Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

So what would you do if one day, you woke up and found a talking lizard in your bed, claiming to be a knight serving an all-powerful princess and telling you that the world's fate is in danger, and that you must lend your power to save it?

Yuuhi Amamiya simply throws it out the window. And this is how I got drawn into The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer.

I'm only a few chapters in so far, but this is already standing tall above most other manga I've read of the genre. It's an action/fantasy in which the heroes aren't exactly the idealistic archetypes that the aforementioned lizard had hoped for: Yuuhi, the male lead, is completely ambivalent to Earth's fate and has no interest in becoming a hero (he is quick to point out the sheer idiocy and nonsense that is recruiting an ordinary college student to save the planet), while Samidare, the princess, wants to save the world, only to destroy it herself - the lizard knight is not pleased to hear this. Of course, Yuuhi teams up with her because of their mutual sociopathy: he is blatantly attracted to her devilish psyche, the only reason he's participating in any of the events that are going on. So for once, it is an action manga told through the perspective of the designated villains.

It's gotten a few laughs out of me so far, and the art isn't ugly at all. The manga is very tongue-in-cheek concerning its genre; Yuuhi and other characters often reference the typical action, fantasy, and even romance comedy tropes, to the point where Yuuhi demolishes the "accidental" part in "accidental pervert," yet can keep a straight face about it all at once. Elements in the story such as the aptly named Biscuit Hammer, the ultimate weapon that is poised to destroy Earth in a single blow, and the talkative lizard knight are merely for surrealist purposes: the lizard, despite being a knight serving Samidare, claims to have absolutely no special fighting powers, so he's just an ordinary lizard who happens to talk. Of course, later on Yuuhi and Samidare join up with other knights (and their human companions) who forge an alliance to protect the planet Earth, yet they are ignorant of the couple's true intentions and unwittingly aid Samidare's goals to destroy the world.

It's looking to be a really entertaining read, and I say this as someone who has grown incredibly frustrated with the anime and manga mediums as a whole. The manga ended quite recently at 65 chapters, so it's not a terribly long, convoluted storyline as typical of more popular shonen manga.

Edited by Sean

Oh god, yesterday's GinTama was so amazingly sweet it almost had me tearing up at the end. D':

Also, whilst I liked it already anyway, I now have a newfound appreciation for Sket Dance after learning that the creator used to be an assistant to the GinTama creator. The first half of the crossover manga was awesome, shame I can't find the second half anywhere.

EDIT: Also I really hope my GinTama movie DVD arrives soon.

Edited by -Mark-

EDIT: Also I really hope my GinTama movie DVD arrives soon.

Thought you ordered that a while ago? Importing is such a bitch... Managed to finally get my Madoka blu-ray on Monday, totally worth $87... yeah... totally. Did some calculations by the time it's all said and done, Madoka is gonna run me $522 after buying each volume, for some reason... I just don't give a shit about the cost of it or the that I don't understand Japanese and just know what's going on from fansubs.

And since a fucking Walpurgisnacht ran through my town last week, I've been without power (just got it back yesterday) and need to catch up on the anime I was watching... Saw Deadman Wonderland... this anime sucks, I like the manga better, the anime is kind of slow and censored. Then I saw Gosick, which I really thought I was going to be bored of but somehow it keeps pulling me back in... And that was all I saw yesterday until the internet shut off temporarily.

Edited by Silencer226

Picked up Summer Wars on DVD today - as I should have done like in February. Looking forward to this.

And... I watched the 3rd episode of Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko a few minutes ago, this is probably the episode that's going to put me in for the long run. And wow, a male lead who isn't a punching bag or an absolute idiot, though a bit of a perv but really, what teenage male isn't... Trying to get back into Steins;Gate, so..., but right now Denpa is my favorite of this season, some licensing studio out there get it... fuckers can get another cliched loli tsundere show but not something that's interesting.

Edited by Silencer226

You can hate me for saying this, but although I like some anime, I think the majority of it is shite.

I’ve only ever had access to terrestrial TV in the UK, so growing up as a kid I could only watch Pokémon, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh, BeyBlades and Cardcaptors. And even then most were never aired fully.

I think when it comes to watching anime I’ve just had a lot of bad luck, like the time I rented Detonator Orgun or Virus Buster Serge, both of which were unwatchable. I did enjoy Macross Plus though, but it tended to drag a bit.

I’m sure anime fanatics hear this a lot but my favorite anime is probably Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I’ve compiled a list of the anime I’ve watched and liked below:

- Neon Genesis Evangelion

- Neon Genesis Evangelion: the End of Evangelion (Film)

- Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone (Reboot Film)

- Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance (Reboot Film)-

- Metropolis (Film)

- Steam Boy (Film)

- Oban Star Racers

- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Film)

- Laputa Castle in the Sky (Film)

- Princess Mononoke (Film)

- Spirited Away (Film)

- Howl's Moving Castle (Film)

- Kiki's Delivery Service (Film)

- Ponyo (Film)

- Vexille (Film)

I don't think anyone reasonable is going to disagree with you saying most of anything is shit, because that tends to be the rule for pretty much everything. Nice choices though, especially the Miyazaki films.

Also, this:

growing up as a kid I could only watch Pokémon, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh, BeyBlades and Cardcaptors.
Edited by Ekaje

You can hate me for saying this, but although I like some anime, I think the majority of it is shite.

I’ve only ever had access to terrestrial TV in the UK, so growing up as a kid I could only watch Pokémon, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh, BeyBlades and Cardcaptors. And even then most were never aired fully.

I think when it comes to watching anime I’ve just had a lot of bad luck, like the time I rented Detonator Orgun or Virus Buster Serge, both of which were unwatchable. I did enjoy Macross Plus though, but it tended to drag a bit.

You only watched a few and you think the majority is shit?

Nope. Nothing wrong with that logic.

Summer Wars!

...is pretty good, and about as technically good as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but not quite with the same emotional depth, although I did enjoy the focus on family. The romance feels tacked on because they drop that subplot almost immediately, but the ending was cute.

Funny how I discover that it's basically a remake of Hosoda's earlier Digimon film immediately after watching it.

Fucking Vocaloid in American Toyota ads, yo.

Funny how I discover that it's basically a remake of Hosoda's earlier Digimon film immediately after watching it.

My girlfriend told me Summer Wars was similar to a Digimon flick, but niether of us were aware they shared a director.

I gotta check out Summer Wars sometime.

To be specific, it's the second Digimon Adventures movie, Our War Game. It's only 40 minutes long, so Summer Wars is considerably more fleshed out.

Got the GinTama movie on DVD on Tuesday. Seen it before via download and fansub, but it's nice to own it legally. Also the DVD has proper surround sound, which is nice. The DVD doesn't have any English subtitles, but still. I've seen the movie fansubbed and read/ own the manga that the movie adapts, so I know what's going on for the most part, coupled with my limited knowledge of the language.

Also got volume 22 of the GinTama manga yesterday. Shame there's only one left now, since they're cancelling the English adaptation after volume 23. It does bug me at how little the translators seem to care, though. They quite frequently make blatant errors such as putting the wrong text in the wrong speech bubbles entirely, which means you have to stop, think and rearrange a panel in your head before it makes proper sense. Some running jokes are inconsistently translated within pages of each instance. I know GinTama isn't really well-known or successful, but it's just slapdash sometimes. It's painfully obvious they couldn't really care less any more.

Also saw the fourth Naruto Shippuden movie yesterday. Wasn't bad per se, but was still ultimately dull, uninspried and forgettable. I guess there's only so much you can do with Naruto (or any ongoing series) as a movie, after all, especially considering this is technically the seventh one. In the end they're all just ninety minutes of filler.

.......................What?

Anyways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i5wiv2dFQk

KYA!

Mmmmm.... Erza- er I mean wow, she wears a lot of armor. :P Fairy Tail is the only long anime I've been following... only because I was able to catch up to it, lol I'm not gonna attempt one piece, give me a wiki with some info and I'll pick up from there haha.

Mmmmm.... Erza- er I mean wow, she wears a lot of armor. :P Fairy Tail is the only long anime I've been following... only because I was able to catch up to it, lol I'm not gonna attempt one piece, give me a wiki with some info and I'll pick up from there haha.

Speaking of One Piece, it's nearing it's 500TH EPISODE O_O!

Speaking of One Piece, it's nearing it's 500TH EPISODE O_O!

Only a thousand episodes to go.

• Thumbs Up 3

Pokemon had it's 666th episode the other week...so...yerr.

OMGZ pokemanz is tring to currpt r children wth the devul!!

I've recently starting some mecha shows. Currently watching the first Gundam series via the compilation trilogy and the Gunbuster OVAs, the former being very good despite its age and the latter's first episode was rather slow but entertaining so far.

Edited by Ekaje

1268956879325.jpg

The original Gundam (the series and/or movie trilogy) is definitely one of my favorites. You're a very good man, sir.

So I watched 5 Centimeters per Second.

Um... yeah. I didn't find that sad. Actually I didn't find it interesting at all, either. I think it was too short to get me to care about the characters. Instead of crying, my reaction to everything was basically "well it sucks to be them."

Am I missing something here?

Watching Princess TuTu because I heard it gets dark and fucked up (I love shows that turn all dark and fucked up), so I'm giving it a shot... 10 minutes in, I learn a giant cat teaches little girls ballet lessons... WTF, I think we have a winner.

However... I'm really not digging the ballet shit... *so uncultured*

Edited by Silencer226