Awoo.

KHCast

I've seen pretty mixed feelings around the web about the Modern era in generations. People are fine with the other two era's in the game but apparently the Modern era is the worst. Personally i don't see why. Aside from Planet wisp the other two levels are in my top 3 of my favorite stages. What are your thoughts on the modern era of generations.(gameplay, presentation, levels,boss.)

Crisis City: For me I love this stage. I love the nods to the different areas crisis city had. While the platforms were originally my main gripe I've gotten used to it. I play this level first for some reason every time i start the game up. My only disappointment with the level is the lack of a skateboarding area and the Lack of halfpipes.(I mean they were shown in the hub)Oh well luckily if you've unlocked for classic sonic the ability to skateboard whenever you want you can activate it there.The design of the level is amazing. How they made the classic and modern version of the place feel so creepy and dangerous was just great. The music is also one of my favorite parts as well. Modern sound more like it's trying to remix the original while classic has all it's guitar and awesomeness! The iblis enemies are great but after looking at the iblis biters, they seem to have been less remade. Seriously they look almost the same to the original.

What i liked:Music,Look of level, Iblis enemies.

What i wish was there:The half pipes and skateboard section.

Rooftop Run: Another stage that seems to get mentioned a lot. I love how they were able to make it look more welcoming with the festival,confetti and balloons. It captures all the great moments we had with the original(The clock tower, the quick step area, the drift area)While making it more open and adding interesting parts.(the flying battery ship) Classic RR is pretty fun and THAT MUSIC! Really almost everyone seems to love that theme. The barrel part was cool. Giving us a werehog like segment. The act did seem the most blocky though.

What i liked:Going up the clocktower.biggrin.png THE MUSIC!

What I wish was there:Professor pickle, More werehog like segments for classic, and a reference to chip.

Planet Wisp: I'm going to say this right now...The level looks Freaking GORGEOUS! Seriously 10 steps up from the original. The best looking stage probably in the whole game. The forest and factory areas are just great to look at and give me that amazing feeling that i'm almost just playing sonic colors hd.(LOL at the wisps appearance at the beginning of the stage.) Note i said almost. Modern PW is not bad. But it's also not my favorite. The first minute and a half is great. going through the forest in full 3d. Then once you finish the quick step area you go all 2d. Now that's not bad. but the area just isn't my favorite. It's a confusing mess. At first i didn't know where to go. The transition from 3d to 2d just seems weird. The rocket wisp was cool but i wish more wisps like lazer made it's appearance. That was just modern....Now for classic. Now i don't hate it. but next to green hill it's not my favorite level in the game. The thing is just a mess. It's confusing and relies WAY to much on the spike wisp. Seriously 80% of the time you'll be in spike mode. Speaking of which I don't like the way sonic plays while in spike. I've sometimes got stuck in corners as it and have ended up going in the opposite direction i wanted to. Plus when your not spindashing around he's just slow. Now the levels not bad but just meh to me. The music is super catchy though.

What i liked:The regular wisps appearance, The music, Visuals, nods to other game and Modern sonic's opening minute and a half of gameplay.Reference to sweet mtn and the Mazuri tree.(The factory tower)

What i wish was there:More wips to use, better level design for both sonic's.

Egg Dragoon: I liked how they decided to recreate a werehog boss. It was cool to see how it would have played in modern gameplay. It was o.k but i did experience a few problems with the fight. The games Response was sometimes slow which would result in me losing some rings. Sometimes when it would transition from 2d to 3d Eggman would launch a attack before i could do anything. Aside from that The music didn't seem that much remixed. Also i liked the skydiving section. I wish a boss like the egg cerberus was used(preferably for Classic) But this will do . TIME FOR A CHANGE OF PACE!

That's what i have to say about the modern era. It has it's goods and bads but in the end it ends up being probably my favorite era to play through in Generations.(although looking through my gripes with the era i guess i can see why some people might not like it more then the other era's) What do you have to say about the era. It doesn't have to be as long as this BTW.

Edited by Classic Hedgehogs Boost

Personally I think the classic and dreamcast eras were great to play as both Sonics fairly evenly, but the modern era I found way more enjoyable to play through as classic Sonic than modern.

Crisis City seemed to be more frustrating than it needed to be (for modern Sonic), Planet Wisp has its problems for both classic and modern Sonic, although Rooftop Run I found to be great all round (although I prefer classic over modern, if only for the music).

So yeah, while I wouldn't say the modern era's stages are bad per se, I can totally see why people would think they're the weak link in the chain compared to the other two eras.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kinda enjoyed the modern era then the other two eras. The first two stages in the classic era is more simple and straighforward and the dreamcast era is two city stages in a row.

Personally I think the classic and dreamcast eras were great to play as both Sonics fairly evenly, but the modern era I found way more enjoyable to play through as classic Sonic than modern.

Crisis City seemed to be more frustrating than it needed to be (for modern Sonic), Planet Wisp has its problems for both classic and modern Sonic, although Rooftop Run I found to be great all round (although I prefer classic over modern, if only for the music).

So yeah, while I wouldn't say the modern era's stages are bad per se, I can totally see why people would think they're the weak link in the chain compared to the other two eras.

Definitely! When i go to the modern era i play the classic levels quite a bit. (Mainly crisis city. God that sandstorm.)Although i play the modern parts a lot to. And if anything classic rooftop run beats modern RR just because of the music.

If anything the modern era probably for me has the best music!

I kinda enjoyed the modern era then the other two eras. The first two stages in the classic era is more simple and straighforward and the dreamcast era is two city stages in a row.

Same with the modern era. Two city stages in a row. with a nature/factory stage.

Dreamcast:Two city stages and a nature/ruins stage.

Just pointin' out.

Same with the modern era. Two city stages in a row. with a nature/factory stage.

Dreamcast:Two city stages and a nature/ruins stage.

Just pointin' out.

Rooftop Run is a city stage..?

Rooftop Run is a city stage..?

There may not be any skyscrapers, but yeah. Spagonia would be a city, would it not?

While the gameplay for the modern era is solid enough, I feel like the stage selection itself could have been better. Rooftop Run was a great choice, but the other two? Eh. For me, Planet Wisp was my least favorite level in Colors. Don't misunderstand, it was never bad, it was quite good. But when I think of Sonic Colors, I think of Sweet Mountain, Aquarium Park, and Starlight Carnival. For me it's like if they had picked Hill Top Zone over Chemical Plant Zone. There's nothing wrong with Hill Top, but it's not exactly the best representation of Sonic 2, you know?

As for Crisis City...bleeeeeuuuuugghhhhh. I'll admit, Crisis City for Classic Sonic is actually really damn good. The Modern level is alright, though the 2D 'stomping sections' are a bit annoying. I just don't understand why this was chosen in the first place. I could understand it being used as a backdrop for Silver's fight, like how Stardust Speedway and Final Rush were for Metal Sonic and Shadow. But as an actual level? There were just so many other levels-even from the Modern era- that I would have loved to have seen instead. Can you imagine Dinosaur Jungle as a 2D classic-style level? Or hey, I thought the whole cyberspace thing from Shadow the Hedgehog was a pretty cool concept, if a bit silly. (Though that could probably be counted as a Dreamcast era game, if anything) And I haven't even mentioned the handheld games. Music Plant would have been fan-fucking-tastic.

Edited by Speederino

Planet Wisp is good but imo weaker than many other stages, but I won't go into it here as I already did in the other thread.

I loved Crisis City as both Sonic's, tbh. The music for and aesthetics for both are fantastic and very tense. Classic also has the amusing trollpost and then difficult platforming where the control is messed with, but not in a way that feels completely cheap. Modern's is more linear than I would have hoped but the fact it's challenging is nice. Jumping on platforms over lava feels very old school despite being the least old school like level in the entire series. It also has a nice variation on the mach speed section, with multiple tiers if you fall off (usually), which makes it less arbitrary. Modern's is one of my favourite levels in the entire game as it feels so tense and nervewracking all the way despite the fact they could have done a little more with it, which is my only major regret about the stage.

Rooftop Run, again, has amazing music for both Sonics. It's also the only level I'd never played originally in the entire of Generations (aside from Egg Dragoon). I actually rather liked it. Classic's was tough but it was also a lot of fun. Modern's was great though, probably not one of my favourite levels though only because it has a lot of competition. The alternate paths and shortcuts were great, and it was just fun to play.

Yeah I liked the Modern era tbh. I liked them all. I kind of get the impression people dislike the Modern era just because it's the Modern era in all fairness, with the exception of Planet Wisp, which people dislike because it's quite convoluted.

Rooftop Run was my most anticipated stage and it didn't dissapoint at all. It's just SO uplifting. I'm a big fan of the "Sonic running through a place that looks like OUR world" though so yeah. Taking my favourite stage from Unleashed and making it MORE platformey and uplifting - didn't think it was possible but they did it.

Crisis City is pretty great too and Planet Wisp is just "good" as I've discussed elsewhere.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the modern era is the best. Particularly Crisis City, which was the most deserving of the remake here since it was such a great concept but buggered up so badly in 2006. There's this strange contradiction going on where people want games to be challenging and yet they get mad when they keep dying. The complaints about Crisis City seem to all be about the bottomless pits without a 'lower route' to catch you, but those just add to the challenge and intensity of it if you ask me. There are homing targets etc. to help you around. I've heard people say Crisis City is as buggy as it was in '06, which is complete nonsense. I didn't encounter a single glitch, just unforgiving bottomless pits. The closest thing to a glitch I found was that red ring on the slope, which you can't run across unless boosting, it just doesn't seem to work naturally like a slope should, he sort of 'falls sideways' instead of slipping down it.

Spagonia is cool, I was surprised that Crisis City fit really well with classic Sonic but Spagonia didn't. Unleashed really did have it's own style. I liked modern Spagonia though, particularly the way it referenced sections of the hub world as well as the actual Rooftop Run area.

People are definitely going to disagree with me on this one, but since there were wisps in Planet Wisp, I'd have kinda liked to see Werehog references. Imagine like a 'Werehog wisp', like a power up, where you could temporarily turn into him and tear up the environment, kinda like the frenzy wisp... I guess it'd be unpopular though since the Werehog has a real bad reputation, heheh...

• Thumbs Up 3

People are definitely going to disagree with me on this one, but since there were wisps in Planet Wisp, I'd have kinda liked to see Werehog references. Imagine like a 'Werehog wisp', like a power up, where you could temporarily turn into him and tear up the environment, kinda like the frenzy wisp... I guess it'd be unpopular though since the Werehog has a real bad reputation, heheh...

And on that note, I kinda wanted to see some Team Based stuff in Seaside hill, like, I dunno, Tails and Knux being in item boxes or something? :v But yeah, people would've hated that too. It just feels weird to me for only one of the 3 "gimmick-games" stages to have it's main gimmick actually used and referenced.

Edited by 'Ferno

I don't agree with a "werehog powerup" for RR but I was at least expecting one of the acts to be set at night and have the badniks replaced with Dark gaia monsters ala Crisis City. It would be the best way to at least acknowledge the Day/Night system in Unleashed without forcing "Hog of War" gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think aside from City Escape the Dreamcast Era was my least favorite.

Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp were all fantastic.

I really like all the levels but I find Crisis City a pain at some points and the Colours levels are just so loooong! I didn't finish Colours though because although I think it's very pretty, I found it kind of boring because I don't like the wisps so I didn't expect the like the levels in Generations.

Era-wise, I don't have a preference. I love Sky Sanctuary, Speed Highway and Crisis City, which are of course of different eras. Rooftop Run is probably my least favourite. It doesn't interest me visually as much as say Planet Wisp, lacks the nostalgia of something like Chemical Plant and just didn't seem as fun as the other Modern stages.

For me, each era has equal advantages and disadvantages. I'd probably favour Classic if it wasn't so damn easy.

I think Planet Wisp was far and away the worst stage in the game. Between all the pink wisps as classic and the factory section in modern being just about entirely 2D, I just was not a fan at all. And of course it was the longest stage too.

That being said, Crisis City and Rooftop Run were both great levels. It was really cool to see what Crisis City could be like sans glitches. But for Rooftop Run (and Planet Wisp too, for this matter), well, it just hasn't been long enough for me to be nostalgic about it or want a remake of it. And I understand why they put it in. I don't think it was a bad idea per se, but especially with the type of game Generations is, I feel it's inevitable the modern remakes won't be appreciated as much as some of the older ones..

After looking at crisis city more I really want to see Kingdom Valley in hd as a dlc stage. Or see the Egg cerberus remade for Classic sonic. Or if any other modern era levels made it maybe a SATSR level(Night palace or dinosaur jungle anyone) Or a Shadow the hedgehog level(Digital circuit.) It would definitely Enhance my love for the Modern era even more. Or just remix some other modern game tracks.

Seeing another colors stage wouldn't be bad either.(PLEASE BE SWEET MTN OR AQUATIC PARK!) Just please make it better than pw.(Again nor bad but not good for me.) And give use some other wisps to use. Like drill or lazer.

To be honest the modern era was kinda disappointing. I didn't expect RTR or wisp but well that's what I got. And out of the three, RTR was oddly the best out of the group. The level design in both modern and classic were fantastic. While I did not like the music it didn't hurt that I changed that stages song to endless possibilities or race to win. Crisis city is a great stage (both versions) no doubt but modern's music was what set it below par for me. I really wish modern has classic's music and classic's was something else. Oh well. Running that stage with it doesn't matter behind it made me fall in love with that stage. Wisp was by far the weakest stage in the game. I mean really, I loved the spike wisp in colors but only being able to use it over.....LAZER or FRENZY was a slap in the face. As for modern's level it was perfect....up until you got to the factory area. That's what killed the whole stage for me. I've never been so upset with a sonic stage til now. And the remix's were....YAWN! But to redeem the modern era, Silver's rival fight was spot on along with Egg Dragoon and Dragoon's hub. I shit bricks when I heard E.G.G.M.A.N.

Chemcial plant from classic era, and all of the dreamcast era was perfect. I never knew how boost happy chem plant was and how many different routes that stage had. Speed highway was a stage from god. Seaside was spectacular to look at and City Escape's music was.........pure uncensored sex. After playing GHZ a million times and RAEG quiting sky sanctuary (yes i hyped that stage to heaven and back) I can no longer enjoy those like I wanted too. The only thing that really hurt the dreamcast era was perfect chaos. But even that was fantastic. Classic's Egg Robo was a bitch for me (yes I noob'd that my first playthrough. SHUT UP!) and metal was well too easy even for a first rival.

To be honest the modern era was kinda disappointing. I didn't expect RTR or wisp but well that's what I got. And out of the three, RTR was oddly the best out of the group. The level design in both modern and classic were fantastic. While I did not like the music it didn't hurt that I changed that stages song to endless possibilities or race to win. Crisis city is a great stage (both versions) no doubt but modern's music was what set it below par for me. I really wish modern has classic's music and classic's was something else. Oh well. Running that stage with it doesn't matter behind it made me fall in love with that stage. Wisp was by far the weakest stage in the game. I mean really, I loved the spike wisp in colors but only being able to use it over.....LAZER or FRENZY was a slap in the face. As for modern's level it was perfect....up until you got to the factory area. That's what killed the whole stage for me. I've never been so upset with a sonic stage til now. And the remix's were....YAWN! But to redeem the modern era, Silver's rival fight was spot on along with Egg Dragoon and Dragoon's hub. I shit bricks when I heard E.G.G.M.A.N.

Chemcial plant from classic era, and all of the dreamcast era was perfect. I never knew how boost happy chem plant was and how many different routes that stage had. Speed highway was a stage from god. Seaside was spectacular to look at and City Escape's music was.........pure uncensored sex. After playing GHZ a million times and RAEG quiting sky sanctuary (yes i hyped that stage to heaven and back) I can no longer enjoy those like I wanted too. The only thing that really hurt the dreamcast era was perfect chaos. But even that was fantastic. Classic's Egg Robo was a bitch for me (yes I noob'd that my first playthrough. SHUT UP!) and metal was well too easy even for a first rival.

YOU DIDN'T LIKE CLASSIC RTR?!! YOU MUST BURN!!! I liked the modern music out of the 3 eras the most. But that's just me. So let me get this straight, the level design was good pretty much but because of mainly the music that's what was disappointing? I also liked modern pw music. Not as much as Crisis city modern and classic but it's good.(Crisis city modern seems to capture the original but change it up quite a bit.) Classic is okay to me.

Kidding. about the you must burn thing.But why don't yo like Rtr classic or modern music?

YOU DIDN'T LIKE CLASSIC RTR?!! YOU MUST BURN!!! I liked the modern music out of the 3 eras the most. But that's just me. But the level design was good but becaus of mainly the music that's what was disappointing? I also liked m pw music.

Kidding. about the you must burn thing.

Classic RTR was a great stage and a great challenge. I just didn't care for the music for either RTR. Classic CC was probably the best remix in the whole game.....then Modern city escape.

Classic RTR was a great stage and a great challenge. I just didn't care for the music for either RTR. Classic CC was probably the best remix in the whole game.....then Modern city escape.

But why didn't you like either remix of RTR?Were they bad?

Probably because for some Crisis City was a drag and a step back, while Planet Wisp classic is a bitch.

I will admit next to green Hill, Crisis City is the worst modern Stage. It's super Linear with nothing but the boring stomp section going on later. A section with more curvy highway or the board running up and down on sideways sky scrapers or a 3D platforming section in the tornado wind tunnel was needed. Otherwise the 2D was pretty lame and the 3D only got interesting at the slight wall run and end. Classic seemed to be a pain for some people but the troll at the end made it worth it.

Rooftop Run is easily one of the best from Modern and Classic. No qualms there.

Planet wisp was amazing for it's natural areas, especially in 3D. But the classic is bogged down by being "last level long" with one tedious gimmick that was too sticky. If other wisp powers were there and there was less factory grind I think more people would appreciate it. While I like the massive 2D modern part, the 3D at the beginning was amazing. The 2D section just went on for too long methinks.

The Genesis Era has the best visually appealing levels, the Dreamcast Era has the best fast paced levels, and the Modern Era has the best boss battles.

Edited by STrainer