing.

So far:

• Fandom
  • Characters - CSS
  • Gameplay - Shadic93
  • Story - Nepenthe
  • What went wrong - Dissident
  • Gaming media/press

We're waiting on Marco and Verte to pick between the two left.

With that said, there will be an introductory part that will be made before tackling the points. I will send an e-mail to Dead3ye in regards to this.

As for everyone involved, we'll try to get as many peoples voices in on the matter, but if push comes to shove, we may not have enough room for everyone's thoughts in each point. I'll discuss with those heading the points to help figure a way to balance this, but while that's being said here are some things to keep in mind:
    1. No inflammatory material. You may disagree with points (in or out of the fandom), but you will not bluntly insult those with whom you disagree with. If found, you will be asked to re-write it or it may not go in. Examples:
      • Good: "I find the idea of X to be silly" or "This completely disregards how X wasn't Y because of Z" or "It sounds like doing X is the cool thing to do, but here's y"
      • Bad: "This notion of X is stupid and so are those who believe it", or "If you think X is Y, then I worry for you", or "Only retards think X is great because of Y"

[*]I would ideally like everyone to make 1 paragraph on the points they will discuss, but you writings must be no more than 3 paragraphs. No exceptions. And try not to have each paragraph too long.

[*]Although we're making observations and points from in and outside of the fandom, keep in mind we're only speaking for those of us at the SSMB, so don't put yourselves up too highly over others as some may find that insulting. I find it better to acknowledge ourselves as the "Gray section of the Sonic fandom," but that's just me.

So with that said, be ready for when we make the next annoucement to begin your work.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I could make a suggestion, I think the article points might flow a bit better if the "Fandom and the Gaming Media," "Characters and Story," and "Gameplay and What Went Wrong" are grouped together. How the fandom is perceived and how the media at large portrays us typically goes hand-in-hand, and the viewpoints of the fandom could easily be contrasted with how the media feels (e.g., the quality of games like Sonic 4). Additionally, it's difficult to discuss the story without delving into the characters, therefore the story could make a nice springboard into the subject of characters. Furthermore, the gameplay and what went wrong have everything to do with each other, so they would definitely correspond well.

I realise how the points are paired is completely unimportant to the article, but I just thought this grouping might make things easier for the writers to develop and the viewers to read. Feel free to ignore this if you feel otherwise! ^-^;

Edited by Blazing Yule Log
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think that's a good idea, actually.

I'll bring it up with the others. It might better tie the points together than the original way I had it.

So, is this still going to happen? Seems the topic is falling into obscurity......

I would contribute, but I don't have enough to say on an of the subjects.

So, is this still going to happen? Seems the topic is falling into obscurity......

I would contribute, but I don't have enough to say on an of the subjects.

Yes, this is going to happen. The introduction section is under way with me and the other leading editors, but if you're itching for an update here's how things are going to be organized (credit to Blazing Yule Log for the help):

1. Introduction - Brandon formally set the stage for the lead editors Me, Verte, Shadic93, Marco, Dissident, and Nepenthe as we introduce ourselves for the editorial and for the SSMB.
  2. Gameplay and What Went Wrong - details a lot about how sonic played where they screwed up and how he plays now
  3. Characters and Story - Details with characters, reception of characters from fans and non-fans, the handling of the story and story elements, and how characters work in the story
  4. Fandom and Gaming Media - what goes on in the fandom online and offline, the split factions of the fandom, the gaming media towards the games and the fandom

And if possible, maybe a closing point so that those who weren't able to get their thoughts in on time are still able to get some recognition out of it. The details of the points aren't exactly rigid as I've laid them out so long as they stay in line with the discussion and standards.

Since we have almost 30 people contributing, I've been discussing with the others on a way to organize how people will contribute. No doubt everyone will have something to say in more than one category, so I think it would be fair if people could pick and choose their points they find themselves stronger in.

If you only have a point to make in one category, that's fine. But any more than that and you'll have to be considerate and share with others. I may allow 6 per category, but that's not a guarantee, and if you have a better idea so folks can share, then you're more than welcome to come up with one.

At the current moment, here's a WIP of the Introduction:

"Recently here at EoN we posted a review for Sonic Generations. My experience with the game was mostly positive, but as has been the case with the Sonic games as of late, there were a share of problems that hurt the experience for me. Sonic Generations was given a 3.5/5; a fairly solid 70% by Metacritic standards, but does fall below the games current average.

To my surprise, the review garnered a bit of attention within the Sonic fan community, a community that's existence I didn't think was a very strong one these days. To be honest, I didn't think one existed anymore at all. They felt a particular portion of my review that dismissed Sonic's friends in a negative fashion was a bit harsh and misguided. Intrigued by their points I joined the Sonic Stadium Message Boards (were the arguments were originating) and confronted them on their beliefs.

What I learned is that Sonic not only has a very strong fanbase, but that they are connected to the series in a way that the average video game media is not. Their ideas are strong, and they brought forth a lot of points that I found thought provoking. I have offered them a platform here on this site to talk directly about the series, and bring to light many points from a source more connected to the series than anyone else.

My experience with this community has been wonderful, and I think that all those in the gaming community should enlighten themselves on an old hero who hasn't seen the best of treatment these days. The points written about in this series will bring to question the direction of the series; what it has done wrong as much as it has done right, and look to the future to see what this passionate fanbase would like to see from the developers and how the treatment from the general media could change to better represent a classic gaming icon, faults and all."

-------------------------------

"The name's Kendal Lewis, and I go by the name ChaosSupremeSonic. It's a long and silly name, and most folks here just call me CSS for short. I've been a fan of Sonic since I started playing the Sega Genesis at the age of 3, and have been playing games like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Megaman, Assassin's Creed, Legend of Zelda, and plenty of other great titles. Despite all these games, I've been a much bigger fan of Sonic than anything. Once something becomes part of your childhood, it's kinda hard to get rid of it. I'm sure many other Sonic fans feel the same way.

I was one of the people who thought Brandon's dismissal of Sonic's friends were harsh and misguided, and I was the first one Brandon came to about the comment. He came as quite a shock from what I expected, and was very friendly, and honestly I'm rather glad he came and gave us this opportunity to make this editorial. We here at the SSMB tend to house fans from all over the spectrum, and despite the fandom being split we tend to get along more than you expect. On the forums we tend to pride ourselves as being one of the "grey areas" of the fandom, you can like what you like, but don't be a douchebag about it."

~ChaosSupremeSonic